A more intense Cold War?

A question I was thinking about is how could one get a more intense Cold War? That is to say there is more hostility and suspicion between the West and Communist nations but not to the point of full blown nuclear war. One thought I had is that there is no Sino-Soviet split, but is that possible?

MacCaulay

Banned
Like how? We already fought numerous proxy wars, funded god knows how many local knuckleheads who promised to go our way, and things like that. When you think about Korea, Vietnam, Malaya, the South African Border War, the Berlin Airlift, and the Soviet invasions of their own satellite countries in the 50s and 60s, I don't know how much crazier it could've gotten without getting hot.

I guess you'd have to be more in depth with your question.

Sachyriel

Banned
Coca Cola negotiates the right to sell "Coca-Cola Utopia", a new drink, in the Communist Sphere's most populated areas as well as trial markets in Capitalist areas.

The resulting riots fuelled by caffeine-chugging conspiracy theorists who see this as a sign of the end forces both sides to their knees, ending in the busting up of a few nation states:

• USSR
  • USA, which reforms into smaller states with Canada and Mexico unable to fend off nuclear-toothed N00B Nations
  • China, in more ways than one
  • Australia has a sudden Immigrant/Aborigine Alliance vs White Supremacists thing going on that gets really complicated
  • France which is kind of like Australia, but in French
  • Spain, where neo-facists have gathered to "Re-enact the Civil War"
  • Brazil, where the military uses a nuke in the advance over the rest of S. America, regrets had by everyone
  • India, in the end the Afghanis are the ones occupying Kashmir)
  • Japan, each of the home islands has a supposedly 'real' Emperor after an assassination
The surprising amount of unifications that take place include:

• Germany and Poland and Denmark, without any of Austria
  • Austria and Switzerland, without any of Hungary
  • Vatican and Italy, Italy having a Theocratic Regime
  • Israel and Palestine, because of independent nuclear deterrents on both sides giving them slim prayers for the Holy Sites if they're not friendly
  • South Africa and those two little dots inside it (Lesotho and Swaziland)
Do you want to try a can?

coca-cola-utopia.gif

Lack of a Sino-Soviet split would help. Requiers stronger Pacific fleet to balance it.

Bascally you simply need one side to get more aggressive.

Could have Reagan come in in 76. Some recent discussion of that. The US could be pushing back earlier when the Soviets are not quite so worn down.

Or have a weaker US that encourages Soviet adventurism. Let the dominoes lead to a communist insurgency in Mexico, with US involvement leading to sympathetic terrorism by hispanic gangs in the US.

Leads to backlash, crackdowns, higher military spending, counter support of anti-communist movements in Eastern Europe, construction of SDI or THor system, ect.

wormyguy

Banned
Like how? We already fought numerous proxy wars, funded god knows how many local knuckleheads who promised to go our way, and things like that. When you think about Korea, Vietnam, Malaya, the South African Border War, the Berlin Airlift, and the Soviet invasions of their own satellite countries in the 50s and 60s, I don't know how much crazier it could've gotten without getting hot.

I guess you'd have to be more in depth with your question.
I think he means that active confrontation between the superpowers continues between 73-80, instead of Detente.

Rebel

Banned
Perhaps greater Allied succes in Italy leading to a postponemnt of Overlord, with it being launched at some later date (No idea when). This then allows Soviet conquest of at least Germany and Denmark, maybe some of Greece or Finland. Or perhaps an even earlier PoD, a German victory at Alamein, only to be defeated later, but still allowing for a Soviet advance reaching France. Other than that, and earlier Soviet invasion of Manchuria and Korea could help raise tensions, with it happening before Barbossa for whatever reason, and perhaps Hokkaido being formed into a Soviet puppet. I dunno really.