Map Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a .6" thick, metal-cased, seven-hour battery, can't-get-viruses PC laptop that will last you six years as a primary computer?

Also, this ends here. Unless one of us wants to do a map of OS use, it doesn't belong here. :D

I'd like to see that, actually, although I'm not sure if the data actually exists.

The only reason there aren't a lot of viruses for Macs is because there are so little of them compared to Windows, its easier to just make a virus that can infect most computers than basically make two viruses that do the same job to infect the rest. The amount of viruses that infect Macs will actually be rising because Apple has flaunted its "virus resistence" and more people buy Macs because of it.

The only reason there aren't a lot of viruses for Macs is because there are so little of them compared to Windows, its easier to just make a virus that can infect most computers than basically make two viruses that do the same job to infect the rest. The amount of viruses that infect Macs will actually be rising because Apple has flaunted its "virus resistence" and more people buy Macs because of it.

The marketshare myth was debunked a decade ago. It's not the case at all.

Wish Tex would come back so I could finish the 1847 US map…

Really? I never knew that. I honestly don't have anything against Macs other than they're overpriced, and thats the reason I run Windows. Besides, I grew up with Windows and the only time I've ever had a Mac in the househould was when my family got our first computer when I was really little, and it was an old iMac G3. I loved that old iMac.

Edit: But I've always hated how little memory Macs had compared to PCs. You have to pay extra to get an iMac capable of matching the RAM of most new PCs of the same price.

Last edited:

Nilats

Banned
Like I said I was making a 1984 map (with a twist!). This is not even close to being done but I have finished the middle east and Europe. Any suggestions or praise is welcome.

800px-US_flag_32_stars.svg.png

Ok. As I said, I am working on a few "covers" of other people's maps. I hope you will bear with me - I'll be getting back to original (or at least based on other people's scenarios rather than other people's maps :D ) eventually.

This one comes from this scenario:

Actually, the PoD (PoDs, for I think it'd certainly be more than one. Just look at Asia !), although my self not sure about it yet, it's maybe no earlier than 1480s. Still confused to decide that Columbus would still be arrived New World anyway only just norther, or have the age of imperialism delayed about some decades up to a century... And obviously the Mesoamericas goes to the Englishmen.

In Iberian Peninsula, it's not al-Andalus. Instead ITTL Spain is aunion between Castille and Portugal. Aragon persisted for some time, though eventually met their fate...

Hungary wasn't conquered, only vassalized by the Ottomans and successfully became a Calvinist country. Over the time it managed to expand into Venice and the Alps, made an axis and eventually personal union with Switzerland (don't ask how !!), and eventually all the territories formally united into one crown (still don't what to name. Any suggestion ?). They eventually distanced themselves (and of course, quit being a vassal) from the Ottomans for a while before they came back to them again, though not as a vassal anymore, more of a sidekick.

Ottomans was declining a bit for a while, but eventually began a resurgence and managed to become an industrial power during mid 19th century CE (and I heretically decided it'd be without a full scale devastating civil war , though a systematic purges against oppositions is in the list). They rapidly grew into once again a great power and distance themselves for the formerly allied Mughal Empire. In fact Ottomans decided eventually to make an axis with Mughal's rival : China !

andAfter the resurgence, than Ottoman decided to make expansions in Africa opening their way the west by taking care of the Franco-Spain

Industrial revolution(s!) in this TL happened in three places : India, China, Europe. Indonesia was a hotbed of rivalry between Mughals and co with China, competing for domination over the region. There were several conflicts during late 18th century until early mid 19th century. Eventually Mataram and Makassar emerge as a modernized regional powers of Nusantara. China can be said as failed, for none of the both mentioned siding with them. Both Mataram and Makassar are in fact quite friendly with each other...

As for the mega-bear, it was started during a political crisis in HRE which well, you know where it led HRE to.... And somehow, the Prussian king managed to be the inheritor of the Russian throne... and he became an Orthodox... and Prussia would eventually Orthodoxized... so would be most of the northern Germany.... and obviously it was Poland who got the worse effect from all this.... and Sweden.....

It's obviously a semi-random map. So just don't expect anything to be very plausible I'm quite wishing to make this into a Habsburg-style mapped-mini-TL though....

(Will the original author stand up?)

Bruce

So, here's my scenario inspired by it...

This TL started diverging from ours in the second half of the 1400s: the Chinese remained more open to outside contacts (although they still discontinued that whole treasure ship setup. Man, was that a financial black hole). There was no great Habsburg marriage lottery victory, and Castile united with Portugal rather than Aragon. Columbus never sailed, and the Americas were discovered by the English looking for fish. To the south, the Brits soon found much more gold-like things than fish, and aside from Fish Central in Newfoundland, North America was largely abandoned to the Luso-Castilians, the French, and the Scandinavians.

A *reformation took place which ended with the Irish and the Brits on the same side of the religious fence but not the Scots, and more than 2/3 of OTL Switzerland was united under a Protestant centralizing government centered in Zurich, which later became an important Hungarian ally. The Habsburgs crashed and burned by the 1700s, Hungary was reunited under the rule of Transylvanian Protestants rather than Catholic Austrians and managed to slip the Ottoman leash, and the Aragonese empire ended up being divided up between France and Portugal-Castile.

In East Asia, a stronger late Ming managed to beat the Qing to a standstill, although a Chinese general ended kicking over the decadent last Ming emperor and found the Sheng. There was considerable intellectual exchange through Central Asia with the Mughals, which underwent a bit of a Renaissance: between them, the Chinese and the Mughals managed to complete 4/5 of an industrial and ¾ of a scientific revolution, the Mughals later picking up through trade and literary commerce from the Europeans enough to carry themselves the rest of the way to modernity, while the Chinese at least managed to keep up enough to avoid humiliations on the OTL level and hold onto their overseas possessions.

The Ottomans fell behind for a while, but managed to get their shit back together in the 19th century and greatly expanded in Africa: by the present day of 1926 AD they have grown strong enough to shake off a former degree of dependence on the Mughals to challenge them for the role of “leader of Islam”.
The Ottomans and the Mughals are considered two of the “great powers” of this world (the word “superpower” has yet to be invented). There are generally considered to be five: the Conference of Espanish Nations has recently returned to the Top Powers rank by the formidable growth in population and industry of its American (Hudsonian) members. It is generally however considered the least influential of the five, in part due to its isolationist and business-centered approach to international relations. The other two are the Chinese, aiming for the Top Nation spot the Mughals took from them a couple centuries back, and the Russo-German Union. (Due to a tangle of dynastic marriages, the houses of Romanov and Hohenzollern-Wettin ended being united in one heir, and after defeating the strongly objecting British and French in a war, the two empires have been ruled by one family – although religious objections to a closer union have kept Germany and Russia largely self-governing on an internal level).

At present, new alliances are in the process of forming. The Ottomans, in their quest to displace the Mughals as Top Muslim, aside from harping all the time on how disgustingly tolerant of pagans the Mughals are, have moved closer to China, which has some serious beefs with the Mughals re their hogging of central Asia and mucking about in Indonesia and other parts of SE Asia. The Mughals, in response, have opened closer contacts with France and the Russo-Germans (there have been some squabbles re Russia and Mughal vassals in central Asia, but Russo-Ottoman hostilities go waaay back). People wonder where the Espanish Conference will stand if full-blown modern, industrial warfare were to break out between the other four great powers (and France. Man, the French are pissed that nobody counts them as a first-ranker since their defeat, civil war and loss of much of their colonial empire). And then there are the other second-rank powers, the Anglo-Irish, the Karnatic League, and the Nihonese, which the Chinese will tell you are positively inscrutable. The Hungarians have moved back into the Ottoman sphere with the alarming rise of the Russo-Germans to the north, and the Danes are friendly with the Germans…

Technology is in many ways comparable to OTL in the 1940s, with some things (tropical medicine) rather ahead, and a number of things rather behind – most notably the practice of industrial warfare, no major conflicts having taken place since the mid-1800s, when the Ottomans stopped cold the Luso-Castilian effort to expand its colonial possessions in N Africa (and even got some colonial pelf in the peace treaty). Nobody knows what a reaaaly big war in this era of internal combustion vehicles, diesel locomotives, airplanes, and chemical weapons (for pesky colonial subjects) will look like. And some people are messing around with atoms…

Bruce

Numb

Banned
ok

No, you can't 'gert' the latest basemap. You need to tell us which one; Q-BAM blank, Q-BAM normal, Q-BAM maxdivisions, Worlda with rivers, Worlda normal, Worlda blank, Worlda maxdivisions, etc...
the base map with US internal borders and the island chains surorunded b regions. Thats all I need. Dont know what iots called officilay. Just a basic map with political borders and US state borders.

Status
Not open for further replies.