Bronze Age New World v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hnau

Banned
As for the Timuchan and their boats, I think it would be okay to have them develop better hull-building techniques to make pirogues and the like, its not as if they aren't advanced enough in other areas to make the leap. I can't edit that earlier installment any more, but in the future I'll make the addition. :) Unfortunately, it's probably one of those things that are interesting about their civilization but will have little affect on the Spanish conquest and won't survive their destruction. :(

Hnau

Banned
I've been revamping the North America part of the map. It's tough work. As you can see here, the Mississippian Empire is much more limited. The light green shows their tributary states (starting at the northernmost and moving clockwise around the empire): The Otoe, the Illinois, the Miami, the Houma, the Molosolee, the Atakapa, and the Quapaw. The Cherokee are in the dark gold.

The white polities are those with a unitary government rather than simply cohesion on a cultural level. The tan colored areas are distinctive nations with agriculture and some permanent settlements. You will also notice the yellow dots, which represent the four regional capitals of the Mississippian Empire and the imperial capital at Memphis.

North American Teaser Map.png

Last edited:

Hnau

Banned
The Mississippians

The Arawaks began exploring the Mississippi River in the 700s CE. After finding that the region was densely populated by relatively peaceful and primitive cultures, slaving became extremely profitable. In the 800s an Arawak colony is built near OTL Baton Rouge and becomes for two hundred years the principal exporter of slaves to Arawak plantations in the Caribbean islands. This comes to end in the year 1140 CE, when a slave revolt led by transplanted Mesoamericans leads to the overthrow of the Arawaks.

By the turn of the century, former slaves become the backbone of a new civilization that will dominate the length of the Mississippi River. The Mississippians inherit Mesoamerican religion and ritual, architectural styles, and bronze-working, from the Arawaks their syllabary and tradition of ruthless slaving. The result is a society that places very little value on human life: they conquer, enslave, and sacrifice every people they come into contact with as they work their way up the great river. OTL Greenville, Mississippi is their first capital until a new grander city is built in OTL Memphis which eclipses the first. Stone and bronze tools are used to build pyramids and plazas as yet unseen north of Mexico.

The Mississippi River basin isn't rich with tin, so the Mississippians are forced to travel farther and farther up its tributaries to find enough of it to keep their warriors better equipped than their neighbors. Cahokia is conquered and rebuilt with stone pyramids and aqueducts. Two more large cities are established in OTL Evansville and OTL Paducah. By the year 1400 there are fortified towns as far north as St. Paul. It is around this time that the House of the Undying King is built in Memphis, a megalithic pyramid on top of which the ruling monarch is sacrificed every year before planting season in order to guarantee that the corn grows. Real power is held by the bureaucratic priesthood at Memphis and the regional god-kings at Cahokia, Evansville, Greenville, and Paducah which are appointed by them.

attachment.php

In the 15th century the Mississippian civilization really comes into its own. While it continues to terrorize its neighbors to satiate its constant need for slaves, the Mississippians also develop complex levees, plumbing, sewers, and a dozen other inventions to make life on the great river easier, from the cofferdam to the float valve. They are the New World's most impressive engineers. They also set up a number of tributary states on their borders so that they don't have to do all the slaving themselves: the Atakapa, the Houma, the Illinois, the Miami, the Molosolee, and the Quapaw all adopt a version of the Mississippian religion, appoint kings, start using higher technology and integrate into the Mississippian economy.

By the 15th century an airborne mutation of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever breaks out in Arkansas and spreads quickly throughout the densely populated towns of the Mississippians. On average it kills only 5% of those affected, but it blinds and maims another 10%, and though it does not destroy the Mississippian empire, it does put an end to its rapid expansion. A solution to the frequent outbreaks of RMSF is discovered in subsequent generations: those who are found with "kisses of the Earth Spirit" have their skulls knocked in, are cooked in a clay oven for two days and eaten by the community. More than any other New World culture they understand the way diseases work and how to protect themselves, though it is understood only in a religious framework. The priestly class takes on the responsibility of containing disease, and with the addition of this portfolio gain even more power in Mississippian society. Religion becomes paramount. Auto-hypnosis, coercive persuasion [1], and lucid dreaming techniques are popularized among large sections of the population, creating a culture the likes of which is without comparison with any other on the planet Earth.

