Columbia rescue - save the space shuttle !

Columbia, and all the shuttles, can only be fuelled on the ground.

Besides, Columbia is orbiting at a 39 degree inclination. The ISS, at 51.6 degrees. Columbia simply can't get to the ISS at all.

More to the point, Columbia was about 8,000lb heavier than the later shuttles, which is why it was never used for ISS missions - though some modifications in its final years might have made it theoretically possible.

But either way, ISS is simply not an option. They can leave it parked in orbit for a later repair mission, or try to bring it in through automated systems. Which will probably result in its destruction.

And even if it had been possible to send up a replacement wing edge on Atlantis, I'm doubtful about how easy or safe such a repair job would be in orbit. NASA might believe it had taken enough risks as it is with both crews.

Somewhere online I found a proposal to make a Space Shuttle into a space station. I just wish I could find the link.
I suspect you mean this one. However, the issue is that all the mods it needs are ones you'd make on the ground, to fit a functional station core into a single Shuttle launch--inserting a habitat and panel arrays in place of...basically all the orbiter's systems, modifying the Shuttle's OMS pods to use monopropellants and
potentially be capable of on-orbit refueling. The Shuttle orbiter is the least useful part of the plan. Unfortunately, it's the only part on-orbit in this scenario.
Bring it down before it turns into 100 tons of space junk.

Archibald

Banned
The odyssey is coming to an end...

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Flight day 36 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]February 20, 2003[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Aboard Atlantis [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]([/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]music: [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]U2[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif],[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif] [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Beautiful day[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif])[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

At the end of an unventful reentry the orbiter glided to a perfect landing at Cape Canaveral.

640px-STS132_Atlantis_Landing1.jpg

The unfortunate crew and their saviors were acclaimed by thousands of people. The President himself was there, the NASA administrator Sean O'Keefe and all the unsung heroes of the odyssey - thousands of Cape Canaveral, Houston and Marshall workers and managers, veterans and active astronauts, celebrities by the dozens.
For some days America forget the tensions with Europe, the military buildup against Iraq, the 9/11 aftershocks. The country had eleven heroes to worship.

Columbia for its part waited in orbit that NASA decided of its ultimate fate. Time was running out however, and so did reactant in the fuel cells.

I could have sworn there was a way to change inclination with much less fuel, it just takes too long for most missions. Maybe that was for earth to moon trips? *shrug*

I could have sworn there was a way to change inclination with much less fuel, it just takes too long for most missions. Maybe that was for earth to moon trips? *shrug*

Sounds like you are talking about high altitude orbits. Such as Lunar; the higher the orbit goes, the slower the orbital speed and therefore the formula e of pi offered for inclination changes way upthread applies to the slower speed, hence less delta-V.

Which is fine, except you must first expend delta-V to go from a low Earth orbit to the high one, then do the inclination change, then brake down to the new low orbit...no free lunch!

Well, sometimes you can get one. Swinging by a third body (with Earth as the first and your craft as the second) you can accomplish many interesting things, including cheap inclination changes--heck, it's even possible to steal energy and momentum from the other object! So yeah, lunar missions and beyond offer many chances for clever tricks.

This does not apply in low Earth orbit though.

There is another set of tricks, forecast in science fiction but not as far as I know significantly exploited in fact--using interactions of the orbit and the Earth's magnetic field. One can in principle use the magnetic field as the stator of a huge electric motor, by somehow running current it is possible, so I've read, to raise or lower the orbit; I'm not sure if there is any way to leverage it so as to achieve a torque that would gradually change the inclination of the orbit.

But I never heard of anyone actually trying it. Presumably it's easier to write science fiction stories about it than accomplish it!:D

I'm afraid that, after the crew is recued, its probably best that Columbia be sent into the sea in a controlled deorbit....

The odyssey is coming to an end...

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Flight day 36 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]February 20, 2003[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Aboard Atlantis [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]([/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]music: [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]U2[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif],[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif] [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Beautiful day[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif])[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

At the end of an unventful reentry the orbiter glided to a perfect landing at Cape Canaveral.

