Shelter From the Storm- P&S: Dutch Harbor, Alaska

Hey Everyone,

I posted back last year in the P&S thread about dredging up some support regarding a P&S centered in Alaska around the small fishing community of Dutch Harbor. I know I'm kind of jumping the gun on this, but as I didn't receive any for or against voices in the open thread, I decided to give this a go and see what happens. For those of you who don't know or don't recognize the name it's the community that the Discovery Chanel show "Deadliest Catch" is filmed in. This is still in its early stages and I'm definitely still gathering information. I've got an introduction written, but I'd love to get some opinions and a few additional sets of eyes. The story would be set mainly in Dutch Harbor, but as there are plenty of fishing boats in the area, I would have them sending out expeditions to check on some of the other communities in the Aleutians and the mainland.

I decided to have this as a stand-alone story, as Chipperback's Land of Flatwater is set in Nebraska and the new P&S fic, The Island, is set in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas. None of the other P&S stories have even mentioned Alaska other than in passing to reference the total destruction of Anchorage. Dutch Harbor seems like a pretty unlikely place to set a story in the post-nuclear war era, but its fairly self-sufficient. There's more than enough fuel up there to last at least one to two years, and the large amount of freighters from East Asia that made their way to Dutch even in the early 1980s' should give the community enough breathing room to find other sources of marine diesel. The cast of characters will end up mainly being the captains and crews of the fishing fleet of Dutch. Since my family and I spent quite a bit of time up there in the early 1990's, I know the names of quite a few of the captains from that era, but I'd be changing names as most of those people are still alive.

The Dutch Harbor naval base shut down in 1947/48 and the army base was closed about the same time, so there's no real need for the USSR to target it with an ICBM other than out of sheer spite. There were, however, two military targets in the Aleutians that the Soviets would be happy to take out:

-Shemya AFB, Shemya Island: USAF listening post, site of the COBRA DANE early warning radar station, location of a White Alice Communications System for USAF/USN communications in Alaska (rendered obsolete due to satellite communications but would likely be reactivated as a back-up to satellite coms during any US-USSR conflict, code-named PROJECT BLUEGRASS), location of several RC-135 Cobra Ball ICBM tracking aircraft used for intelligence gathering/ballistic missile tracking in Eastern Siberia and the Kamchatka Peninsula. Shemya would have been the primary Soviet target in the Aleutians in the event of a nuclear exchange with the USA.

-Naval Air Facility Adak/NAF Adak: US Navy base for P-3 Orion antisubmarine aircraft. At least 6,000 navy personnel and their families lived and worked on Adak in 1983 and it would have been a major Soviet target during the nuclear exchange. NAF Adak would have been able to base additional aircraft in a support role for operations at Shemya AFB. Adak served as a mid-way refueling station for USAF B-47's during the early Cold War and was considered the half-way point for flights from Elmendorf AFB to Shemya AFB at the end of the Aleutians.

Anyways, here's the first entry for "Shelter From the Storm." Let me know how it sounds. I'd love input from Chipperback and any others involved in the current P&S writing project! Enjoy!

Prologue/Introduction: Shelter from the Storm
Dutch Harbor, Alaska
July 12, 2013

The marine fog rolled in thick in the early afternoon, obscuring the hills and slowly melting snow banks from view. The tundra had come in later this year, thick green carpets of life covering the crumbling igneous rock that made up most of the islands of the Aleutians. Eagles cawed and called to one another, screeching as they flew low over the gravel roads and rooftops. Crows and smaller robins flew back and forth between rock crevices, black and brown specks against a white fog bank. Off in the distance, one of the new three story apartment buildings was under construction, a bizarre hybrid of American ghetto and Soviet cinder-block design. The population was too large now to be contained in the old base housing, which was itself on the verge of collapse. The army never built the fort to last, and the heavy snowfall and wet marine climate had rotted out most of the support beams in the barracks. It had taken five years to get the local support together to build the new apartment complexes and nobody had wanted to appropriate the money, but as the old Japanese captains would say, Shikata Ga Nai, it cannot be helped.

The first memorial to the war had been built down on the waterfront, next to the memorial plaques placed by the 86th Naval Combat Battalion during the war to commemorate the dead from the Japanese air raid. It was a simple thing, granite, with the Lord’s Prayer carved into it, below the phrase, “We Remained.” People out here did not need flowery rhetoric or oratory to remind them. Life was always harsh for the men and women who went down to the sea in ships. The Revenue Cutter graveyard with its row upon row of white crosses, Russian Orthodox and Roman Catholic and Protestant, dug into the hillsides was reminder enough. No war would change the realities of life for the men who made their living taking sustenance and prosperity from the ocean. The ocean had always been a harsh mistress who gave as freely as she took. Storms would roll in, boats would roll over, and crews would disappear into the rolling black waters of the Bering Sea. No bombs or radiation would change that. Shikata Ga Nai.

Memory in this place was difficult to pin down, not because no one remembered the war or their lives before it, but because there was not one unifying memory to speak of. Refugees had filled the empty corners of the island, turning one thousand into ten thousand in a matter of five years. By nineteen-ninety-nine, the population had grown to almost twenty thousand. None were from the same country. Thousands made the journey across the Bering from the Kamchatka Peninsula, Soviet refugees came to seek refuge on an island where their ancestors had once forced the locals to hunt seals for profit. Thousands more came from Japan, one or two had even participated in the air raids during the Second World War. Still more came from the mainland, refugees from Anchorage and elsewhere fleeing from the radioactivity from the detonations at Elmendorf. Still others came from Asia, Koreans and Vietnamese who signed on with freighters and fishing boats who brought their families to the only safe haven that they knew of. Khmer Rouge survivors who had come to this place before the war in search of a better life for their family lived alongside Soviet sailors and Midwestern bomber pilots. Shikata Ga Nai.

Life was and still remains harsh in this place where the winters linger and where the unforgiving sea does not give up her bounty easily or without a price. Before the fishing boats came, and before the men of the fishing fleet arrived to make their fortunes on the rolling seas, the Aleuts had known hardship and deprivation. The island had given to them sustenance on the tundra and in the ocean, but they had always suffered. Their way of life had disappeared when the Russians arrived, bringing with them religion and the insatiable demand for seal pelt, but there had always been hope that they could return to the old ways again. When the bombs fell and the refugees arrived, the hope that the prosperity the crab fleets had brought could be leveraged to support the native communities disappeared along with the federal government that had only recently recognized their land claims. Whatever might have been was erased on that February day. Shikata Ga Nai.

