"What Madness Is This?" - A Timeline

I got a new computer, guys! :D One reason I'd lag off on updates sometimes was because of the 2007 Acer laptop I was using before. It was like trying to drive a 1930s Studebaker at the Daytona 500. :p There should be some new chapters coming post haste.

No problem, I have a 2011 myself and it feels a little slow at times too so don't feel bad :).

I remember writing a few chapters of AKII on my family's micro 2011 computer; it was hilarious. The font was totally screwed up and none of the pictures were working right. It was like trying to surf the web on a toaster. :p The computer I just replaced literally had sparks flying out the back. :eek:

So, anyway, guys and gals, I'll be writing about Africa and the World Congress of Paris once Zoid is done making the maps. In the meantime, I'll actually leave what the next chapter is about up to you guys. What would you like to see covered?

I myself have a 2011 Toshiba Satellite I got in May of 2011 (kinda oblivious) and it works just fine, and really isn't that slow at all. So I guess I really don't know what you guy's are going through. Sorry. :p

Anyways, the 1801 map should be done soon Napo. :)

American religious fascists a century earlier... this doesn't sound any good at all. And I can guess they'll try to do some kind of "crusade" against all "papists rogues", which will involve butchering a lot of people (or maybe... even Mexicans if they get the chance...)

My catholic self is cowering in fear.

I remember writing a few chapters of AKII on my family's micro 2011 computer; it was hilarious. The font was totally screwed up and none of the pictures were working right. It was like trying to surf the web on a toaster. :p The computer I just replaced literally had sparks flying out the back. :eek:
Wow, did the power supply was that bad?

New chapter today/tomorrow, guys! (depending on your timezone)

I myself have a 2011 Toshiba Satellite I got in May of 2011 (kinda oblivious) and it works just fine, and really isn't that slow at all. So I guess I really don't know what you guy's are going through. Sorry. :p

Anyways, the 1801 map should be done soon Napo. :)

Lucky! :p

Good to hear! I can't wait! :D

American religious fascists a century earlier... this doesn't sound any good at all. And I can guess they'll try to do some kind of "crusade" against all "papists rogues", which will involve butchering a lot of people (or maybe... even Mexicans if they get the chance...)

My catholic self is cowering in fear.

Wow, did the power supply was that bad?

And the other Catholic countries hate the Mexicans so much they probably wouldn't even care. :eek:

Yep; I had to start wrapping everything in electric tape to try to get it to stop sparking and fritzing. Even then it looked like it was going to burn down the house.

Last edited:
Zoid's been a little busy and hasn't had time to finish the maps, so I'm delaying the Paris Congress parts for this. :cool: "Patriot-Saint Lincoln." Yes. I'm serious. :D The Fundamentalists are becoming some sort of twisted Protestant version of Roman Catholics. :eek: This is yet another chapter proving anything is possible in such a mad world. Again though, don't think for a minute the politicians actually believe in Burr's cult; it's just simply the best propaganda tool the Union could ever have, and they use it to keep people in line.

THE COMPANY MEN
COLONEL GOODYEAR ENTERPRISES' PRIVATE ARMY AND THE GROWTH OF THE GOVERNMENTAL-INDUSTRIAL POLICE STATE UNDER COMMANDER A.A. LINCOLN
pinkerton_eye.gif

Colonel Goodyear Enterprises Workplace Security Force (CGEWSF) logo, circa 1880

As discussed in other chapters, Colonel Goodyear had hired private mercenaries going all the way back to the time his "malcontent employees" first protested against his policies, way back in the 1830s. In 1845, the Colonel Goodyear Enterprises Workplace Security Force (or "CGEWSF" as it was later called) had been formed to clean up the thugs' image. All of the security and patrol officers employed by Goodyear's dozens of companies began sporting copper badges branded with the new name, along with crisp black-blue uniforms, batons, and firearms.

