28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

Excerpt from "Gods Green and Pleasant Land: After Infection" published 2012.

Timsons General Store had traded in the village of Tethby since 1921, with the same family passing the business down the generations. It remained open , the owner stubbornly refusing to close even though no new deliveries had come in for ten days . The shelves were almost bare with only cleaning products amongst other things still for sale. Still, he kept the shop open in the hopes of a new delivery. Likewise the post office remained open, though it saw almost no business either with most people using it as a place to sit and have a coffee or tea. Even the local primary school was still open, despite an official government closure of all educational facilities .

Some 532 people called Tethby, Lancashire home. Miles from any major towns ,cities or motorways the village had been spared the chaos of the outbreak. There were no infected for at least twenty miles in either direction and thus far none had wandered into the village. This was mostly down to luck and geography than anything else.

People walked their dogs and played bowls on the village green and attended Sunday church services. People read two week old newspapers over and over or read old books to pass the time. The power grid had failed days earlier and the radio and television stations had gone with it.

To put it simply, this was a village in denial. People wanted to carry on with their quiet lives as they always had. They simply pretended the outbreak hadn't happened. The villages four police officers stood guard at makeshift barricades on the entrances to the village with shotguns donated by local farmers . A neighbourhood watch armed with shotguns and cricket bats had formed to support to police officers in keeping the village safe though it would not be enough should a large force of infected come though. Fires in the bigger cities had driven many infected into the countryside , though Tethby remained safe. The Community Council had taken all the food and bottled water in the local shop and the cafe and stored it in the church hall where it was rationed out to the population. Likewise the local farmers also supported the village by donated their produce. As the older residents said "we're all in this together, just like the war."

Tethby would ultimately survive the collapse of Britain and form a trading community with other small villages that survived the outbreak. Across the United Kingdom, several hundred small villages would pull through the outbreak either due to geography or sheer luck, or usually a combination of both. Indeed over 20,000 people across Britain survived in small hamlets that were out of the way. These would ultimately come together as a trading block and eventually uniting together to restore a sense of government over the shattered land. After American forces withdrew from their repopulation operation in the UK and the European Outbreak started, the loose alliance of small villages and towns across the UK banded together even stronger and restored law and order across parts of the country. The Blair and later Gordon Brown administrations based in Belfast would make contact with this alliance of towns and villages and agree to work with them. With Europe shattered by violence from the infection, the British government in exile moved back to mainland Brirain, where the infection had long since burned itself out, establishing itself in Richmond, North Yorkshire initially along with several hundred British Army personnel who had come along with them. This would ultimately set the stage for Britain to become one of the safest countries in Europe ironically. Within ten years of the outbreak, mainland Britain had a population of 60,000, of which 5,000 were French and Belgian refugees who had fled across the channel when the outbreak hit Europe.

Where was I during the Rage Outbreak of 2002?

Before I start, I have to say this: I am a millennial. I was born on September 4, 1996. I am part of what people call the 90's kids: the generation that grew up after the fall of communism, the victor of capitalism, free market, and democracy, the rise of globalization and technology, the appearance of great TV shows, movies, and videos games. The dawn of the new millennium brought both hope and fear to the world. Hope in the sense it would bring a prosperous future on what humanity has envisioned a 100 years before such as flying cars, robots, hoverboards, etc. And fear since many people thought the world would end on the midnight of January 1, 2000 in which the Y2K bug was supposedly to affect computers worldwide; causing the crashing of bank accounts and nuclear missiles flying from their silos or submarines. Surprisingly, none of this came true until almost a year or two later.

One of the biggest impact of a millennial or a 90's kid would be both the September 11, 2001 Attacks in the United States and the Rage Outbreak of 2002 in Europe. When the 9/11 attacks occurred, I just turned five a week before and was watching the evening cartoons on TV. It was nighttime here in Cebu City, Philippines. When my brother changed the channel and saw on the TV the Twin Towers burning, we both thought it was a movie. He was only eight at that time. I went to sleep afterwards. It was on the morning I realized how serious the attacks were. My family and our household helpers were glued to the TV. My mother said she saw the news in the hospital that evening. It repeated the footage of the planes hitting the World Trade Center, the Pentagon on fire, and another plane crash in a rural area. Later, I went to school and I saw some of my teachers and the principal talking about the 9/11 attacks. Even my classmates thought it was movie with one guy, if I remember his name: Jette Calderon, stating that "He was Twin Towers and he fell down." I do not blame him for acting that way for he was the same age as I was. Later that afternoon, I get dropped off at my grandmother's house as my dad is still at the hospital (Both of my parents are doctors). As I was about to watch Legends of the Hidden Temple on the Games and Sports segment of Nickelodeon; my aunt, my grandmother, and their household helpers were also glued to the TV watching the news of the attacks. The following days to come, my parents told me that those who were responsible for the 9/11 attacks had connections with the bad guys in the south (of which I later find out to be the Abu-Sayaff group*[1]). There, the sense of the relative peace of the 90s era was gone, as it was sure no one was safe from these terrorists. America and its allies then concentrated their forces to bring down the terrorists: from Afghanistan to East Africa, from Central Asia to India, and to Southeast Asia.

