Map Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty, so after doing the Religious maps I remembered I wanted to do one of Urbanization.

The below shows the Worlds countries by Urbanization, that is the amount of the population that lives in cities (which don't always use the same definition in every country).

Note that the Data is from/for 2008 and 2009, as a result some of these would now be in different categories as a result of continued Urbanization by now.

Notes:

-Singapore is the most Urbanized country, however it's also First Among Equals, as it shares the position of 100% Urbanization with three other Countries and seven autonomous Territories.

-The least Urbanized area is the Pitcairn Islands, however like Singapore above it also shares the position of 0% Urbanization with two other Territories.

-The country with the highest annual Urbanization rate, that is the rate at which the non-Urban population is moving into cities, is Burundi at 6.8%.

-The country with the lowest annual Urbanization rate is Moldova at -1.7%, which means that the population living in cities is actually shrinking their.

Urbanization by Country.png

Last edited:
Alrighty, so after doing the Religious maps I remembered I wanted to do one of Urbanization.

The below shows the Worlds countries by Urbanization, that is the amount of the population that lives in cities (which don't always use the same definition in every country).

Note that the Data is from/for 2008 and 2009, as a result some of these would now be in different categories as a result of continued Urbanization by now.

Notes:

-Singapore is the most Urbanized country, however it's also First Among Equals, as it shares the position of 100% Urbanization with three other Countries and seven autonomous Territories.

-The least Urbanized area is the Pitcairn Islands, however like Singapore above it also shares the position of 0% Urbanization with two other Territories.

-The country with the highest annual Urbanization rate, that is the rate at which the non-Urban population is moving into cities, is Burundi at 6.8%.

-The country with the lowest annual Urbanization rate is Moldova at -1.7%, which means that the population living in cities is actually shrinking their.

Isn't it a bit anachronistic to show South Sudan and Azawad in a map for 2008? Also, surely Mali's data would be a base for Azawad the same way Sudan's is a base for South Sudan?

Isn't it a bit anachronistic to show South Sudan and Azawad in a map for 2008?

Yes, I think I probably should change that...

Also, surely Mali's data would be a base for Azawad the same way Sudan's is a base for South Sudan?

No, South Sudan and Sudan both have noticably different levels of Urbanization (Sudan in the mid-40s, S. Sudan in the mid 20s) and Mali and Azawad even more so, while Mali has an Urbanization rate of 32% (it's probably around 40% without Azawad), Azawads is signifcantly lower, however I was unable to find exact percentages for it.

Yes, as are islands that have people but no permanent population.

How about the Chagos and South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands? It's just military personnel in the former and scientific research staff on the latter, as far as I am aware.

And the Glorioso islands are still the former French color I believe (but now I'm just nitpicking :p)

How about the Chagos and South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands? It's just military personnel in the former and scientific research staff on the latter, as far as I am aware.

Ok, let me be more specific, islands that have people, but not all the time, as opposed to islands without permanent populations but have people all year.

And the Glorioso islands are still the former French color I believe (but now I'm just nitpicking :p)

I actually forgot the other half of the French Indian Ocean Islands in general. :eek:

Ok, let me be more specific, islands that have people, but not all the time, as opposed to islands without permanent populations but have people all year.

Got it

I actually forgot the other half of the French Indian Ocean Islands in general. :eek:

Heh, I just assumed Mayotte and Reunion were differently colored because you took into account their differing levels of urbanization. :eek:
With the other 3 groups of uninhabited Scattered Islands I just cross checked with France proper; didn't think to compare Glorioso with the 2 inhabited ones.

Heh, I just assumed Mayotte and Reunion were differently colored because you took into account their differing levels of urbanization. :eek:
With the other 3 groups of uninhabited Scattered Islands I just cross checked with France proper; didn't think to compare Glorioso with the 2 inhabited ones.

I actually did intend to color them seperately (and have just looked up the info and updated the map) since they're both in different levels of Urbanization than Metropolitan France, with Mayotte less so and Réunion more so.

Glorioso of course is the same color as the Metropole since it's uninhabited.

I actually did intend to color them seperately (and have just looked up the info and updated the map) since they're both in different levels of Urbanization than Metropolitan France, with Mayotte less so and Réunion more so.

Glorioso of course is the same color as the Metropole since it's uninhabited.

Should Svalbard be close to 100%, and Jan Mayen the same status as Chagos and South Georgia and the Sandwich Islands?

Should Svalbard be close to 100%, and Jan Mayen the same status as Chagos and South Georgia and the Sandwich Islands?

In the case of those two I don't count them seperately since they're right next to the Mainland and are integral parts of a Unitary state, as opposed to B.I.O.T and S.G. & Sandwich Islands, which hold the position of Overseas Territories.

Last edited:
In the case of those two I don't count them seperately since they're right next to the Mainland and are integral parts of a Unitary state, as opposed to B.I.O.T and S.G. & Sandwich Islands, which are hold the position of Overseas Territories.

Fair enough.

And I think my final island-related inquiry is: why is the B.I.O.T. marked as such a low percentage?

These info maps are a very cool undertaking.

This one thankfully only took me about 3 hours, and even then only because I stopped a few times to do other stuff; some of the information maps I do end-up taking me days.

You've got a dedicated sub-folder in my AH folder. ;)

Ha, thanks, though you could just Favorite the Info Map folder on my DA account, I update the maps on occasion.

My first attempt at making a map in Inkscape, so I kept it deliberately small and simple.

It shows the state of Francescia, the remnant of a successful French colonisation of Florida which was later ceded by France to the United States with the part east of the Appalachians becoming Francescia (a corruption of the alternate French name for the colony, Francesca after King Francis I).

(The flag is deliberately not great to make it more plausible as a US state flag).

Francescia.png

Francescia.png

My first attempt at making a map in Inkscape, so I kept it deliberately small and simple.

It shows the state of Francescia, the remnant of a successful French colonisation of Florida which was later ceded by France to the United States with the part east of the Appalachians becoming the Francescia (a corruption of the alternate French name for the colony, Francesca after King Francis I).

Very nice map. I'm not sure about the blue land-sea border, though - might look better to just go with black.

For the current contest.

In this world, the horse did not die out in the Americas entirely, and the plains tribes developed the same mad skillz as OTL with horses, but a millenium and a half earlier...

Bruce

AmericanAtilla.png

(The flag is deliberately not great to make it more plausible as a US state flag).

if the colonisation process was in the mid-late 16th centuary, then why is the flag a tricolour?...they didnt appear until after the french revolution...well..least not as a nation flag status
wouldnt the colony (even if ther french revolution had still come around) have a more monarchial type flag, showing its history (as most us flags do east of the mississipi...more or less)

if the colonisation process was in the mid-late 16th centuary, then why is the flag a tricolour?...they didnt appear until after the french revolution...well..least not as a nation flag status
wouldnt the colony (even if ther french revolution had still come around) have a more monarchial type flag, showing its history (as most us flags do east of the mississipi...more or less)
Yeah like I said I mainly made the map to test out Inkscape. I think the flag could be a coincidence though - it could be a modern design with the yellow stars on blue recalling the French royal arms and the white and red representing prosperity and defending the state's rights. I'm sure somebody would have thought of using vertical stripes on a flag at some point (from hanging horizontally striped flags vertically maybe?).

Status
Not open for further replies.