In the Colonel Goodyear Industrial Park in Shicagwa, Iowai, the capital of Goodyear's economic empire, the local police department practically disbanded, and many officers joined the CGEWSF, as the private army did a much better job at enforcing the law (through brutality). The section of town for the "Workers," the abused immigrants, was under constant monitoring by CGEWSF officers, and they pioneered the use of crowd control during the Shicagwa Riots of 1855, also known as the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, which started when several Irish workers were shot to death by "Company Men" at a pub. All over town, the workers rioted, destroying countless dollars worth of property and burning down the Goodyear Tire Company to the ground. Furious, Goodyear's ever-reliable vice president Samuel Morse dispatched orders to put the dissidents down "by using any means necessary." He also said in a letter to the local CGEWSF precinct leader, 46 year-old Commander Abraham Aaron Lincoln, "These mobs are to be an example of what happens to Anarchists. Those that disrespect the institutions that feeds and clothes them, and provides a place for them to have their litters of brats, deserve no respect themselves. They disrespect the Colonel, then they disrespect God Almighty. Put them down, Commander. Show them how true Christians treat lawbreakers and strikers."

Fullscreen+capture+7142009+74939+PM.jpg

A depiction of a scene from the riots, printed in the Shicagwa Tribune

Lincoln summoned all available CGEWSF forces, came up with a battle strategy, and marched his army into the ghettos, riding proudly upon his white horse, Ann (named after his wife Ann Rutledge), and wielding a sword. For ninety days, Shicagwa's Goodyear Industrial Park was a battlefield. For ninety days, Lincoln's men fought for building after building, going from house to house and slum to slum, searching "degenerate Rebel scum." Lincoln was determined to use the warfare sandbox he was now in to perfect "crowd control." He studied the effects of fear on the rioters, and discovered that noise was key in intimidation. Midway through the riots, he had several hundred wooden shields, made in Roman scutum style, shipped in from one of Goodyear's woodworking companies. They had special metal sections on the sides which, when hit with a weapon, produced a ferocious-sounding clang.

With crude versions of the "All-Seeing Eye", the CGEWSF logo, painted on the fronts of their new armor and sporting new, much thicker pith helmets instead of kepis, the Company Men were lined up in columns at the first second a crowd of workers looked ready to turn violent. Then, knocking clubs and pistols against the sides as loud as possible, the men with shields would advance slowly, giving the crowd a chance to save themselves. The next step was firing shots in the air and shouting warnings in unison, the most common of which was, "This is an unlawful, unchristian, anarchistic assembly. Please go back to your jobs and homes or we will have to use lethal force." If all that failed, the mob was murdered and horrifically stamped out. Heads cracked as clubs descended and men, women, and children fell as the Company Men with pistols opened fire point-blank. Lincoln soon had the workers once again quivering in fear of Goodyear, and he was christened a national hero and was presented with the prestigious new Order of Patriotic Brethren Medallion. He became known as the "Man who Crushed the Rebels."

120524_5_lincoln_loc_605_605.jpg

Romanticized Statue of Commander A.A. Lincoln that was erected outside Shicagwa City Hall. The inscription on the base reads "Commander Abraham Aaron Lincoln, Hero of the Union, who Defeated the Rebels of 1855."

Two years later, Lincoln rode his glory into positions of high political power. When William J. Worth, the first Chief of the Military Police, passed away in 1866, Commander Lincoln was appointed as his successor. In his famous acceptance speech, now known as "Our Struggle," before the Consuls in Philadelphia, Lincoln's words were the perfect example of how the government and industry were slowly merging into one tyrannical behemoth. The following is an excerpt:

"Now, we are engaged in a Great Struggle: Law, Order, Industry, Freedom, and Christianity against the Rebel scum, Papists, and Anarchists who dare to have the nerve, to have the outright hubris, to try and destroy all of which we have worked for and fought for and bled for. This struggle is testing whether this nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that struggle. I want to thank the honorable consulate for this position on the forefront of it. Under my administration, America, our great Union, shall always have law, order, and liberty for all, and those who try to destroy it will always be righteously punished."

One year before, Lincoln had announced his conversion to American Fundamentalist Christianity. Thirty years after Lincoln's death, when the American Fundamentalist Christians announced they were "canonizing patriot-saints in memorial of great achievements, patriotic actions, selflessness for country, and general service to God and Union," A.A. Lincoln became Pt.-St. Lincoln.

Last edited:

Man... These Republican Union bigwigs should really hire someone with an actual talent with agency names and acronyms, otherwise its agents will soon be known with another name...

A - "Nobody moves! We're the GCSEFW!"
B - "The what?"
A - "How can you not know of the GWESFC, scum??!!"
B - "Everybody, run! They're the unpronounceables!"