When the Rage Outbreak began in the United Kingdom in the May of 2002, I was already finished with Kindergarten level 1. It happened during my summer vacation. One day, my parents were watching the TV of the situation unfolding in Cambridge. Apparently, with my young mind that time, I thought it was a group of crazy people fighting over somethings. But days later, I remember it was announced on the news that those "crazy people" were indeed infected with a disease. The disease, called the Rage Virus, would turn anyone into a person with homicidal aggression. The infected would then attack anyone near them, regardless of relationship. The main methods of attacking were from using their bare hands, their nails, their teeth, or by vomiting blood on their victims' faces. If lucky enough, those beaten badly would not turn into the infected but those who managed to survive will turn into the infected and hunt for more victims. I remember my parents would shield me away from the TV. Once I knew, I kept on crying and crying, scared that the infected may soon reach the Philippines. When I was a kid, I was really scared of zombie movies. These things I saw on TV, they were like zombies but the media refuses to call them such, since they are not technically dead and are comparable to rabid dogs.

A week into the outbreak, Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo mobilized the Philippine National Police and the Armed Forces. They held exercises on how to respond in case an outbreak occurs in the country. Video footage showed heavily armed troops backed by V-150 Commandos, GKN Simbas, and Scorpion Light tanks with MD-520 light attack gunships, UH-1 Hueys, and OV-10 Broncos in support "retaking" an infected rural town in a simulated exercise. My dad used to say with the weak state of our military and police, in no doubt would the Philippines fall. He did mention should an outbreak in Metro Manila occur, then whole country would collapse. He also mentioned once that even though President George W. Bush would promise to send aid to the Philippines should the Rage outbreak be severe as per the 1951 Mutual Defense Treaty, America may not intervene at all due to "interests." Around this time, all major airports around the country such as the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Pasay City), Mactan-Cebu International Airport (Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu), and Davao International Airport (Davao City) saw an increased presence of policemen and soldiers armed with M16A1s, MP5 submachine guns, and Uzis. British and European nationals were often quarantined for long hours at the airport under heavy guard. In the hospitals, my dad and mom told me they had some form of "self-defense" and "evacuation" procedure just in case of a Rage outbreak. At the schools nationwide, Citizens Army Training (CAT) became even more prominent as students were trained to shoot an M1 Garand, an M16A1, or a M1911 should the need arise to form a "volunteer army" as what the British did when the situation became even more dire. I already heard that our paramilitary forces, called the Citizens Armed Force Geographic Unit*[2], are slowly being incorporated to the regular army. Meanwhile, there was an order to evacuated Filipino citizens still in the United Kingdom, although I'll never know how successful the evacuation went since there are many of them there.

My dad was also getting concerned now that 14 days into the outbreak, several British had settled as refugees in Europe, with some settling in Ireland, the U.S., Canada, Australia, and even New Zealand. We had a British neighbor who married a Filipina. They had two kids, whose name is Jessica and Kyle Knight. They are both British-Filipino. Kyle is just a few months older than me. I was concerned what he thought of his homeland. He told me once when we were playing that he could not wait to serve in the Royal Navy so he could fight the infected once he grew up. There were also many British tourists here in Cebu, usually in Mactan Island where there are many beach resorts or in the red-light district of Mango Avenue where there are many strip bars that attract foreigners. From what I could see, there would always be an armored personnel carrier backed by a truckload of troops, SWAT, Special Action Force (SAF)*[3], and regular police officers in areas where there are numerous British or European tourists. As London fell, I remember my dad buying a Glock 17 pistol and a Ruger Mini-14 rifle. He told us that this is necessary for home defense. My dad also laid out an evacuation plan: should the Rage hit Cebu, we would seek shelter in some islands that are sparsely populated such as Bantayan Island or the Camotes Islands. We actually followed the British government's retreat to York, then to Edinburgh, then to Belfast on the news.

