"What Madness Is This?" - A Timeline

OMG the NUSA is getting worse and will be a shadow of itself but that leaves the UN and the Russkies

well Nixon is by far more sane the the average pro-oswald (and many iof the NUSA) but that gives a problem the more sane the more dangerous rto the world they are

1974 would witness the final collapse of the American empire.​
FUCK YES!
On January 5th, the United Nations declared Liberia to be a "humanitarian crisis zone."UN forces moved in a daring invasion and deposed the American government there.
Good.
ORRA personnel, facing war crimes charges for genocide of native Liberians and of Italian colonists in West Africa during the 1950s, fled for South Africa, where Paul Hubertus van Aller, still President for life, welcomed them with open arms.... South Africa had American nuclear missile bases still in operation on its soil, and the ORRA troops from Liberia were able to keep them running as a permanent threat to the hemisphere. Van Aller later attained control of the nuclear missiles and made South Africa a nuclear power closely aligned with ORRA holdouts and organizations worldwide.
Oh, dear.

Back in the Americas, yet another faction was about rise from the ashes of NUSA. In Shicagwa, the "anti-Rome," Reverend-Colonel Billy Graham had announced that he and the Council of Jehovah secret society were initiating a coup against the pro-Nixon government currently in power in the region.
Crap.
"The End of Days has come! God is now weeding out who will stand for His Word and Kingdom, and who will side with the Great Apostate and the Forces of Darkness! Prepare for the reaping that is to come. The End of the World is at hand! Get down on your knees, America, and beg for deliverance from hellfire and damnation!"
Double crap.
The crazed minister met with Oswald II in Texas on March 5th, and they signed a treaty bringing Texas into the "New Jerusalem." Graham heralded Oswald II as the "Great Warrior who shall lead us during Armageddon."
Crap on a crap sandwich with a generous side order of crap. I've been keeping track of how long it'll be 'til Earth is a smouldering ash heap. Last update had me optimistic--maybe the planet would make it to 2100 without further incident. Now, maybe 2050, or 2030.

By this point, all logic and sanity vanished on the American continent.
You make it sound like there was any to begin with. :)
Pro-Oswald forces readied themselves for the final, cataclysmic war against the "Great Apostate," and many in Europe and Russia expected the two sides to nuke each other. Graham and Oswald announced the "Final Crusade" on August 1st, 1974, and the next day, both sides began hitting each other with everything they had.
Nuclear's too good for the NUSA--it's been far too long since we had a good smiting, methinks...
On December 12th, Nixon's forces finally began to get an edge on Oswald's army,
Thank God.
and on December 23rd, the National Guard entered Shicagwa in force and arrested any members of the New Jerusalem government they could find.
Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, free at last!
Oswald II, of course, was long gone and back to Texas, and Graham and the Council of Jehovah had fled to the Dakotas to continue their "holy struggle" against the Nixon government. Nixon proclaimed victory and total supremacy.The war was dragging on, however, and Californian troops were completely their conquering of Oregon, unrest was growing in Canada, the Southrons were winning territory hand-over-fist, and local wing-nuts and terrorists across the country were making life hell for everyone.
Wait, the Californians were completely what their conquering of Oregon? It's good to see Columbia making gains and the NUSA finally breaking apart. And if I were Oswald II, I'd steer clear of Dallas... ;)

Nixon's problems were far from over, however. In fact, they were just beginning. General Jurgen Ailes was ready to take power for himself, and begin a bloody new chapter in the American Civil War...
Good grief. That's, what, three NUSA governments, now? Neither of which recognizes the others as legitimate? We're screwed.
How much further downhill will we go? Will North America be inhabitable by 2000? Good update--just, holy damn.

When this happens to a country, we end up looking at it with horror.
In this case, the NUSA epic implosion is a cause for widespread cheering and awesomeness. Yet, still contains plenty of horror, considering that, regardless of how brutal has been the NUSA, they still have their heads so far up their own arses that they gleefully continue with their own self delusions, their hipocrisy and their assholism, even in the face of imminent defeat. Now I somewhat pity them fools, but yet I still want them dead.
This doesn't need cazadores any more to make it look worse.
It's like horror trying to dig itself deeper, but this time around, the Horror discards the shovel and goes for using an oil drill to dig deeper.

Yet, still contains plenty of horror, considering that, regardless of how brutal has been the NUSA, they still have their heads so far up their own arses that they gleefully continue with their own self delusions, their hipocrisy and their assholism, even in the face of imminent defeat. Now I somewhat pity them fools, but yet I still want them dead.

To be fair, they crossed the moral event horizon some time ago...a few hundred megatonnes might teach 'em a lesson. Til then they've rather excluded themselves from the human race.

This doesn't need cazadores any more to make it look worse.

I must respectfully disagree with you there, sir...cazadores make everything worse :p:D

I want to thank you all for your comments! Sorry I haven't responded to all of them, but I've been hit with one sickness after another lately and still have a job, but now I'm back. :) I picked some of my favorite comments to answer below. After this, I'm back to promptly answering all comments as usual. :D

It does the heart good to see the Pear Flag.

I couldn't help but drag it up from a year ago or whenever that was proposed. :D It's just unique and fun.

I wonder does this would have an equivalent of Star Trek...
"These are the voyages of the Starship Titania. It's continuing mission: To seek out new worlds....And claim them for the Fascist Proletariat Of Humanity!"

"Captain Kirk! Our medical computers have detected Irish blood in you!"

"NOOO! PUT ME DOWN, SPOCK. SET PHASER TO KILL. END IT."

"But, sir!" *Spock tears*

"DO IT! I'M A MONSTER! I ALREADY FEEL THE URGE TO BOW TO THE POPE!"

*phaser blast*

:p

Im confused. I though NUSA forced the people of Mexico out and they fled to South America. Or did I miss something? :confused:

Excellent question, Alias! There are still a few left, as revealed in the chapter "American Tamerlane." Mexicans and blacks are used for forced labor in blocked-off camps and factories, while the streets and towns are full (or were) with WASPs.

Can we see a map with the borders of the new states, and NUSA factions?

YES! :D Already have most of it done.

Wonder what Europe's been up to in the last several decades. :confused:

In the next chapters, will get big updates on what's going on in the Old Country. Expect lots of royal family updates.

Jurgen Ailes is the good one, right? Let's hope that he wins, for all of our (TTL counterparts') sake.

Yes, General Ailes is a decent guy, but still a fascist. No one believes in OTL republicanism or democracy ITTL because by this point, they are beyond saving and don't exist. Monarchy, Strongman, or Council of Strongmen for everyone.

Wait, the Californians were completely what their conquering of Oregon? It's good to see Columbia making gains and the NUSA finally breaking apart. And if I were Oswald II, I'd steer clear of Dallas... ;)

Good grief. That's, what, three NUSA governments, now? Neither of which recognizes the others as legitimate? We're screwed.
How much further downhill will we go? Will North America be inhabitable by 2000? Good update--just, holy damn.

Completing their conquering of Oregon, is what I meant to say. :p I need to fix that.

It's like horror trying to dig itself deeper, but this time around, the Horror discards the shovel and goes for using an oil drill to dig deeper.

That is epic. I want it as a tagline for when HBO makes the miniseries. :p:D

DOWNFALL: 1975
attachment.php

Jurgen Ailes salutes his followers in Philadelphia

As Oswald licked his wounds in Texas and Nixon was hunting down Graham and the Council in the west, Jurgen Ailes was about to take matters into his own hands. With the economy in flames and the country so torn and bloody that it was unrecognizable compared to the way it had been just a few years before, Ailes decided that the leaders in currently in charge were "naked profiteers, here to make quick bucks off the backs of the true patriots." On February 26th, 1975, Ailes gathered those few officers he trusted and a handful of troops and then initiated a coup. Nixon was shocked and felt "immensely betrayed." Ailes men proved very devoted to their cause and the coup began sweeping across the Army and the Navy. Thousands of troops and hundreds of landships stormed Philadelphia in a quick, almost bloodless overthrow of the Nixon government. Nixon, who was in Boston at the time, rallied his National Guard forces and attempted to launch a counter-attack, which ended in a bloody failure miles away from Philadelphia.

Ailes immediately launched a huge propaganda campaign, hailing himself as the "People's Potentate." Massive posters were draped from the Presidential Palace and pinned onto the sides of buildings showing him looking knowingly, with a smile, toward the viewer, with the caption, "Uncle Jurgen Looks Out For YOU!", a tagline many have said was ripped from the Great War-era English poster, "Uncle Winston is watching YOU!" Ailes took to the airwaves in a series of speeches to win over the people.

"Our leaders have lied to us! They have deceived us! They have taken our great Nation, Faith, and Fate and sold it to Big Business! We have documentation proving irrefutably that Phoenix Oil Company and its billionaire CEO funded Nixon's coup against Oswald as part of a secret corporate war against Goodyear Enterprises. These documents come from Nixon's own audio recordings from his office. Many of these were burned when we, the Army of the People's Liberation, took Philadelphia. But we managed to trap this pointy-nosed bastard with his own bad habit of obsessively documenting his phone calls. These tapes will be played for the public later this evening. These tapes prove, undeniably, that since Joe Steele, God Rest His Soul, died, our foreign policy has been determined not by our God or President's wisdom, but by the whims of money-hungry corporate CEOs! This is not what our Founder, God Praise Custer's name, intended! Business and free enterprise has always been a part of the American system, and business helped save us when the First Colonel was around. But this is not business to help America or bring glory to her name! This is a petty squabble between powerhouse companies over who will sell us the most products or get the biggest government kickbacks. This is NOT the American way! And by golly, we're not going to let these bloodsucking Jews in the financial industry manipulate us anymore! ALL HAIL!"

img01.jpg

Political cartoon about the infamous Nixon Tapes

Nixon was quick to cut the greater New England region off from Ailes's bloc. He also immediately went after talkieboxes and televisors, with virtually no explanation given as they were confiscated by the tens of thousands as National Guardmen went house to house ripping them out. New England locked itself down and put its forces on high alert. The "Army of the People's Liberation" brought "the first true patriotic pride in fighting a war" out of the American people. As they assaulted Jewish families and stormed Jewish businesses across their area of influence, they "knew they were on God's side for sure" for the first time since the Great War. Ailes' popularity was huge, and many viewed him as the "strongest champion of liberty and the common man since Joe Steele."

Pro-Ailes forces forces ousted a lunatic attempted dictator named John W. Miles from power in Korea, which still held American nuclear bombs. Ailes knew he would not be able to hold such a far-away territory, and ordered the evacuation of high-ranking officials and the return of all nuclear bombs (which were still under Nixon's Nuclear Suitcase's control, technically, though everyone knew no one would answer Nixon's call to detonate if not in his territory. Ailes began stockpiling the nukes in his territory and launched an effort to gradually take out the launch computers and replace them with a suitcase under his control. Korea collapsed into civil war once again following the evacuation and became a flashpoint of tensions between Russia and China, who both claimed the region. This would be the source of major problems later on.

Occasional firefights still broke out at the borders, but a sense of permanence began to come over the American continent's new boundary lines. In the last large territorial changes for a good while, Texas, now referring to itself as the "Lone Republic," seized southern Mexico, but was confronted by a United Nations intervention. Italian and Prussian forces quickly routed the exhausted ORRA army out of the region and established a United Nations mandate. The old NUSA state of Hawaii and the Greater American-Pacific Co-Prosperity Sphere (which had both thankfully had their nuclear weapons removed during the Civil War) also were stormed by the "Blue Helmets" and turned into mandates. Finally, the old economic boomtown of Central America, along with its precious canal, were occupied. With such a high population of workers from the north and almost all traces of the former Hispanic and Native majorities wiped out by the Americans, there were very few people ready to proclaim loyalty to "Central America" or any of its regions as sovereign states, making international intervention crucial. For the first time in over twenty years, international trade was once again free to go through the Canal.

An attempt at turning the British Isles into a mandate was stopped by the people's radical hatred of Europe. Following the collapse of American rule and Romney's evacuation to North America, the British actually kept the fascist, largely AFC-governed government in charge, fearing the return of the anarchy which had plagued them before. Clifford William Saddler, a radical Englishman and former acolyte of Reverend-Colonel Graham, took power with the backing and good graces of the stranded remains of the American military. He united all the former American holdings into a British Republic. The British Republic was short lived, as i merged (under British leadership) into the Republic of Atlantica, the fragile mid-Atlantic American satellite. This new, much more powerful Republic of Atlantica had lots of resources and a large population, and a continual hatred of Irish people.

Meanwhile, East and West Lewisiana, a confused mess being fought over by dozens of factions and militias, was finally brought to heel by Southron forces, who helped set up the Commonwealth of Lousiana, headed by a ten-man "Supreme Diet" and following a constitution based on Virginia's. UN peacekeepers helped keep the new nation stable as ethnic wars and uprisings plagued its birth. In every nation coming under Southron or European influence or control, the old Republican Union and NUSA symbols and phrases became outlawed. Across the South, the display of an American flag became a major crime. Giving someone the Manifest Destiny Salute was punishable by flogging.

hungary.jpg

A statue of Joe Steele lies in ruins on a New Orleans street

hungary-56-budapest-demonstration.jpg

Louisianan revolutionaries carry the national flag at an independence celebration/riot

56091640.jpg

An American soldier refusing to admit to the collapse of fascist rule in Louisiana is flogged in public

As 1975 drew to a close, the old NUSA was well and truly gone. In its place were over a dozen new countries or mandates. The countries where some denomination of the Manifest Destiny Party still held power (Oswald's Texas, Ailes' 'Third Republic', and Nixon's Former American Republic of New England) were looked upon as nuclear powers, but the world's power balance had been majorly shifted to Europe and Russia, and Russia was not very happy about the United Nations' power grabs in former American administrative regions, especially in the Pacific...

Last edited:
Okay, MAP TIME! :D This probably won't come as a surprise, so I'll just tell y'all that the Columbian nations (and Gran Colombia) will unite very soon (July 4th, 1976) and establish the Confederation of Columbia. :D That's why they're just gray on the map.

So, to recap:

Third Republic of America - Jurgen Ailes
Former American Republic of New England (FARNE) - Richard Nixon
Lone Republic of Texas - Charles Oswald II

WMIT 1975.png

Last edited:
...Down, down with the traitor that tries to defile
The flag of the stars, and the page of her story!...

Sorry, but I can't help posting this bit of The Star-Spangled Banner! Its so fitting and so ironic at the same time!:D:D

Anyway, so to get the map straight, the yellowish green is Ailes's Third Republic, the USA blue is Nixon's FARNE and the Brown is Oswald's Lone Republic, yes?

But enough of that! I await the Europe updates!

Well it's finally come to this. They have ran out of minorities. I suggest they move on to people with slight color blindness now, because green versus red flags or something. Otherwise there are only left handed people to go after. Probably should make a thread about possible Nazi victims when they run out of Eastern Europeans. Back on topic now, I propose that the Limbo and Conga to be made national dances in North America. Guess why?

Peru would be happy to lend instructors and make bases in Center America to help defend the new country it would also be happy to help the rebuilding of Gran Colombia and Brazil-Argentina

Leabi gmy role-playing as peruvian president behind I say it is good that the NUSA is getting is ass kicked but now it is russia that might be the greter danger for the world OR that somehow China gets Nukes what happens first

What just happened ?! :eek:

This is starting to look great ! :D :cool: It's a pity that there was a Jewish pogrom, though. :(

A statue of Joe Steele lies in ruins on a New Orleans street

Given the context of this setting, that's an awesome repurposing of an OTL photo ! :D

Flag of the Second Kingdom of California

Thank you, thank you, thank you for reusing that old flag I made for California ! I am honestly flattered ! :D :cool:

Last edited:
QUestions

It looks like all sides have reached a point of exhaustion on the military front. If I were the Russians I would be setting up a intelligence network in all the new countries.

Question: How will the commercial world handle the breakup of the NUSA? Will the European and Russian companies move in to buy resources and equipment at fire sale prices? Will they export or dump products to cripple American companies?

EDIT: Woops, missed RedState's comment - I fixed February 29th. :p And I have considered the Cossacks' plight. It might have subconsciously influenced TTL's American Jews. Excellent idea.

...Down, down with the traitor that tries to defile
The flag of the stars, and the page of her story!...

Sorry, but I can't help posting this bit of The Star-Spangled Banner! Its so fitting and so ironic at the same time!:D:D

Anyway, so to get the map straight, the yellowish green is Ailes's Third Republic, the USA blue is Nixon's FARNE and the Brown is Oswald's Lone Republic, yes?

That does fit. :D

Yep, you are correct about the map colors.

Is Korea English-speaking or Korean?

Korea largely speaks English by this point, with very few even allowed to speak or write Korean.

Did the South annex Colombia and Venezuela?

Like I said above the map, the South is going to form the Confederation of Columbia in 1976. They'll probably take the very Southron-oriented Colombia with it. The Central American regions might also want in. This could cause tensions between Columbia and Europe.

This is starting to look great ! :D :cool: It's a pity that there was a Jewish pogrom, though. :(

Given the context of this setting, that's an awesome repurposing of an OTL photo ! :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you for reusing that old flag I made for California ! I am honestly flattered ! :D :cool:

Thanks, Petike! :D

I couldn't just let those awesome prototype flags you made go to waste. :cool:

It looks like all sides have reached a point of exhaustion on the military front. If I were the Russians I would be setting up a intelligence network in all the new countries.

Question: How will the commercial world handle the breakup of the NUSA? Will the European and Russian companies move in to buy resources and equipment at fire sale prices? Will they export or dump products to cripple American companies?

Definitely; with so many out of work, many Americans would probably begrudgingly work as agents for Moscow in exchange for good pay. Belief in Manifest Destiny is starting to wear thin by this point, too.

Since it was cut off from the world, the world economy will likely continue as usual, now with a major boost from the Panama Canal opening up again. They've had a bit of a recession, but no where close to the depression hell America's been in thanks to Phoenix Oil's sabotage.

Tprynn

Banned
You never helped in the slightest, Russia! You have no right to complain.
And alas, even as america burns, the Irish still can't catch a break :p
Itching to see the flags of all the new nations too

Napo, do you mind if I do a small write-up for Starship Titania and post it here?

Itching to see the flags of all the new nations too

Napo, do you mind if I do a small write-up for Starship Titania and post it here?

Oh, I've got lots of ideas for the new nations' flags. This is gonna be fun stuff.

And haha, sure! Be my guest. I'd love to see what you could come up with.