Orange Tempest

The Poarter

Banned
Storm Warning

Now that the storms have passed can you continue writing about only the new political landscape?
Plus you haven't explained how Canadian politics are now reshaped by Igor after the elections.
My final point is this. Add a little cynicism. Don't get me wrong you're doing an excellent job and I like what you're doing so far.
I just want some pessimism to this story.
It just screams diabetes a little.
Maybe have post about a film describing how Igor brought out the worst in humanity. Like make it about a looter trying to survive by killing others for supplies before getting gunned down himself.
Bonus points for being Canadian.

Last edited:
I know this is morbid, but you may very well have ensured that the GOP becomes something like a Christian Democratic party when it recovers. Ultra-classical liberalism in its Tea Party form, as you say, is dead in the water, so you may ironically have found a way to make Rick Santorum an actual force in the Party. :eek:

You have to remember that at this time there was (and is) a struggle between the "economy first" libertarian types, and those more focused on the social issues. With the first literally subject to the wrath of God and the American electorate, you've pretty much handed over the victory to the socon-firsters. A side effect may be that Joe Arpaio will no longer have a job, to the rejoicing of many...

Now that the storms have passed can you continue writing about only the new political landscape?
Plus you haven't explained how Canadian politics are now reshaped by Igor after the elections.

Ah, but they haven't all passed yet...;)

My final point is this. Add a little cynicism. Don't get me wrong you're doing an excellent job and I like what you're doing so far.
I just want some pessimism to this story.
It just screams diabetes a little.
Maybe have post about a film describing how Igor brought out the worst in humanity. Like make it about a looter trying to survive by killing others for supplies before getting gunned down himself.
Bonus points for being Canadian.

Don't worry, there's plenty of death, destruction, and anguish yet to come...;)

--------------------

"What on Earth is happening here...tropical cyclones are not supposed to keep strengthening in January like this!"

- Dr. Lixion Avila, excerpt from Discussion 4 of Tropical Storm Arlene

--------------------

From the National Hurricane Center website ([noparse]www.nhc.noaa.gov[/noparse]), 2 January 2011:

ZCZC MIATCPAT1 ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM
BULLETIN
TROPICAL STORM ARLENE ADVISORY NUMBER 5
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL012011
1100 PM AST SUN JAN 2 2011

...ARLENE INEXPLICABLY CONTINUES TO STRENGTHEN...

SUMMARY OF 1100 PM AST...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...21.9N 60.8W
ABOUT 320 MI...515 KM NNE OF BARBUDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...70 MPH...115 KM/HR
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 290 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...21 KM/HR
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...996 MB...29.41 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
THERE ARE NO COASTAL WATCHES OR WARNINGS IN EFFECT.

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
------------------------------
AT 1100 PM AST...0300 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM ARLENE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 21.9 NORTH...LONGITUDE 60.8 WEST. ARLENE IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 13 MPH...21 KM/HR...AND A TURN TOWARD THE NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED ON MONDAY OR TUESDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 70 MPH...115 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SOME WEAKENING IS FORECAST...AND ARLENE IS LIKELY TO BECOME AN EXTRATROPICAL CYCLONE ON MONDAY OR TUESDAY.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 130 MILES...210 KM FROM THE CENTER.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 996 MB...29.41 INCHES.

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND
----------------------
SURF...LARGE SWELLS WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT THE LEEWARD ISLANDS AND PUERTO RICO THROUGH MONDAY...AND WILL ALSO BEGIN TO AFFECT HISPANIOLA BY MIDDAY MONDAY. SOME SWELLS MAY ALSO REACH THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS AND PARTS OF THE BAHAMAS ON MONDAY. THESE SWELLS ARE LIKELY TO CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING SURF AND RIP CURRENTS. PLEASE CONSULT PRODUCTS FROM YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

NEXT ADVISORY
-------------
NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY...0500 AM AST.

$$
FORECASTER KIMBERLAIN

NNNN

Last edited:
How badly were New Hampshire and Vermont hit?

Could I have the death toll by U.S. state, please?

Why sure!:)

In fact, let's have the total death toll from Igor everywhere!:D:cool::D

United States

- Massachusetts: 13,422 direct fatalities, 1,051 indirect fatalities.

- Rhode Island: 5,521 direct fatalities, 574 indirect fatalities.

- New York: 4,272 direct fatalities, 375 indirect fatalities.

- Connecticut: 2,109 direct fatalities, 242 indirect fatalities.

- Maine: 2,043 direct fatalities, 167 indirect fatalities.

- New Hampshire: 1,184 direct fatalities, 127 indirect fatalities.

- New Jersey: 1,073 direct fatalities, 124 indirect fatalities.

- Vermont: 479 direct fatalities, 110 indirect fatalities.

- Pennsylvania: 103 direct fatalities, 98 indirect fatalities.

- Maryland: 90 direct fatalities, 72 indirect fatalities.

- Delaware: 43 direct fatalities, 37 indirect fatalities.

- Virginia: 9 direct fatalities, 26 indirect fatalities.

- District of Columbia: 1 direct fatality, 3 indirect fatalities.

- Puerto Rico: 1 direct fatality, 0 indirect fatalities.

- West Virginia: 0 direct fatalities, 1 indirect fatality.

- TOTAL: 30,350 direct fatalities, 3,007 indirect fatalities.

Canada

- Nova Scotia: 3,446 direct fatalities, 1,059 indirect fatalities.

- New Brunswick: 2,122 direct fatalities, 856 indirect fatalities.

- Prince Edward Island: 989 direct fatalities, 684 indirect fatalities.

- Newfoundland and Labrador: 580 direct fatalities, 287 indirect fatalities.

- Quebec: 278 direct fatalities, 294 indirect fatalities.

- Ontario: 71 direct fatalities, 150 indirect fatalities.

- TOTAL: 7,486 direct fatalities, 3,330 indirect fatalities.

British Overseas Territories

- Bermuda: 2,268 fatalities (direct and indirect fatalities could not be distinguished).

- Turks and Caicos Islands: 1 direct fatality, 0 indirect fatalities.

- TOTAL: 1 confirmed direct fatality, 2,268 undistinguished fatalities.

United Kingdom

- Northern Ireland: 721 direct fatalities, 685 indirect fatalities.

- Scotland: 222 direct fatalities, 301 indirect fatalities.

- England: 98 direct fatalities, 235 indirect fatalities.

- Wales: 12 direct fatalities, 43 indirect fatalities.

- TOTAL: 1,053 direct fatalities, 1,264 indirect fatalities.

Republic of Ireland: 357 direct fatalities, 290 indirect fatalities.

Isle of Man: 86 direct fatalities, 72 indirect fatalities.

Maritime

- Cargo vessel north of Bermuda: 25 direct fatalities, 0 indirect fatalities.

- Hurricane Hunter aircraft south of Bermuda: 17 direct fatalities, 0 indirect fatalities.

- Cargo vessel in the North Atlantic: 12 direct fatalities, 0 indirect fatalities.

- Fishing boat in the North Sea: 3 direct fatalities, 0 indirect fatalities.

- TOTAL: 57 direct fatalities, 0 indirect fatalities.

St. Pierre and Miquelon: 13 direct fatalities, 22 indirect fatalities.

Bahamas: 7 direct fatalities, 0 indirect fatalities.

Norway: 6 direct fatalities, 3 indirect fatalities.

Iceland: 3 direct fatalities, 1 indirect fatality.

Dominican Republic: 3 direct fatalities, 0 indirect fatalities.

Denmark: 2 direct fatalities, 0 indirect fatalities.

Kingdom of the Netherlands

- Netherlands: 1 direct fatality, 0 indirect fatalities.

- Sint Maarten: 1 direct fatality, 0 indirect fatalities.

- TOTAL: 2 direct fatalities, 0 indirect fatalities.

Haiti: 1 direct fatality, 0 indirect fatalities.

Antigua and Barbuda: 1 direct fatality, 0 indirect fatalities.

Sweden: 1 direct fatality, 0 indirect fatalities.

GRAND TOTAL: 39,429 direct fatalities, 2,268 undistinguished fatalities, 7,989 indirect fatalities, all together totalling, drumroll please...

49,686 total deaths as a result of Igor.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I don't know if you're aware of it, but there is a fairly substantial population on the islands of Casco Bay ME (which is the bay that Portland is on); from your description, on those dozens of islands there would be nothing left--it might make for an interesting footnote.

I don't know if you're aware of it, but there is a fairly substantial population on the islands of Casco Bay ME (which is the bay that Portland is on); from your description, on those dozens of islands there would be nothing left--it might make for an interesting footnote.

Yes, those islands have been pretty much completely wrecked. Much of their population will eventually return, but for some of those it won't be for years to come, and a substantial chunk of the people previously living on the islands aren't coming back.