640px-STS132_Atlantis_Landing1.jpg

The unfortunate crew and their saviors were acclaimed by thousands of people. The President himself was there, the NASA administrator Sean O'Keefe and all the unsung heroes of the odyssey - thousands of Cape Canaveral, Houston and Marshall workers and managers, veterans and active astronauts, celebrities by the dozens.
For some days America forget the tensions with Europe, the military buildup against Iraq, the 9/11 aftershocks. The country had eleven heroes to worship.

Columbia for its part waited in orbit that NASA decided of its ultimate fate. Time was running out however, and so did reactant in the fuel cells.

Play the music in the ending scene in Armageddon, where the Space Shuttle lands after destroying the asteroid. Music used in the film is appropriate for TTL.

I'm afraid that, after the crew is recued, its probably best that Columbia be sent into the sea in a controlled deorbit....

Ideally, you'd want to land it at Edwards - no real risk from a disintegration on reentry.

Unfortunately, that seems not to have been possible given the constraints NASA was operating under.

As the CAIB report noted:

Prior to the last crewmember departing Atlantis, there would be a small number of switch configurations required to allow the Mission Control Center (MCC) to command the deorbit of Columbia. The OMS and RCS systems would be pressurized for a burn, the OMS engines would be armed, and the onboard computer system would be configured to allow ground command of the necessary actions.

The MCC has the capability to autonomously command the required maneuvers. There would be no possibility of recovering Columbia however, as the ground does not have the capability to start auxiliary power units, deploy air data probes, or extend the landing gear. It is thought that the Columbia would be deorbited into the South Pacific.

But perhaps Arch has something else in mind when he suggests that "this has only one chance in a hundred" to work." Otherwise, the choice seems plain: Deorbit it now while you still have the capability to control where the pieces fall.

Archibald

Banned
HELL NOOOOOO !!! Not Armaggedon. I have a deep hatred for that movie and Michael Bay :D
The only good idea in that movie was to hire the Tyler family - father for the music, cute daughter as actress (isn't that call nepotism, btw ?)

Best Armageddon critic ever (well worth a long reading)
http://www.agonybooth.com/recaps/Armageddon_1998.aspx?Page=1

"The first 150-minute trailer... An assault on the eyes, the ears, the brain, common sense and the human desire to be entertained. No matter what they're charging to get in, it's worth more to get out."
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

"There isn't a scene in the film that exists on any level except as a hard sell. If this movie-as-trailer thing really catches on, it's the death of storytelling—not to mention grace, subtlety, coherence, character development, beauty. It's Armageddon all right."
Peter Ranier, Dallas Observer

"It looks like a TV ad, or 200 of them strung together, with the same kind of gaudy virtuosity, lavish technique and expensive self-mockery tinging every shot."
Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune [from a positive review!]

"So predictable it could have been written by a chimp who's watched too much TV, the huge movie is as dumb as it is loud, and it's way too loud. Watching it is like putting your head in a tin washbucket while weightlifters whack it with golf clubs."
Stephen Hunter, Washington Post

"How do I hate Armageddon? Let me count the ways."
Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

"An ejaculatory great time!"
Harry Knowles, Ain't It Cool News

enough said...

Archibald

Banned
Columbia outraged! Columbia broken! Columbia martyred! But Columbia has returned...

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Flight day 40[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]February 24, 2003 [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Vandenberg Air Force Base, California [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif](music: [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Keane[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif], [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Everybody's changing[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]) [/FONT][/FONT]

The OMS pods fired a last time; the orbiter flip-flopped, tail-first, then it returned to a nose first attitude before hitting the upper atmosphere at an angle of 45 degree.
shuttle-reentry.jpg

Its nose high, Columbia was committed to its last reentry...

Within the empty cockpit t
he fiery show outside shed some light on the instrument panels andempty seats.
Just like the mechanical pianos seen in old moviesColumbia controls moved without any human intervention, under ghost-like remote control. Never in history had an American orbiter be treated that way - like an ordinary soviet Buran !

The AFSRI had long been turned to dust and blown into the atmosphere. The big load of ice stuck in the wing was doing its best but the plasma was melting it fast. Columbia vibrated, growled. The orbiter suffered like hell.

Thermal-Images-of-Shuttle-Reentry-Captured-3.jpg

(not a UFO: thermal image of a reentering orbiter...)

The shuttle was bleeding speed away, banking high over the Pacific in immense S-turns... left, right, left, right... every second had the plasma closer from the wing spar; every second also had Columbia closer from her home planet. If it burned through, the orbiter would meet an immediate, ungainly death; it would burn like a comet and its debris would sink into the Pacific, joinning space station Mir into its wet, dark grave.

Brown and Anderson makeshift repair, however, busted NASA engineer wildest dreams.

It held.

High above California coastline a battered, burned, sooted Columbia for the last time turned from a spaceship into an aircraft. Under Houston control the pitot tube sprouted out of the fuselage. No-one knew however how would the undercarriage tires fare after so much time in space; prognosis was pretty bad.

Suddendly out of nowhere a bunch of T-38s thundered in California sky: a trio of the sleek jets carefully closed from the fast descending orbiter. Aboard the fleet of T-38 were NASA astronauts paying a tribute to the crippled shuttle.

With the '38s buzzing around it Columbia aligned itself with Vandenberg main runaway. There would be no second chance; it was land or bust. The orbiter flared, bleeding speed one last time; it now approached the runway in a nose high attitude at two hundred miles per hour. The main undercarriage touched first and a couple of tires immediately blew up. By some miracle they were on different legs; Columbia was now hurtling on the runway with, from left to right, one tire gone, one holding, one gone, one holding. The orbiter gradually lowered its nose until the front wheels touched - and there both tires blew. Columbia nosewheel rim scorched the runway in a fiery show of smoke and sparks.
The crowd of NASA officials, astronauts, and anonymous people hold their breath, certain they were assisting to the beginning of the end for Columbia (as imagined by a bitter Stephen Baxter in his arguably worst novel, Titan, in 1997).

As Columbia slowed down to less than a hundred mile per hour the nosewheel finally gave up and the orbiter ended on its nose. The undercarriage doors flew in the distance or were destroyed. Ceramic tiles were ripped away and smashed to bits.
But in the end Columbia massive nose provided a huge brake that stopped the orbiter faster than had it stood on its wheels. Two decades before not too far away (in Downey) Rockwell workers had build an orbiter cockpit as strong as a fortress, and in this extreme case it paid... in a different way.

It's nose smoking but the rear undercarriage still standing, poor Columbia finally come to a stop near the edge of Vandenberg runway, putting an end to the most scary landing in shuttle history - and, incidentally, to the most amazing rescue mission ever.

Fire trucks rushed to the crash site; Columbia OMS pods and RCS were retard bombs courtesy of the dirty storable propellants they used. Before the crowd could approach the wrecked orbiter that mess had to be cleaned first.

At the end of a memorable day, the battered Columbia was hauled to a hangar in Vandenberg. In a last, bitting irony the hangar had build two decades before near the SLC-6 - the Air Force rocket pad on the base where military space shuttle were to fly into polar orbit.
Mission STS-62A (6_A for the first 1986 mission out of -2 : Vandenberg launch complex, -1 being The Cape) had never happened since Challenger blew only six months before SLC-6 Initial Operating Capability. The billion dollar pad ended in mothball for a decade before enduring a costly reconversion for the Delta IV classic rocket.
Columbia stood there, in Vandenberg hangar, with an immense crowd gathering around it. The military base obviously could not allow a major invasion by the public, so a solution had to be found rapidly.

Some days later after crude repairs Columbia was hauled on the back of a 747 carrier. The massive airliner carried the crippled orbiter to Edwards AFB, more exactly to NASA Dryden center located there.

Columbia was to go through a lengthy, painstaking disasembly process. At Dryden the old orbiter somewhat ironically met its failed successors - a couple of X-34 were stored there, along with the X-33 stripped hull.

So, I assume this is more or less the end ?

Will there be a few closing chapters dealing with the investigation, etc. ?

A beautiful end!

One quibble--a case could be made for landing at Vandenberg AFB, I suppose; it wouldn't then be flying over land, as would be the case if the destination were Edwards AFB. But I would have thought that the better margin for landing a stricken craft would have dictated Edwards, even at some risk.

Vandenberg, I suppose, may have a landing field meant for Orbiter landings, since it was supposed to become a launch site for Department of Defense STS launches, to polar orbits--the rocket would boost southward instead of eastward. By that same token, I'd think the landing strip built there (if any; the plan may have been for Edwards to take the landing and for the Orbiter to be shipped the relatively short distance west--but security was a major issue for many proposed DoD missions and ideally the Orbiter would indeed be able to land exactly where it was launched from) would therefore be oriented north-south, unlike most designated Orbiter landing strips which are east-west, since most missions are more or less equatorial. (ISS is more polar than equatorial but still the final approach is likely to be from the west, not north-south). So Columbia, coming in from its low-inclination orbit, would have to turn to aim at any strip I'd expect at Vandenberg.

Yesterday afternoon I wrote the following, and then forgot to actually post it--I was very tired! I wish it had gone up before this post but I will let it stand as is because I think it's still relevant, as there are those who might say it wasn't reasonable to attempt the landing:

Ideally, you'd want to land it at Edwards - no real risk from a disintegration on reentry.

Unfortunately, that seems not to have been possible given the constraints NASA was operating under....But perhaps Arch has something else in mind when he suggests that "this has only one chance in a hundred" to work." Otherwise, the choice seems plain: Deorbit it now while you still have the capability to control where the pieces fall.

The Orbiters were never intended to be landed unmanned, true. It's a question of whether equipment could be installed, fairly simply, to perform those few operations under command from the ground--and whether it was considered worthwhile to spend any effort during the frantic preparations for saving Columbia's crew to devise the necessary kludges, test them in simulators, and simplify their installation so that Atlantis crewmembers would not be unduly bogged down doing that by the way on their way out. Considering the high probability that Columbia would not survive intact to emerge from the radio interference of ballistic reentry, it has to be very low key and low priority. It's a question of how easy would it be to fill the gaps, with the understanding that any such effort would probably be in vain.

If that's what Atlantis crew did in fact do, then there is some hope alive in NASA that, relieved of her crew and much mass, Columbia will survive the high-speed reentry phase well enough to be controllable, and even landable.

To land at Edwards she must pass over inhabited land of course, but many Orbiters have done so. It's a question of whether there's a grave chance that if she makes it as far as the California coast something might fail at the last minute and send it down uncontrollably at some random crash site. But by the time Columbia is approaching the dry lake bed she'd have gone through the worst trials and if control is problematic by then, a safe ditch into the ocean should still be an option. Even in the worse case the odds would be it would crash in very sparsely inhabited country; I'm trying to visualize it; I think an approach path straight west of the landing zone would pass over some towns right on the coast but a short distance inland becomes essentially high desert; the area around Edwards AFB is actually itself quite amazingly populated these days though.

I hope they can go for it. But the arguments in favor of simply commanding her to burn up over the ocean are strong ones too. Really the only reason to try to recover Columbia is sentiment; there might be a little scientific and engineering knowledge to be gained by studying the craft but surely the data the spacewalkers took tell them most of what they'd want to know. If the patch job can enable an emptied Columbia to survive, it surely would interesting to study how it managed to get the job done, perhaps important to future thermal protection systems and designing repair kits for future STS missions. That would be the main objective reason to try, but frankly comparable data can probably be gotten from carefully designed suborbital model launches.

Sentiment should not be discounted as a reason to try--unless any serious risk of innocent bystanders is involved of course.
---------
There, I wrote that yesterday.

