Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

As for the challenge, I like the sound of Tiny but Economically Prosperous!

:D

In case anyone was wondering where I got that quote from.

liech.png

Krall

Banned
It looks to me like "Off the Map" is the most popular suggestion this time 'round, so unless there's a sudden change in popular opinion it shall be our challenge for MotF 73! :)

Krall

Banned
I love the roundels, they add a bit of color to the intro. Tell you what, can you make roundels for old challenges? Would be fun! :D

Thanks! :D

I've thought about doing roundels for old challenges, and at the moment I don't think I have enough time to really sink into it. I'll do them when I have the time and energy needed, and when I have a good idea! :)

I've thought about doing roundels for old challenges, and at the moment I don't think I have enough time to really sink into it. I'll do them when I have the time and energy needed, and when I have a good idea! :)
For the first one, you could have all gears. For UK vs. US, perhaps an American flag-colored eagle against an UK flag-colored lion?

Krall

Banned
For the first one, you could have all gears. For UK vs. US, perhaps an American flag-colored eagle against an UK flag-colored lion?

Well the first few challenges already have banners made by Scarecrow - plus I was thinking of working backwards from MotF 70, rather than forwards from MotF 1.

Krall

Banned
Hey, maybe you could release the SVG (I assume it's vector, anyway), to allow others to create roundels?

I suppose I could, though I'll have to reserve the right to decide which designs become official and which do not. :p

Edit: Just made a quick template for anyone who wants to make roundels for older challenges/challenge suggestions. It should be pretty straightforward for anyone familiar with Inkscape. :)

Attachments

• MotF Roundel Template.svg
    52.9 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:

Krall

Banned
Lovin' the roundel. Especially after finding Qumran. :D

Every country name on the roundel is actually the name a pre-existing fictional country - check Wikipedia's list of fictional countries if you want to know where they're all from! :)

Krall

Banned
I'd like to, but there's also the ASBs and I'm afrad I won't have enough time, let alone entering the ASBs plus the MotF...
But, still, I think I can try...

Ah okay... wait, what are the ASBs? Is that the name for one of the other map contests that have sprung up recently? :confused:

In any case, the voting for MotF 72 is now over!

Tpd6R4L.png

Horatius Cocles' map shows a plan by the French to irrigate and farm a large area of their holdings in North Africa, much to the detriment of the locals. This causes an ongoing, decades-long conflict between the French military and colonists on one side, and the native Arabs and Berbers on the other.

As for the actual quality of the map itself... just... wow. I don't know how Horatius does it, but I'd guess witchcraft is involved some how. How many newborn babes did you sacrifice for these dark gifts, Cocles? What sins permit such unholy talents!? :mad:

Oh well, well done anyway! I mean we've all made pacts with Satan we regret at some point, right?... Right?

B6SALrV.png

Xibalba's map depicts the Iberian peninsula in a world where the Reconquista never got finished. With the remnants of the once great Al-Andalus on one side and the Christian Spanish kingdoms on the other, the conflict has raged - sometimes hot, sometimes cold - for centuries, eventually resulting in an uneasy peace, with a vast wall separating the two feuding coalitions.

Though Xibalba's map did come in second, it didn't get a large percentage of the vote compared to Horatius Cocles' entry. Despite this, I feel it deserves an honourable mention - Xibalba's map is exceptionally well designed, existing at that long-sought after equilibrium between "too much unnecessary detail" and "too little necessary detail". The scenario, too, is not one I've seen before - more often than not if a timeline remarks on the Reconquista at all it's either about it's total success or complete failure. But these conflicts can be stretched out, always seeming to end only to begin again, and Xibalba's map is an excellent example of that.​

We also need to starting talking about what challenge suggestion to use for MotF 74. What challenges would you fellows like to see? :)

Last edited: