"What Madness Is This?" - A Timeline

I knew you guys would get excited. :D Here's the slightly longer, improved chapter, with a new photoshop image of the protesters waving the "end the madness" banner.

THE CRASH OF '71
Riots.jpg

"The economic collapse of 1971 showcased the house of cards the American economy had become. Government over-spending was driving up inflation. In 1949, a loaf of bread had cost 15 cents. In 1970, it cost $1.25. In 1971, it cost $50.00. The alarming jump in cost occurred almost overnight on June 25th, 1971. It is not known specifically why it happened, but at 3:45 pm, Goodyear stocks began to fall. By 4:15, it was a downhill nightmare. Somehow, word had gotten out that the entire Goodyear family had died in a plane crash outside of Oshkosh. This had not happened, but it was too late to turn back. Foreign investors started dumping Goodyear stock. The government was scrambling to take state control of Goodyear Enterprises. By late that evening, the Goodyear family made publicly known that they were alive and well. The damage had been done. As Goodyear Enterprises burned, the Phoenix Oil Company, Colonel Goodyear Enterprises worst enemy, was rising."
-History of the Great Depression by Marcus Jones, 2012, Watson Publishing

The entire Stock Market Crash was in fact corporate espionage. The Phoenix Oil Company had been in existence since the 1890s, originally founded by whaling magnate Horatio P. Jennings II. In the 1900s, it shifted its focus to crude oil and lamp oil. Upon the auto boom, it changed its name from "Jennings Oil" to "Phoenix Oil Company," named after the mythical Arabian bird that burned with the fire of a thousand suns, and always reincarnated itself, meaning that Jennings' company would adapt to the times. By 1971, it was under the control of Horatio P. Jennings IV, a dapper and dastardly robber-baron who was determined once and for all to level the playing field he and Goodyear Enterprises were on. Secretly, he orchestrated the rumor of the Goodyears' deaths, and reaped the benefits while Goodyear stocks were falling like a ton of bricks. A mere second-rate corporation had brought the largest and most successful corporation in the history of mankind to its knees in one afternoon.

Rioting broke out nation-wide. The Columbian states, already still suffering huge unrest and with an active ethnic cleansing against the blacks still underway, were the first to revolt. People who had nothing realized they had nothing to lose. Even some soldiers realized they suddenly were completely penniless. Oswald, already in horrible health, suffered a shock at the turn of events and Nixon was forced to try to keep the situation under control. In Birmingham, Southron nationalists waved old battle-flags in the streets and held up signs with such slogans as, "Liberty or Death," "Down with Capitalism," and "Mad As Hell." For their personal standard, the rioters and strikers took up a modified version of the old Gadsden Flag. The authorities themselves were still in a state of shock and before anyone could tell what was happening, the ORRA headquarters in Birmingham were being stormed by rioters. Members of the 12th ORRA Mechanized were dragged out of the fortress and beaten in the streets. Though they put up heavy resistance, the ORRA troopers found themselves stunned by both the news and the ferocity of the oncoming rebels.

attachment.php

Anarchists, Southron nationalists, and anti-government marchers protest the bloodthirstiness of Philadelphia

BgWSfCRCUAAMzd1.jpg%2Blarge.jpg

The same streets, two hours later

ORRA landships found themselves suddenly confronted with young Birminghamers throwing butter, oil, and silk rugs on the streets to clog up the treads. As the tanks bogged down, rioters would rush the steel behemoths, pry open the latch, and brutally maul the drivers. Simple soldiers and National Guardsmen were usually just roughed up or scared off, but ORRA troopers were killed in droves. "Bombingham" became the epicenter for the unfolding revolt. In the rebuilt Atlanta, thousands of rebels rushed a major armory, overwhelming the shocked defenders and capturing thousands of military-grade weapons...

Meanwhile, back in Philadelphia, Nixon was still acting as temporary leader. The 19 year-old Charles Oswald, Jr., the heir to the Presidency, was not 21 and thus not allowed to take power yet. "Chuck II" was not liked by anyone in the government and was regarded as "the biggest spoiled brat in the world." Nixon knew this was his chance. With Oswald hospitalized and in critical condition, Nixon began acting as leader. He made trips all over the North, appearing before his throngs of supporters and trying to keep the nation's morale from imploding.

gty_richard_nixon_dm_121115_wmain.jpg

Acting President Nixon appears before supporters at the Coliseum in Shicagwa in September, 1971

The American economy was collapsing and the Columbian states were openly revolting, and Nixon knew he had to do something quick, especially before Oswald recovered and returned to power. Nixon turned to his old friend, Horatio P. Jennings IV, for help...

Last edited:
@RedState: Thanks! :D

OIL, REVOLT, AND TREASON
~ THE NIGHTMARE OF '72 ~
the-battle-of-lewisham.jpg

The
Colonel Goodyear Enterprises Workplace Security Force horsemen go into battle against the supporters of the Anarchist terrorist group the "People's Fist" in Shicagwa

anti-vietnam-war-protestors-calling-everett.jpg

Soldiers blindfold and arrest and blindfold a homeless man protesting in front of the Presidential Palace

Oswald was becoming more and more unpopular and the people's religious belief in him as an almost divine figure began to wane. The triumphs of the government for in his administration were coming back to bite them. Even when the Goodyears managed to scrape together their company back into one piece, the damage had been done and the fragility of the dollar became known. With practically zero trade occurring with the outside world except with their handful of satellite nations, the economy went into total tailspin. Millions lost their jobs. And in the place of the failing Goodyear industries, the Phoenix Oil Company rose up. Nixon was a personal friend of Horatio P. Jennings IV, and it was to him that the acting president turned to save the economy.

lesage2-g.jpg

Horatio P. Jennings IV

Phoenix Oil Company poured billions upon billions of dollars into the economy, giving Americans much-needed jobs, beginning around late December, 1971. Millions of formerly middle-and-lower class Americans that were living in hellish poverty suddenly saw Nixon and the Phoenix Oil Company as saviors.
12496376274_ac5feb4abd.jpg

But Columbia was quickly becoming a war zone. Birmingham had turned into a battlefield the likes of which had not been since the Great War. The weapons captured in Atlanta had been distributed over the South and were being used to ambush American soldiers and ORRA troopers and take their weapons, fueling an endless cycle. Blacks facing ethnic cleansing begrudgingly joined forces with white Southrons. On January 2nd, 1972, government troops were forced to withdraw from Birmingham. Over 40,000 government forces had been killed or badly wounded since the uprising had begun, and General Adelbert Richardson was blamed for the disaster by Nixon and sacked. The disgraced Great War veteran was found dead in his home from a self-inflicted gunshot to the head on October 24th, 1972. On January 4th, 1972, rebel leaders convened in the ruins of the Birmingham Capitol Building to proclaim the Free State of Birmingham, a fairly apolitical but very anti-American establishment led by the "Grand Council."

George Washington VIII, dictator of the Columbian governments in exile, had died in 1969. His son George Washington IX, 51 years old in 1972, had taken power. A radical nationalist, Washington IX wanted to do everything possible to reclaim Columbia and secretly drew up plans for a "Confederacy of Columbia." Crack Columbian special forces secretly deployed to aid the Free State of Birmingham and also assisted and supplied rebels in Georgia's Florida region.

Oswald returned to power on March 23rd, 1972, and was furious with the way Nixon had handled affairs. Upon his return, beatniks and anti-government protests sprang up in some Northern cities and in California. In California, former monarchist Great War veterans stormed the capitol building in "Franciston," formerly known as
St. François, and declared the Second Kingdom of California. American control of the region buckled as thousands of Californians rose up and started slaughtering government forces. Desperate farmers and out-of-work factory hands joined the monarchists and soldiers and mobs of the lower classes carrying whatever weapons they could get rose up against the Yankee occupation. Cars and buildings burned and the American military found itself faced with a general uprising on the West Coast.

Anarchist terrorists weren't about to be left out of the fun. On March 20th, 1972, a car bomb detonated in front of the Patriot-Saint A. A. Lincoln Museum in Shicagwa, blowing off the front of the building and killing 50 people. Anarchists released a film reel that was dropped in a mailbox at the Philadelphia ORRA office that claimed responsibility for the museum bombing. A week later, Shicagwa ORRA Commander Ekhert Green was kidnapped and brutally beheaded with a meat cleaver in the back of a slum butcher shop. The same group of Anarchists, calling themselves the People's Fist, encouraged all anti-government militants to rise up in Shicagwa. Making the ghastly ninety days of the Shicagwa Riots of 1855 pale in comparison after only a week, hundreds were dying as extremists convened to raise hell in "America's second capital."
The Colonel Goodyear Enterprises Workplace Security Force tried to contain what was initially an outbreak of violence at a tire factory but it had soon spun out of control. The Front for Inferior Liberation (F.I.L.) also made its presence known when they put snipers on top of buildings throughout the city.

Ap_munich905_t.jpg

Infamous photo of an F.I.L. sniper during the Shicagwa Uprising of 1972

artworks-000007198322-wkycet-crop.jpg

CGEWSF troopers photographed during a gunfight with F.I.L. snipers on the rooftop of a hotel

Oswald was so terrified of an actual anarchist revolution occurring that he ordered new Shicagwa ORRA Commander Hadrian Mitt Romney and National Guard Commander King to do absolutely anything necessary to "end this treason." On July 1st, 1972, 100,000 National Guardsmen were sent in to quell the uprising. Collateral damage was massive as jets swept the skies and dropped bombs on several buildings. Among the National Guardsmen participating was the 24 year-old Sergeant Albert Gore II. His acts of "heroism" during the conflict earned him a promotion, a chest full of medals and a comfortable job as a living piece of propaganda, going on speaking tours to rally the hardline fascists. He became a personally-selected staff officer of Richard Nixon and would later play a key role in history.

9581130728_e424a4cacd_n.jpg

Captain Albert Gore II

By August, total military rule had to be enforced and no one was safe. Thousands had died, and the nation was on the verge of civil war. Back in California, the government had still not crushed the monarchist revolt. In Columbia, steam was building in Georgia to declare independence. Everything was falling apart, including Charles Oswald's mind. He was about to snap, once and for all.

OIL, REVOLT, AND TREASON
~ THE NIGHTMARE OF '72 ~

You have my undivided attention :D

By August, total military rule had to be enforced and no one was safe. Thousands had died, and the nation was on the verge of civil war. Back in California, the government had still not crushed the monarchist revolt. In Columbia, steam was building in Georgia to declare independence. Everything was falling apart, including Charles Oswald's mind. He was about to snap, once and for all.

Oh my yes. :cool:

Welp, I finally managed to catch up with this whole timeline after losing track out of it, and the whole thing is something that came out of my worst nightmares. The only thing it lacks is a zombie apocalypse and Cazadores (from F:NV) to make this even worse.

Everything was falling apart, including Charles Oswald's mind. He was about to snap, once and for all.

Why do I feel that the American continent is going to turn into Post-Apocalyptia?

Well, the Imps and Ruskies must be crapping in their trousers and preparing the nukes... But the last part?

Oh fuck! :eek:

@VaultBoy: Welcome back, man! You're just in time to watch the fireworks. :D:eek:

@Pieman: I think you found this TL's theme song. :D

THE BEGINNING OF THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR
kent+state+guard+fire.jpg

National Guardsmen in battle against ORRA forces

October 29th, 1972
Presidential Palace, Philadelphia...

"Mr. President," said General Romulus Leer, "We are in serious jeopardy of watching the Columbian snakes declare independence. California is lost, and the redskins are harassing our supply lines that are keeping what little forces we still have there supplied. South America is a ticking time-bomb, only kept in check by our ruthless reprisals and police brutality. How long do we have before the Brazilians rise up? How long do we have?"

General Jurgen Ailes, the celebrated Great War commander, nervously toyed with a pen on the war-room table. "General Leer is correct. We are facing the threat of collapse. We are losing. We have fought all these wars and battles for this? We overspent, overextended, and underthought what we have been doing. We rushed to conquer all of our enemies and fulfill our Manifest Destiny and we won in the short term. Now we are stuck. Our choices are either let these regions go, a disgrace not known since the Collapse of the Old Republic 172 years ago, or use nothing but pure, unapologetic brutality from here to Judgement Day to keep them in check, and that last option won't even work for certain. We have Richmond in flames right now. We have people protesting at the gates of the Presidential Palace here. Sure, we might be arresting them, but they have the guts to do it in the first place! No one would have even thought about protesting in front of the Palace when Joe Steele was-"

"-SHUT UP WITH STEELE, YOU IMBECILE!" shrieked President Oswald, now drastically underweight and barely able to flail his arms madly in his wheelchair. "If I even hear you mention Joseph Custer Steele one more time, Ailes, I will f****** tear off your head and stick my old dress sabre down your ******* spinal column until you have a blade coming out your ass, you worthless defeatist piece of vomit!" The whole room suddenly went quiet. Even the computer technicians and typewriters stopped as the President went into another one of his fits. Oswald clutched his Fire-Breather brand cigarette with his withered, gloved hand. He seemed to regain his composure, but what he said next was one of the most gruesome, horrific suggestions ever to be said be a leader: "I have the solution to this entire predicament. The solution to all our problems. We will never again have to fear another uprising. Ever. We will bring this planet under our banner because of it, and hold it forever. My plan, gentlemen and ladies, is to drop a nuclear bomb on Franciston, California. And one on Fairwind, Argentina. And on Birmingham, Georgia. And on every single city that continues to oppose us."

The mouths of the dozens of officers present dropped open in shock. Many of them accepted genocide. Many of them helped to round up Inferiors and to massacre tens of thousands of blacks. But even they were taken aback at the thought of nuking their own cities, many with large portions of loyalists. Newly-appointed Custer Youth Brigade Headmaster-Marshal William Blythe looked positively stunned. Ailes, who had never really personally participated in genocide, was the one who finally broke the silence and said, "Mr. President... Your Excellency, with all due respect, I cannot support that plan. It would bring about far too much destruction. What good is it to save the Union if it means to kill everyone in it?"

Oswald, strangely, did not fly off the handle. Instead, he merely grinned. A weak, sickening grin. "Well, Jurgen, you may be disappointed to know that I have already ordered this. I have given the codes. I have given the pilots and our missile silo crews their instructions. In approximately one hour, Birmingham, Georgia, and everyone in it, will perish in an airburst blast caused by a Crawford V 50 megaton plane-launched atomic bomb. The mushroom cloud will be approximately 35 miles high. We will toast Johnny Reb like a marshmallow at a church camp cook-off. Following that, a silo-launched 20 megaton bomb is to hit Franciston. Then, we will tell all those who have risen up across this great nation to stand down or we will turn them into so many millions of salt-shakers. In approximately 48 minutes, Operation Samson begins, right when my pal Tom Bomb explodes with the fire of a thousand suns over Birmingham!"

The war-room flew into a frenzy. All matters of respect and ceremony were broken by the flow of curses and exclamations of horror by the general staff. "You know what's going to happen?!" shrieked Ailes. "This damn lunatic is going to blow up this planet!"

Oswald was whisked away by his bodyguards and to the Presidential Bunker.

Ten minutes later...
Cartwright Aeroforce Base, Boston, Massachusetts...

Nixon was filling out some paperwork before boarding a flight to a Canadian vacation when one of his staff, Captain Albert Gore II, rushed to him and told him Philadelphia was calling him. "Code Black, Comrade Nixon! We have gone to Code Black! Philadelphia needs you on the line immediately, sir!"

Nixon choked on his coffee before springing out of his chair. "Good merciful Neptune! Code Black?! Why in the Hell are we in Code Black?! Get me to the phone!" Nixon was led to the nearby command station down the hall and he picked up the bright red phone that was waiting for him. "This is Nixon. What in the name of all that is holy is going on here?!"

Ailes was on the other end. "Oswald, that... that demonic lunatic has finally snapped! He's going to nuke our own cities! We have about a half hour before Birmingham is turned into a crater, and then he's going to nuke Franciston and Lord only knows what after that!"

Once Nixon wrapped his mind around the mind-blowing insanity occurring, he responded, "Where is that spawn of Satan?"

"He's retired to the Presidential Bunker. And he has the Suitcase."

"Good heavens, man. I'm on my way! I should be there in twenty minutes on my jet."

"Richard Nixon, you are our only hope. Get here immediately!"

Nixon hung up the phone and was immediately screaming for his staff to get the plane going.

Gore asked, "Comrade Nixon, what are we going to do?"

Nixon put a handgun beneath his suit jacket as they boarded the plane. "We're going to have what the Frenchies would call a 'coup.' If all goes well, we'll be alive tomorrow. Worst case scenario means we all end up like crayons on a dashboard. Now get me to Philadelphia!"

Twenty-two minutes later...
Aaron Burr Aeroport, Philadelphia...

Nixon looked at his watch. Approximately 16 minutes were left before Birmingham was turned into ash. As he raced to the Presidential Palace, he thought about everything that could be done to try to stop the bomb from dropping. But nothing could be done. In accordance with typical regulations, the crew of the nuclear bomber had shut off all communications with the world except those with the President. And the bomber would have dozens of smaller planes flying with it to prevent simply ordering other planes or aeroships to shoot it down. And even if they did shoot it down, it would still detonate upon impact, wiping out who knows what. No, the only possible outcome was for it to wipe out Birmingham, but to try and prevent Oswald from hitting any other targets. That meant stripping him of power and taking away the Nuclear Suitcase currently in his possession.

In ten minutes, Nixon was at the Presidential Palace, with the bunker located directly below. Heavily armed and armored ORRA officers were standing at the gates of the Palace. Nixon's lifelong friend Leslie King, Jr., commander of the National Guard, had been alerted to the situation at the same time as Nixon, and (already in Philadelphia) he had had time to bring National Guardsmen to the Palace. Now, for the first time ever, ORRA troops and the National Guard stood on opposite sides, facing each other down. When Nixon and his officer advanced toward the gate, a young ORRA officer, Willem Jackson Parker, goosestepped out to greet them and gave them the fascist salute. "Greetings, Comrade Nixon! All hail! I am sorry, but orders from the President forbid any non-ORRA personnel from entering Palace grounds. I must ask you to leave."

"Stand down, Captain Parker. The President has been removed from power. All of his orders are null and void."

Parker grew more rigid and drew his pistol, "Sorry, Comrade Nixon, I can't let you do that." Shaking nervously, he made sure the pistol was loaded.

"Look, you little brat, I'm going through those gates. If that means I have to smear your guts and your pretty brown uniform all over the pavement, by the Prophet, I'll do it. Stand down!"

Parker, pale as a sheet, raised the pistol to Nixon's head and squeaked, "Sorry, sir. Please leave immediately."

Nixon grew red-faced and then did an about face. He and his officers withdrew to behind a convoy of National Guard trucks. Gore nervously asked, "What now, sir?! We have probably four minutes before the nuke drops!"

Nixon took out his pistol from under his jacket. "I'm getting too old for this. We attack. I want every last ORRA sum'itch dead in one minute." Nixon took a position behind a sandbag wall and then shouted, "Men of the New United States National Guard! In the name of our God, Prophet, and Fatherland, OPEN FIRE!"

"OPEN FIRE!" bellowed King to his men on further down the line.

What followed was a vicious eruption of bullets and blood. Thousands of rounds were spent in seconds as the American Civil War began. Elsewhere, hundreds of miles to the south-west, a 50 megaton atomic explosion wiped out the Free State of Birmingham completely and utterly, and scrubbed the very trace of it off the face of the earth.

Seconds later...
Presidential Bunker...

Oswald, via his national televisor system within the Bunker, took to the airwaves:

JFK%20on%20TV.jpg

"People of the New United States. This is your President speaking. Approximately three minutes ago, the heathen rebels among us were dealt a savage, but necessary blow. The city of Birmingham, Georgia, was destroyed by a nuclear bomb. Our nuclear Peacemaker Program is doing exactly what it has done since its inception; making and keeping the peace. There is no more rebellion or war in Birmingham tonight. My government and I are prepared to do this to every city that openly rebels against our God-ordained authority. Millions may die, but nuclear fires are the wages of sin. If the leadership of the so-called Second Kingdom of California does not surrender itself to ORRA forces within the next ten hours, the city of Franciston shall be bathed in the glow of a 20 megaton atomic warhead. This is an ultimatum not just to California, but to anarchists, monarchists, and Beutelists everywhere. If a city openly revolts against the state, that city shall be annihilated. For just as God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah with the fires of His wrath, so too shall I destroy all who try to undermine our liberty, freedom, and our sacred honor. People of the United States, this is your warning. Remain peaceful, and no harm shall come to anyone. But act out and I shall not hesitate to wipe you off the face of the planet. Choose carefully. Good night from the Presidential Bunker. All hail!"

Minutes later...
Above-ground...

National Guard trucks smashed down the iron gates of the Presidential Palace. The bodies of Parker's men and of Parker himself littered the area in front of the gate. All of the ORRA troopers had fought to the death. Now, as the National Guard advanced up the driveway, more ORRA men were prepared to lay down their lives in the name of the President. For the next half-hour, both sides sustained massive casualties as Nixon's men tried to fight their way to the Palace doors. At last, though, the final zealots had been killed or incapacitated and the Palace was stormed. As Nixon, King, and the rest of the rebels marched in and proceeded to the entrance of the Presidential Bunker, located in the basement, the welding crews were brought in to take out the ridiculously huge door. Now, only about 100 feet were separating Richard Nixon from putting a bullet in Oswald's skull.

Last edited:

Avskygod0

Banned
Sheeeit. I expect USA exploding and everyone wanting to take a slice of the shit pie, or what's left of it after 100% of the world's nukes are dropped on the country

Damn, you actually had me rooting that Alt. Nixon of all people would kill Chuckie Oswald!

Anyway, I suppose that the Europeans would support a possible military faction, say, under the control of General Jurgen since the way you describe him, it sounds like he's (somewhat) a good man.

Sheeeit. I expect USA exploding and everyone wanting to take a slice of the shit pie, or what's left of it after 100% of the world's nukes are dropped on the country

NO! There are still the *American nuke silos. You want World War II[1] to start? The better solution is that the Imperials and Russians get a non-psychopathic man on the helm of whatever country that arises from this Civil War.

[1] Since Napo's timeline only has one global war, its reasonable that World War Two is the equivalent of World War Three to us.

Thought I'd stop by.

Been watching this TL for a while, and I've been thinking, "God damn. Chuckie Oswald and his goons make even Jake Featherston and the Freedom Guard look like the effin' Boy Scouts!".....And I believe every word of that; this guy is a raving *lunatic* of a monster. :( (I had to admit it was pretty cool that you used JFK as a physical template for him, though. Historical irony for the win. :) )

BTW, I thought I'd enter in the details for the "Crawford V" mega-bomb in Nukemap 3D and this is what I got: Assuming roughly OTL's population in that area, this bomb would have killed at least ~600,000 people outright. I was wondering how much higher this might actually be ITTL, given that Tupelo, a Miss. town of 35,000 IOTL, was noted as being a major city with about 700,000 people, or 20 times it's real-world population. BTW, Napo, can you tell us just how big Birmingham was before the city was leveled?

I...I...well, then.

So I'm rooting for Nixon - and Junior Fascist Flavour of the Month Al Gore - to hunt down Oswald in the middle of the outbreak of a civil war. Birmingham's been hit with a Tsar Bomba, Oswald-Boy's got the nuclear suitcase and a head full of Colombian marching powder, and every man with a gun's about to become the Sovereign Republic of Himself.

I'm keeping my telescreen tuned :D:cool: