A Crack at Draka: ME's Attempt at a Better TL

How much of the very-dark-red (I mean, darker than Dominion red) territory in Africa is administered by the United Kingdom and how much by the Draka? The territory in British pink is obvious, but I'm not sure about that bit.

The red you're speaking of shows territories under the administration of corporations and groups part of or allied to the Consortium. In the case of West Africa, the British government takes a hands-off approach and so the colonial government runs it according to their own interests as long as it doesn't conflict with the metropole. As such, the Draka have leeway there, but not as much as in their own lands. For one thing, serfdom doesn't exist but corporate wage-slavery does.

Well, the blocification of the world continues nicely... I'm sure this happy and stable world situation will last for many generations to come!

(Oh, Quebec, so alone... so doomed... :()

Actually, Quebec has decided to become the Switzerland of the Americas.

Will there be any ghouloons in this TL ? http://smstirling.wikia.com/wiki/Ghouloon

Definitely not. I would if it were plausible, but it is pretty much Lego genetics.

Definitely not. I would if it were plausible, but it is pretty much Lego genetics.

You could have *Ghouloons. I don't know, chimps with growth hormone and a delayed maturation rate so the brains can develop a bit more or something. Or use old Human genetics and make like Homo Habilis with excess testosterone and growth hormone. (Some DNA from that age might be salvageable with a bit of filling the gaps with modern humans.)

You could have *Ghouloons. I don't know, chimps with growth hormone and a delayed maturation rate so the brains can develop a bit more or something. Or use old Human genetics and make like Homo Habilis with excess testosterone and growth hormone. (Some DNA from that age might be salvageable with a bit of filling the gaps with modern humans.)

Well, the Draka of the middle and later 20th Century will be very biotech and genetic engineering happy, so in those regards humanity will be significantly more advanced than IOTL, but I don't know enough about our progress or the likely advances to speculate what it would be like.

Genetics

Well, the Draka of the middle and later 20th Century will be very biotech and genetic engineering happy, so in those regards humanity will be significantly more advanced than IOTL, but I don't know enough about our progress or the likely advances to speculate what it would be like.

If the Draka go into the biological sciences it will be probably used for improving agriculture. Crops that use less water, more salt tolerant and so on. Public health campaigns and better nutrition to make sure workers and soldiers are healthier like we did after the Second World War. Genetics in the 20th century will be used to identify diseases but nothing like the Stone Dogs.

If the Draka go into the biological sciences it will be probably used for improving agriculture. Crops that use less water, more salt tolerant and so on. Public health campaigns and better nutrition to make sure workers and soldiers are healthier like we did after the Second World War. Genetics in the 20th century will be used to identify diseases but nothing like the Stone Dogs.

Somehow this got me to thinking that these Draka, immune from the 'do no wrong' powers the original ones had, will be all over Soviet-style mega-engineering. I'm sure they can come up with something equal in tragedy to the Aral Sea.

Something involving Lake Victoria would be apt

Lake Victoria is a bit too robust for that, and surrounded by perfectly arable land held by people who'd rather the government not be messing with their lake. Chad would be better. Sahara ain't gonna irrigate itself!

Speaking of which, is that at all possible? It seems like something the Dominion would try and attempt.

Lake Victoria is a bit too robust for that, and surrounded by perfectly arable land held by people who'd rather the government not be messing with their lake. Chad would be better. Sahara ain't gonna irrigate itself!

Speaking of which, is that at all possible? It seems like something the Dominion would try and attempt.

I don't know about possible, but it was at least considered. Dream big, Draka! If they get to Egypt, they could also play around with the Qattara Depression.

Public Works

I see Hydroelectric power being big along with river transport. Some sort of Green Wall of trees/grasses to try and contain the Sahara from spreading south.

Somehow this got me to thinking that these Draka, immune from the 'do no wrong' powers the original ones had, will be all over Soviet-style mega-engineering. I'm sure they can come up with something equal in tragedy to the Aral Sea.

I'm sure they can (and will?)...
The Quattara as reservoir and a hydropower project would require tapping into the deep aquifers that lie underneath parts of the Sahara. Think the closest significant one is in Libya. Maybe the Nile.

Chad doesn't have the appropriate topography for hydropower but conceivably could be a reservoir.

Good practice for future terraforming projects off-world. ;)

Quebec? A Switzerland for the Americas?

No. No. No. She is . . . How you say? An easy target?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'

that sounds even better than the original