Map Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a source?

I had read about it in some books as well, though I am unsure if any of use could find a site holding the old diplomatic mail of the colonial era. Apparently though they were to partition Angola with the Brits getting the center portion while the north and south went to the Germans, and Mozambique would have had the north (the valuable bits) going to the Germans while the British wanted the southern part so they could control river trade into the former Boer States. Not that the British would have liked the idea, as they were already top dogs in the Portuguese colonies.

Another tweak to my quasi-TL 191 scenario.

For good reason, the Balkan region of Southeastern Europe had gained the nickname "the powderkeg of Europe", and the Great War would spark here. The shaky new borders of the young governments were not set in stone. For one thing, many Albanians lived in Southwest Serbia. Bankrolled by rogue elements of the Albanian government, an Albanian nationalist group was organized in Pristina. Most members hoped to unify Kosovo and Albania through democratic means, though one protest in downtown Pristina was violently quelled by police. In interrogation, many of the protesters were found to be Albanian nationals. The Serbian government demanded that Albania crack down on the "terrorists" or face war.

Italy, a close ally of Tirana (Albania was something of a client state) vowed to protect Albania in this event, hoping to gain influence in the Balkans and the Adriatic Sea. The ultimatum came and went, and on May 17th, 1915, Serbian troops marched into Albanian territory. Italy declared war on Serbia, setting off a Russian mobilization. Italy's allies, Austria, Turkey, and Germany (the former disliking Italy but hating Russia much more) came to her defense, while France honored its alliance with Russia. After Germany implemented the Schlieffen Plan and invaded neutral Belgium, Britain entered the fray, as did the Confederacy, France's closest ally after Russia.

Though the Confederacy would not provide ground troops to the European front (it was already involved to a limited extent in propping up the Mexican Empire against a republican rebellion), it would join Britain in instituting a blockade with Germany. Just as it did a century ago, the United States protested, worrying that it would lose access to Germany, a lucrative trade partner (and ally, though the United States chose not to enter the war immediately). On October 9th, 1915, a shipment of wheat from Baltimore to Bremen was boarded. Refusing to comply with the British demands to inspect the ship, the captain and 6 crew members were shot and killed and the ship confiscated. An outraged populace clamored for war, and President Theodore Roosevelt asked Congress to declare a state of war between the US and Britain, France, Russia, and the Confederate States. On November 1st, the United States had entered its first military conflict since the War of Secession.

CSAGreatWar.png

crossposting from MotF 72:

I was bored and it's been a while since I don't make any maps... So, here's the story:

In this TL there was never a significant downturn of the French navy in the First Empire (French victory at Trafalgar?), even though Britain continued to be major naval power outside Europe. By the early 1820's, both nations signed a substancial truce when the French made some concessions (economic, mostly), starting a long period of "armed peace". A cold war, which would get hotter sometimes, but that would endure all the 19th century. In this context, a "prestige war" started when the British started the construction of the Nicaragua Canal by the 1850's followed by the French answer with the Suez Canal. It was only the beginning of the 19th Megaprojects...

Algeria conquest took place for the same reasons as OTL's and its settler population is boosted by all dissidents of the Napoleonic Regime. By the 1870's one of the following Napoleons started the ambitious plan of constructing a Canal to the Saharan Salt Lakes and create a new agricultural frontier, his plan was to make a major change all over the North African climate and start cultivation of cotton in French land to even the growth of the clothing industry.

The succeful replenishment of this new sea gave birth to new rivers and lakes all over Algerian hinterland. Then, the region would see a massive overflow of gouvernement-sponsored European immigrants occupying the traditional homeland of the natives, that started to intensily revolt as they're pushed into some less fertile areas.

As you can see in the map, Tunisia was early incorporated into French North Africa. There's also a mix of Bantustan/Princely State for the Berbers (a OTL's project of Tocqueville IIRC), which was made to divide them from the Arabs and bride their support (a falwed plan after the construction of the Inner Sea). Yet, you see that that there's some sort of Crémieux Decree in TTL, but that failed to get the Muslim's support (only about 4% of them became French).

It's 1890 and the situation in French North Africa is explosive. Land conflicts between the colons and the indigènes are common and the Empire even fears for the integrity of the Canal itself, establishing a strict Military Regime over the Inner Sea Area.