:p:p:p

Man... These Republican Union bigwigs should really hire someone with an actual talent with agency names and acronyms, otherwise its agents will soon be known with another name...

A - "Nobody moves! We're the GCSEFW!"
B - "The what?"
A - "How can you not know of the GWESFC, scum??!!"
B - "Everybody, run! They're the unpronounceables!"

:p:p:p

Hey, at least they have RUMP (Military Police) and (in the future) ORRA (Office of Racial and Religious Affairs). :p I was actually going to give them a catchy acronym, but since it's the 1800s, it seems too early to be using "engineered" acronyms, that spell things or are catchy.

I decided to pull the unexpected and throw a wrench in this thing. :D

The 1838 World Congress: Tragedy in Paris
lincoln_assassination.jpg

The Assassination of Kaiser Franz Karl and his Wife (London Times 1838)

Napoleon II was extremely eager to host the Congress in his Imperial capital. He was prepared to put on the "biggest show on earth" that would "dazzle and shock the world." He would announce a more final union of France and Spain for one thing, and no longer would he be known as the Caesar of France and Emperor of Spain, but as "Caesar of the United Empire of France-Spain," in a similar vein to Franz Karl being Kaiser of Austria-Hungary. He had his fiance, Eugénie, a daughter of a minor Spanish noble, secretly moved to Paris in time to announce his wedding. He would also show off new ironclad warships, improved rifles, and much, much more. As peace seemed to be relatively stable and many nations were happy with the status quo, most of the world looked forward to the event, not knowing a sovereign monarch and his wife were about to be assassinated and forever put an end to the World Congresses.

Meinrad Beutel, an influential Hessian philosopher, was held to blame for the deaths of Franz Karl and his wife Sophia of Bavaria. In 1828, Beutel published the 239-page book The Anarchist Way, which railed against the ever more powerful empires and dictatorships and insisted that all men who desire to be free should fight against tyranny using whatever means necessary.

"There will come a time on this earth when men will cast off their oppressors. These bloated ticks in Paris, Berlin, Stockholm, St. Petersburg, and Philadelphia will eventually run out of ways to contain every citizens' deep and innate desire to have liberty, and then what will they do? They will either wipe their people out, wipe each other out, or the people will wipe them out. To achieve the last option, we must also assist in the second option. It is the Anarchist Way to pit our swindling, oppressive monarchs and leaders against one another. We must destabilize, so that we can stabilize. We must destroy, so we can create. We shall build a New World Order, an order dominated by personal liberty, freedom of choice, and minimal government."

"No government should have the ability to impress its citizens into military service, like every civilized country today does. No government should have the right to tax its citizens. No government should oppress the civil liberties of its citizens. The freedom-loving man had one chance thus far in history to create an Anarchist Utopia: the old United States. But the United States failed to solidify its freedoms under a constitution, and after good General Washington, the place fell to civil war, violence, slavery, racism, and murder. If all free men join this time, once and for all, and fight for the Anarchist Way, then we shall truly be free. The
ancien regime of the status quo must crumble. The New World Order must rise."

-
Final Page of The Anarchist Way

smithson.jpg

Meinrad Beutel

It was with these words flowing through his head that ethnic Dutchman Fons Elbert Spijker entered the Paris Congressional Palace in a crowd of some two thousand civilians during the first day it was open. The Congress had not officially begun, and only a few leaders were present so far. Spijker was a floor-sweep at the Palace had access to most all parts of the structure, so he attracted little attention. Under his coat was a small flintlock pistol and a dagger. He was going to murder Caesar Napoleon II and collapse the French Empire.

images

Only known picture of Spijker

The royal families of France-Spain, Austria-Hungary, Russia, and Ireland were attending a military band competition on the night of July 4th, 1838, in the Concert Hall of the Paris Congressional Palace. Spijker had found out who was to be situated in which seats, and was certain his plan would succeed. At 6:33 that evening, Spijker began his ascent up the stairs to Emperor Napoleon's private seats. Seconds later, a guard noticed him and began walking toward him. Panicking, Spijker lost his nerve and bashed through the entrance, took out his pistol and dagger, and... shot Kaiser Franz Karl directly in the back of the head. The whole Concert Hall began shrieking and the guards came running. Furious he had killed the wrong man, Spijker turned to the feinted Kaiserina Sophia and stabbed her through the throat. He then leaped from the balcony, raised the bloody dagger over his head, and shouted proudly, "Sic Semper Tyrannis!" A moment later, a French Imperial Guardsmen shot him in the chest, killing him instantly.

As Franz Karl's brain matter dripped onto the floor and Sophia's body sat almost beheaded, Spijker's last thought was probably of frustration for Napoleon not being in the seat instead. It just so happened that Napoleon had invited the Austro-Hungarian Imperial family to sit with him in his box. Seconds before Spijker arrived, Caesar had stepped out to bring his fiance to meet them. Napoleon reportedly suffered a minor nervous breakdown, knowing the bullet was meant for him. The Congress was cancelled. There would never be another.

The World Congress of Paris: Aftermath
attachment.php

The Hapsburg Imperial Funeral in Vienna

"Today, the United Empire of France and Spain, the United Empire of Brazil and Rio de la Plata, and all their territories, mourn the sinister murder of Kaiser Franz Karl I, of the Empire of Austria-Hungary, and of his wife, the beautiful Empress Sophia. They were both brave and true friends of our people, who desired peace and stability for all of Europe. We must not allow their dream to shatter. We must not allow the Anarchists to interrupt stability on this continent. Now orphaned, the Austro-Hungarian Imperial children will be henceforth cared for and raised by Caesar Napoleon II of the Imperial Union of Spain and France, and his future empress, Eugénie. These children, Franz Josef, age eight, Maximilian, age six, Karl Ludwig, age five, and Maria Anna, age three, will be full members of the Imperial Family and will receive all the rights and benefits thereof. Caesar Napoleon II now has an heir, Franz Josef, who, if no other, natural-born male child is produced, will ascend the throne of the Imperial Union of France and Spain under the name Caesar Francis Joseph I. The articles of Second Treaty of Vienna are hereby declared null and void and the governing of the Empire of Austria-Hungary shall, for the duration of the current instability, fall to Field Marshal Joseph Radetzky von Radetz. A Third Treaty of Vienna shall be drawn up later this year to decide matters over the eventual union between France-Spain and Austria-Hungary."

-Official Response of the Franco-Spanish Imperial government to the Franz Karl Assassination, July 5th, 1838

The young children of Franz Karl were indeed legally and officially adopted by the Franco-Spanish Imperial Family the day of their wedding, August 2nd, 1838. Caesar Napoleon II and Caesarina Eugénie were parents. No longer did the House of Bonaparte need to worry about an heir-less collapse. Adopted at such a young age, only Franz Joseph (legally Francis Joseph I, Prince of Bombay and the Heir of Hapsburg) was old enough to have nationalistic thoughts about Austria. The other children were swiftly and intensely "Frenchified." All the children learned to speak French, German, Spanish, some English, and of course Latin. Francis Joseph was reeducated into a solid United Empire supporter by the time he was ten. However, upon the birth of Napoleon III in 1839, he no longer was Prince of Bombay or first in line to the Bonaparte throne.

tumblr_m15udy3xe31rrofwlo1_500.jpg

Caesarina Eugénie of the United Empire of France and Spain

fj_barab1.jpg

Francis Joseph, age 15 (Konrad Kröger)

Maximillian.jpg

Maximilien, Count of Vienna, age 16 (Jean Belloc)

archduke-karl-ludwig-of-austria-at-the-age-of-15.jpg

Charles Louis, age 12 (Konrad Kröger)

tumblr_lytw8iFPFI1qixsklo1_500.jpg

Marie Anne, age 8 (Jean Belloc)

Directly following the wedding, Napoleon II marched to Vienna to negotiate the future of Southern Europe. His puppet, the half-senile Field Marshal Radetzky, was actually being manipulated by Napoleon I's elderly widow, Dowager Caesarina Marie Louise. In what was a surrender of sovereignty, Austria-Hungary essentially became a part of France upon Radetzky's signing of the Third Treaty of Vienna. Upon his coming to the throne, Napoleon III would become sovereign (and would almost certainly make Austria, Hungary, and their territories, mere states in a bloated United Empire in Southern Europe. Many Austrians did not like this one bit, but the few instances of actual civil unrest were put down by the Austrian army acting directly on the orders of Radetzky.