Aaand here's today's update. Sorry I couldn't get it up yesterday, I was busier than I expected, it ended up being longer than expected, and, as it turned out, I didn't get it finished until just now:

--------------------

Guess I got what I deserve...

- Badfinger, Baby Blue

--------------------

From Nine Years Awaiting: The Story of Operation Mjolnir, by Mike Griggs, and The Trial of Osama Bin Laden, by Caroline Fletcher:

..."We were woken up at two in the morning or thereabouts Bagram time, but we were alert and excited; the only reason we'd get woken up in the middle of the night like that was that something big was happening, and since there wasn't any gunfire to be heard, that ruled out a Taliban attack on the airbase. That left just one thing: that today was it, the Big Day capital B capital D, the day we were going to go get bin Laden and bring him in. We had a bite to eat and then went out to the helicopters in full winter gear - it was freezing cold outside"...

..."As we approached Abbottabad, we could see that the Pakistanis hadn't gotten wind of our mission; there was no gunfire, no searchlights turned on, no attempted intercepts, no nothing - just the steady chop-chop of the helo's rotors as we flew onward toward the target, Bin Laden's mansion. Up from the cockpit, I heard one of the pilots say 'Thor to Odin - the Midgard Serpent sleeps' - the code phrase used to indicate that no Pakistani military forces were attempting to defend the mansion ('Odin' and 'Thor' were Bagram command and us, respectively); if they had been out in force defending it, we'd have used 'the Midgard Serpent wakes' and radioed for the Chinooks to come in and provide backup"...

..."We rappelled down from our helo into the big back yard of the mansion, and as soon as we were all down, the helo flew off to one side to make room for the one with the other men and the dog, which'd have to actually land instead of hovering because the dog couldn't rappel, and we went over to the inner wall and blasted a hole through it with the explosives we'd been carrying for that purpose. Then the other helo landed, offloaded its men and the dog, and we went on in"...

..."There were people in the guest house, and two of them shot at us; they must've had a crack shot in there, since one of them put an AK bullet dead center of my chest, fortunately my armor stopped it, but Kevin took one in the neck and nearly bled out; but the Big One wasn't there - it turned out he'd been in the other one, the big main building, the one that the others had gone into. I was kinda disappointed that we hadn't been the ones to catch him, but at least we got to stand and watch later as they manhandled him into the first helo handcuffed and with two SEALs making sure he didn't make a run for it"...

..."Two men were in the big room on the first floor, but they weren't the bin Ladens. They both had guns, but only one of them made a grab for his - Ted put a bullet right in the center of his chest before he could raise the AK, and he slumped over like a sacka potatoes, and the other one saw this, so he left his own AK where it was and shot his hands right up in the air; Mickey and Gerald handcuffed him and then Mickey stayed there to guard him while Gerald came with us to go through the other rooms"...

..."Three rooms in a row didn't have anyone in them, but in the fourth one we hit the gold mine - there were two women in there, and one of them just dropped to the floor with her hands shielding her head, but the other ran to the window and banged on it screaming in Arabic, at least I think it was, and I thought I heard an 'Osama' in there, so I ran to the window, shoved her aside, and smashed it with the butt of my rifle, and there he was, directly above us - he must've ran to the balcony at about the same time I smashed the window, since his head was just finishing coming out over the ledge when I looked up - anyway, he was visible only for a moment before he realized we were US soldiers and jerked back out of sight"...

..."Ten of us ran up the stairs to the third floor, and suddenly Hank in the lead grabbed his upper right arm with his other hand and ducked back down behind a corner; one of the bastards must've gotten off a lucky shot, and the AK bullet hit him in the arm - we later found out it broke his upper arm bone, the humerus, clean in two, and obviously it made him drop his rifle since he couldn't hold its weight up with a broken right arm, so Floyd sent him back out to the guesthouse, where the medics were, and the rest of us went on into the hallway, focusing our fire on a young man shooting from a doorway that was ajar. He got two bullets in his chest, one in his belly, and one right through his upper jaw for his trouble - that last one tore open the bottom part of his face and splattered his brains over the wall behind him. We found out after the raid that he'd been bin Laden's oldest son"...

..."Bin Laden was in the room along with two women, who turned out to be his wives. The women ran at us shouting in Arabic, but one got knocked down by a bullet through the knee and the other got pushed roughly to the side when Gavin elbowed his way past and there was bin Laden right in front of us, he tried to get to his AK but it was too far away and as he sprawled over on his left side reaching out to it, Gavin shot him in the leg. As he let out a yelp of what I'm assuming was pain and grabbed for his thigh, Leroy and Ben leapt on him and restrained him, and Gavin clicked his rifle's safety back on, tucked it under his arm, and took out his pair of handcuffs, which he snapped onto bin Laden's wrists"...

..."He was still struggling as we wrestled him into the copter, and some of us were worried that he'd try to bite us or something that would force Ben and Leroy to shoot him, something nobody wanted because they wouldn't be able to give him a trial if he had a bullet through his head and because we were frankly worried to hell about what would happen if a gun went off inside the copter and punched a hole in it"...

...News of Osama bin Laden's capture caused wild celebrations to spontaneously erupt in every major U.S. city, plus many other cities around the globe, as everywhere people saw and heard that the man whose blood they had bayed for for nine years and counting would finally be brought to justice, and preparations were immediately made for a C-17 Globemaster III to be flown to Afghanistan to pick up bin Laden from where he was being held prisoner under heavy guard at Bagram Airbase...

...Bin Laden was flown into the United States late on the night of 7 January through McGuire Air Force Base near Trenton, New Jersey, and then quickly bundled into an armoured car and driven to the Federal Detention Center in Philadelphia to await trial; despite the wide publicity surrounding bin Laden's capture, his arrival was held in total secrecy, to prevent him, despite his heavy guard, from being lynched by an angry mob or shot from a distance by a rifle-toting young man or woman orphaned by the 11 September attacks and bent on revenge...

...A daunting conundrum quickly appeared, as not one single public defender in the entire Northeast could be found who was willing to defend Osama bin Laden in court; fortunately, however, bin Laden chose to represent himself, thereby averting a potentially very serious problem, and as a result Osama bin Laden's defence team consisted only of himself and an English-Arabic translator...

...Every major news network from everywhere across the political spectrum, from MSNBC to CNN to Fox News to ABC, lavishly covered bin Laden's criminal trial, to such an extent that it would likely have far outshone the infamous O.J. Simpson murder trial in total hours of news coverage had it lasted anywhere near as long, and did in fact eclipse the Simpson trial in the levels of public interest in the trial's progress...

...As the trial progressed, it became clear that this was not going to be a hard trial for the prosecution, as bin Laden not only refused to defend himself from the mountains of evidence brought forth by the prosecution, but indeed actively boasted of having done everything he was alleged to have done, claiming that the United States and the West had brought it upon themselves and that he was the righteous enforcer of God's holy will; despite having been warned from the very start that the prosecution were seeking the death penalty, he did not even begin to attempt to refute the prosecution's case, instead proudly proclaiming that he was happy to become a martyr for God and His righteous path...

...On 23 March, the jury took less than two minutes to deliver its verdict: guilty on all of the over three thousand counts, ranging from first-degree murder and terrorism through hijacking and property damage, and the judge sentenced bin Laden to death three thousand plus times over, said execution to take place in Virginia. Bin Laden refused to appeal the verdict, being eager to become a martyr for his cause, and his execution date was set for 1 June 2011...

...As Osama bin Laden's execution date approached, hurried preparations were made for journalists from many of the nation's newspapers and news agencies to be allowed in to view the execution; eventually, several dozen newspapers and news agencies managed to get their journalists into the execution room to watch bin Laden die...

...Virginia's default method of execution is lethal injection, but the state allows death-row inmates a choice: the vast majority still choose to die via lethal injection, but the occasional prisoner instead opts for "Old Sparky", the state's electric chair. Consequently, while at Greensville Correctional Center located in an unincorporated section of its namesake county, bin Laden was asked, through his translator, whether he would prefer lethal injection or the electric chair; to general surprise, he replied "Alkrsy alkhrbayy" ("Electric chair")...

--------------------

From journalist Cynthia Florin's account of the execution of Osama bin Laden:

"They led him into the room, armed guards making sure he didn't try any funny business; he looked at it for a moment and then wordlessly sat down and allowed himself to be strapped into the chair. They put the execution helmet on his head and strapped it on, but his beard didn't fit and it protruded beneath the helmet's chinstrap even once the helmet was securely in place. He briefly tensed his fingers as the guards stepped away, and then relaxed them again as an abbreviated form of the sentence - reading out the full form would have taken hours - was dictated to him through his translator. They'd managed to find an imam somewhere to give whatever's the Muslim version of Last Rites, but when the imam started to speak, bin Laden spat at him, and he left in rather a hurry! Then they asked if he had any last words - again, through the translator - and he shook his head, but as the executioner reached for the switch, he suddenly opened his mouth and started to say, 'La alh - ', which the translator, who looked surprised that he'd apparently changed his mind about last words, nevertheless hurriedly translated as, 'There is no god - ', and it looked like he was going to say more - the translator definitely looked like he thought bin Laden wasn't finished talking - but right at that point the executioner gave an almost convulsive jerk and slammed the switch from "off" to "on", and whatever bin Laden was going to say next never got to his lips as the current ripped through him and he slammed forward against the straps holding him in place. His beard smoked and then caught fire - I remember this very clearly - and a few glowing particles of beard hair drifted to the floor before the current was turned off and he slumped back against the back of the chair, at which point a whole flurry of burnt and charred hairs, not only from the beard but also from the hair on top of his head, were dislodged and fluttered down to meet those that had already fallen. He was clearly dead, but the doctors still had to come forward to certify that fact for the records, and unsurprisingly they came to the same verdict that everyone else viewing the execution already had: Osama bin Laden, Public Enemy Number One ever since 9/11 and without a doubt the man most hated by Americans by a very wide margin, was finally dead. Justice had caught up with him at last, and I remember feeling a sense of relief as they wheeled his dead, burnt body from the room and cleared all us witnesses away, that the nightmare was finally, finally over."

Last edited:
Good update.

The song Baby Blue by Badfinger is appropriate here, especially the first line:

Guess I got what I deserve...

Go right ahead.

I still wonder about the effects on sports (BTW, PM TheMann for more info).

The Patriots probably play all their games on the road (like the Saints did IOTL after Katrina). The Red Sox and Yankees will probably also play their last games on the road (they'll have to pick a neutral site if they play each other; check baseball-reference.com for info on the 2010 season).

As for the Boston Celtics and Bruins, they'll probably be playing at facilities in western Massachusetts (assuming any can be found).

I haven't even gotten into the college teams...

Go right ahead.

Thanx!:cool::D:cool:

I sent him one almost 2 weeks ago; he hasn't responded and I'm not sure that he saw it, so I PMed him again about it just now.

The Patriots probably play all their games on the road (like the Saints did IOTL after Katrina). The Red Sox and Yankees will probably also play their last games on the road (they'll have to pick a neutral site if they play each other; check baseball-reference.com for info on the 2010 season).

As for the Boston Celtics and Bruins, they'll probably be playing at facilities in western Massachusetts (assuming any can be found).

Thanx - I'll look into the website and see what I can do!:)

Go right ahead.

I know they did this with the New Orleans Hornets with Katrina, and they could do it here.

The NBA moved the Hornets to Oklahoma City that year and had them play a lot of their games there. Now, keep in mind that at this time Oklahoma City didn't have a basketball team then, and a few years later the Supersonics went to OKC. I'm pretty sure (though I'm not positive) that the NBA put them there to see if there OKC was suited to have a basketball team. Though potential expansion cities probably aren't as close to Boston as OKC is to New Orleans is, but you could do the same things. Mabye move the Celtics games to Buffalo, that would be close enough. The NFL could move the Pats to Toronto because I know they want to relocate their. The real interesting thing here is that both of these teamsare poised to make a deep playoff run. The Celtics probably only make it to the first round, maybe getting an upset for Boston before getting whacked by the Bulls or the Heat. The Pats had the best record in the league that year, and having to move to a new city, especially on short notice could really hurt them. Coupled with the fact that they didn't become a really good team until the later part of that year, this could severely affect the NFL playoffs. Coupled with a strong Jets team, the Patriots might even lose the division, something extremely rare in the Brady era. We probably see them playing the Chiefs that year in the postseason, being the worst division winner, and they beat them. As OTL, though they probably lose their next game. Both of those places also have readily available infastructure to handle a pro sports team, so the transition would go pretty smoothly. The last of the Sox games might just be moved to Toronto as well, and because the Sox didn't make the playoffs no issues there. If the Yanks were affected as well, then we have a problem. They made the Wild Card spot (probably not butterflied away because they had it wrapped up by mid-September anyway) and if the stadium was damaged the we would have some issues. Though the Bronx is inland so I'm not sure if there would be as much damage. For hockey, a close enough suiter could be Lake Placid, though they still use the 1980 Olympic pavillion. That could provide a short term fix.

I know they did this with the New Orleans Hornets with Katrina, and they could do it here.

The NBA moved the Hornets to Oklahoma City that year and had them play a lot of their games there. Now, keep in mind that at this time Oklahoma City didn't have a basketball team then, and a few years later the Supersonics went to OKC. I'm pretty sure (though I'm not positive) that the NBA put them there to see if there OKC was suited to have a basketball team. Though potential expansion cities probably aren't as close to Boston as OKC is to New Orleans is, but you could do the same things. Mabye move the Celtics games to Buffalo, that would be close enough. The NFL could move the Pats to Toronto because I know they want to relocate their. The real interesting thing here is that both of these teamsare poised to make a deep playoff run. The Celtics probably only make it to the first round, maybe getting an upset for Boston before getting whacked by the Bulls or the Heat. The Pats had the best record in the league that year, and having to move to a new city, especially on short notice could really hurt them. Coupled with the fact that they didn't become a really good team until the later part of that year, this could severely affect the NFL playoffs. Coupled with a strong Jets team, the Patriots might even lose the division, something extremely rare in the Brady era. We probably see them playing the Chiefs that year in the postseason, being the worst division winner, and they beat them. As OTL, though they probably lose their next game. Both of those places also have readily available infastructure to handle a pro sports team, so the transition would go pretty smoothly. The last of the Sox games might just be moved to Toronto as well, and because the Sox didn't make the playoffs no issues there. If the Yanks were affected as well, then we have a problem. They made the Wild Card spot (probably not butterflied away because they had it wrapped up by mid-September anyway) and if the stadium was damaged the we would have some issues. Though the Bronx is inland so I'm not sure if there would be as much damage. For hockey, a close enough suiter could be Lake Placid, though they still use the 1980 Olympic pavillion. That could provide a short term fix.

You could write some sports updates if you want, and they'll be considered officially canon, as long as you run them past me for approval first.

From the National Hurricane Center website ([noparse]www.nhc.noaa.gov[/noparse]), 3 January 2011:

ZCZC MIATCPAT1 ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM
BULLETIN
HURRICANE ARLENE ADVISORY NUMBER 9
1100 PM AST MON JAN 3 2011

...ARLENE STILL STEADILY STRENGTHENING...

LOCATION...23.5N 65.6W
ABOUT 375 MI...605 KM NNE OF SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...95 MPH...155 KM/HR
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...21 KM/HR
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...981 MB...28.97 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY...

THE WEATHER SERVICE OF BERMUDA HAS ISSUED A HURRICANE WATCH FOR BERMUDA.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...

A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* BERMUDA.

A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA. A WATCH IS TYPICALLY ISSUED 48 HOURS BEFORE THE ANTICIPATED FIRST OCCURRENCE OF TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WINDS...CONDITIONS THAT MAKE OUTSIDE PREPARATIONS DIFFICULT OR DANGEROUS.

AT 1100 PM AST...0300 UTC...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE ARLENE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 23.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 65.6 WEST. ARLENE IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 13 MPH...21 KM/HR...AND A TURN TOWARD THE NORTH IS EXPECTED ON TUESDAY...FOLLOWED BY A TURN TO THE NORTHEAST ON WEDNESDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 95 MPH...155 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SOME WEAKENING IS FORECAST...AND ARLENE IS LIKELY TO BECOME AN EXTRATROPICAL CYCLONE ON TUESDAY OR WEDNESDAY.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 30 MILES...50 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 145 MILES...235 KM FROM THE CENTER.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 981 MB...28.97 INCHES.

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND
----------------------
SURF...LARGE SWELLS WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT THE LEEWARD ISLANDS...PUERTO RICO...THE VIRGIN ISLANDS...HISPANIOLA...THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS...AND PARTS OF THE BAHAMAS ON TUESDAY...AND WILL ALSO BEGIN TO AFFECT BERMUDA AND PARTS OF THE EAST COAST OF THE UNITED STATES DURING TUESDAY. THESE SWELLS ARE LIKELY TO CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING SURF AND RIP CURRENTS. PLEASE CONSULT PRODUCTS FROM YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

NEXT ADVISORY
-------------

$$
FORECASTER PASCH

NNNN

--------------------

From the National Hurricane Center website ([noparse]www.nhc.noaa.gov[/noparse]), 4 January 2011:

ZCZC MIATCPAT1 ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM
BULLETIN
HURRICANE ARLENE ADVISORY NUMBER 13
1100 PM AST TUE JAN 4 2011

...ARLENE STILL A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE AND STILL NOT WEAKENING...

LOCATION...27.3N 67.8W
ABOUT 500 MI...805 KM NNE OF GRAND TURK ISLAND
ABOUT 360 MI...580 KM SSW OF BERMUDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...105 MPH...170 KM/HR
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 15 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...21 KM/HR
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...973 MB...28.73 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY...

NONE.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...

A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* BERMUDA.

A HURRICANE WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE WARNING AREA. A WARNING IS TYPICALLY ISSUED 36 HOURS BEFORE THE ANTICIPATED FIRST OCCURRENCE OF TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WINDS...CONDITIONS THAT MAKE OUTSIDE PREPARATIONS DIFFICULT OR DANGEROUS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION.

AT 1100 PM AST...0300 UTC...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE ARLENE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 27.3 NORTH...LONGITUDE 67.8 WEST. ARLENE IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHEAST NEAR 13 MPH...21 KM/HR...AND A TURN TO THE NORTHEAST IS EXPECTED ON WEDNESDAY. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE ARLENE WILL BE APPROACHING BERMUDA BY LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT. HOWEVER...ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS WILL BEGIN TO AFFECT BERMUDA SOONER.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 105 MPH...170 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SOME WEAKENING IS FORECAST...AND ARLENE IS LIKELY TO BECOME AN EXTRATROPICAL CYCLONE ON WEDNESDAY OR THURSDAY.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 55 MILES...90 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 180 MILES...290 KM FROM THE CENTER.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 973 MB...28.73 INCHES.

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND
----------------------
WIND...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED IN BERMUDA BY LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT...WITH HURRICANE CONDITIONS EXPECTED ON THURSDAY.

RAINFALL...ARLENE IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 12 TO 15 INCHES OVER BERMUDA.

STORM SURGE...A DANGEROUS STORM SURGE IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT COASTAL FLOODING ON BERMUDA. THE SURGE WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY LARGE AND DESTRUCTIVE WAVES...ESPECIALLY ALONG THE SOUTHERN COAST.

SURF...LARGE SWELLS WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT THE LEEWARD ISLANDS...PUERTO RICO...THE VIRGIN ISLANDS...HISPANIOLA...THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS...AND PARTS OF THE BAHAMAS ON WEDNESDAY. THESE SWELLS WILL ALSO CAUSE DANGEROUS SURF CONDITIONS IN BERMUDA DURING THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS...WHICH WILL WORSEN AS ARLENE APPROACHES. SWELLS WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT THE EAST COAST OF THE UNITED STATES THROUGH THURSDAY. THESE SWELLS ARE LIKELY TO CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING SURF AND RIP CURRENTS. PLEASE CONSULT PRODUCTS FROM YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

NEXT ADVISORY
-------------

$$
FORECASTER STEWART

NNNN

--------------------

From Bermuda in the 21st Century, by Kimberly Carpenter:

...Perhaps Bermudians had been lulled into a false sense of security. In 2003, Hurricane Fabian had made a direct hit on the islands at Category 3 intensity, and while significant damage ensued, only four people died, all of whom had been foolish enough to try to cross the Bermuda Causeway during the storm and were washed into the sea. Perhaps the inhabitants of the island cluster had come to believe that no mere hurricane could dislodge them from their islands, that no matter how much damage the storm caused and how many homes it destroyed they would always be able to hunker down, live through it, and rebuild and carry on with their lives afterwards.

Igor shattered that assumption.

As the hurricane approached the islands, a hurricane warning was declared and residents were urged to evacuate. Few did so, however, apparently believing that Fabian had proven that Bermudians were a tough people, capable of shrugging off hurricanes like a Wellington boot shrugs off mud. Unlike Fabian, however, Igor was not a Category 3, but instead a Category 5, and a strong one at that. Perhaps they had been lulled by Igor's behaviour in the preceding days. Just recently, it had started to sharply weaken, coming close to dropping back down to Category 4, itself only one step above Category 3 - Fabian's category. Unfortunately for Bermuda, that weakening was the result of an eyewall replacement cycle, one which would also cause Igor to increase greatly in size. As the inhabitants of Bermuda watched on television, they saw Igor blowing up like a balloon in the satellite pictures, and for most of them, this was the final impetus in getting them to heed the pleadings of Premier Ewart Frederick Brown and evacuate the islands - a decision that for nearly all of them, beyond doubt, saved their lives.

Unfortunately, that sudden and massive inflation also meant that high winds and rain also began to arrive at Bermuda much earlier than had been thought. As a result, though the vast majority of Bermudians did manage to fly to safety from the territorial airport, nearly two thousand were still waiting in line, trying to book a flight, or driving pell-mell towards the airport when the winds along the runway became too powerful for aircraft to safely take off, trapping these late would-be evacuees on the islands, directly in the path of Igor. Along with these were over a thousand Bermudians who, blind to Igor's immensely greater danger as compared to Fabian seven years earlier, foolishly chose to stay at home and weather the storm there. These 3,104 Bermudians who, whether by choice or chance, had not yet left by the time the last flight out thundered down the airport's longest runway would be the ones to take Igor's brunt full force, along with a handful of scientists hunkering down in their bunkers and fully ready to give up their lives in order to document all of Igor's characteristics.

This motley group, scattered throughout the island chain, watched in dread as Igor, now an annular hurricane, rapidly bounced back from its temporary low and quickly reattained sustained winds exceeding 277 kph (172 mph), and then roared directly over Bermuda. The scientists were likely the safest of all those on Bermuda when Igor struck, sheltered as they were, but even for them it was no picnic, as they watched with horror as their instruments documented ever stronger wind speeds, one anemometer at an elevated location reporting a seemingly impossibly-powerful wind gust of 325 kph (202 mph) before it gave way in the face of the mighty winds and was torn from its mounting and blown out into the open Atlantic, never to be seen; the meteorologist in charge of it would later testify that, from the sound of the unearthly shrieking of the winds blowing over the surface of his shelter, he thought that the gust had likely become even stronger, reaching its peak a second or two after the anemometer was destroyed.

Unsurprisingly, though sadly, only 836 of the 3,104 who were on the islands when Igor struck survived, the rest all being killed by the immense winds, the massive storm surge, which lasted through two consecutive high tides and peaked at nearly 15 meters (49 feet), or the torrential rainfall, totalling over 2.1 meters (7 feet) in places. Nearly everything on Bermuda was destroyed, and the shellshocked survivors, as well as those who returned after Igor passed - who were nowhere near all those who had fled the storm, and may not even have been a majority of the evacuees - had to rebuild from virtually nothing. Though the work was estimated to take several years before Bermuda was even close to where it had been before, they had made some quite respectable progress by the end of the year.

Then came Arlene, another seemingly impossible storm, spawned on New Year's Day from the second of a pair of tropical waves, the first of which had become Hurricane Gamma, the last tropical cyclone of 2010, still going strong when Arlene formed, and fortunately going nowhere near land. Arlene, however, would not be as kind as Gamma had been. Instead of skirting Bermuda far to the west and only making its presence known by a few high waves coming from that direction, Arlene recurved earlier, and Bermuda once again found itself in the path of a storm which, while thankfully nowhere even close to as fearsome as Igor, was still nevertheless quite a dangerous hurricane in its own right. Premier Brown, who had planned to retire in October 2010 but decided in the wake of Igor that it would be inexcusable to abandon his people to a new, untested leader in their time of need, and was hence staying on for the duration of the crisis or until he became to old to effectively govern, whichever came first, now faced a dilemma. The forecasters at the American National Hurricane Center were unanimous in insisting that Arlene would inevitably fall victim to the colder ocean waters of January, weaken and dissipate, but he also had the example of Igor, a case of an evacuation started too late due to people being lulled by a false reprieve into staying in the face of what turned out to be a horrifically powerful storm, resulting in disaster. Faced with Arlene steadfastly continuing to not only not weaken, but in fact strengthen, and seeing the Bermuda Weather Service reluctantly issue a hurricane warning for the island cluster as a result, he finally gave the order on the fourth of January:

"Evacuate. NOW."

Although he feared the possibility of the other parties in Parliament excoriating him for being paranoid and jumping at what might well turn out to be a paper tiger, with a loud bark but no bite, they did nothing of the sort. Instead, vividly remembering the disastrous results of the slow and late evacuation preceding Igor, they unanimously applauded his decision, and the Bermudian population, themselves with Igor strong in their memories and their fears of a recurrence foremost in their minds, immediately heeded their Premier, evacuating once again through the hastily-rebuilt airport, but this time far faster and sooner than they had three and a half months before, despite facing a much weaker and smaller storm than they had then...

Given the massive destruction caused by this storm, one wonders why happens to ESPN, based in Bristol, CT (and most of the buildings probably suffered a lot of damage from the storm).

My guess: Disney will move as much of ESPN's operations to Los Angeles and (maybe) Chicago as possible until the Bristol, CT headquarters are rebuilt. Don't be surprised the original Digital One studio complex is demolished, Digital Two (OTL: the current SportsCenter studios) construction is accelerated, and an all-new Digital One built to replace the damaged original.