A New Coat of Arms Thread

Rough idea for a West Frankish HRE Coat of Arms.
1692121495296.png

Basically the early one headed one of the OTL HRE, but with a more...
Roman colouring? So with a golden eagle infront of a red backround.

image.png

Accidentally posted it in the wrong thread.
But here's a CoA for Weimar Germany pased on OTL proposals for both a double headed eagle and using a people's crown.

Here's a badge I just did of a fictional Canadian Army formation in the universe of my stories, the First Canadian Air Cavalry Division (1 CDN ACAV DIV):

View attachment 755290

FIRST CANADIAN AIR CAVALRY DIVISION/PREMIÈRE DIVISION DE CAVALERIE AÉRIENNE DU CANADA
Dundurn, Saskatchewan

A ring Or surmounted in base by a billet fesswise Gules edged Or inscribed with the words FIRST over PREMIÈRE Argent, ensigned by the Royal Crown proper, environed by nine points surmounting a wreath of maple leaves, in base a scroll Or inscribed with PRIMUM AD BELLANDUM in letters Sable; within the ring, Azure over Buff Brown divided by a bendlet sinister Or, over crossed sheathed cavalry sabres Argent with handles Or in sheathes Brown with bucklings Argent, a Pegasus passant Argent, with mane, horn, wings, tail and hooves Or.

Set within the recently-approved badge frame of a Canadian Army division/formation crest (see here: Badge Frame for Divisions, Groups and Army Formations of the Canadian Armed Forces | The Governor General of Canada (gg.ca)), the 1 CACD badge encorporates the two primary colours of the RCCAC (sky blue over buff gold/brown) divided by a gold line as two colours can't come together without a medal (silver or gold) separating them. The Pegasus is the traditional corps symbol, as are the sheathed cavalry sabres. The red background in the unit sign indicates this is the first such division in the Canadian Army; such is always symbolized by red on tradtional formation patches. The motto PRIMUM AD BELLANDUM (First to Battle) indicates the RCCAC's purpose in scouting, identifying and attacking (if required) enemy formations to ensure ground forces are not overwhelmed; this follows the Corps of Air Cavalry's unofficial motto "We Fight So Others Go Home".

Note: This is something of a hatchet job as I don't have anything like a decent graphics program; I had to do this on Paint 3D on a laptop with lots of pasting and copying. Even more so, the sabres on the badge are copied from the US Cavalry Corps' insignia as I couldn't find the equivalent British cavalry sabres I could use in the image. I also would have had the pegasus on the badge rearing on its hind legs instead, but this will do none the less. If anyone can improve on this, they're more than welcome to.

Got a link to the stories?

Hi. I was wondering if I could get two coats of arms for my Traveller campaign. I'll load up the red sun for example. I just need one with a black flame in the center and one with a white flame in the center. Thanks so much.

Dave

Attachments

• 110px-Imperial_Sunburst-Sun-IISS-Traveller.gif
    110px-Imperial_Sunburst-Sun-IISS-Traveller.gif
    610 bytes · Views: 114
Here's a badge I just did of a fictional Canadian Army formation in the universe of my stories, the First Canadian Air Cavalry Division (1 CDN ACAV DIV):

View attachment 755290

FIRST CANADIAN AIR CAVALRY DIVISION/PREMIÈRE DIVISION DE CAVALERIE AÉRIENNE DU CANADA
Dundurn, Saskatchewan

A ring Or surmounted in base by a billet fesswise Gules edged Or inscribed with the words FIRST over PREMIÈRE Argent, ensigned by the Royal Crown proper, environed by nine points surmounting a wreath of maple leaves, in base a scroll Or inscribed with PRIMUM AD BELLANDUM in letters Sable; within the ring, Azure over Buff Brown divided by a bendlet sinister Or, over crossed sheathed cavalry sabres Argent with handles Or in sheathes Brown with bucklings Argent, a Pegasus passant Argent, with mane, horn, wings, tail and hooves Or.

Set within the recently-approved badge frame of a Canadian Army division/formation crest (see here: Badge Frame for Divisions, Groups and Army Formations of the Canadian Armed Forces | The Governor General of Canada (gg.ca)), the 1 CACD badge encorporates the two primary colours of the RCCAC (sky blue over buff gold/brown) divided by a gold line as two colours can't come together without a medal (silver or gold) separating them. The Pegasus is the traditional corps symbol, as are the sheathed cavalry sabres. The red background in the unit sign indicates this is the first such division in the Canadian Army; such is always symbolized by red on tradtional formation patches. The motto PRIMUM AD BELLANDUM (First to Battle) indicates the RCCAC's purpose in scouting, identifying and attacking (if required) enemy formations to ensure ground forces are not overwhelmed; this follows the Corps of Air Cavalry's unofficial motto "We Fight So Others Go Home".

Note: This is something of a hatchet job as I don't have anything like a decent graphics program; I had to do this on Paint 3D on a laptop with lots of pasting and copying. Even more so, the sabres on the badge are copied from the US Cavalry Corps' insignia as I couldn't find the equivalent British cavalry sabres I could use in the image. I also would have had the pegasus on the badge rearing on its hind legs instead, but this will do none the less. If anyone can improve on this, they're more than welcome to.
the crossed sabers is really hard to see. You might want to put a smaller version above the flying unicorn or else behind the badge itself.

Also, and there might be something in your ATL explaining it, the cross sabers to represent cavalry is a US army thing, not a Canadian one OTL.

Inspired by this thread, I've created the coat of arms of Cumberland (Union/Republic/Federation); yesterday, I've attempted to add both myrtle wreaths and a motto scroll, but I think this design is more than enough:

View attachment 869253
I mean, "arms" is literally just the shield and what's on it. Everything else counts as, IIRC, "achievements" in the way English labels heraldry. So the toise and Phrygian cap together form a crest, which is part of the achievement of arms for your Cumberland.

There's a common labelling convention that I encounter over and over in German, Dutch and Luxemburgish traditions, namely the Lesser, Middle and Greater Arms. The Lesser Arms are the shield itself. Sometimes with a crest too. The Middle Arms are then shield plus crest plus motto as well, or a coronet of rank in place of the crest, especially in some systems, e.g. Spanish and Portuguese municipal arms. Then the Greater Arms are the full kit and kaboodle - the crest, the supporters, wreath and/or chains of orders (e.g. the Spanish arms with the chain for the Order of the Golden Fleece), the compartment (the 'shelf' below the arms), the pavilion (big tent-like object behind the arms, if there is one), the motto, etc.

So you could easily have just the arms as the Lesser Arms, then add the extra elements as Middle or Greater Arms :)

@ramones1986 As @Cydonius wrote above, the 'arms' is just the shield (there's some diagrams of the various parts of coats of arms here, here and here). But, as also noted, you can add various things to the shield to get lesser, middle or greater coats of arms (for example, those of the Netherlands and Denmark). Those could be, as you have above, just a helm (the cap in your case) and torse - a bit like shown in this page (in Dutch, but the diagram's quite clear).
So basically, I think it's fine as it is.

From my fascist Italy timeline, the coat of arms of Slovenia

97EauE4.png

-The coat of arms of Slovenia is blue, with a white crescent moon and three gold stars
-A medal of the the Order of Saint Gregory (created in 1969) hangs around the arms
-Two bouquets of red carnations (the national flower) on either side, below the coat of arms
-A pale blue banner with gold text bears the national motto, "Prva in Prava" (First and True)

500px-Coat_of_Arms_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

Coat of Arms of the United Kingdom of Scotland, Ireland and the Isles (as used in Scotland - I'll hopefully get around to making the Irish and Isles versions too at some point).

I may yet revise this because as you can see there are currently no elements distinctly representing the Isles!

View attachment 890752

Coat of Arms of the United Kingdom of Scotland, Ireland and the Isles (as used in Scotland - I'll hopefully get around to making the Irish and Isles versions too at some point).

I may yet revise this because as you can see there are currently no elements distinctly representing the Isles!
Yes, I can see the Irish might be annoyed how there are so many Scottish crowns, though I suppose not like there is any Irish crown that could be used for something like this. Would the term United Kingdoms be better suited here, given that it is not a new name like when they did the United Kingdom of Great Britain? And is the Isle of Man English here or is it a part of this union? If so, having the three semi-swastika legs somewhere could work. Maybe also have the deer trampling a snake or something? Ahhh, and you will need some flower to represent the isles. Maybe the clover flowers? Though it might look too similar to the Scottish thistle. One that the Scots choose many because it was colorful and impressive looking, unlike the ones Norseman reportedly stepped on during a silent raid. Also interesting to see the Irish harp in two places, given how they need to be warped to fit different sections. Though I just realized I missed a part of what you wrote, and there will be three versions of this, explaining the Scotland heavy stuff.

(Moved from accidental post in request thread) Made these coat of arms for the post-UK breakup nations of that 2056 world i made up for a comic, but the worldbuilding got out of hand. Scotland is not included because it canonically just reverts upon independence to it's 1603 Coat of arms. (Also England, Wales and Scotland still share the King of England as Monarch)
Coat_of_arms_of_2056_England.png
Kingdom of England (Had to make a Wiki and a link to the file because my computer kept rejecting the English coat of arms as too big) (Link to the actual file: Here)
Northern Ireland.png

United Nations Mandate of Northern Ireland.
Wales_coa_2056.png
Wales (Same problem as England, link to actual one: Here )

Last edited: