"What Madness Is This?" - A Timeline

Dammit! Why must you play God with our emotions, Napo!? :D

Well...shit. Any musical accompaniments you might suggest for the next chapter then? How grimdark is this gonna get? Honestly, are you just gonna get the aliens from Independence Day to come and vaporise everything? That or Vogons demolishing Earth is the only way mass sanity could break out.

To be honest, this ending is going to be the second-rate ending where everyone is screwed over, just so I'm not a liar when I've said that everyone loses in the end. It's just an ending, not my personal favorite or something.

THERE'S GOING TO BE A SECOND ENDING!!! :D:eek: And it won't even be an actual ending, and I'll continue that "ending" indefinitely with new chapters. That's right, that's the ending I want to do. So believe me when I say it's awesome and you guys will never guess what that second take has in store.

As for music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69AaPrJe0b8 :p:D

To be honest, this ending is going to be the second-rate ending where everyone is screwed over, just so I'm not a liar when I've said that everyone loses in the end. It's just an ending, not my personal favorite or something.

THERE'S GOING TO BE A SECOND ENDING!!! :D:eek: And it won't even be an actual ending, and I'll continue that "ending" indefinitely with new chapters. That's right, that's the ending I want to do. So believe me when I say it's awesome and you guys will never guess what that second take has in store.

As for music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69AaPrJe0b8 :p:D

Re: the music: hahaha YES! :D This just put me in mind of Fallout and drew a grim, grim laugh :p I can almost imagine someone in their front room, shooting up cyanide as they listen to this and the flash lights up the sky...Seems a bit like the ending of A Canticle For Leibowitz, y'know. Sans the Papal starship.

As for the endings...Coming Soon: How It Should Have Ended: WMIT

EDIT: If I may plagiarise Fallout some more, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l6vqPUM_FE

Last edited:
Holy shit! Everything's going to hell! And it. Is. GLORIOUS!

If you want a classical music finale, how about 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky, as the Overture always end with a bang.:cool:

Also, with this (kind of) done, are you going to start working with that American King III?

It's been an amazing ride, but in the end, the train has to stop somewhere. When this finally concludes, I'm going back and reading American King.

Zachanassian

Gone Fishin'
I can't decide, whether we will live or die
Oh we'll probably go to heaven, so don't you hang your head and cry
No wonder why my heart feels dead inside
It's hard and cold and petrified
Lock the doors and close the blinds
We're going for a ride!

Re: the music: hahaha YES! :D This just put me in mind of Fallout and drew a grim, grim laugh :p I can almost imagine someone in their front room, shooting up cyanide as they listen to this and the flash lights up the sky...Seems a bit like the ending of A Canticle For Leibowitz, y'know. Sans the Papal starship.

As for the endings...Coming Soon: How It Should Have Ended: WMIT

EDIT: If I may plagiarise Fallout some more, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l6vqPUM_FE

Holy shit! Everything's going to hell! And it. Is. GLORIOUS!

If you want a classical music finale, how about 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky, as the Overture always end with a bang.:cool:

Also, with this (kind of) done, are you going to start working with that American King III?

nuclear fire, here we come!

:eek::D:eek::D:mad::D:mad::D

Also, how about Mars, Bringer of War? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I

It's been an amazing ride, but in the end, the train has to stop somewhere. When this finally concludes, I'm going back and reading American King.

And it's been an amazing ride thanks in part to readers lie you. You guys constantly helped me through this whole story, and it wouldn't be nearly as good without you guys having your input.

As all thing must end, and this being the period between the second to last and the last update, and knowing where this world will probably end up, I find this song and clip appropriate.

Paint me like one of your Betters of Society girls, Jack." :p:D

I can't decide, whether we will live or die
Oh we'll probably go to heaven, so don't you hang your head and cry
No wonder why my heart feels dead inside
It's hard and cold and petrified
Lock the doors and close the blinds
We're going for a ride!

Very appropriate.

ZERO HOUR
post_apocalypse_18.jpg

Like a loved-one hooked up to a thousand life-support devices just to keep their heart pumping, sometimes it is best for all involved to pull the plug. There is an end for everything. Our forefathers were arrogant, stupid, and violently psychotic. They were out of control and did not have mastery over any of their emotions.

From the actions of FARNE, to the terrible leadership exhibited by Europe, 2006's Second World War was the worst thing to occur in the history of mankind. Without the use of nuclear weapons, the paranoia and hatred could have dragged on for decades more. Hundreds of millions died in WWII. But humanity survived. There was no total destruction of humanity. It took over 100 years, but we picked ourselves up again. Japan was sunk into the sea. Britain was flooded and irradiated. Places like Poland and Louisiana were so wracked by nuclear bombs that to this day nothing really lives in those areas. In the future, people will once again live there. And in New York. In Shicagwa. In London. In Paris. It will take time. It will not be easy. But together, humanity shall overcome the adversities created by it's last several generations and bring about a glorious world-wide empire of peace. Where no one shall know war or famine, or violence or shooting. Where we will all live together in understanding and harmony.

That is why, on this date, January 1st, 2110, we are proud to proclaim the Federated Empire of the Americas. This is the dawn of a glorious new day for humanity. For decades, starting in the 2070s, the Federation of American States struggled to survive in the post-War environment. But Philip McCoy found a way to unite us all under his banner, and created an Empire forged from the annexation of 189 nations all over the Americas. May God bless us all as we seek to do His will, and the Emperor's. Long live Emperor Philip I of the Americas! Long may he reign!

-FAS Prime Minister Logan Spears, January 1st, 2110 (104 years after the bombs fell)

It is impossible for experts to know who fired the first shot. Who fired the first nuke. But on June 6th, 2006, the world as it had been was destroyed. Shicagwa, Boston, Rome, and Paris all went at about the same time, burned up in the atomic fire. Richmond, Newport News, Moscow and Berlin went next. The Romanov family was completely wiped out. Napoleona survived the initial nuclear strikes, but hanged herself in her bunker. The massive Bonaparte-Hapsburg family was flung all over Europe, and well into the 2100s, various princelings and nobles gathered troops and weapons to fight each other, like some sort of bizarre post-modern return to the Middle Ages.

Russia, for the most part, never recovered. Its population decimated and its far-flung empire now well out of its zone of control, it became a permanent war-zone where bands of soldiers pillaged on a daily basis and rode across the steppes, like their ancestors, burning and raping all along the way.

Prussia was almost completely destroyed. Russia detonated hundreds of nuclear bombs on Prussian soil. The Hohenzollerns vanished from the pages of history, never to be heard from again.

The Confederacy was turned into a radioactive wasteland by both LASR and FARNE. Almost everything was completely destroyed. Fallout lay thickest near Newport News, formerly one of the greatest cities ever built. Tens of millions died in just the strikes at Virginia alone.

LASR was completely destroyed. Texas was wiped off the map. Charles Oswald II escaped the nuclear fires somewhere in a bunker complex in the southern part of Texas. He emerged in the 2010s to try to reclaim his nation, but most laughed in his face. He died at age 69, alone, penniless, and in a ghetto gutter near Fort Lehr, Texas, in 2022, a bottle of whiskey in his hand and a 22. round his face.

FARNE was also almost totally annihilated. George Bush II and Romney fled to Quebec (or Keybeck as the Americans had taken to calling it since the 1980s). They survived in a fallout bunker complex high in the mountains, but never again rose to prominence. In 2020, Midas Goldstein, the unrepentant "Black Jew of Camp 222," was captured by an Inferior band of looters near Toledo. The old man was brutally tortured and murdered, stabbed and shot an estimated 220 times. William Graham supposedly stood on the roof of "Anti-Rome" clothed in a white flowing tunic as the air raid sirens wailed, his arms extended as if to greet Jesus in a Second Coming. He was turned into a pillar of dust as the first European nuke slammed into Shicagwa. America's 200 year quest for Manifest Destiny was finally ended, and the AFC cult never again recovered.

The largely neutral Kingdom of California, meanwhile, experienced less nuclear catastrophe. California expanded the number of its districts greatly when it occupied the majority of LASR and Mexico following WWII. However, when the McCoy's Federation emerged on the East Coast during the 2070s, California invaded, trying to secure its position as master of the Americas. Instead, over-extended and under-equipped, California lost in a humiliating fashion and was eventually annexed into the Federation on October 1st, 2093.

In South America, Peru was completely wiped out. European missile bases there were among the first targets for American bombs. In the end, South America was plunged back into an almost pre-Columbus era. Warring tribes and militias fought each other over valuable resources and the jungles slowly began to reclaim the once-great metropolitan areas.

In Africa and the Middle East, the UAE saw hundreds of European, South African, and American nukes send their culture back to days of Mohammed. The Empire crumbled and hundreds of local warlords and sheiks set themselves up as dictators of innumerable states. The old Imperial Family was killed. The Republican Union of South Africa was largely wiped out by Egyptian and European nukes. The white ruling class had largely cleansed the nation of blacks, and in the years following the WWII's end, white militias and groups kept blacks from ever moving back in, but still could never unite under a single banner like the old RUSA.

In Asia, the Chinese nations and Japan were completely destroyed, largely by Russia. Hundreds of millions died in hours. Japan was largely sunk into the sea, never again to have any sort of culture that really amounted to anything. Indonesia was also hard-hit by Russia, and the white fascist government collapsed, but managed to hit Russia and its allies back before it was too late. Indochina was largely uninhabitable until the 2020s.

After all this atomic warfare, a nuclear winter settled itself over the planet. Temperatures plunged, making central South America more like Canada. Culture and the arts would not even exist for several decades. Millions of refugees saw themselves getting literally enslaved to local warlords all over the planet. Those who ruled successfully usually had the most gold and the best weapons. The people of Witchiganee, former South Carolina, could brag they held one of the old atomic warheads, unused, and still capable of hitting anywhere on earth. Eventually, the people there killed each other in a series of civil wars, and the Federation moved in to secure the site.

And thus ended the Old Era. It had begun during the War of 1812, and it had ended when those first bombs fell on 6-6-06. Mutually Assured Destruction had ravaged the entire planet and sent it back to the 15th Century. Mankind had been left to its most radical hatreds and violent urges, and it wiped itself out. Unchecked and unrestricted, hatred, religious intolerance, racism, and xenophobia had consumed the majority of the world's population. They killed each other. Like so many insane lunatics, they were willing to roast the planet. But what was it really over? Why did they do it? Why were so many people led into believing in cults, dictators, and tyrants, all over the world, and why did they seem to revert back to that under figures like Emperor Philip? The world may never know. But it happened that way, and it can happen anywhere, at anytime, and at any place. For mankind, for all its glorious achievements, is a mad animal, and all it takes is a little push to send it careening off the cliff into murder and genocide and atrocities. It seems to be human nature to give too much power to too few people for too long. And those too few leaders stayed in power because they knew these things. They knew that as long as their people had an enemy, be it American, Slav, Irish, Black, White, Catholic, Protestant, and the rest, they would turn a blind eye as their freedoms were eroded. Thus, this twisted story seemingly about mankind's demise is actually about the quest for absolute power, and about the madness this power creates in its possessors.
First they came for the Beutelists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Beutelist.
Then they came for the Irishmen, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not an Irishman.
Then they came for their political enemies, and I did not speak out—
Because I did not want to become a political enemy.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

And then there was no one left at all.

Last edited:
wait for second ending, rock(nuke) fall and everybody dies is the author being lazy(no offense fella)

Still this endend how should have ended..in madnesss but at the end, hope never dies...but well maybe more MADNESS CAN COME :eek:

Very poignant, philosophical, food for thought and an excellent place to leave it. And I do honestly mean that.