When the Europeans finally stopped letting refugees in, I think the whole country gave off a sigh of relief. Of course, we remained vigilant. I would later learn from the news that the infected are starving and dying off. We then followed the news of the repopulation of mainland Britain. However, the world's nightmares would soon be confirmed. A second infection broke out in the repopulated London Zone which was firebombed by the United States Air Force. That would not be the end, as the infection reached France, then slowly made its way to Belgium, Germany, Poland, and several other countries. This occurred around December 2002; I was already six years old. Never in my life would have I seen the French deploy nuclear weapons in their own soil, a very sign of desperation. My dad told me those kinds of weapons were not used since World War II when the Americans dropped the bomb twice on Japan to make them surrender. This time, the enemy is someone or something that could not be intimidated. The infection then consumed its way through Central Europe and was now on its way to Eastern Europe. I remember my dad going to the grocery store and started packing up on food, water, supplies, fuel, and other weapons. He then started to book tickets to Camotes Islands; as he told our household helpers to home to the province with their family. My first helper, the one was with us even before my brother was born in 1993, went back to the town of La Libertad, Negros Oriental. I knew she had the advantage since Negros Oriental has a big mountain which could be used as a refugee. My other helper went back to her home in Bantayan Island. We then stayed in Camotes for a week, my dad refused to work back at the hospital for the sake of our safety. We were joined by many others who too were fearful of an outbreak reaching the Philippines. We were still in Camotes when we heard the infection had encroached Russia, but not far off. Once we heard it was contained and that it would not reach Moscow, we went back home and told our helpers it was safe to return.

I learned that despite the damage, many countries in Europe survived by virtue of natural geographic barriers. Spain, Portugal, and Andorra survived, as well as Switzerland and other countries isolated by mountains. The French had relocated to the island of Corsica. Other nations had done the same or had collapsed. Russia has "liberated" some of the Eastern European nations from the infection. Others thought that Vladimir Putin was going to revive the Soviet Union but at this point, I was just glad the infection was contained. My family did take note of the irony that the United Kingdom became one of the safest places in Europe once the infection had hit the continent. I was glad to know the Philippines did not report any infection.

In April 2003, I graduated from Kindergarten. I entered Primary School that July, and the Rage outbreak was still the most talked about topic. Two years later, when I was 3rd Grade, we had two British expat classmates: Daryl Burkill and James Cole. Daryl was born in Hong Kong while James (I forgot where he was born) managed to be in the right place when the Rage hit. Those two were always asked by teachers and students on their thoughts or where were they during the Rage Outbreak. In April 2009, I graduated 6th Grade as the Valedictorian. By that time, an outbreak of H1N1 was reported in Mexico causing another mass hysteria. Thankfully, the Mexican government quickly eradicated the infected pigs and sought quarantine measures, often jointly with the United States. I entered high school that July, and yet the memory of the Rage Epidemic still haunted the miles of the people. In my last year as a high school student in 2012, around the time our school had a Filipino Month*[4] dance program, word came out from the CDC and WHO that a vaccine for rage has been found. Majority of the world commented the vaccine came too late but was nonetheless grateful just incase the Rage might resurge again in the future even with WHO declaring Rage to be extinct. I graduated high school on April 18, 2013 and took B.S. Biology in the University of San Carlos - not to far from my former high school; with the passion to be a doctor. Many people, including my friends ask me what I'll do if Rage would occur when I am a doctor; I said to them I'll have to make sure I have to be armed even if it would mean smuggling a gun to my office/clinic. In June 2015, I took up Microbiology as a subject and our professors discussed the Rage Epidemic when we talked about virus. I guess 13 years later, the memories of the event still lodges in our mind. In September 2015, after a few days I turned 19, I watched on TV headlines that Andy Harris, a.k.a. the 21st Century Hitler, had been executed by firing squad due to him causing the Fall of Europe to Rage. Personally, I felt that he is not to blame since he was still 9 years old when he escaped the UK with his sister and a rogue U.S. Army pilot. I know for sure that he is not responsible for the infection that brought the United Kingdom and Europe to its knees. We do not even know what kind of experiment the U.S. did to him or where they kept him (CDC or Area 51 is anyone's guess).