Here's the map, enjoy it:

attachment

Meru

I've been working on my fantasy world map for sometime and this is the climate map I recently completed. Im not 100% satisfied with the climates and their locations, but there are some interesting climates i wasn't expecting, like the massive Amazon-like rainforest on the large central-north continent. I don't know what a large mountain range similar to Tibet ( but much larger) and along the equator would be like, so I went with it being a giant, high altitude forest. Some examples can be seen in our world along the equator in East Africa, so i went with that.

I've had a couple previous, hand-drawn maps that i used as a bases for this, but they were on a smaller scale so it was a challenge to place the land and mountains in a certain way to get a certain environment. Along the west coast of the central-south continent I wanted to be a cold rainforest, and in the same continent's north-east desert I wanted Mesopotamian-Lovecraft ruined civilizations.

The east most continent I haven't given much thought to, besides that is is ruled by a sand people made of sand and dissolve when they come in contact with water. The central-north continent's northern isles I think could be like viking-like society that terrorizes the mediterranean sorties to it's south.

I may just make my own thread for this because I have a lot of how this world is developed, but I rarely post as it is.... Any advice for the climates would be nice, and I have precipitation, ocean currents, and wind maps also. I used the Climate Cookbook as a guide.

merumap.jpg

crossposting from MotF 72:

I was bored and it's been a while since I don't make any maps... So, here's the story:

In this TL there was never a significant downturn of the French navy in the First Empire (French victory at Trafalgar?), even though Britain continued to be major naval power outside Europe. By the early 1820's, both nations signed a substancial truce when the French made some concessions (economic, mostly), starting a long period of "armed peace". A cold war, which would get hotter sometimes, but that would endure all the 19th century. In this context, a "prestige war" started when the British started the construction of the Nicaragua Canal by the 1850's followed by the French answer with the Suez Canal. It was only the beginning of the 19th Megaprojects...

Algeria conquest took place for the same reasons as OTL's and its settler population is boosted by all dissidents of the Napoleonic Regime. By the 1870's one of the following Napoleons started the ambitious plan of constructing a Canal to the Saharan Salt Lakes and create a new agricultural frontier, his plan was to make a major change all over the North African climate and start cultivation of cotton in French land to even the growth of the clothing industry.

The succeful replenishment of this new sea gave birth to new rivers and lakes all over Algerian hinterland. Then, the region would see a massive overflow of gouvernement-sponsored European immigrants occupying the traditional homeland of the natives, that started to intensily revolt as they're pushed into some less fertile areas.

As you can see in the map, Tunisia was early incorporated into French North Africa. There's also a mix of Bantustan/Princely State for the Berbers (a OTL's project of Tocqueville IIRC), which was made to divide them from the Arabs and bride their support (a falwed plan after the construction of the Inner Sea). Yet, you see that that there's some sort of Crémieux Decree in TTL, but that failed to get the Muslim's support (only about 4% of them became French).

It's 1890 and the situation in French North Africa is explosive. Land conflicts between the colons and the indigènes are common and the Empire even fears for the integrity of the Canal itself, establishing a strict Military Regime over the Inner Sea Area.

Here's the map, enjoy it:

There was something wrong with the link, sorry. Here it go:

algerie00.png

A map I've been working on for the hell of it. There's no coherent TL (although you could probably make one if you tried); all these countries are just random ideas for claims I might want to use for a Moderated Nation Game some time in the future. Here's the European portion of the map (the only completed version thus far):

claimsmapeurope.png

claimsmapeurope.png

Are the darker green things Hungarian clients/puppets, or part of Hungary proper? Either way, how did it happen?

Oh, and why/how did an OTL-Slovakia-shaped segment gain what seems to be some kind of autonomy?

So what the hell is going on there?
In short, the Dark Green regions are territories that were taken by the Kingdom of Hungary as the result of several treaties. I will explain how in further detail when the map is finished.

Interesting. They did not split Istria from Carinthia in this world?
It is still a work in progress. And Austria is the biggest pain as of right now.

Well, you're going to need to explain it, as you've got what looks like a WW1-era or earlier POD with a Greek state owning a huge amount of land which is overwhelmingly Turkic in an era where genocide and ethnic cleansing was a pretty standard way of changing demographics
The POD is way prior to WWI. In short, the west coast of Anatolia is predominantely Greek and has been for centuries. Greek ambitions reach higher however. And this is far from the final version. After I finish the issues I am having with Austria, I am turning to the West. Then I might return to Turkey and further revise this world.