Also following the wedding was a massive hunt for Anarchists. All of Europe was on the look-out for them, and Meinrad Beutel above all. He was captured in Naples trying to get on a ship to South America. On December 3rd, 1838, the Anarchist author was arrested for treason against the Confederation of the Rhine, calling for and attempting violent overthrows of sovereign nations, sedition, slander, money-laundering, blackmail, and murder. The Rheinbund tacked on everything it could. He was hanged one month later. The Anarchists had another martyr.

Last edited:
Finally, here they are. The final "What Madness is This?" map series. :D I decided not to upload these onto my deviant-art page just yet, but If I notice any minor errors here I can easily just edit the attachment like so. But I looked these over, and there don't seem to be any errors anyway.

Heres, the first map, showing the world in 1801, the year that the United States of America collapses. Outside of America, things are pretty much the same as OTL.

WMIT 1801.png

Last edited:
Heres 1807. I choose to do this map because this is where the Napoleonic Wars become noticeably different from OTL. Until now things were mostly the same, aside from Spain still keeping Louisiana. Now with Spain Frances unquestionable ally and Britain humiliated, things really start getting interesting in Europe. So far though the only noticeable difference in Europe is France and Spain jointly occupying Portugal, an invasion possible due to their stronger ties than IOTL. Also, Britain doesn't invade Rio de la Plata.

Napo, before I post 1812, who owns the former Netherlands Antilles again?

WMIT 1807.png

Last edited:
You forgot independent Texas IIRC (unless that was later, I forget).

EDIT: I misspoke, my bad.

Also, nice updates Nappy! Looks like the World Congress is dood :(. I await the next updates eagerly!

Finally, here they are. The final "What Madness is This?" map series. :D I decided not to upload these onto my deviant-art page just yet, but If I notice any minor errors here I can easily just edit the attachment like so. But I looked these over, and there don't seem to be any errors anyway.

Heres, the first map, showing the world in 1801, the year that the United States of America collapses. Outside of America, things are pretty much the same as OTL.

Yay! :D Looks perfect.

Heres 1807. I choose to do this map because this is where the Napoleonic Wars become noticeably different from OTL. Until now things were mostly the same, aside from Spain still keeping Louisiana. Now with Spain Frances unquestionable ally and Britain humiliated, things really start getting interesting in Europe. So far though the only noticeable difference in Europe is France and Spain jointly occupying Portugal, an invasion possible due to their stronger ties than IOTL. Also, Britain doesn't invade Rio de la Plata.

Napo, before I post 1812, who owns the former Netherlands Antilles again?

Yup, dead-on. I see no mistakes. :cool:

This map: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/attachment.php?attachmentid=198858&stc=1&d=1361942344 shows Spain owning the Antilles, so it was probably an easy target and one that Spain thought they had to seize immediately to secure their borders.

Also, nice updates Nappy! Looks like the World Congress is dood :(. I await the next updates eagerly!

Thanks, Mac! You mean doomed? Yep, pretty much. Diplomacy will be much less easy, calm, and fair from now on.

Next update should be about the death of Friedrich Wilhelm III and the birth of the Prussian Empire. :D

Thanks for the compliments Napo. :D I just read the last three updates and I really enjoyed them. More on that latter.

Anyways back to the maps. Heres 1812.

WMIT 1812.png

1814, the end of TTL's Napoleonic Wars, aka the Great Wars of the Empire. This final version is mostly the same as the earlier version, except now Sicily has been fixed, plus one or two minor things. :)

WMIT 1814.png

1826, after the World Congress of Vienna. Again, mostly the same as before, except Sicily has been fixed and other minor things as well.

WMIT 1826.png

Last edited:
1831, after the fall of the Spanish Empire (Not sure if I posted this before or not).

Also, I assumed Georgia would get OTL's former Netherlands Antilles while CoCaro would get Trinidad and Tobago after Spain's fall. Does this make sense Napo?

WMIT 1831.png

Last edited:
1831, after the fall of the Spanish Empire (Not sure if I posted this before or not).

Also, I assumed Georgia would get OTL's former Netherlands Antilles while CoCaro would get Trinidad and Tobago after Spain's fall. Does this make sense Napo?

Looks great! Everything seems right, except what is the tan-outlined island cluster over New Guinea?

Is it time to start integral the last of the Habsburg houses into that of the Bonapartes or to jam as much territory onto Austria-Hungary as they can before annexing it?