For the refugees themselves, most of them left the war on the tarmac at Unalaska Airport or at the docks on arrival. Straggler Soviet patrol boats and American FB-111’s came to rest a half-mile from one another, but their conflict was left at the door. Above all else, survival was more important than winning. Even in the dark days of ’84, when Soviet and American forces killed one another in the radioactive ash, somehow or another Dutch Harbor survived and the peace was kept in the small town. Weather would kill as quickly as a .50 caliber round. Storms, hurricane force winds, freak gales, all threatened life and limb just as much as a Soviet thermonuclear warhead in this isolated place. Aircraft and ships found their way to the bottom of the Pacific in this place easily, either from cruise missile, torpedo, or freak wave. As the Japanese learned during the last war, fighting the elements in the Aleutians was a larger war than fighting the enemy. And so, in a community of refugees and immigrants seeking a quick profit in a community built as much on the dream of profit as the reality of hardship, the peace was maintained. Shikata Ga Nai.

Alaska was the last frontier of the United States, and this place was the frontier of the frontier. In the three decades that followed the day of fire, it was transformed into a place of sanctuary and refuge, a shelter from the storm. The Aleutians would always be wild and unspoiled, but civilization, even the truncated civilization that survived the nuclear holocaust, had found its way to this place. The irony for most residents was that it had taken the near-destruction of global civilization to transform this place from frontier into a center of civilization, even if just for the North Pacific. The fringes of society became the center of society, and those who made their lives and their homes on this small island believed that maybe when the history books were written, their little town would be more than a footnote. And still, through the travails and trials of the aftermath, men still went down to the sea in ships, seeking their livelihoods and fortunes upon the storm tossed black waters of the Pacific Ocean. Shikata Ga Nai.

Last edited:
I guess that I should warn you guys that Shelter From The Storm, like the one-off "The Journey," is going to be much less thunder and glory and more, "How do we survive." Most of the interactions will be between the city council, the plant/company managers, the captains of the boats, and the influx of survivors from Asia, mainland Alaska, and the Lower 48. I'm planning on having a confrontation between the town council members after a few American planes arrive just before a Soviet patrol boat comes into harbor. Other than that, most of it will be the seemingly mundane discussions about how to feed, clothe, and house the thousands of people that will be pouring into the island in the coming months and years. Although it takes down the action level significantly when compared to the original P&S and Chipperback's Land of Flatwater, it should make for interesting storytelling.

The other big thing that I want to have happen is for a few of the fishing fleet vessels, along with one of the coast guard cutters stationed at Dutch, to head out and take a look at Adak and Shemya. I figure the juxtaposition of idyllic Aleutian tundra and flowers next to smoldering atomic craters would be a great bit of descriptive writing. I can't remember whether or not Juneau was on the list of targets for Soviet ICBM's or bombers in Alaska, but if it was, then there are only a few remaining centers of civilization in Alaska. Fairbanks and Anchorage are both gone on doomsday, which eliminates two of the biggest cities in Alaska. The Alaska Pipeline is likely destroyed, or at least parts of it have been taken out as I'm imagining that the Soviets wouldn't ignore that kind of infrastructure to go untouched in the event of an all-out war with the US.

So, like I said, less thunder and glory, more day-to-day survival struggles with perhaps one or two incidents with actual shooting. I could imagine even connecting with the one-off about the USS Michigan if I can get to that point.

Will you start in the fall of 1983?

Good start, and don't abandon this.:D

Haha, I'm going to try to keep my motivation up for this one. I've been thinking about it for quite some time now, and I'm getting into the research for it. Hopefully the P&S writers like it too, as I posted it in the "When the Wind Blew" thread to get formal approval for it to be added to the P&S timeline.

I'm going to start probably in the late fall or winter of 1983. My early plans have it running through into the early 1990's, so I'm not going to spend as much time on the immediate post-exchange months. Most of that will be discussing things like, "We've got a flood of refugees coming in from the mainland," and "Where do we house the half-starved and irradiated people?" Like I said, this isn't thunder and glory P&S, this is mostly going to be boots on the ground survival with very little shooting. The way I figured it, Dutch Harbor would be the ideal place to ride out a nuclear war: No targets nearby, relative geographic isolation, an economic infrastructure entirely devoted to producing food products (seafood industry) for mass consumption, large amounts of free land, a huge watershed, and a relatively low starting population that wouldn't immediately tax the existing resource base on the island.

That said, the biggest challenge for most of the story will be getting their hands on diesel and bunker fuel for the fishing fleet and the tramp freighters in port, and getting building materials. Fort Mears was 42 years old at the time that the nuclear exchange would have occurred and was not built by the Corps of Engineers to stand that long. The wood was beginning to rot away after four decades of exposure to sea air and harsh Alaska winters. Demolition was already scheduled for the buildings located in the town beginning in 1984, but the nuclear exchange would put those plans on indefinite hiatus. When the refugees start showing up, the housing situation is going to get really bad, really fast. And, the only vacant buildings on the whole island in 1984 that could house hundreds, if not thousands of refugees would be...Fort Mears. I don't want to delve into wank territory, but it is really the perfect place to set up a survivor community that could become a center of reconstruction in the North Pacific. They are in the perfect location to get survivors from mainland Alaska, East Asia, and the Soviet Union. The city had a close connection with Petropavlosk in Kamchatka that went back to the Russian colonial era, and it had been used as a refueling stop for Soviet fishing trawlers throughout the Cold War. Japanese, South Korean, and Taiwanese freighters picked up crab, halibut, and salmon from the processing plants on a monthly basis.

The very good news for the people of Dutch will be that the nuclear exchange takes place at the height of Snow and King Crab season, so when the fleet returns to port after the nukes go a'flying, they'll have more than enough food to keep everyone relatively well fed through the winter months. The bad news is that they are going to be looking down the barrel of vitamin deficiency for most of the townspeople after a few months of living off of crab, halibut, and cod with very little variety in their diets. I guess that's preferable to radiation exposure, but its still going to be a pain in the ass for those living there.

But, I do have a question for anyone who is writing/wrote for P&S: Did the FAA ground all domestic air travel after the outbreak of hostilities with the Soviet Union, or would they have grounded air travel in Alaska after the war began? Dutch is right in the air corridors between Elmendorf AFB, NAF Adak, and AFB Shemya, so I would assume that the DOD would have severely limited or suspended all air travel in that area. If so, then not only do they have a bunch of fishing boats and freighters, but they've got the possibility of up to a dozen grounded flights, including one or two 737-200C's and at least one Lockheed L-188 Electra. They have large underground storage tanks for aviation fuel, so they could risk sending out a few survey flights to survey the damage on the mainland.

Anyways, comment away!

In case anyone wants to know what the town looked like in the years leading up to the exchange, here's a good shot of it circa 1972 (not a whole lot changed in the intervening 11 years, most of the build up began in the early-mid 1990's when more of the crab fishing income began to come into the town).
Dutch_Harbor_Naval_Op._Base.jpg

good old splinter cities:D:D:D

if i remember correctly they were designed to last 10 years....60 years later, some are still standing and used!!!!

good old splinter cities:D:D:D

if i remember correctly they were designed to last 10 years....60 years later, some are still standing and used!!!!

Haha, the problem is that the Corps of Engineers didn't plan on how destructive the marine climate would be on the overall structure of the buildings, combined with pretty harsh Aleutian winters by 1984 the buildings were crumbling. Only three of the base structures left from Fort Mears in Dutch Harbor proper are left now, they were bought up by one of the companies to use as bunk houses for their crews. The good news is that if the town can get their hands on building materials, they can fix up some of the buildings to use as shelter for refugees, but its going to be a nightmare for the first few years living situation wise.

Like I said, I'm not even sure if Juneau survived the war. If that's the case, then there isn't even a surviving state government for Dutch Harbor to petition. The only bright spot is that there were two lower ranking government officials in town in February 1984, one from the Department of the Interior and one from the Minerals Management Service, finishing up an Environmental Impact Survey on the Navarin Basin Lease in the Bering Sea. Navarin Basin is on the maritime border between the US and the Soviet Union and was being discussed for possible exploratory oil drilling. If I read correctly, there was possibly a Soviet representative in town as well from whatever the Soviet equivalent of the Interior Department was to discuss how the lease would effect the official maritime border between them, as Navarin Basin technically spills over onto the Soviet side of the 1867 border. And, as usual, there were officials from US Fish and Wildlife up there to monitor the fishing fleet. So, there are a handful of low ranking government guys and possibly one Soviet government official up there.

If it turns out that Juneau is gone, I'll probably end up having the US government officials work with the city government to form some sort of interim government for the Aleutians that would answer to any surviving state government on the mainland. As there are no solid updates in Duck and Cover, Land of Flatwater, or any of the other P&S timelines on Alaska, and the only mention was static coming out of Anchorage, I'll assume that the government in Walla Walla could care less about the small towns and villages in Alaska which survived the exchange, which means that the good people of Dutch Harbor will be on their own for a while. They will have to barter and negotiate for what they need to survive with the other communities like Cold Bay, the Pribilof Island communities, and possibly Nome once the winter ice flows break up. If Nome survived, which I would assume they did according to the P&S timeline, they've got a chance for at least one or two members of the governor's cabinet surviving.

Like I said, I'd love to get some additional input from the rest of the P&S people and reading audience. I'm going to try to put together a chapter one this weekend and get it uploaded for you guys to read. If you don't mind, I'd like to post this on the Spacebattles forums as well, since I've gotten some great writing feedback from them in the past.

Chapter One- Setting the Stage

Here's the first chapter. Let me know what you guys think!

Chapter 1- Setting the Stage

City Manager’s Office
City Planning Building
Dutch Harbor-Unalaska, Alaska, USA
5:00 PM, November 1, 1983

A North Pacific wind howled just beyond the thick glass windows of the city manager’s office, driving snow obscuring the view of the main road one hundred feet away. The headlights of passing trucks and Jeep Wagoneer’s shone through the near-blizzard conditions and illuminated the gravel road, which was at this point more compacted snow than the gravel and dirt roads that linked the city together. It was usual late fall winter for the small fishing community of 1,400, the Bering Sea storms that rolled in would blanket the town in a few inches of snow before the winter freeze would set in, turning the islands into a field of snow and ice until the spring thaw in April. The weather was harsh and unforgiving in this little corner of the Pacific Ocean, storms would roll in and blast at the wood, concrete, steel, and corrugated tin buildings with gusts of fifty to sixty miles an hour and bring with them the kind of rain and snow that would convince most who lived in what many Alaskans referred to as the “Lower Forty-Eight” to stock up on food and water. Up here, in America’s last frontier, and in the frontier of that frontier, most would simply shrug their shoulders and plan to spend another ten minutes warming their cars up before going to work.

A saying in those parts was that those who lived and worked in Alaska and in the Aleutians in particular were a certain kind of crazy. They were the kind of people who saw a storm with eighty mile-per-hour winds and blizzard conditions and decided to take a one-hundred and twenty foot fishing boat out into the middle of the maelstrom. They dealt with long waits at the post office, three radio stations and four television stations, and supermarkets that looked more like outfitting stores for wilderness expeditions than like a suburban grocery store. They drove jeeps and four-by-four trucks over pitted gravel roads, and lived in the shadows of ruins and relics from the Second World War. They flew out of an airport that had last seen major construction during the Second World War, its original intended purpose was to bomb Aleutian Islands occupied by the Japanese, and they mostly flew on planes whose vintage was nearly the same.

It was a town which had served on the front lines during the war with Japan, which turned the sleepy Aleut village into a bustling military base housing nineteen thousand soldiers and dozens of bombers and fighters. It had seen its fair share of important people come and go: Senators, Generals, Admirals, writers, Japanese business executives, all had passed through the towns at one time or another. Its mountain, named “Mount Ballyhoo,” was named by famed writer Jack London on his way through the town on a seal fishing boat at the turn of the century. Gore Vidal had once been here during the war, writing his breakthrough novel “Williwaw” based on his experiences during the war in the small island. It was a frontier with a long historical inheritance, and one that the people were proud to call their own.

A new chapter was being added to that history with the burgeoning king crab industry. Millions of pounds of crab were being brought in from the rich fishing grounds in the Bering Sea every year, bringing much needed money and income to the small town. They had enough income to finally construct the long-planned bridge between Amaknak Island and Unalaska Island, linking the two communities together into one. The new school had been built with matching funds from the fishing companies and the state of Alaska. Although the numbers of crab had dwindled in 1982 and seemingly in 1983, the income would continue rolling in for the foreseeable future. Chronic housing shortages on the island, together with the need to update the town’s infrastructure to meet the growing demands placed on it by the fishing industry meant that most of the time and effort from the city council, mayor, and town manager was spent planning new and creative ways to avoid dealing with the problem.