[1] Many slaves in the Mississippian basin undergo routine brainwashing to be kept docile.

Last edited:

Hnau

Banned
The original post by Doug Muir (with some aesthetic changes):

Doug Muir said:
This document is the from the journal of Christopher Columbus in his voyage of 1492.

IN THE NAME OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST...

...ordered me to proceed with a sufficient armament to the said regions of India, and for that purpose granted me great favors, and ennobled me that thenceforth I might call myself Don, and be High Admiral of the Sea, and perpetual Viceroy and Governor in all the islands and continents which I might discover and acquire. I hereby set forth my discoveries on ink and quill so that Your Highnesses will know of my journeys.

Thursday, 11 October, 1492
At two o'clock in the morning the land was discovered, when we found ourselves near a small island, of which we were never told of the name so we christened it Isabela after her most Catholic Majesty [1]. I, the Admiral, bore the royal standard, and the two captains each a banner of the Green Cross. We saw few trees almost no fruits [2]. I called upon the two Captains to bear witness that I, before all others took possession of that island for the King and Queen his sovereigns, making the requisite declarations...

...The peoples of the island are of concern, as I saw that they were very hostile to us. At first sight they take to their feet and flee shouting, "ALSCO" [3]. I perceived that they could not be easily converted to our holy faith by gentle means. They all go completely naked and are covered in numerous tattoos, even the women, though I saw but one girl. All whom I saw were young, not above thirty years of age, not well made. They have an ugly look about them and their faces are almost always filled with scowls. Weapons they all have, and not are nor shy of using them, for a shipmate managed to catch one only to have his face scarred for the experience. For the native slashed him with a bronze blade, very worn and tarnished. We saw a few such blades, which were obviously highly cherished. It served this native little good, however, for the Castilian then showed them his sword which he struck home true...

... It seems to me, that the people are highly violent, untrustworthy, and dishonorable...

...I saw no beasts in the island, nor any sort of animals except parrots and a monkey. We tried to obtain both of these, but it proved impossible. With the Grace of God we shall bring home one of these animals next time.

Saturday, 13 October
The natives have not improved any with the passing of the days. We are attempting to re-supply our ship as best we can, but it is hard. Danger lurks everywhere among these dirty savages. They show no interest in trading with us, and throw stones and spears if we approach too closely. We grow weary of this.

Sunday, 14 October
We were raided in the middle of the night. They came to the ship in canoes, made of a single trunk of a tree, wrought in a wonderful manner considering the country; some of them large enough to contain forty or forty-five men, others of different sizes down to those fitted to hold but a single person. They rowed with an oar like a baker's peel, and wonderfully swift [4]. They came loaded with knives, javelins, and other things too numerous to mention; our sword and shot fell them back and the retreated to their canoes, of which we sunk one. I was very attentive and had the corpses searched for anything of value. I then strove to learn from the captives if they had any gold. Seeing some of them with little bits of this metal hanging at their noses, I gathered from them by signs that by going southward or steering round the island in that direction, there would be found a king who possessed large vessels of gold, and in great quantities. I endeavored to procure them to lead the way thither, and we set off the very night [5].

Monday, 15 October

About sunset we anchored near the cape which terminates the island towards the west to inquire for gold, for the natives we had taken from Isabela told me that the people here wore golden bracelets upon their arms and legs. I believed pretty confidently that they had invented this story in order to find means to escape from us, still I determined to pass none of these islands without taking possession, because being once taken, it would answer for all times. We anchored and remained till Tuesday, when at daybreak I went ashore with the boats armed as heavily as possible. The people we found naked like those of San Salvador, and of the same disposition, inclined only to flight or to battle. Is no one friendly in these Islands?

