The Lucky Country: Protect and Survive in Australia

When I was at Auckland Uni, we noted we were in the middle of the naval base, air base, and airport locations, and didn't hold out much hope.

You might get away with being there if Mangere or Whenuapai were hit, but Devonport you'd be toast.

PimpLenin

Banned
22 February 1984 - 9:00 am
RAAF Wagga
Forest Hill, NSW

The weary members of the Select Cabinet for the National Emergency had been in constant session since their arrival to RAAF Wagga, and had not slept in over twenty-four hours. In some cases, such as Prime Minister Bob Hawke, it had been longer than that since they rested. The Cabinet was running on coffee and tea, and that was starting to not work anymore. Defence Minister Gordon Scholes was pouring over a map of Australia.

“Bob, we can confirm that there were ten attacks on Australia. Sydney, Canberra, Darwin, Cairns, Townsville, Alice Springs, Perth, and Fremantle were all hit. There was another explosion outside of Alice Springs at the Pine Gap facility, and another on HMAS Stirling on Garden Island off of the coast of Western Australia. There have not been anymore attacks in Australia for the last hour and a half. Maybe it’s over now. For us at least.”

The Prime Minister looked at the red marks on the map indicating where the nuclear detonations occurred. He then began to notice what had not been hit.

“Brisbane. Adelaide. Melbourne. Hobart. All were spared. I was certain the Russians would have hit those.”

“Well, Prime Minister…” Air Chief Marshal Neville McNamara hesitated for a moment. “The Soviets likely viewed attacking us as a side-show. We were no direct threat to them. However, since we are allies with the United States, they still had to hit us…mainly to prevent the Americans from using any of our assets post-war, but also partly on principal.”

The Prime Minister nodded his understanding as he took his seat.

“Well, do we know the extent of the damage?”

Air Marshal David Evans spoke next.

“Unknown, Prime Minister. We are preparing to conduct over flights when it has become a little safer.”

The haggard-looking Prime Minister next turned to Christopher Hurford, the Minister for Housing and Construction.

“Chris, have you heard from any of the refugee camps?”

“Uh, yes…a few. At most, only a few hundred people have shown up. There was never an official announcement of their location prior to the attack, so these are people who thought on their own that a military base would be a safe place to go. Provided the attacks are over, we can start to divert resources from camps in unaffected areas to those in most need.”

Michael Duffy, the Minister for Communications, commented further.

“In about an hour, the ABC will begin broadcasting instructions on how to get to the camps. Those instructions will then be broadcast every hour, on the hour. Once that happens, we can expect a flood of refugees.”

The Prime Minister nodded his understanding.

“And have we heard from the state governments?”

“We never lost communications with Victoria, Tasmania, and South Australia. Queensland dropped out for about half an hour be we re-connected. About twenty minutes ago, we made contact with the Northern Territory government that had evacuated to Katherine. So, the only people we have not heard from is Western Australia and New South Wales.”

Bob Hawke began rubbing his forehead.

“And overseas?”

Michael Duffy nodded in the negative.

“Too much interference right now. We get bits and pieces, but we have no idea who it is broadcasting or where they are broadcasting from. We have not been able to communicate back.”

Prime Minister Hawke leaned back in his chair.

“I guess we have done all that we can do for now. Information is the most important thing. Stay on the radios and find out whatever we can. I intend to address the country later today as well. It has been a bloody long night. Or morning. Or whatever. Christ, I don't even know what time it is. Try to rest and keep your strength up.”

As the members of the SCNE filed out of the room, Dr. Neal Blewett, the Minister for Health, approached the Prime Minister.

“Bob, you need to take your own advice and get some sleep. You look like shit.”

“I can’t! How would it look if the Prime Minister of a country that was just attacked is caught sleeping only a couple of hours after it occurred?”

Dr. Blewett put his hands up in a defensive posture.

“How would it look if the Prime Minister of a country that was just attacked started going mad and made irrational decisions because they were sleep deprived? Look, Bob. Things are under control here. It will be hours before we get any real, hard facts. I’m talking to you not only as your friend, but as a doctor. You need your sleep!”

The Prime Minister began rubbing his eyes.

“Ahh, fuck it. I can barely think. You’re right. I’ll try to get a couple of hours in.”

=====​

ABC1_zps79c1e7d0.jpg

22 February 1984 - 10:00 am

This is the ABC. Here is a special announcement from the government for those in the areas affected by this morning’s nuclear detonations. If you are able, those in the blast zones should evacuate as soon as possible. The military is working with the state governments and local councils to establish temporary relocation centers at schools, churches, civic centres, and other public places outside of the blast zones. There, you will be given food, water, and medical attention. From these centres, you will be relocated to one of the refugee camps established at military facilities around Australia.

We repeat - if you are able to do so, please evacuate from those areas affected by this morning’s nuclear attack as soon as possible to one of the temporary relocation centers outside of the blast zone. It may be days or weeks before assistance from the police and military can be expected inside the blast zones. This important announcement will be repeated every hour, on the hour. This is the ABC.

=====​

ABC1_zps79c1e7d0.jpg

22 February 1984 - 12:05 pm

This is the news from the ABC.

A general strategic nuclear exchange between the Soviet Union and the United States and her NATO allies has devastated much of the world. Thousands of nuclear weapons were deployed on every continent with the exception of Antarctica. The death toll will likely never be known.

In Australia, ten areas were hit with nuclear weapons. Much of the city centres of Canberra, Sydney, Darwin, Cairns, Townsville, Alice Springs, Perth, and Fremantle have been destroyed. HMAS Stirling, located on Garden Island off of Western Australia, and the Joint Defence Space Research Facility in the Northern Territory were also hit. Estimated of the number of killed and wounded have not been released.

The Prime Minister will address the people of Australia on this station at 3:05 pm Australian Eastern Daylight Time.

=====​

ABC1_zps79c1e7d0.jpg

22 February 1984 - 3:05 pm

(This broadcast opened with this version of “Advance Australia Fair“)

Australians all let us rejoice;
For we are young and free;
We’ve golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature’s gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history’s page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Prime Minister of Australia.

Men and Woman of Australia:

Today, we have witnessed the darkest, bloodiest, and most cruel day in the history of humanity. Countless lives have been lost in every corner of the world to the hell that is nuclear war. Australia was not spared. It is my sad duty to inform you that eight great cities - Canberra, Sydney, Darwin, Perth, Alice Springs, Fremantle, Cairns, and Townsville - were devastated by nuclear weapons launched against us by the U.S.S.R. Two major military facilities - one in Western Australia and one in the Northern Territory - are also lost. The number of casualties will be astronomical.

Fellow Australians! We have a long and rough road ahead of us. Tough times for the entire world are coming. I ask that all Australians help one another through these dark days. Help you family, your friends, and your neighbours. It we combine our good efforts and summon our common courage, the Australian nation will not only survive, but thrive once more. Let us show that the goodness of humanity can always conquer its evils.

I also ask that in the days and weeks that are to follow that all Australians follow the instructions given to them by the national, state, and local governments, and the military. Your calmness and cooperation will speed the recovery of our great nation. I have full confidence in the Australian people. I know that Australia will rise to the challenge and prevail.

This has been a statement from the Prime Minister of Australia, the Honourable Bob Hawke. The Prime Minister’s speech will be re-broadcast on the ABC at 6:00 pm, 9:00 pm, and at midnight Australian Eastern Daylight Time.

=====​

22 February 1984 - 7:07 pm
RAAF Wagga
Forest Hill, NSW

Prime Minister Bob Hawke was in his chair, eyes closed, deep in thought when he heard a knock on his door.

“Come in!”

It was Michael Duffy, the Minister for Communication.

“Sorry to disturb you, Bob, but I wanted to let you know that we have made contact with the state government in Western Australia. Apparently, they were able to evacuate from Perth before the strike and have set themselves up at a high school in Bunbury. The government seems to be in good shape, but they say Perth and Fremantle are a bloody big mess.”

The Prime Minister sighed and shook his head.

“So that just leaves New South Wales. Lionel said they were the least prepared of all the states. I guess it is kicking them in the arse now. Jesus, things must be terrible in Sydney.”

Duffy put his hand on the shoulder of the Prime Minister.

“You can't blame yourself. You’ve done good, mate. You’ve done good.”

Bob Hawke flashed a brief smile.

“Well, everyone’s done their bit. Now, get some rest.”

Daffy Duck

Banned
Comment

Excellent update and yet very sad at the same time.

Always had a lot of respect for Australians. I've found them to be tough, resilient and very friendly

Incidentally I was barely a teen at 14 years old living in houston, texas. To say we would have been obliterated is an understatement. The USSR had several nukes targeting the city, port and petrochemical facilities.

Errolwi

Monthly Donor
You might get away with being there if Mangere or Whenuapai were hit, but Devonport you'd be toast.

Given home's location in 1984 (when I was still at High School), we probably would have self evacuated a few days earlier to relatives' in the country. We were at the end of the approach lights for Whenuapai.

I don't I often comment but really enjoying this. I did the whole backpacking thing around Australia in 98 and have had a love of the country ever since.

Great timeline, roll on next update :)

(I would have been 7 when the bombs fell, in Bristol UK. Almost certainly dead)

PimpLenin

Banned
23 February 1984 - 8:15 am
RAAF Wagga
Forest Hill, NSW

Prime Minister Hawke smiled at the Defence Chiefs as he entered the conference room.

“Good morning, gentlemen.”

“Good morning, Prime Minister,” was the echoed response.

As the Prime Minister took his seat, he nodded an acknowledgement to the Governor-General, Sir Ninian Stephen.

Vice-Admiral David Leach, Chief of the Naval Staff, was the first to speak.

“Prime Minister, earlier this morning, we made contact with HMNZS Pegasus, a naval reserve base in Christchurch. They informed us that both Wellington and Auckland were hit. The government has relocated to Chirstchurch, and we anticipate having a direct line of communication with them in the next day or two.”

Air Marshal David Evans, Chief of the Air Staff, spoke next.

“Also this morning, we made contact with RAAF Butterworth in Malaysia. They confirmed that Kuala Lumpur was hit. Also, they have intercepted radio communications in Indonesia indicating that Jakarta and Sarabaya were hit. Apparently, the Indonesian government was wiped out and there is some kind of power struggle occurring within the military.”

Now, it was the turn of General Peter Gration, Chief of the General Staff, who looked like he was about to explode unless he could speak.

“Prime Minister, we have problems in Sydney that need to be addressed. First off, there is no state government. There is no central authority to work with. The second problem are the refugees. Over 10,000 arrived at Holsworthy Barracks in Liverpool overnight. We expect an increasing number of them each day. The time has come for the government to take control of schools, universities, hotels, theaters - any place that can house refugees. Even private homes if need be, with or without the cooperation of the property owners. Our last, and greatest problem is increasing violence. Some of the Holsworthy refugees reported acts of violence against Eastern European immigrants with Russian-sounding names. A bikie gang, the Gypsy Jokers, are creating havoc in Wetherill Park, and a Vietnamese gang, called 5T, is claiming control of the centre of Cabrametta. The Gallipoli Mosque in Aubrun was set ablaze, raising tensions with the Arab population. It’s a fucking mess - pardon my French - but it’s a fucking mess and it will only get worse unless we move more troops in.”

By this point, the Prime Minister was looking down, shaking his head and getting angry. Finally, he pounded a fist on the table.

“Bloody bastards! We don’t have time for shit like this! General, with the Governor-General’s approval, I want the following actions to be taken, all under our authority of the National Emergency Act of 1984. One - I am appointing General Lawrence O’Donnell to administer an emergency military government in New South Wales. Everyone - the military, police, SES, and local councils - will report to them. Two - authorise the military or police to take control of any building or space required to house refugees with or without consent of the property owner. Three - reinforcements will be sent to bolster the military presence in the western suburbs. They will have the authority to hold any looters or persons committing acts of violence for up to six months without a hearing or trial until local courts are re-established. If your men are fired upon, they are to fight back. Four - the reallocation of supplies and other resources in unaffected areas to areas in most need is to begin immediately. Ninian! Do you approve?”

The Governor-General, happy to see some energy and gusto return to Bob Hawke, nodded.

“I approve. The orders will be drawn up.”

The Prime Minister took a deep breath and settled down. He next looked to Air Chief Marshal Neville McNamara, Chief of the Defence Force Staff.

“Air Chief Marshall, what about the fly-overs?”

“Yes, Prime Minister. Well, at noon today, aircraft from Albatross in Nowra will conduct over flights of Sydney and Canberra. Aircraft from Amberley will fly over Cairns and Townsend. At 1330, aircraft from RAAF Williams in Victoria will fly up to Alice Springs. Around the same time, some of our planes evacuated to Port Keats Airfield in the Northern Territory will visit Darwin. Last, at 1400, aircraft out of Pearce will fly over Perth, Fremantle, and Stirling. If everything goes well, I hope to have a summary of their initial observations to you and the Governor-General this evening.”

“Thank you, Air Chief Marshall. Now, you wanted to say something Ninian?”

The Governor-General took some papers and handed them to Air Chief Marshal McNamara and Vice-Admiral Leach.

“Gentlemen, I am ordering all RAN vessels to return to Australia immediately. We need the manpower and resources here at home. I no longer see any point patrolling areas outside of our territorial waters for the time being. Ships out in the Pacific can return to Jervis Bay or Port of Eden. Those in the Indian Ocean can return to Port Hedland or Port Walcott.”

“We will send the order straight away, sir.” said Admiral Leach.

=====​

The following is a letter delivered to Prime Minister Bob Hawke and Governor-General Sir Ninian Stephen on the evening of 23 February 1984.

CoatOfArms_zps1a8222c8.jpg

COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA

23 February 1984

Dear Sirs:

This is a report of the initial observations made during the over flights of the areas targeted by the Soviet Union. A more detailed report will be prepared and distributed to all members of the Select Cabinet for the National Emergency.

Sydney:

Ground zero is believed to be located around Wynyard Station. Total or near-total levels of destruction was observed up to Sailors Bay, east to the Tasman Sea, down to Sydney International Airport, and west to Strathfield. Damage gradually decreased further out. All port facilities are wrecked. Sydney International Airport was heavily damaged but can be salvaged. Radiation levels of 100 rems or greater was recorded up to McMahon’s Point, east to Double Bay, down to Surry Hills, and west to Rozelle. Fallout extended up the Central Coast as far as Forster and out into the Tasman Sea.

Canberra:

Visibility was poor due to a large number of fires burning in the various nature reserves and national parks surrounding the city. Radiation levels of 100 rems or greater was detected up to Dickson, east to Mount Ainslie, down to Forrest, and west to Black Mountain. Fallout extended to the northeast and reached as far as Sydney. Up to 500 rads per hour was detected in Goulburn, 100 rads at Picton, and up to 10 rads per hour in Sydney’s western suburbs.

Cairns:

Ground zero is believed to be around Paramatta Park. Total of near-total destruction extended up to Cairns International Airport, west to Animbla, and down to Admiralty Island. Damage gradually decreased further out. All port facilities along a ten kilometre stretch of coast was wrecked or heavily damaged. Severe damage was done to Cairns International Airport but can be salvaged. Radiation levels of 100 rems or higher reach up to Mount Whitfield Conservation Park, west to Manunda, and south to Portsmith. Fallout extended out into the Coral Sea. Levels up to 100 rads per hour were recorded over sections of the Great Barrier Reef.

Townsville:

Ground zero is believed to be near Anzac Memorial Park. Total or near-total destruction extended along the coast from Rowes Bay to Southern Port Road, and inland to Townsville Airport. Damaged gradually decreased further out. The Port of Townsville was totally wrecked. Severe damage was done to Townsville Airport but may be salvageable. Radiation levels of 100 rems or greater were recorded along the coast from Belgian Gardens to Southern Port Road, south to the Rose River, and inland to West End. Fallout extended into the Coral Sea, affecting sections of the Great Barrier Reef and Magnetic Island.

Darwin:

It is believed that ground zero was located near Civic Square. Total or near total destruction was observed up to McMillans Road and east to Vanderlin Drive. Damage gradually decreased further out. Most of Port Darwin is wrecked, along with RAAF Darwin and Darwin International Airport. Radiation levels of 100 rems or more were detected up to Bayview, east to Charles Darwin National Park, and into Darwin and Fannie Bays. Fallout extended northeast into the Melacca Swamp Conservation Area, Djukbinj National Park, the Vernon Islands, Tiwi Islands, Gurig National Park, Croker Island, and into the Arafura Sea.

Alice Springs and Pine Gap:

Ground zero in Alice Springs was believed to be Anzac Hill Lookout. The entire city has suffered near total destruction. A few structures remained in Larapinta and south of the Ross Highway. Alice Springs Airport is virtually undamaged. Extremely high radiation levels were detected up to the Alice Springs Telegraph Station, east to Sadaleen, down to Stuart Rotary Park, and west to Araluen. Fallout extended northeast into the Simpson Desert. The Joint Defence Space Research Facility at Pine Gap was totally destroyed. Fallout from the Pine Gap bomb extended over Alice Springs and into the Simpson Desert. It can be expected the many of the survivors in Alice Springs will die from high radiation exposure due to both bombs bringing fallout over the same areas.

Perth:

Ground zero is believed to be near the Perth Concert Hall. Total or near total destruction extends up to the Yokine Reserve, east to Ascot Racecourse, down to Como, and west to Herdsman Lake. Perth International Airport suffered heavy damage and has high radiation levels due to fallout from the Fremantle bomb. High radiation levels cover nearly all of Perth due to fallout from three bombs (Perth, Fremantle, and Garden Island). Fallout from the Perth bomb extended all of the way to Mollerin Lake.

Fremantle:

Ground zero is located somewhere near Fremantle Hospital. Total or near total destruction extended up to Mosman Park, east to O’Conner, and down to Manning Park. Fremantle Port is totally wrecked. Radiation levels remain high in Fremantle due to radiation from both the Fremantle and Garden Island bombs. Fallout from the Fremantle bomb extended into Perth.

Garden Island

HMAS Stirling is totally destroyed. Heavy damage was observed in areas of Rockingham. Fallout from the Garden Island detonation extended into Fremantle and Perth.

It can be expected that many of the survivors of the Perth and Fremantle explosions will suffer or die from radiation sickness due to heavy fallout from all three bombs.

Signed,

Air Chief Marshal Neville Patrick McNamara, RAAF
Chief of the Defence Force Staff

Last edited:

Das_Colonel

Banned
Chilling update!

Just a note that Perth is almost visible from RAAF Pearce (should have been a target itself?) and that beacuase it sits on the Great Northern Highway it might have been compromised by refugees heading north or inland, up to the Murchison region.

You could possibly have aircraft dispersed to Jandakot or one of the regional airports like Geraldton or Kalgoorlie (have fun pronouncing that my American friend :D). I'm in WA so can help with ground truthing if thats useful.

If it hasn't been mentioned you might want to utilise NORFORCE to counter any potential incursions from our northern neighbours.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NORFORCE

They will have the authority to hold any looters or persons committing acts of violence for up to six months without a hearing or trial until local courts are re-established.

Hawke's being quite generous, IMVHO. In the UK those committing the same sort of acts were being shot.

Riain

Banned
Perhaps Indonesia will lash out in our direction to ease some of their internal problems with damage and refugees etc.

Seems likely that the capital is just going to return to Melbourne, as now the weight of population is overwhelmingly in the south east of continent. Other than Brisbane there aren't any major cities left out of that region.

"Perhaps Indonesia will lash out in our direction to ease some of their internal problems with damage and refugees etc."

With a decapitated government, internal power struggle apparently underway and limited power projection capabilities it's more likely that Indonesia would start to fall apart. Even if they somehow had the capability to be troublesome, the main parts of Australia near them have just been nuked. Where's the attraction in invading a radioactive disaster zone when they're struggling to hold their own country together?

Great storyline and it's very well written too. I'm enjoying it immensely, though obviously not the subject.

Riain

Banned
With a decapitated government, internal power struggle apparently underway and limited power projection capabilities it's more likely that Indonesia would start to fall apart. Even if they somehow had the capability to be troublesome, the main parts of Australia near them have just been nuked. Where's the attraction in invading a radioactive disaster zone when they're struggling to hold their own country together?

I'm not suggesting the central govt invade, rather local warlords encourage and facilitate the diaspora of unfortunates in their territories. What better way if dealing with tens of thousands of refugees then jamming them into a few ships and sending them to Australia and ridding themselves of the problem.

"I'm not suggesting the central govt invade, rather local warlords encourage and facilitate the diaspora of unfortunates in their territories. What better way if dealing with tens of thousands of refugees then jamming them into a few ships and sending them to Australia and ridding themselves of the problem."

Okay, but why not just send them to Irian Jaya or a neighbouring island to whatever one the warlord controls? Shorter distances to sail, no real radiation worries (depending on location I guess) and no Australian naval patrols. Even with all that happens, the Australian navy is likely to maintain patrols in the Timor Sea whereas there isn't likely to be much Indonesian naval presence in the Java and Banda Seas.

Or, in the gruesome world of P&S, why even worry about boats at all? If the warlords are ruthless enough, they might find it cheaper and easier to just shoot people?

But I take your point, there could well be a big increase in Indonesian 'boat people' trying to get to Australia. But I don't think it would be "Indonesia lashing out", more likely desperate civilians fleeing local chaos either with or without encouragement from any warlord. Big problem for them is that the obvious favoured destination, Darwin, is gone. With civilian infrastructure in WA devastated too it would come down to the near impossible task of the military having to try to find and then control refugees and establish and staff new camps from Carnarvon to Cape York. At a time when most of the military infrastructure in the north has disappeared and their main priority will be stabilising the situation in Sydney, Perth and Canberra. So, assuming that the Australian government won't take as draconian measures as are happening elsewhere in this timeline (which seems to be the hinted suggestion?), and Australian patrol boats won't be massacring refugees (I hope), it might even come down to a pragmatic solution of just trying to identify where any refugees land, give them a few supplies and tell them to stay there, we'll get back to you soon with some more food and water. Hardly ideal, and there's plenty of scope for disaster, but that might be as much as can be done in terms of humanitarianism and keeping an eye on refugees, at least until the country is stabilised.

"but I thought IRL there were no Soviet plans to nuke NZ at all"

Target lists don't get published of course so I think it's difficult to be conclusive. Even in Lange's day and with ANZUS nonfunctioning I wouldn't be too confident that Moscow wouldn't think it worthwhile to knock out a pro-US nation. Just to hamper the Yanks. At the very least, it would prevent the US Navy making use of NZ facilities so Auckland and the NZ government could still be seen as relevant targets?

No one said nuclear armageddon would be fair.

"that I had thought post Cold War research had said we were not on the target list."

I'm not sure how we can know for certain one way or the other? That's the sort of information no government is going to want to make public. Analysis may lead to people believing that NZ may not have been a target, and they may even have a good case, but how do we know exactly what the USSR may have had targeted? Since there were more than enough nukes available, there's at least a chance the USSR might have decided to target even peripheral locations like NZ (no offence implied, am speaking only in terms of a WW3 scenario). After all it seems like they hit Indonesia too, hardly an important US ally but Indonesia has a strategic location, so it does make sense from a Soviet viewpoint.