1950s "Limited" Nuclear War

So we win - what’s preventing us from becoming paranoid, xenophobic and prone-to invading/nuking any country we see a potential threat?

Nothing. At all.
Actually, I suspect that's the probable result.
Why hasn’t anyone written a TL about this?
Would it be too pessimistic for Americans to write?
Or would it be too boring with the US creating nuclear voids left and right and annexing the rest of the globe

Last edited:
I doubt the US could actually effectively enforce any real "global nuclear ban" without placing so much stress on itself that it comes apart, resulting in new nuclear powers arising anyways. It would either have to eventually accept other nuclear powers or follow the path of OTL Soviet Union of excessive militarization, authoritarianism, and eventual stagnation/collapse.

Last edited:
I doubt the US could actually effectively enforce any real "global nuclear ban" without placing so much stress on itself that it comes apart, resulting in new nuclear powers arising anyways. It would either have to eventually accept other nuclear powers or follow the path of OTL Soviet Union of excessive militarization, authoritarianism, and eventual stagnation/collapse.
I assumed the same actually; I also don’t see the public supporting more than a few victorious occupations on the scale of Iraq and with the commies gone (and Islamism, other ideologies not big at that time) not that much of a reason to keep invading places

The same rationale as the First Gulf War could be used and weirdly enough, interventions to topple pro-American dictators that outlived their usefulness.

Also, I’m not sure how a post-WW3 US would view non-Christian religions now that the godless reds are gone. On one hand, confidence in the superiority of Christianity would be higher but on the other hand, other religions (at least in WW2-era guides for troops stationed in India, Burma, Egypt etc.) were never considered a threat

Last edited:
Or would it be too boring with the US creating nuclear voids left and right and annexing the rest of the globe
Its been made and it has America nuking every other country and has a dedicated website and I think you can get it in book form, I'm unable to recall the name but its pretty well known and grimdark atompunk but 50's MacArthur and Patton presidency vibes :evilsmile:

Its been made and it has America nuking every other country and has a dedicated website and I think you can get it in book form, I'm unable to recall the name but its pretty well known and grimdark atompunk but 50's MacArthur and Patton presidency vibes :evilsmile:
Pax atomica

I'm working on just such a TL, although it is nowhere near ready to be posted. Hence my creating this thread.
I don't see this concept as the United States "annexing the rest of the globe"- moreso destroying its last enemy in one fell swoop as opposed to a four year long war.

I'm working on just such a TL, although it is nowhere near ready to be posted. Hence my creating this thread.
I don't see this concept as the United States "annexing the rest of the globe"- moreso destroying its last enemy in one fell swoop as opposed to a four year long war.
Have you looked at Operation Dropshot? It's a planning document from 1949 looking ahead to a World War III starting in 1957 based on the use of atomic rather than hydrogen bombs.

This looks like a good link if it's any help; https://www.allworldwars.com/Dropshot - American Plan for War with the Soviet Union 1957.html

Have you looked at Operation Dropshot? It's a planning document from 1949 looking ahead to a World War III starting in 1957 based on the use of atomic rather than hydrogen bombs.

This looks like a good link if it's any help; https://www.allworldwars.com/Dropshot - American Plan for War with the Soviet Union 1957.html
Thanks- I have indeed looked at that website and what I'm envisioning is actually fairly close to it, albeit starting ~3 years earlier.