However, humans being humans, what people actually want is more wars and explosions, so… second ending? :D

Good job my friend.:cool:

Thanks, EVC! :D

Very poignant, philosophical, food for thought and an excellent place to leave it. And I do honestly mean that.

However, humans being humans, what people actually want is more wars and explosions, so… second ending? :D

Thank you very much, Albion! That's exactly what I was aiming for.

YES! Second Ending comin' up! :D:cool:

wait for second ending, rock(nuke) fall and everybody dies is the author being lazy(no offense fella)

Still this endend how should have ended..in madnesss but at the end, hope never dies...but well maybe more MADNESS CAN COME :eek:

That's why I didn't have everyone die. ;) They continue in their throes of craziness well into the 2100s. :eek: I mean, good gravy, these people are messed up. I'm just not interested in continuing this to show every minutia of what happens after the Bombs. I could do this ending of the TL to infinity if I didn't stop now. :p

But yes, this is the less awesome/epic ending, as in the other one will blow your minds and is completely different. :D

Last edited:
I had expected something crazier, like everyone working it out together and becoming a team and the whole thing ends with a fireworks display which consists of every I.C.B.M. being launched into space and detonated. That would be true madness.

Napoleon53, you made ​​one of the best timelines AH.com of all time!! Who knew the follies of Napoleona and Bush II would lead to the ruin of mankind. I wonder if Brazil would still be a beutelist dictatorship and we will have a different ending (without nukes).

TheCakeIsALie, that would be optimism—which, in a TL like this, whichever alternate-historians are still alive to scratch for food among the rubble will consider about as realistic as "Operation Sealion with dinosaur airships with atomic lasers".

TheCakeIsALie, that would be optimism—which, in a TL like this, whichever alternate-historians are still alive to scratch for food among the rubble will consider about as realistic as "Operation Sealion with dinosaur airships with atomic lasers".

Not so unrealistic when you realize that some peacenik terrorists could create an airburst I.C.B.M. that distributes Valium, Ambiens and other assorted empathogens into the atmosphere to pacify everyone.

Tprynn

Banned
Maybe I've been spoiled by everything that's come before, but I was expecting more of a Dr.Stranglove ending to this TL, watching someone push the button much like the fall of Oswald chapter. Don't get me wrong, it's a good ending. I just wanted to see Custer/Steele/Oswald riding a bomb :p

Not so unrealistic when you realize that some peacenik terrorists could create an airburst I.C.B.M. that distributes Valium, Ambiens and other assorted empathogens into the atmosphere to pacify everyone.

The point is that, in a TL like this one, anyone in-universe would consider anything remotely close to a happy ending as ludicrously unrealistic.

Also: I'm unsure if this is supposed to be a joke (I'd hope so) but I'll bite. Getting hold of ICBMs isn't that easy, and manufacturing enough to pacify everyone in the world would be flat-out impossible for a superpower, let alone an insurgent group.

Creating a convincing dystopia is difficult, but getting rid of one is even harder—especially a world like this, unlike in (e.g.) a Nazi victory, there's no institutional memory of democracy to rebuild on, only an endless supply of Bismarck-esque myths of strong, decisive, great leaders (the ones remembered as the "greatest", of course, being the most warlike ones—just see how Richard the Lionheart is remembered compared to John). In this world, the UK and much of North America have known democracies centuries in the past, but that's as far as it gets. The idea of a country run by elections would probably not even occur to virtually anyone in the 21st century ITTL, except (perhaps) in Columbia, and even there the post-war experience of endless war, famine and struggle for survival is likely to quickly kill anyone old enough to have experienced life before the American conquest.

Good God... That ending... :eek:

This both made me sigh in relief, and feel really sad at the end of it all. I was expecting something like this, but not as bad as it was shown here.

But alas, I'll wait for the second ending and someone to roll in the credits.