Saturday, 20 October
At a place where a small stream enters the sea, we found a town of perhaps fifty houses. This town was greater than those we had seen before, and the houses were made of stone, not wood, wherefore we thought we might have come to a greater town of this province. We went ashore, and found that each house was round like a baker's oven, large in size, perhaps twenty paces across, but low so that a tall man must stoop, and very dark inside. The stone work was very fine though no mortar was used. Each house had three rooms, one very large and two small. We had no doubt that the people had fled in terror at our approach, as each house was completely furnished, but soon we thought otherwise. For the furnishings were very old and rotten, and the dust lay thick all around, and creeping plants were growing up through the walls, and rats and monkeys were living in the roofs. It seemed to us that this house had not been used for a long time. Strange how some of these islands seem to have houses but no people. This island even exceeds the others in beauty and fertility. Groves of lofty and flourishing trees are abundant, as also large lakes, surrounded and overhung by the foliage, in a most enchanting manner. Everything looked as green as in April in Andalusia. The melody of the birds was so exquisite that one was never willing to part from the spot, and the flocks of parrots obscured the heavens.

Sunday, 28 October
We have been encountering more and more wreckage as we progress from Island to Island, but nothing could have prepared us for what we discovered today on the island called Cuba. We have become used to seeing many houses built in the round, like tents of stone, but compared to what we saw today they are but the playthings of children. The steamy hot jungles of this island cover the bones of a kingdom. It is like nothing any of us have ever heard of, or even imagined. Like something in Italy that had survived from the times of the Romans, only to be reclaimed by the forest. It was a city but it was dead. That is the only word for it. No people were in it, trees grew in the streets and vines were growing on buildings. Only the screech of parrots and monkeys sounded there now. No people. Just wrecks and buildings. We asked the natives and they shouted, "Timorlong." Which I take to mean that this cities were sacked by Tamerlane! Such was the fear aroused by the memory of this fearsome infidel, that the natives refused to even come near the cities, and had to be left under guard... [5]

...We explored as best we could. The structures were all in stone, and huge. The most common sort of building was a round stone house, like the ones in the smaller towns we had seen, but built up to four or five stories, and with many rooms inside. Within some we found tables and chairs, but all very rotten, and no jewels or gold. Some of the houses had been burnt by fire inside, which made us think this city had been sacked with great violence...

...Also we saw four great stone buildings, pyramids, not less than a hundred feet in height, which seem to be temples of some pagan sort, for their every stone was carved with beasts and devils of the most fantastic kind...

...Again we saw a number of monkeys in these cities. Here they seem quite tame, and with a little patience will take food from the hand, though we did not pause to capture any, so intent were we upon searching the ruins...

...A stream runs through the city, and we followed it for half a day's march, where we found a small village of the natives, surrounded by some little fields where they grow a sort of gourd. There we caught one woman who was wearing a gold bracelet and anklet. When we inquired as to where she had obtained it, she got across the message that it was passed down from her mother's mother's mother. She said it was an item from the "Beforetime". I have, of course, enclosed the jewelry for your Majesties. As you can see it is of exceptional quality and design.

January 2, 1493
Having mapped and explored these lands to the best of our abilities, we have replenished our supplies and now all three of your ships under my command are set to return for home [7]. On our last night here the water is as smooth as a pond. It was to view these parts that I set out in the morning, for I wished to give a complete relation to your Highnesses, as also to find where a fort might be built. I discovered a tongue of land which appeared like an island though it was not, but might be cut through and made so in two days; it contained six stone houses. I see the necessity of fortifying the place, as the people here are of a craven yet vicious disposition, fleeing all friendly greetings but turning to attack when their numbers are greater. This your Highnesses will see by those seven which I have ordered to be taken and carried to Spain in order to learn our language and return, unless your Highnesses should choose to have them all transported to Castile, or held captive in the island. After examining them I think you will agree with me, that this is a lush and beautiful country, full of prosperity and good fortune and that it would be a perfect place, if only it wasn't for the people here.

---

[1] In OTL one of the Lucayos, called in the Indian language Guanahani.

[2] OTL "many trees, very green many streams of water, and diverse sorts of fruits". The fall of the Arawaks hit this island very hard and they deforested it pretty badly. It's not a very promising island.

[3] A slight corruption of the Arawak word, ALCO (AL-koh). It's literally meaning is wild dog, but it's come to mean, "En-slaver."