Now, it is March 31, 2017. I am now 20 years old and about to graduate college and get that degree in B.S. Biology. I will graduate on April 10, 2017. I will proceed to medical school afterwards. My life has been well recently. Just last October, I met this girl from Coquitlam, British Columbia. Her name is Mikaella de los Reyes; she's part Chinese-Filipina. The day I met her was the day after she turned 17. After an exchange of conversation and telling to her I am biology student, she did share to me how Vancouver saw lots of well-off British refugees that escaped to Canada as the Rage took over the UK. From what I researched, the British mainly settled in Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, and many isolated towns in Nova Scotia. That is also what my friend Albert Ybañez to me. Albert graduated in high school the same year as I but in a different school. He moved to Surrey, British Columbia in 2013, then to New Westminster around 2014 or 2015, before coming back here to Cebu for cheaper education. To be honest, I do have feelings for Mikaella because she is down-to-earth, honest-to-God gorgeous but I do not know when I will ask her out on a date. I just hope the Rage Virus will never return again when I am about to ask her out. I have so many plans to do in this world.

Since it is now 2017, this will be the 15th Anniversary of Rage Epidemic in the United Kingdom and Europe. I cannot believe even in my life time I would see an event that should only exist in science fiction and horror movies. Never I thought would I see a virus with the ability to turn a human into an unstoppable killing machine. Eventually, nature and humanity triumphed but the horrors of this Epidemic will always be lodged in everyone's mind regardless if one was directly affected by it or not. It too is lodged in forever in mind, of which I would share to my children in the future should I have one. I cannot believe that I have have seen the biggest and the worse defining moment of the 21st century at a very young age.

Those who do not learn from history are bound to repeat it. - George Santayana
-------------
Notes Section
*[1] Abu Sayyaf (Arabic: جماعة أبو سياف‎‎; Jamāʿat Abū Sayyāf, ASG; Filipino: Grupong Abu Sayyaf) is a Jihadist terror group based in and around Jolo and Basilan islands in the southwestern part of the Philippines, where for more than four decades, Moro groups have been engaged in an insurgency for an independent province in the country. They were responsible for several terrorists attacks, such as the Rizal Day bombings in 2000, just prior to 9/11.
*[2] The Citizen Armed Force Geographical Unit (CAFGU), variously called Citizens Armed Forces Geographical Unit, Civilian Armed Forces Geographical Unit, is an auxiliary paramilitary unit of the Armed Forces of the Philippines. The CAFGU was created on July 25, 1987 when President Corazon C. Aquino signed Executive Order No. 264 entitled "Providing for the Citizen Armed Force". The creation of the unit was based on the "clear, consolidate, hold and develop" strategy adopted by then-Defense Secretary Fidel V. Ramos in dealing with insurgent-infiltrated villages. The CAFGU are mostly armed with World War II surplus weapons such as the M1 Garand, the M1 Carbine, the M1 Thompson, and the M3 Grease Gun. Occasionally, they are seen armed with the M16 assault rifle and the M14 battle rifle.
*[3] The Special Action Force (SAF) is one of the elite forces of the Philippine National Police. The SAF was formed on May 16, 1983 and is tasked with VIP protection, high profile public security, and counterterrorism. They are somehow considered a paramilitary force of the police, bordering between a SWAT and the Special Forces of the Philippine military.
*[4] Filipino Month (Filipino: Buwan ng Wika) is usually celebrated in schools throughout the country for the entire month of August.

Last edited:
Here is a mock news clippings/headlines on how the Rage epidemic unfolded.
The Philippine Star
"RAGE Virus" affects the UK
Malacañang Palace in contact with the Philippine embassy.

Related Stories:
  • Security increased at airports, seaports, and bus terminals.
  • Thousands of British nationals stranded.
  • Palace orders the evacuation of Filipinos in Britain.
  • CAFGU to be incorporated into the regular Army.
  • Increase in sales observed among guns, weapons, food, and survival equipment.

From the Philippine Star (May 7, 2002) on the headline "Rage Virus" affects the UK

London, UK - Thousands dead and many still missing after a previously undiscovered strain of virus, in what the British Ministry of Health dubbed as the "Rage Virus," swooped in Southern England has overrun Cambridge and the surrounding towns. The area has been described as a "warzone" by the Ministry of Defense, with streets littered with dead bodies, blood, car accidents, fires, and scenes of destruction.

The infected, colloquially called as "Ragers," have been described as "wild and rabid. In addition to that, these so-called Ragers exhibit uncanny movement, blood-shot eyes, incoherent growling, and foaming from the mouth. They are known to projectile vomit blood. They are known to attack the nearest victim when possible, either beating the victim to death or vomiting blood on its face. The victim, if not grievously injured, would return as one of the infected and will search for victims.

The British military has been mobilized to maintain order in Cambridge with a strength of 15,000 soldiers and reservists backed up by armored cars, tanks, and helicopters. NATO and the United States have pledged military support to the United Kingdom should the need arise. Police and other services are currently held down in the evacuation of thousands of terrified citizens. The evacuation has been described as "chaotic" with traffic jams reported throughout highways across southern England.

Meanwhile, the Malacañang Palace has been in contact with the Philippine Embassy in the United Kingdom. The embassy in monitoring the situation in southern England. So far, there have been no reported Filipino casualties in Cambridge nor the surrounding towns. "We are closely monitoring the situation here. We will enact measures to protect Filipino nationals here in the UK. For now, we strictly ban our nationals to travel to Cambridge and southern England which is affected by this disease." said Cesar B. Bautista, the Ambassador of the Philippines to the United Kingdom. "Filipinos here the UK should come to our embassy here in Central London to verify their safety so we could relay this information back to Manila. Should the need arise, this embassy will provide support to affected Filipinos in the area." He added.

President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo sent her condolences to Prime Minister Tony Blair in a telephone conversation. "We are saddened to hear of the disaster that unfolded in Cambridge and the towns around it. We like send our condolences and our prayers to the great nation known as the United Kingdom as the Philippines in solidarity with the international community." She further added that the Department of Foreign Affairs, along with the British Embassy in Manila, would support stranded British nationals in the country.
------
Do you have a relative living in the United Kingdom or currently residing there? If yes, you may contact the following numbers: (international rates apply):

Embassy of the Republic of the Philippines
6-11 Suffolk Street, London SW1Y 4HG
Tel: (+44) 20 7451 1780
Fax: (+44) 20 7930 9787
E-mail: embassy@philemb.co.uk

Opening Hours:

Monday-Friday 09.00-13.00 & 14.00-17.00
Monday thru Friday, except Philippine and UK bank holidays

British Embassy Manila
120 Upper McKinley Road, McKinley Hill
Taguig City Manila
1634 Manila
Philippines

Email: ukinthephilippines@fco.gov.uk

Telephone+63 2 858 2200

Fax (Chancery)+63 2 858 2216

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday - 8:00am to 4:45pm

THOUSANDS OF BRITISH NATIONALS STRANDED
British tourists.jpeg

British nationals line up to board DFA-chartered buses that
will bring them to the British Embassy in Taguig City.

Manila - After the United Nations declared a no-fly zone over the United Kingdom, thousands of British nationals here in the Philippines have been stranded. Though the Philippines has no direct flights to the UK, most of these nationals were supposed to board connecting flights to China, Hong Kong, Japan, or Singapore. Most of the British in the Philippines were tourists or businessman on a holiday or a meeting when the Rage Virus swept the UK. The British Embassy has offered around the clock support for the British stranded in the Philippines by offering them hotels to extend their stay or by providing flights to nearby Commonwealth countries such as Australia, Brunei, Malaysia, New Zealand, and Singapore. Australia and New Zealand, two Commonwealth nations in the Pacific with much closer ties to the UK, have since offered their country to house any British nationals stranded abroad. "We will do everything we can to protect and support our citizens here in the Philippines, from providing hotels or for temporary resettlement within Australia or New Zealand until this crisis ends." said the embassy spokesman.

I would have been two years old at the time of this Rage Epidemic. My mother would have been heavily pregnant with my younger sister, who was due to arrive in under two months. Living in rural mid-Kent, if appears we would have been overrun by Day 20.

I suppose there are three realistic possibilities if my family hoped to survive: (1) Stay put, and hope that our relative isolation from larger settlements might shield us; (2) flee north and hope to find refuge on the Isle of Sheppey (unless I missed something, we don't know its fate ITTL. It's very possible that it could survive relatively unscathed, probably hosting a large proportion of the population of northern Kent.); (3) flee south to the ports and the Channel Tunnel, seeking passage to the continent.

I doubt the last option would go very well, given the outbreak in France just a short while later. Unless, of course, we were chosen to resettle Dover or Folkestone - which might be plausible given that we are from Kent. Maybe I would get to see the ruins of my home one day. Hopefully my mother could give birth to my sister somewhere safe.

Did I miss it, or was the fall of Kent to the infected not addressed? Not a criticism, if so (I know you can't cover everything), just interested to know whether people tried to flee to the remote parts of the Kentish downs/woods, to Sheppey, or to the continent.