Something I forgot to mention, that might also serve as a reason the landing site had to be Vandenberg, was that Rodgers Dry Lake is not always dry; at certain times, it actually does rain there, and when it does the lake becomes a pool of mud. This is why it is so flat and suitable for landings when it is dry, getting repaved every year like that.

It might be, this early in the year, that Edwards was mudded out on this date.

Kudos to you, Archibald!

I still have my reservations about the power situation; clearly they cut it close and that would have been impossible without more stringent power use cuts than you mentioned in your canon posts. Even with the Eureca solar panels, which you never verified were compatible, in voltage terms, with the power system of Columbia. To have the reserve to make this landing, after keeping the crew alive some days longer than their tanks could have lasted at the power levels you told us they were consuming, they must have cut it still further, and you should have mentioned that, and verified Columbia could indeed function at the even lower level. Only that can explain how they operated when Columbia was in Earth's shadow as it would have been a bit less than half the time.

And I stand with e of pi; the rescue supply launch should have carried more cargo.

But on the whole this is an awesome story, one that with these few tweaks is perfectly realistic too, and I thank you for it.:D

Archibald

Banned
So, I assume this is more or less the end ?

Will there be a few closing chapters dealing with the investigation, etc. ?

It was the penultimate chapter; the end tomorrow.

Columbia unmanned landing at Vandenberg come from a pair of technical reports.
Vandenberg was picked over Edwards for the excellent reasons mentionned above (flying overland, debris risk, and on)

Put together, the wing repair, Spacehab ditching, Atlantis rescue and Columbia unmanned reentry make for some truly heroic, epic story as good as Apollo 13.
That was the main motivation for writting that TL.
All four options are all technically feasible. They were examined, although not all in the CAIB report - some of them during the return to flight.
All reports are available on the internet - it was just a matter of cobbling the pieces together.

Hi Shevek,

The Orbiters were never intended to be landed unmanned, true. It's a question of whether equipment could be installed, fairly simply, to perform those few operations under command from the ground--and whether it was considered worthwhile to spend any effort during the frantic preparations for saving Columbia's crew to devise the necessary kludges, test them in simulators, and simplify their installation so that Atlantis crewmembers would not be unduly bogged down doing that by the way on their way out. Considering the high probability that Columbia would not survive intact to emerge from the radio interference of ballistic reentry, it has to be very low key and low priority. It's a question of how easy would it be to fill the gaps, with the understanding that any such effort would probably be in vain.

I just don't have enough familiarity with STS systems to say what was possible. It was just my understanding that, from CAIB and other sources, that the means did not exist to do an unmanned landing, certainly not on such short notice. (If you could posta link to the report you're looking at for that possibility, Arch, I would love to see it.) But I suppose most thought the same thing about keeping three men alive in an LM for five days.

I tend to think that the repair job would not have held, even on altered reentry profile. But that would make for a sadder ending.

If Vandenberg's runway is at all adequate I think that's the one NASA would have to opt for. No one would want to run the risk of a crash in a populated area. Safety would trump all other concerns. NASA would love to have its orbiter back for a detailed postmortem, but not at the price of taking out a suburban neighborhood.

Last edited:
Hello Archibald,

This has been an enjoyable timeline - a clear POD, a short, crisp story, and, in the main, plausible. Good work. Make sure you get it added over in completed timelines.

I swear that I'll nominate this as the "Best New Recent History Timeline" and vote for it at next year's Turtledove Awards. :) I don't usualy care for timelines set in that particular timeframe, but this is so well-written that I'll make an exception. :cool: Just fix the typos in the final version (I am willing to offer help with that). :D

Archibald, will Columbia be deconstructed completely, or will it be preserved in stored in a museum? P.S. Hope the ending isn't a copout.

Last edited:
And within a month the USA will loose all sympathy the world gave it when the austronauts were up in space. OTL Iraqwar started on March 20

Archibald

Banned
Yeah, context also made that story *special* notably on February 15. Iraq war is hardly NASA fault, however.
IMHO the space program is not influential enough to change politics.

No idea either how an Apollo 13 STS-107 would influence Griffin and Constellation (happened within the next two years).