[4] The natives have lost most of the Arawak navigational package, and can no longer engage in blue-water sailing. However, a few tribes still have the ability to make large canoes, and a few modest coastal towns have grown up -- far from the Arawak city sites, of course.

[5] They've retrograded, but they still know some basic knowledge from myths and legends of the times of their grandfather's grandfathers. And that's good enough when you have a sword at your throat and a big scary guy demanding you tell him where to get the shiny metal.

[6] Actually, what the natives said was, "tloggotl" which is the Shapeless Death.

[7] In OTL Santa Maria grounded on a reef, but that was more or less pure chance, and I'm assuming it doesn't happen here. Also, in OTL, while sailing north of Cuba on November 22, Martín Alonso Pinzón, captain of the Pinta, left the other two ships without permission and sailed on his own in search of an island called "Babeque," where he had been told by his native guides that there was much gold. Here, there aren't really any friendly natives so they don't get as many instructions.

The prospect of these lands in European eyes is slightly different. The Natives aren't viewed as quite so easy prey, and Columbus comes away thinking them mean, and bad servants. But on the plus side, gold is more evident in this Caribbean, even if it's mainly from the Beforetime. Also, all three of Columbus's ships come back in good order. That makes the trip look less perilous than OTL when one got grounded, and the other got lost for a while. All in all, it about evens out in the eyes of Europeans in terms of cost-benefits analysis.

Hnau

Banned
attachment.php

Columbus at sea

Christopher Columbus and the Discovery of the New World

On the return of Columbus from his first voyage to the Americas many in Spain are perplexed with his description of empty cities. Had they in fact stumbled upon a region of Asia devastated by Tamerlane? The jungle-covered islands described by Columbus seem nothing like those areas reported to have been conquered by Tamerlane or any other historical figure. Many scholars and thinkers are skeptical. While the discovery of the New World challenges the intellectual foundations of the Old, Columbus and his financiers choose to focus on maximizing their profits: they have to get some more of that gold.

The Spanish send Columbus west once more in late 1493. On this second voyage he takes eight ships and explores much of the Lesser Antilles. There he finds the Caribs, which have recently colonized these islands, building on top of old ports, intermarrying with the surviving Arawaks. He loses one ship in a storm, and four more to shipwrecks. Only three caravels return to Spain with a minimal amount of loot, which is certainly a calamity to Columbus's backers, but there's enough funds for him to mount a rescue voyage. In 1495 Columbus returns to the two different islands where ships had wrecked and finds partially cannibalized and dismembered remains of the crews [1]. The Spanish have discovered how vicious a people the Caribs can be, and the islands are avoided for some years. Before his entire crew, Columbus vows to God that he shall have vengeance. He is enraged, and promises that the day will come when every indio will curse the name of Christopher Columbus. Unfortunately for the natives of Jamaica, which has been recovering quite well thanks to contact with the Tlantecs and the Muyska, theirs is the next island that the Spanish discover. They've got some gold and trinkets to show for their recovery, and the Spaniards go after it with abandon. A few villages later, Columbus is able to load his ships with enough loot to fund another voyage [2]. Jamaica loses 5% of its population from this one visit [3].

Christopher Columbus's fourth voyage is motivated by curiosity concerning whether or not there was a passage to the Far East. His six ships leave in 1498 and take a more southerly route than the others. Eventually they run into South America for the first time, around the mouth of the Orinoco River. The seas are teeming with Caribs, many of which attack the Spaniards when they can muster enough canoes. Columbus doesn't stay along in any one area, moving quickly to the west. He sights OTL Trinidad, Margarita Island, Tobago and Concepcion and makes brief landings. The Spanish are surprised by this region, as they find the indios have irrigated fields and fishing fleets. A few canoes and a catamaran are boarded, the crews put in chains and the cargoes of gold and pearls stolen. They also find more cocoa beans. Columbus makes a mental note to return to the area with more men to do some more raiding, but he will never have the chance.