[FONT=&quot]TL-191 Elleander Morning

[FONT=&quot]Author’s Note: Inspired by the book „Elleander Morning“, I’ve transported this alternate history of Jerry Yulsman into the Southern Victory series of Harry Turtledove. So here the German counterpart of Elleander Morning shots Jake Featherston before the Great War and butterflies the Second Great War away, along with the Population Reduction. Enjoy![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“There will no longer be need for spheres of influence, for alliances, for balance of power, or any other of the separate alliances through which in the unhappy past the nations strove to safeguard their security or promote their interest.” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1945 Speech before the C.S. Congress hearings on the League of Nations Charter, by President Cordell Hull[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“HEADLINE OF THE DAY --- Germany wins the World cup on Penalties… 166.864 Fans at the final in London, United Kingdom 1942”[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Reuter 19th July 1942[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“At times history and fate meet at a single time in a single place to shape a turning point in man's unending search for freedom. So it was at Lexington and Concord. So it was a century ago in the War of Secession. So it was last week in Selma, Alabama. There is no Negro problem. There is no southern problem. There is no northern problem. There is only a Confederate problem. Many of the issues of civil rights are very complex and most difficult. But about this there can and should be no argument. Every Confederate citizen must have the right to vote... There is no moral issue. It is wrong—deadly wrong—to deny any of your fellow Confederates the right to vote in this country. There is no issue of States' rights or National rights. There is only the struggle for human rights.”[/FONT] Introducing the Voting Rights Act to Congress on 15th March 1965 by President Lyndon B. Johnson

[FONT=&quot]“FIRST MAN ON THE MOON – ASTRONAUTS LANDS IN MARE NUBIUM, CONFEDERATE FLAG PLANTED, ROCK SAMPLES COLLECTED – First Words from the moon: "C.S.A, [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]C.S.A above everything, above everything in the world!"" [/FONT][FONT=&quot] The Süddeutsche Zeitung 22th October 1983[/FONT][/FONT]

tl_191_elleander_morning_by_zauberfloete21-d5rfj8w.png

The one thing I don't like about that map is how you play connect-the-dots with the islands in the South Atlantic and Indian Oceans.

I always found putting 1-pixel-wide boxes around them looked a lot better, myself.

Same...then again I'm the one who inrroduced the doing so to the Basemaps, sooo.

I will say I don't like the conecting lines, I mean I do understand their use, on account of all those French and British islands connected being parts of the same administrative divisions, but I still think they make the map less aesthetic.

[FONT=&quot]TL-191 Elleander Morning

[FONT=&quot]Author’s Note: Inspired by the book „Elleander Morning“, I’ve transported this alternate history of Jerry Yulsman into the Southern Victory series of Harry Turtledove. So here the German counterpart of Elleander Morning shots Jake Featherston before the Great War and butterflies the Second Great War away, along with the Population Reduction. Enjoy![/FONT]
[/CENTER]

Nice, but one quibble: it's been, what, over sixty years since the world war? One would think the Russians would have gotten their communist problems under control, one way or another, by then (communists probably would be in _control_ if the economic situation had remained uniformly crappy for that long....)

Bruce

There was something wrong with the link, sorry. Here it go:
Wow, that map is excellent. Like how Paris seems to be the Prime Meridian in this timeline, though I guess it might not be the only one. I could see the British and the Americans using Greenwich, while France and the rest of Europe used Paris, which could lead to hilarious misunderstandings.

I've been working on my fantasy world map for sometime and this is the climate map I recently completed. Im not 100% satisfied with the climates and their locations, but there are some interesting climates i wasn't expecting, like the massive Amazon-like rainforest on the large central-north continent. I don't know what a large mountain range similar to Tibet ( but much larger) and along the equator would be like, so I went with it being a giant, high altitude forest. Some examples can be seen in our world along the equator in East Africa, so i went with that.
What does the mountain range look like, in regards to elevation? Because as far as I can figure out, mountain ranges seem to have quite another effect than plateaus. The East African montane forests are plateaus lifted up by a mantle plume, unlike Tibet which is caused by the crashing together of two continents. Difference being that there's a giant mountain range creating a rain shadow over Tibet, while East Africa is just the highest point in a steady rise from the coast. Also seems to not be quite as tall as the Tibetan plateau.

Oh yeah, maybe make the map a bit bigger another time? I can hardly read the text on my monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.