And so, on that frigid and stormy November evening, city manager Don Johannsen was rifling through a stack of paperwork trying desperately to finish work and get home to his wife and two daughters, who were sitting at home doing their homework while his wife Ann cooked the family dinner. Stacks of papers sat in irregular, and seemingly unstable piles marked “Urgent,” “Not Urgent,” and, the highest of them, marked “City Planning Meeting Minutes: October 15, 1983.” It was his unfortunate duty, as he viewed it, to read and respond to the suggestions of the city council and city planners following town council meetings and city planning meetings which occurred twice a month, usually within three days of one another. Most of the time, the suggestions were either unfeasible or would run into the ever-looming threat of drawing the ire and derision of the Ounalashka Corporation, the native Aleut governance board that had final say over anything occurring on the island that had to do with economic development. They had been given control over most of the island after the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act of 1971, which returned control over most of the coastal real estate of Alaska back to the Aleut and Native Alaskan tribes. While politically expedient for the federal government, it placed Johannsen and most of the town council and city planners at odds with the Aleut population who viewed development as a threat to their traditional ways of life.

Johannsen found the file he was looking for, marked “Airport Paving Project,” and flipped it open.

“They expect me to find the money for this?” Johannsen muttered to himself as he skimmed the four page report. As usual, the city council believed that they could find a way to appropriate funds to expand the city’s airport to accommodate more jet aircraft to strengthen the town’s economic ties with the Lower Forty-Eight and justify Alaska Airlines, the state’s main airline, creating a dedicated flight between Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in Washington State and Dutch Harbor, avoiding the usual layover at Anchorage Airport.

Sitting on top of one of the large green steel filing cabinets behind his desk was a small radio, tuned to one of the local radio stations, giving Johannsen background noise as he continued his work.

“In international news, the crisis in Germany continues as US and NATO leaders have taken a hard stance regarding the events of October 27 in Berlin. The deaths of East and West German students protesting against the increased Soviet military presence in the eastern sector of the city have forced President Reagan and other Western leaders to denounce Soviet actions and increase their own military presence in the western sector of the city, and along the inter-German border. Reports from Bonn indicate that NATO has stepped up patrols along the Fulda Gap and in other areas. Tensions are high, but there are indications that diplomatic efforts are ongoing behind the scenes…”

Johannsen stopped for a moment to listen to the news. He had served in the US Army during the 1960’s and had been in West Berlin during the 1961 Berlin Crisis. He knew personally how tense things could get in the city.

“Glad I’m not there,” thought Johannsen.

Just as he was beginning to remember his youthful days in Berlin with the US Army, the door to his office swung open, revealing his secretary, Rebecca Edwards.

“Don, it’s almost five thirty, shouldn’t you be getting home?” She asked him. Edwards had worked for him for the past four years as his personal secretary and assistant. Before that, she had worked for him when he sat on the board of North Pacific Fisheries. Both of them had come to the small town in the early 1970’s with their families, Rebecca’s husband was captain of one of the multitude of crab fishing boats that called Dutch Harbor their home port. She had been one of the few women to work a managerial job in the mostly male-dominated fishing industry of Alaska. She came with him to the city manager’s office after deciding that she wanted to get out of the industry while she still had the chance and before she heard one more back-handed comment from another aged and wrinkled male face telling her, “Skirts don’t belong in the office.”

“I’ve still got some paperwork to go through from the last city council meeting. They’re petitioning me again to set up a planning board to look into paving the runway and expanding it to justify getting Alaska Airlines to set up that damned Dutch Harbor-Seatac flight. If I get one more of these stupid petitions or initial surveys, I swear I’m going to throw them all into Captain’s Bay and let them freeze to death,” Johannsen remarked.

“Ha ha, you do that Don and the only thing you’ll accomplish is getting another city council elected who will send you petitions and surveys looking into the possibility of firing you,” Edwards jokingly replied.

“At this point, I’d even help them write out the paperwork!” Johannsen said.
Edwards walked over and sat down in front of the desk, placing another stack of papers in front of the tired looking city planner.

“And what in the hell are those? Don’t tell me that the city planning council has another first-round survey for one more damned infrastructure upgrade,” Johannsen said in an exacerbated tone of voice.

“You’re not that lucky Don. This just came in express from Anchorage on the last Reeve’s Air flight,” said Edwards.

“What that the hell is this crap?” Johannsen stated quizzically.

“It’s an overview document from FEMA. It looks like a lot of the state governments are starting to put together some civil defense plans just in case this thing in Germany continues going,” Edwards explained.

“So what do they want me to do? It’s not like we’re high on anyone’s list of potential targets,” said Johannsen.

“It’s just a precautionary measure, but they want us to start looking into the possibility of stockpiling additional stores of food and possible evacuation routes,” said Edwards.

“And where, pray tell, do they want me to evacuate these fifteen hundred people to? Up the side of the mountain, or perhaps into the harbor maybe?”

“No suggestions like that; they just want us to talk at the next city council meeting about emergency preparedness. You know, having extra stocks of food around in case of national emergency, where we could evacuate people in case of war or unrest, things like that.”

“Look Rebecca, you deal with it, I’ve got enough problems on my hands without dealing with another stupid state level directive. I’m up to my elbows in council minutes, I’ve got a meeting with the Ounalashka Corporate board next week, I have count e’m not just one but two guys from the Interior Department doing this stupid Environmental Impact Survey for the Navarin Base Lease to the oil companies, and we’ve got a representative of the Soviet Oil and Gas Ministry flying in next week from Vladivostok to meet with them to work out any ramifications of the oil drilling on the Soviet maritime boundary and how it’d affect Soviet exploratory drilling on their side of the border. To top it all off, we’re in the middle of crab fishing season and I have a bunch of angry captains, including your husband by the way, marching into my office demanding that we start putting together plans to widen the roads between the docks, the processing plants, and the Sealand docks below Ballyhoo to accommodate the growing traffic volume. So, if FEMA and the state of Alaska want us to talk about food stocks and evacuations, they can take a number and wait in like just like everyone else,” stated Johannsen.

“Alright, alright, I get the picture. I’ll read it over and write out some suggestions for you. Just promise me that you’re going to go home soon?” Edwards asked.

“I’ll head home in a half an hour, I just need to get through this last paperwork,” said Johannsen.

Edwards stood up from the chair and nodded.

“Okay, well I’m going to take this paperwork and head back home, the kids should be getting back from hockey practice soon and I still have to throw something in the oven, otherwise I’ll have a hungry goal keeper and left wing asking what’s for dinner,” Edwards said with a small laugh.

“Alright Rebecca, I’ll see you tomorrow morning,” said Johannsen.

“Go home and eat Don!” Edwards exclaimed as she walked out the door, closing it behind her.

Johannsen shook his head as he read over another pile of paperwork. It was going to be a long four months until crab season was over with and the town would return to normal, he thought to himself.

Chapter Two- I'm a Cowboy...

Chapter 2- I’m a Cowboy…
Wheel House
M/V Northern Eagle
300 Miles North-East of Dutch Harbor, Alaska
Bering Sea
4:00 PM, December 31, 1983

Marine spray blew over the nose of the M/V Northern Eagle as Captain Mike Stone continued on his north-western route towards the snow crab fishing grounds north of the Pribilof Islands. Weather had been fair for most of the four day journey out of Dutch Harbor, a few light snow flurries had covered the deck of the Northern Eagle with a white frosting but nothing that the winds and sea spray of the Bering Sea would not erase in a few hours’ time. As usual, Captain Stone was hunkered down in the wheel house, subsisting for the most part off cups of lukewarm coffee, store-bought chocolate chip cookies, and packs of Marlboro cigarettes. The five day haul to the snow crab grounds was a long journey for the crew of the Northern Eagle, and they would have to be fast back to port if they wanted their harvest to survive the trip and make profit for the captain and his crew. Captain Stone had been fishing these grounds for almost a decade, cutting his teeth in the early 1970’s under the wrinkled and tired faces of the old captains who had been in Dutch Harbor since the late 1940’s.

For the captain and most of his crew, fishing was a family tradition handed down over generations. Captain Stone’s father and grandfather before him had been fishermen; his grandfather working Puget Sound and the Washington coast, his father had come to Alaska during the years before statehood and had cashed in on the early booms in crab and salmon. The rest of the crew had similar family stories, some of them going back over a hundred years in some cases to distant relatives who had worked in Maine, New Brunswick, and the other old fishing ports of the Eastern Seaboard. But, out here on the boats of the Alaskan crab fleet, ancestry and heritage mattered little. What mattered was whether or not you could toss the hook and nail the buoy line, whether you were good on the rail during pot launches, and whether you could keep your lunch down in the middle of the notorious Bering Sea storms that would batter ships and men for days.

Out here, politics mattered little. Most of the captains had run-ins near the maritime border with Soviet fishing trawlers and their crew. A few times, they had rushed to help a Soviet ship in distress and the Soviet sailors always repaid the debt when American ships found themselves facing electrical fires or a broken propeller shaft. No one much cared what flag was flying off the tail end of a crab boat or a factory trawler. For the men who worked the Bering Sea grounds, their only enemy were the relentless waves and harsh weather that made working the waters between Alaska and Russia as close to hell, in some ways, as you would care to get. Crews on both sides of the border experienced losses, friends swept overboard in freak waves, killed by loose crab pots on deck, boats that rolled over and sunk with all hands, on either side of the imaginary line the men who lived and worked on the Bering had stories of friends lost and boats gone. It was a brotherhood of the sea, a brotherhood of loss. Memorials in Petropavlovsk and Seattle honored the dead, their names etched in granite, permanent reminders of their passage. So, when their respective countries found themselves in the midst of international crises, the only thing that mattered to the crews out here was whether or not they would get back into port on time and with all hands. If they needed to send a radio signal to a Soviet trawler to fix a broken shaft or help to put out an electrical fire if the Coast Guard could not get to them in time, then they did what was necessary. The sea would not wait for the proper national authorities to respond.

And so, on New Year’s Eve 1983 Captain Stone sat in the wheelhouse piloting his boat towards what he hoped would be a lucrative trip for he and the crew, listening to Alaska Public Radio on shortwave.

“In national news, the AP is reporting that US aircraft engaged Cuban fighters off the coast of Florida this morning after what the Pentagon is calling ‘A deliberate breach of U.S. airspace bordering on pre-emption.’ Early reports indicate that a flight of Cuban fighters were escorting a Soviet TU-95 bomber when F-16’s dispatched from Naval Air Station Key West attempted to escort them back to international airspace. The Cuban aircraft responded by firing on the F-16’s. Two Cuban fighter jets were shot down and the Soviet bomber was damaged in the dogfight. No response to the incident has come from authorities in Havana or Moscow. We turn now to NPR’s foreign policy analyst…”

Captain Stone reached over and turned off the radio. He was never very interested in international news, and the reports coming out of East Germany and now out of Florida only ever managed to make him worried. He had friends growing up who had gone to Vietnam and come back in body bags, so he was well aware of the costs of conflict. He was always convinced that if he could get Andropov and Reagan onto the tail end of a crab boat in the middle of a Bering squall, they would see that there were more important things than international dick waving contests. They would see that the petty conflicts between men and nations didn’t matter when you were facing down fifteen foot rogue waves and sixty mile-per-hour gusts. The only way to survive out here was to cooperate. Nature was harsh enough without leaving room for the prejudices of humanity.

He reached into a small drawer and pulled out a cassette he had bought in Seatac before getting on the flight up here and put it into the tape deck, gingerly pressing down the button marked ‘Play.’ The old cassette player had seen better days and this was likely to be its final journey before he unceremoniously tossed it into the trash heap back on shore and replaced it with a new one from the Unalaska Ship-And-Shore outfitting store. It hadn’t worked right since one of the deckhands, a greenhorn, decided to toss an empty bottle of whiskey at it after he was told by the captain that he would not be coming back out on the next trip a few years before. But, Captain Stone was always cheap and refused to replace anything on his boat until it was permanently broken. The tape-deck came to life and began singing out the opening licks to a new song he had heard on the radio before coming up to fish.

“It’s all the same, only the names will change
Everyday, it seems we’re wasting away
Another place where the faces are so cold
I’d drive all night just to get back home”

“I’m a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride
I’m wanted dead or alive
Wanted dead or alive”
[1]

He nodded his head to the base as he continued piloting the ship through what seemed to be an endless expanse of the Bering Sea. Wind continued to pile the waves up, four and five feet high. In the distance, just beyond the setting sun, he could see the telltale signs of a storm brewing on the horizon. Dark gray clouds that seemed to emerge from the ocean itself rose up, obscuring everything beyond. He knew from experience that it would be a nasty storm. Thankfully the crew had secured the deck, but it was likely to be yet another bone rattling storm, probably one that would drive a few of the greenhorns on this trip to empty their stomachs into the toilet. He put on a determined face and continued to drive the Northern Eagle towards her destination. The ship had never let him down before, and he’d be damned if he would let a storm bank keep them from their paydays.

[1] Jon Bon Jovi, "Wanted Dead or Alive" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRvCvsRp5ho&feature=kp
(I know I'm ripping off the intro to the "Deadliest Catch," but its a fitting song for some of these guys out on the fishing grounds. I also know that it's a few years after the events in question, but like Agentdark, I listened to this while writing this update, so it fits with the overall feel of the piece.)

Last edited:
So is there just not a lot of interest in this perspective in the P&S universe? I've gotten quite a few views, but not a lot of comments.

Don't feel alone....not getting a lot of action on The Island either....

I do like what I've seen so far, the folks up there are going to have logistical problems big time....

Folks in Louisiana and Mississippi will have it a lot easier in a lot of ways as long as they're not in the primary target areas (Shreveport, Alexandria, Mississippi Gulf Coast)

Don't feel alone....not getting a lot of action on The Island either....

I do like what I've seen so far, the folks up there are going to have logistical problems big time....

Folks in Louisiana and Mississippi will have it a lot easier in a lot of ways as long as they're not in the primary target areas (Shreveport, Alexandria, Mississippi Gulf Coast)

They're going to have not only logistical problems, but there is also the looming question of whether or not the state government at Juneau survived the nuclear exchange. As no one has really dealt with that problem, I think that is going to be left up to me as I continue the story. If there is no state government left and the governor and most of his cabinet and the state Senate and House are gone, then it's going to be up to the surviving cities on the coast to cobble together some form of state or territorial government to start dealing with the various problems facing the state. The state senate and house reps for the Aleutians would be back in town for city council meetings in January and February even with the looming war with the Soviets.

We know that Anchorage and Fairbanks, along with Adak and Shemya Islands have been totally devastated during the exchange, Anchorage and Fairbanks probably received at least six or seven warheads between the two of them, and a similar number for Shemya and Adak. If the Soviet pilots decided to drop their bombs on a viable political target and make the run back to Siberia rather than risk pushing onto the lower 48, then the most logical target for them would be to drop their payloads on Juneau and decapitate the state government. One or two lower yield bombs in the 100-200 kiloton range should remove any trace of Juneau from the map.

If that's indeed the case, then the largest surviving population centers in Alaska post-exchange will be on Kodiak Island and at Nome and perhaps Barrow up on the north slope oil fields, that is if the Soviets didn't decide to take out the oil fields and the Alaska pipeline. If Prudhoe Bay survived, then there is the possibility of re-establishing the oil infrastructure in a few decades. There's also Bethel on the Yukon delta inland and south-east of Nome.

My plan is to gradually widen the scope of the story from just Dutch Harbor, to including more and more of the state after the exchange, with Dutch serving as the center of the narrative. It makes it easier for me to centralize the story and the story-lines for the exchange. I am debating whether or not I want to include a side-story about some of the controllers at Shemya or perhaps a family at Adak before the exchange, but that might be too grimdark as both of those areas are totally wiped out in the exchange, and I'm not sure whether or not I want to get people invested in those characters and then wipe them out in the space of a few sentences.

Preliminary Target List for Alaska, February 21, 1984

So just to get this out of the way now so I can get back to writing and getting the fine people of Dutch Harbor over the line into the post-exchange, here's my preliminary target list for Alaska, including primary and secondary targets for the Soviet Union:

PRIMARY TARGET LIST

1) ELMENDORF AIR FORCE BASE, ANCHORAGE: Large military base, center for Alaskan Air Command and Alaskan Air Defense. F-4 Phantoms and F-15 Eagles deployed for forward air defense and combat operations against Soviet air incursions.

2) FORT RICHARDSON, ANCHORAGE: Center for US Army operations in Alaska and the Arctic, headquarters for the United States Army Alaska Department and Alaskan Command (ALCOM).

3) FORT WAINWRIGHT, FAIRBANKS: Home of the 171st Infantry Brigade, heavy and light infantry stationed.

4) EARECKSON AIR STATION/SHEMYA AIR FORCE BASE, SHEMYA ISLAND, ALEUTIANS: Location of COBRA DANE Early Warning Radar System, base for USAF C-135B SAC Cobra Ball missile tracking aircraft. Refueling base for SAC B-52 Stratofortress bombers on Arctic Chrome Dome deployment.

5) CLEAR AIR FORCE STATION, DENALI BOROUGH: USAF/ALASKA AIR NATIONAL GUARD ICBM Early Warning Phased Radar Array.

SECONDARY TARGET LIST:

1) NAVAL AIR FACILITY ADAK, ADAK ISLAND, ALEUTIANS: Location of USN P-3 Orion maritime patrol/anti-submarine aircraft. At least 6,000 USN personnel located there, extended landing strip that could be used to house USN or USAF fighter aircraft for early response to Soviet air incursions into Alaskan air space.

2) ANCHORAGE, ALASKA: Economic heart of the state, location of most of the important state agencies, including transportation, communications, etc. Due to proximity to Fort Richardson and Elmendorf Air Force Base, Northeast Anchorage will receive large scale damage from the nuclear weapon(s) used against Elmendorf and Richardson in addition to fallout from Richardson and Elmendorf detonations. Anchorage International Airport possible target of convenience for nuclear or conventional weapons.

3) FAIRBANKS, ALASKA: Largest inland city in Alaska, located adjacent to Fort Wainwright, not directly targeted but will receive direct damage and fallout from the nuclear weapons targeted at Wainwright.

4) JUNEAU, ALASKA: Capitol of the state of Alaska, location of Governor’s mansion, State House and Senate, headquarters for United States Naval Forces Alaska, headquarters for United States Coast Guard Operations in Alaska territorial waters. Target of convenience/opportunity for Soviet intercontinental bombers.

Chapter 3- Hell Breaks Loose
Conference Hall
Town Hall Building
Unalaska, Alaska
7:00PM, February 1, 1984

The meeting hall, usually a place of calm discussion and a few hostile comments, echoed with the sounds of hysterical yelling and heated arguments between those present. City Manager Don Johannsen was desperately trying to hear the words of several city councilmembers while his audience ignored the repeated calls from the new mayor and others to quiet down. The old mayor, Christine Shirley, had stepped down that morning following the announcement from the governor’s office to begin preparing civil defense stations for possible hostilities. Everyone knew that Mayor Shirley couldn’t hack it; she had gotten elected by making big promises to the fishing fleet captains and the plant managers and had never followed through. For three years she dragged her feet on everything, which had not been her fault entirely. No one on the city council wanted to deal with the multitude of problems, Johannsen included, but this went beyond her or anyone else on that council’s pay grade. “I wish I were back in my office reading road construction surveys tonight,” Johannsen quietly thought to himself. The ruckus continued on for a few moments before the new mayor, thirty-four year old Robert Kelty, banged his gavel once again.

CAN WE PLEASE HAVE ORDER? EVERYONE SIT DOWN AND LISTEN UP!” Robert screamed into the microphone while slamming his wooden gavel down hard enough to cause a crack in the varnished wood handle.

The audience seemed to listen to him as the yelling began to subside and disgruntled mutters were emitted from around the hall as the residents of Dutch Harbor began to take their seats. The hall was packed to capacity and then some. Normally it could only hold around two hundred people at most and it had never been totally filled to capacity in the five years since its construction. Tonight was a different story as some five hundred people had managed to pack themselves into the hall and the entranceway to the city hall building. The doors were wide open so those in the entranceway could listen in on the discussion. His first act as mayor was to post signs at city hall telling all in attendance that anyone not in the conference hall would be allowed to talk after the town council meeting and those in the actual hall itself. The parking lot outside was a nightmare, every parking spot had been filled since five o’clock that afternoon and the trucks, jeeps, and other assorted motor vehicles of those in attendance were parked on both sides of the street for two blocks in either direction, snarling traffic through the center of the town and turning a narrow two-lane gravel road into a one-lane parking lot. There were still people trying to get through the doors who had left their cars on the side of the road up the hill from the Unalaska city center in the middle of a driving February snowstorm and had hiked their way down the hill.

“Now, that’s better, isn’t it?” Mayor Kelty said into the microphone.

“If we are all through having a collective aneurism, can we listen to the other members of the city council and the city manager, please?” Kelty announced.

There was a reason that Robert, or ‘Bob’ Kelty had been chosen from the city council members to serve as mayor. Most people knew Bob and his family and he was a trusted face around town. The city council vote had been unanimous after Mayor Shirley posted her resignation letter outside the city council offices that morning, Bob Kelty would serve as interim mayor until new elections could be held in the fall, when they were scheduled to occur anyways. Many of the council members doubted that if the crisis continued they could hold those elections, and so they decided to select Bob, knowing that his youth and overall position in the community meant that he could be trusted to see the town through this newest crisis.

Many of the native Aleuts in attendance were the sons and daughters of those villagers who had been relocated during the war, “For their own protection,” according to the official statement at the time from the US Army. They carried with them the memories of their parents’ struggles in the relocation camps and their battle with the state and federal government after Alaska statehood to regain control over their traditional lands that had been declared ‘vacant’ by the then territorial government in Juneau and the federal government in Washington, DC. There were even those that night in attendance who had themselves been evacuated to the camps in Southeastern Alaska. None of them who experienced that collective trauma were going to stand by again and let a distant, and seemingly uncaring federal government in Washington, or a group of bureaucrats at the statehouse tell them once again to head for the port and prepare to be evacuated to the mainland. There were those who had privately voiced the opinion that, should that order come once again, they would resist with any means at their disposal. If that meant violence, then violence is what they would use.

“As we were saying before that collective outburst, we have received word from the statehouse and the governor’s offices that evacuations have been considered as an option to safeguard the lives of us on the island, but nothing certain has been decided,” said once council member.

“Yeah, and who the hell wants to enforce that little order, eh? You and the rest of the city council going to get the police, sheriff, and the state police to go door to door and force us out of our homes? This shit happened before back in ’42 and none of us here tonight is going to stand by and let it happen again,” said one man in the front row who sat next to his wife and aged Aleut parents.

“Come on John, this is nothing like the evacuation order that the army gave out back in 1942. There are no soldiers coming here to build a base and take your homes over. We are looking at a possible global thermonuclear war if it escalates much further. If that happens there is no way for us to guarantee the town’s supply of diesel and bunker fuel to keep the generators running, and no one here wants to face an Aleutian winter without electricity or heat,” the city council member replied, his voice stressing the words ‘winter,’ ‘electricity’ and ‘heat.’

“I’d rather face down an Aleutian squall and ten foot snowdrifts than sit on some cramped evacuation ship. If the Russians want to try to come back here and take our homes then we’ll show those commie bastards who runs this town. They came once before in the seventeen hundreds and look what happened then! Over a hundred years of Russian colonial officers telling the Aleuts what to do, where to hunt seal, how much of their yearly catch to hand over to the administration government in Sitka. If we leave now and they show up, we’ll never get this town back again!” John replied in a hostile tone of voice. Many of the other Aleuts in the audience were nodding their heads in agreement. Memories ran deep for the native peoples of the Aleutian Islands, and over a hundred years of Russian colonization had left deep scars on them. Some had distant relatives living in the Pribilof Islands to the far north in the Bering Sea whose ancestors had been forced from neighboring islands and sent to the Pribilof’s to hunt seals for the colonial government to send back to Moscow for profit. They were as adamant a group of cold warriors as any anti-communist back in the Lower 48, perhaps even more so. Paul Nitze and Senator Joseph McCarthy’s distrust of the Russians was ideological, shallow even by comparison.

“John please, this isn’t helping,” Mayor Kelty replied.

“Alright then, what do you expect us to do? Pack our bags?” Another woman in the audience yelled out.

“Listen, even if any evacuation order came down the pipeline from Juneau, the odds are that it could never be enforced. The Coast Guard is up to its eyeballs in orders from the Navy anyways,” replied Kelty.

“What about getting on a plane and heading for Anchorage? I heard that something was going on with the flights, what’s the story? I was turned away from the airport when I tried to get in to book a ticket through to Fairbanks.” One man yelled from the back of the room who was wearing fishing gear.

“We got the order this afternoon from Anchorage that the FAA has ordered all civilian air travel in the state, including flights into and out of Dutch Harbor airport, suspended indefinitely until further notice. Because of the shoot-down of that Dutch KLM flight in Bulgaria a few days ago, no one in Washington wants to risk the Soviet Air Force going after civilian airliners, especially out here where rescue is virtually impossible. If there’s an air incursion and one of those Reeve’s Aleutian Electra’s are caught in the middle of it, everyone on that flight is collectively screwed,” replied Kelty.
A loud roar once again emerged from the crowd. The sound was almost deafening for Kelty and the rest of the city council sitting at the front of the hall. Kelty again picked up his gavel and slammed it down, this time finally breaking the gavel off at the handle.

WOULD YOU LISTEN TO ME FOR ONE MINUTE? We had to do this, there was no other choice. If we kept flights going out of the airport in violation of FAA orders then we would be dealing with bigger problems than you all yelling at us about how you can’t book a ticket. This is no picnic for everyone down at the airport either, we’ve got almost a dozen flights sitting on the runway that were either inbound for Dutch, outbound for Anchorage, and a bunch of other flights heading further out on the chain or up to the Pribilof Islands. That includes two 737’s, one Electra, and a bunch of the smaller planes. We’re scrambling to get those planes under cover before this storm gets worse, and they are grounded for the time being. If you want to feel sorry for someone, feel sorry for the poor ground crews who are working through the night to secure those aircraft,” Kelty responded.

“This is all the fault of the Soviets anyways. Where is that clown from the Soviet Interior Ministry, or whatever the hell that commie works for, the one who’s here with the guys from the Interior Department working on that impact study? I say we find that red bastard and make him tell his friends in Vladivostok to let us get onto our damned planes and get out of here!” Said another fisherman standing in the back of the room, a violent sneer painted on his weathered face.

“You are not going to go find that guy, you all hear me? If one of you does anything, and I mean anything to hurt that poor bastard, I swear I’ll drag you and your buddies personally outside and beat you within an inch of your lives, you understand me?”

Cries of “Bring it on,” and “Who’s side are you on anyways” echoed throughout the hall. Bob had heard enough.

Kelty stood up and looked directly at the crowd.

“We are better than this kind of behavior in this town. We all came here looking for better lives, a fresh start, a second chance even, and now you want to go find some minor Soviet official who’s here doing an environmental study, beat him half to death, and make him pick up a radio and order a bunch of Soviet Air Force pilots to just let you get onto a plane and fly back home? This isn’t the Old West people; we aren’t a vigilante mob out looking for justice. Slamming that guy up against a wall and breaking his ribs won’t change the fact that we are stuck. There isn’t anything that any of us can do to change that, and putting that man into a hospital won’t change it either. Now if any of you decide to do this anyways, I’ll make sure that you are sitting in a concrete jail cell within an hour, and I’ll tell the police not to feed you anything except water and bread.”

“This is nobody’s fault except the jackasses in Washington and Moscow. Come on people, most of us here have family and friends who are serving in Europe right now. I’ve got a brother stationed on the Fulda Gap, ex-Mayor Shirley’s son is in Italy. All of us are scared, worried, frightened, but now is not the time to give into the desire for revenge. Our community is better than this kind of behavior.”

“Now, if we are all done screaming, can I please get back to the work at hand? Thank you.” Kelty said.

The crowd seemed to calm down and let him continue. A few disgruntled murmurs continued to be emitted now and again, but for the moment Kelty had gotten control of the situation.

“Like I said, the FAA has grounded all domestic air travel in the state for the time being. If someone gets hurt badly enough, we can possibly fly a medevac out here to get the injured person to Anchorage, but if this keeps going I think we’re going to have to count on ourselves for the time being. That being said, there is a reason that all of the plant managers and captains are here tonight as well. I’ve got another order, this one from the Fish and Wildlife Service offices in Anchorage: Any ships that aren’t currently heading back to port need to be radioed immediately and ordered to return. That means crab boats, trawlers, factory boats, everything. The Navy has declared an exclusion zone in the Bering Sea for all non-military vessels, and as Fish and Wildlife overseas our fishing operations they were the ones to pass on the order. That also means that we are not going to be able to send any of the foreign freighters out of harbor for the time being as well. This is going to bite into the profits of the companies and boats operating up here, but orders are orders. The Coast Guard will be enforcing this rule, so none of you need to get the dumb idea to head out there and try to fish while this crisis continues. If you are caught out there, they’ll board your ship, interrogate you, and if you’re lucky escort you back into port. If you aren’t lucky…well you’ll be looking at the inside of a brig in Cold Bay for a few months,” Kelty explained.

That garnered another round of angry yelling and boo’s from the crowd. One man yelled out from the doorway, “How the hell am I supposed to pay the mortgage on my boat if I can’t even get out there to fish?”

“I understand your anger at this request, but we have to remember that this is a national crisis! All of us here on this council pays our bills with money from our day jobs in the fishing industry. We know that this is a hard request, but we have to do it. This is a national emergency and we all have to make sacrifices. I am sure that, once the crisis has been resolved, we can all get back out there and start making money again. This is just as hard for those foreign crews as well. We’ve got people on those ships from South Korea, Japan, China, Taiwan, the Philippines, and Canada, and they all want to get home and see their families just as much as the rest of us. We have deck crews and plant employees from all over the world, men and women who want to get on a flight and get home too, but we are all stuck here together. Until this thing is over with, we are just going to have to make do.”

“Now, we’ve got a fuel ship coming in for the February refueling in two days, thankfully that ship was already underway when the exclusion order was issued and I was able to talk the Coast Guard into letting them continue into port because of our need for the fuel to keep the generators running. The food shipments and mail from the mainland will be coming in tomorrow morning on the barge from Seattle. Those ships will remain in port once they arrive until they get the order from the Coast Guard that it is safe to leave harbor and head back home. So, I want all of you here to tell the captains that they need to be careful coming into port. We’re going to be pretty crowded for the next few weeks.”

“I’m sure that this crisis will resolve itself if we let it run its course. No one wants to think about the possibility of an all-out nuclear war between us and the Soviet Union, and I’m sure that President Reagan will do everything in his power to avoid it. None of us here wants to think about the other possibility. Until we receive further instructions, that is all we have to say. Now, do we have questions?”

Kelty regretted saying that last sentence, because as the words left his mouth, the entire hall stood up, raised their hands, and started shouting at him once again. “This is going to be a long night,” he thought to himself as he called on the first person and began the long process of answering questions.

Last edited: