>1900 free online resource collection thread

This thread is meant as a place to post sources that you use often, or just enjoy reading that you think would come in handy for others. The only stipulation is that it needs to be free and easily accessible. Any subject or period after 1900 (I am going to post a similar thread for the <1900 thread) is allowable here. I will periodically make threadmarks for the different posts to make it easy to find the sources in future.

Military History Not Visualized
Military History not Visualized is a youtube channel which focuses on Wehrmacht equippment, tactics and formations during the second world war, though videos on other topics are released on occasion. The channel uses primary sources such as German archival documents, as well as academic books and historians. In the videos the sources are always clearly listed and used clearly and concisely in the videos.

Omniatlas-historical maps
Other people probably have more meaningful stuff to post, but here's an obligatory mention to Omniatlas, which I have found to be one of the best and most accurate of the original historical atlases on the web. There are dozens of maps for each region, and while there is space for improvement, it is good for getting an overview of places in the 20th century (and its creators are actively working on expanding it).

Assorted WWII Pacific theater sources
At least some of the sources I used to write Japan's Final Strike, should be useful to anyone interested in the Pacific theatre of WW2:

A few sources I've found very useful include:
https://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/Table_Of_Contents.htm - has a huge amount of detail about pretty much everything that happened in the Pacific
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/Building_Bases/bases-24.html - covers the various Allied defences on most of the islands.
https://www.academia.edu/8041840/TH...BATTLE_THAT_REQUIRED_EVERY_CONCEIVABLE_WEAPON - this is about the Tokyo Express (DD supply runs to Guadalcanal), rather than FS, but I found it very helpful when working out the Japanese supply situation.
http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-WH2Paci.html - NZ's official histories, Chapter 2 covers the Fiji garrison in great detail.
http://www.combinedfleet.com/guadoil1.htm - this is how I obtained the 200-300kt figure for MI

Also the book Japanese Army Operations in the South Pacific Area: New Britain and Papua campaigns 1942-43, translated by Steven Bullard has a chapter devoted to the Japanese planning of FS, probably the most useful source I have found for the topic. Can be downloaded for free from the Australian War Memorial page here: http://ajrp.awm.gov.au/AJRP/AJRP2.n...6f4f00126373/1fcb61d633972daaca257291000abf44

- BNC

The Chieftain, tanks and armored warfare doctrine
The Chieftain AKA Nicholas Moran is a US Army tanker and researcher for the game developer wargaming. He specializes in second world war American armored doctrine and has done several videos debunking various myths which are common belief about American tanks in the second world war. Recently he has been working with another channel and covering the development of armored warfare doctrine amongst the major combatants in wwii.

Perhaps most interesting of course he conducts videos exploring the inner workings of various tanks. Showing off the outside features, and then each crewmans position on the inside. Called inside the hatch these videos are informative for anyone wanting to get an impression of what it is like to be a tanker.

Driftless-Assorted excellent sites

Driftless

Donor
*** Disclaimer - I make no warranty for the absolute accuracy of the data shown on these sites***

Go with a few of the well known historical sites:
Hyperwar - text history of WW2 mostly from the US perspective​
NavWeaps - 20th Century naval weaponry specs​
Forgotten Weapons - Gun Jesus....​
Naval Encyclopedia - lots of photos​
Ace Pilots.com - WW2 plane specs​
Coatney History.com - ONI Ship specs​

And some obscure ones....
Endonym map of the world - what countries call themselves​
Bayonet Strength - a compilation of Order of Battle for various Armies​

Last edited:
Documents, Correspondence, forts, ships built in Scotland and Newcastle
Archived US Diplomatic Documents and Correspondence:
I got letters between various parties arguing about whether a particular ship should be allowed to coal in a neutral port during times of war.

Legal Documents, incl. Treaties.
Full text of Hague Treaties and Rules of War.

Maybe this one is obvious, but a full list of naval weapons with ranges, shell weights, penetration, and usage.

Every ship ever to serve in the US Navy, down to commandeered armed yachts, with pix.

Forts in North America

Specs on every ship ever built in Scotland

Specs on every ship ever built in Newcastle

Fire insurance plans are often behind a paywall, but they are a killer source if you can find them for free. If you want a building by building layout of your setting at your historical date.

Navypedia
Navypedia: Every fighting ship after 1890, and they are working on earlier as well. The English is terrible as it is a Russian site, but it is understandable, ship specs are there, as are every Navy’s strength every five years, along with tables of commissioned, decommissioned, and sunk ships for each navy by year for the 20th century. Also stats on every naval weapon (guns, asw, torpedoes, mines, missiles), as well as naval aircraft.

Wikipedia’s List of Aircraft of World War 2 is a great quick reference, though the aircraft pages lack much detail, however simply finding the aircraft name allows you to do more research.

Navypedia: Every fighting ship after 1890, and they are working on earlier as well. The English is terrible as it is a Russian site, but it is understandable, ship specs are there, as are every Navy’s strength every five years, along with tables of commissioned, decommissioned, and sunk ships for each navy by year for the 20th century. Also stats on every naval weapon (guns, asw, torpedoes, mines, missiles), as well as naval aircraft.

Wikipedia’s List of Aircraft of World War 2 is a great quick reference, though the aircraft pages lack much detail, however simply finding the aircraft name allows you to do more research.
I love Navypedia! I used to read it in highschool and work through designing different warships in class using this site as a reference.

Naval-History.net: an avalanche of info on the Royal Navy’s operations from 1890+, there is also stuff about some European Navies, there are a shitload of OOB’s for WW1, the interwar, and WW2, I haven’t looked at this site enough tbh.

Uboat.net: A ton of info on German submarine operations during WW2, as well as a large database of merchantmen that were sunk/attacked. There is also some info on Allied subs and warships.