Christopher Columbus takes his fleet north to Hispaniola and establishes the first Spanish colony which he christens Santo Domingo [4]. He doesn't want to miss out on the riches he expects to find in the interior and as such he sends the ships back to Europe under a different captain. For the next two years, he will be Governor Columbus of the Spanish territories in Asia, until he is removed because of popular discontent. In 1501 he flees to Spain with some indio treasure and a number of serious health problems. Christopher Columbus never returns to the New World he discovered.

---

[1] In the original BANW, one crew was safely rescued because the island they were stranded on was completely depopulated. In this version the Caribs have the outrigger canoe, so by now they would have colonized every island in the Lesser Antilles. I don't see how any shipwrecked crew could survive with the islands teeming with a very stable and very xenophobic culture.

[2] Included in the cargo are a couple of pots filled to the brim with cocoa beans, which Columbus has discovered can be made into a bittersweet drink that has an interesting taste. Chocolate as such makes its first transatlantic voyage thirty years before OTL.

[3] About 3,000 dead. It is from Jamaica that the first rumors of the return of the Sea People spreads to both Colombia and Mesoamerica, since it is a stopover point for blue-water catamarans.

[4] At its OTL location, built practically on top of the ruins of an impressive Arawak city.

Well, looks like things are going to heat up in the Americas
I like your descriptions of the Mississippian cultures, they sound like theyll know what to do when Typhus and smallpox beat down on them
Good work and keep it up, I love this thread:D

Hnau

Banned
Clarence Vine, Esquivel and the European Conquest of the Muyska (Cambridge University 1998)

... On their departure from the continent in November, Ojeda and Vespucci had no idea that just a short distance to the west they would have found an empire rich in gold and emeralds, exactly what they had hoped to find. The glory of that discovery would go instead to Rodrigo de Bastidas, who in the summer of the year 1500 obtained a royal charter to explore more of what would be called South America.

20080730klphishco_1_Ies_SCO.jpg

Rodrigo de Bastidas

Bastidas left from Cadiz in October, commanding two ships, the San Antón and the Santa Maria de Gracia, and had at his disposal one of the most capable navigators of the day, Juan de la Cosa. Landfall was made at Cabo de la Vela before the end of the year. Shortly thereafter Bastidas took his ships west to uncharted territory, picking up perfectly where Alonso de Ojeda left off a year before. In the week after, an indio catamaran was spotted heading west. Many of the Spanish crewmen desired to board it, but Rodrigo de Bastidas denied their request. This wouldn't be the first time that Bastidas would stand in the way of his crew's greed for treasures at all costs. Instead Juan de la Cosa guided them along the same route until they sighted the great fort of Toska [1].

Bastidas ordered the ships toward the coast a good distance from the stone walls of the Toska fortress, eager to find a place to anchor but fearful of what military power the locals could project. Before they could find anchorage, two indio catamarans surrounded by canoes approached them. Though the Spaniards prepared themselves to do battle, the indios proved to be stony-faced but peaceful. Through gestures it was communicated that Bastidas should follow the catamarans west to a large and rich city. As the Spanish followed their escorts they noticed more and more indio vessels plying the seas, until finally they came to the great port of Betibo. The Spanish, who had never before seen such a large population center in the Americas, called this discovery El Gran Cairo, evoking the Muslims in all that was developed but not Christian.
Betibo was a major city at the time, with an estimated population of 30,000. Emeralds, gold ornaments and salt were exported principally to the Tlantec Empire, but such commodities could be found entering ports as far north as the Chesepik [2]. Hundreds of catamarans could be found docked at its stone quays and at the common market nearby thousands of pounds of exotic goods were traded every day. Betibo’s stone walls faced the east and south, for when they were built the Teyuna were still an important threat. The city was young; it had never known the Barano [3] or the danger of a seaborne invasion.

It is unknown what the Muyska first thought of the Spanish. Alonso de Ojeda had indeed visited villages in Venezuela a year before that were claimed possessions of the Muyska Empire, but there is no evidence that stories of contact with the Spanish made their way to Betibo. Muyska traders often included Jamaica on their maps; as such it is possible that news of the Spanish decimation of the native Jamaicans made its way south. However, if that were the case, we would assume that the Muyska would have been hostile from the very beginning to such strangers as the Spanish. This was not the case. Vasco Núñez de Balboa wrote that upon entry to the port the indios happily guided them around the quays and markets and gave them many gifts of food, animals, and golden ornaments.

At some point something went wrong. Rodrigo de Bastidas wrote that a couple of his men began fighting with an indio over a pile of tiny emeralds. The hospitality of the Muyska quickly evaporated and though Bastidas ordered a retreat to the ships, his men instead began a massacre. The Spaniards killed anyone who resisted them as they filled their pockets with valuables. The city guard, wearing bronze breastplates and wielding short bows, arrived on the scene to pepper the conquistadors with arrows. Five Spaniards were killed before they could get back to the ships. Bastidas berated his crew, had the stolen treasures confiscated and ordered their return to Santo Domingo. It was no wonder the majority of the men mutinied and took the San Antón back to Betibo. It never returned. The Santa Maria de Gracia was the only ship to make it to Hispaniola to tell the tale of the first European interactions with the Muyska. In the journals of Balboa and Bastidas both mention the poor state of the San Anton because of hull decay. It’s possible that at some point the mutineers had to abandon the ship or that they went after the treasures of Betibo and were there defeated in battle. As the Muyska were forever after hostile to Europeans, the latter is the most probable.

On his return, Rodrigo de Bastidas immediately began organizing another expedition. He wanted to right the wrongs of his men and establish peaceful trade with this new prosperous empire of “civilized indios”. Unfortunately for him, he was caught up in a legal battle with Alonso de Ojeda who claimed the legal right explore the region further, being the first to receive a royal license. Ojeda proved more popular with the authorities in Hispaniola and so won the unofficial support of Governor Bobadilla, while Bastidas was given a sizable pension to keep him from interfering. Rodrigo de Bastidas would return to South America only many years later, and in the meantime became a rich cattle owner in Santo Domingo.

AlonsoDeOjeda.jpg

Alonso de Ojeda

By January of 1502 Alonso de Ojeda had assembled a war fleet. With five caravels, four hundred men, ten horses and six cannons, it was amazing that the small Spanish colony had been able to fund it all. The gold and emeralds that Bastidas had brought back to Santo Domingo had whetted the appetites of the Spanish and also brought support from nobility back in the Patria. Very few healthy men wanted to stay behind at Hispaniola to defend plantations from constant indio raids when there was a wealthy heathen civilization just to the south that they could steal from. Many went to the Caribbean colonies with dreams of making a fortune, and attacking the Muyska seemed at the time the fastest way to do so…

---
[1] At OTL Santa Marta.

[2] The Chesapeake.

[3] The Arawaks.

The Mississippian culture is fascinating - a Mesoamerican-inspired group in the heart of North America. That certainly doesn't bode well for the Haudenosaunee, among others.

There's all sorts of interesting stuff going on here, Hnau! Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
Ganesha

NothingNow

Banned
There's aways something fun. The Cannibalism bit with the Mississippians doesn't strike me as a good way to control disease.

Hnau

Banned
Thanks Diez Mil Cantos for that nice compliment, I totally didn't see it when you posted it. :)

The Mississippians were cannibalized raw flesh before the "Kisses of the Earth Spirits" (aka spots from pneumonic Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever) started appearing, but after a generation or two dealing with that plague they started cooking most of the human beings they eat. Which doesn't stop the Mississippians from occasionally picking up the disease, but eliminates most transmissions.

What happened to this!? I can't find the original Bronze Age New World, now it's lost forever and those like myself who come after will never see it!

It seems that knowledge can die even on the internet. What a shame.

Well if there is any interest in restarting this TL. i think that there are a to of us who would welcome it.
And here I thought it might be a reboot.

Hnau

Banned
Didn't seem like the community was receptive to it at the time. I could write more. I also have a lot of saved info about the original.

Didn't seem like the community was receptive to it at the time. I could write more. I also have a lot of saved info about the original.

I can't speak for the community, I'm new, but this is so cool! I'm always one for detailed ATLs like this.

I would love to see this timeline continued or rebooted. I would be willing to contribute when I can. I'm just hard for time right how at least until after the new year.

Sorry for not speaking up at the time... I found this timeline most interesting and would love to see it resurrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.