SECURITY INCREASED AT AIRPORTS, SEAPORTS
AND BUS TERMINALS
naia-security-1.jpg

Heavily armed security personnel backed by a K-9 Unit guard a portion of NAIA. The
Philippine government is doing all measures to prevent the Rage virus from spreading in
the country.
Following the outbreak of the Rage virus in the United Kingdom, security and countermeasures has been tightened in the major airports, seaports, and bus terminals. Major airports which include the Ninoy-Aquino International Airport (NAIA), Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA), Clark Freeport Zone, and Davao International Airport saw the increase of heavily-armed police, K9 units, and soldiers.

Passengers both departing and arriving were subject to screening on a thermal camera. Passengers suspected to have come from abroad or had contact with any British national were subject to quarantine until it was clear they had no symptoms of the infection. Those who were quarantined were given their rights and protection but were observed under heavy-armed guard. Several passengers were not pleased with this but government officials insist that all appropriate measures of preventing Rage to spread to the Philippines must be done.

thermal-digital-scanners-NAIA-Quarantine.jpg

Passengers are scanned through a thermal camera as they arrive in NAIA.

Here are pictures of police and military drills done in the Philippines on how our government would have responded to an outbreak of Rage. This was seriously enacted when the Rage already spread to continental Europe.

Philippine-National-Police-SAF-2.jpg

Philippine National Police Special Action Force (PNP-SAF) commandos and SWAT operatives backed by a military V-150 APC, prepare to take on a bus full of "infected Ragers" in a simulated exercise. The use of heavily armed commandos and armored vehicles is a very significant method to neutralize the infected should the Rage Virus arrive in the Philippines.

Armored-vehicles-10.jpg

A convoy of police vehicles and military armored vehicles during a Rage virus countermeasure drill.

pnp-checkpoint-003.jpg

PNP Checkpoint in Manila.

Transcript of AP wire reports from the outbreak (inspired by 1983 Doomsday news reports )

AP DEVELOPING STORY:

4 May 2145: CAMBRIDGE, ENGLAND : local sources in Cambridge are reporting that rioting and vandalism has broken out in and around Cambridge University. Unverified claims by eye witnesses claim a number of people have been assaulted . Police are said to be responding now.

2205: Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge confirms at least seven people have been killed in the sudden onset of violence tonight, including two police officers. There is a heavy police presence in the town centre according to locals in the area and several roads have been closed to the public.

2215: Confused reports coming from central of Cambridge regarding a fight between two groups of police officers. On scene reporter described several officers "covered in blood lunging at their colleagues right along side the rioters". DEVELOPING

2234: Cambridgeshire police public order units have been dispatched to restore some semblance of order. Riot police have clashed with rioters near the train station. Unverified claims that there has been a major incident either at or near the train station. DEVELOPING

2255: CONFIRMATION : Between 10 and 20 people have been killed during an attack on a train that had just pulled into the train station. Rioters stormed the train and assaulted passengers. Emergency services have been unable to reach any potential injured people due to the presence of rioters. Still no motive behind the violence though police have ruled out terrorism, despite not giving any reason behind that rationale.

2342: Cambridgeshire Constabulary confirm the deployment of armed response officers to support their unarmed colleagues to regaining control of the inexplicable outburst of violence. Members of the public have been urged to stay behind locked doors and await further instruction.

5 May , 0012: Police confirm the death of three ambulance crews at three different locations in Cambridge. The crews had been attempting to provide aid to the injured when they were attacked. Confirmation has just come in that all ambulance and fire crews in the area have been ordered to travel with a police escort.

0030: UNCONFIRMED reports that all police and emergency personnel have been ordered out of central Cambridge for their own safety and are to regroup on the edges of the city centre and establish a perimeter. Eye witnesses have confirmed rampaging mobs several hundred strong running amok breaking into houses and attacking people at random. Police confirm they have been overwhelmed with 999 calls and can't respond to everyone.

0200: Reliable sources claim that over one hundred people have been killed in the past six hours since the violence first began, though that number only includes bodies that have successfully been recovered. There are believed to be many more bodies strewn all over the town. Hundreds more are feared dead.

0225: The Chief Constable of Cambridgeshire Constabulary has released a short statement urging people to stay in their homes for the time being and report any suscpious activity to the police. He has confirmed that the Home Office has been informed of the situation.

0250: A spokesman at Number 10 has confirmed confirmed that the Prime Minister has been woken and briefed on the situation. Prime Minister Blair is expected to make a statement in a few hours.

0300: BREAKING: Downing Street has confirmed that the Prime Minister is chairing a meeting of the emergency COBRA committee. DEVELOPING.

0321: Multiple sources are reporting traffic chaos on the M11 as thousands of people attempt to flee the ever worsening violence ignoring official advice to remain indoors. Overstretched and exhausted police forces are struggling to spare resources to direct traffic and battle rioters at the same time. A call has been put out to neighbouring police forces to send support.

.... TBC (feel free to add your own also)

Last edited:
AP WIRE: Continued from previous report

0421: Traffic attempting to leave Cambridge town centre being turned back or redirected by police officers wearing gas masks. At least twenty people have been detained after refusing to follow police instructions. DEVELOPING.

0512: Several fires now burning out of control across Cambridge. Fire service unable to respond to to heavy rioter presence in the area. At least fifteen firefighters have been killed since the start of the crisis last night.

0600: Eye witnesses in Colchester report unusual movements around the army base. Soldiers wearing combat gear seen embarking lorries.

FLASH*FLASH*FLASH
0640: Two separate sources in the British Ministry of Defence confirm to AP that Colchester Garrison has been placed on high alert to to the crisis in Cambridge. Actual deployment to Cambridge still being discussed in Cabinet.

0735: Cambridgeshire police have reiterated their call for the public to remain calm and stay behind locked doors. Rioters should be avoided at all costs. All schools and public events in Cambridge have been closed/cancelled until further notice. Some schools have been converted into temporary shelters.

0800: All hospitals in the affected area are now full to capacity with people injured during the violence, some reports suggest some of the victims are displaying symptoms similar to rabies, though that remains to be confirmed. In addition, we have received confirmation that Cambridge has run out of body bags and that all morgues are full to capacity. Refrigerator trucks are being used to store bodies. The death toll remains unknown at this point but one senior doctor suggested "we're looking at thousands dead."

1134: All attempts to contact Cambridgeshire police HQ in Huntington have failed. The Home Office has confirmed to AP that they too have been unable to contact the police HQ.

1200: All contact with both officials and our correspondents in Cambridge and Huntington has been lost. Nobody is answering phones or emails.

1345: People from Cambridge who have been displaced by the rioting have been trading rumours of some kind of viral outbreak. They described rioters as acting like rabid animals, attacking loved ones and strangers alike. This remains to be confirmed however we have reached out to the Department of Health for a statement.

1532: Search and Rescue operations have been suspended in Cambridge indefinitely. The MoD declared an air exclusion zone over the town and civilian aircraft have been turned away by police and military aircraft.

1645: Amateur footage aired on the BBC shows rioters storming Addenbrooks Hospital in Cambridge. Patients in the intensive care unit were savagely beaten to death in their beds . The staff member who filmed the footage escaped via an air ambulance from the roof and sent the recording to the BBC. The shocking scenes have led to panic in neighbouring communities who fear they might be next.

*FLASH*FLASH*FLASH
1730: Prime Minister Tony Blair to make a statement shortly.

1750: PM Blair has declared a state of emergency in Cambridgeshire and orderered the armed forces to assist the emergency services in rolling back the violence. A 7pm to 7am curfew has been declared with those who ignore it being threatened with "serious consequences". He refused to answer questions regarding the potential of some kind of viral outbreak and said that investigations into the cause of the violence were underway.

TBC

Those Philippine security measures wouldn't do much good; the Rage virus effects would be obvious, BTW...

Just doing my own version for the sake of alternate history. Yes, should the rage have reached the Philippines, the country's major cities would fall. But the Philippines has the advantage of being composed of widespread islands. Even if the major provinces fall, many isolated islands would survive. Some provinces are even mountainous which would make it safe to hold out.

ITTL, I'd assume the Philippine government would enact measures to prevent the spread of rage, from deploying the army to quarantining British nationals. Thankfully, the Rage never even spread to Asia.

I wonder what a certain radio show host in Austin, Texas would say about the Rage virus...

That radio show host would encourage the survivalists and open carry citizens to arm themselves, stock up on food, water, supplies, ammo, and fuel; and to form a militia of armed people (ala The Night of the Living Dead).

chankljp

Donor
Those Philippine security measures wouldn't do much good; the Rage virus effects would be obvious, BTW...

Just doing my own version for the sake of alternate history. Yes, should the rage have reached the Philippines, the country's major cities would fall. But the Philippines has the advantage of being composed of widespread islands. Even if the major provinces fall, many isolated islands would survive. Some provinces are even mountainous which would make it safe to hold out.

ITTL, I'd assume the Philippine government would enact measures to prevent the spread of rage, from deploying the army to quarantining British nationals. Thankfully, the Rage never even spread to Asia.

I interpret the Filipino government's actions as one of those cases of, 'The government must be seen as doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING, during a crisis in order to give the impression of being in charged, and keep the citizens calm'.

But in terms of security measures... How long can the Rage Virus survive outside of a host body? Can a drop of blood or saliva be stuck on a British nationals' backpack while he escaped from his country. A 13 hour flight later, someone at baggage handling who happened to have a small wound on his fingers touch that spot on the backpack....

I interpret the Filipino government's actions as one of those cases of, 'The government must be seen as doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING, during a crisis in order to give the impression of being in charged, and keep the citizens calm'.

But in terms of security measures... How long can the Rage Virus survive outside of a host body? Can a drop of blood or saliva be stuck on a British nationals' backpack while he escaped from his country. A 13 hour flight later, someone at baggage handling who happened to have a small wound on his fingers touch that spot on the backpack....

In terms of the spread of the virus, since its fast, it would be noticed before the plane arrived in the Philippines. Remember that Manila has no direct flights to London as of 2002 (In OTL, direct flights to London were introduced in 2014/2015). Also, since the quarantine, the Philippine government most likely have turned down any British citizen trying to enter the Philippines. The British nationals I mentioned are those who were in the Philippines when the Rage broke out and therefore, were stranded in the country.

As for baggae handlers, the authorities must have told them to wear gloves and other personal protection equipment (same with SARs, Swine Flu, etc).

(Posting this a day late)

May 4, 2017

The world commemorates the 15th anniversary of the Rage Epidemic of 2002, first spreading throughout the United Kingdom and then to continental Europe. It was the worst pandemic in human history, even worse than the Black Death and the Spanish Influenza of 1918. It was also the worst humanitarian crisis in history, with millions displaced.

The Rage epidemic, however, would provide humanity a harsh lesson on how to handle diseases and unethical clinical trials. In 2012, the vaccine for Rage was discovered and in 2015, the last remnants of Rage was finally eradicated with the execution of Andy Harris in Diego Garcia in the British Indian Ocean Territory.

The world will never forget the horrors of how illegal, unethical experiments will cause the downfall of the human race. Extreme and appropriate measures have since been implemented so that a repeat of the Rage Virus will never rise again.

What would happen to the British Overseas Territories as the Rage consumed UK and Europe?
So far, only The Falkland Islands were mentioned in which the Royal Navy withdraw and it became under the temporary protection of the U.S. Navy and Marines.

Here my thoughts on what happened to them:
  • Akrotiri and Dhekelia - It's possible some RAF and military personnel were pulled out to defend mainland Britain. They could have also aided the Greeks in their retreat to the islands. Possibly also helped in accepting refugees from the Mediterranean.
  • Anguilla - Could have accepted some displaced British from the mainland.
  • Bermuda - Same with Anguilla above. The Royal Bermuda Regiment may have been deployed to help the British military reclaim Great Britain
  • British Antarctic Territory - No doubt to safest place for a British citizen to escape to, but there is no means to get to Antarctica, and it's a very inhospitable environment. The scientists could have stayed there until their supplies ran out so that they could have moved to the Falklands or South Georgia.
  • British Indian Ocean Territory - site of U.S./UK military base. Too far out to deploy troops to the Royal Navy or personnel to the UK. It would be ideal for refugees to settle however it is restricted for civilians to enter. Site of Andy Harris execution in 2015.
  • British Virgin Islands - Same with Anguilla.
  • Cayman Islands - Same with BVI
  • Gibraltar - Some British may have evacuated here after refugee camps in Spain became full. The Royal Navy and the Royal Gibraltar regiment based there may have been deployed to the UK to help in the evacuation.
  • Montserrat - Same function with BVI.
  • Pitcairn Islands - Another safe place for a British refugee because it is isolated in the South Pacific. Unfortunately, it is too far for a refugee to settle.
  • Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha - May have housed some refugees. Their isolation in the Atlantic makes it ideal for any British fleeing the mainland. Contingents from RAF Ascension may have been deployed in the evacuation of the mainland.
  • South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands - Just like nearby Falklands, could have fell under the temporary protection of the U.S. Navy
  • Turks and Caicos Islands - same with BVI

I get this thread is set as the movie came out, but imagine if it were to happen today in the current global political situation...

chankljp

Donor
I get this thread is set as the movie came out, but imagine if it were to happen today in the current global political situation...

I think that even IF the virus managed to be contained to just Great Britain, the sheer amount of panic that it will cause will be enough to utterly crash the global economy. It will be a 'Fall of Rome' kind of situation for the entire modern world as we know it...