Map Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... I have a fairly almost finished map of a Axis-win scenario.

Basically, the Allies end up helping Finland against the Soviets, alienating the USSR further and forcing them into more treaties with the Nazis. The Nazis have a somewhat different que of high up officials, which means Hitler is talked out of invading the USSR. So, soon the Nazis have taken most of Europe, with allies and or puppets in Hungary, Romania, Italy, Croatia, Spain, Portugal, and France. The untermensch work camps have all by now been removed from play; The majority of the remaining lesser people have been sent to Lappland in order to work on mass producing minerals and from those weaponry. Interestingly, this area has been allowed some freedom, not quite a puppet but also not part of Grossdeutschland*. They have their own leaders and a much better quality of life over the work camps, but various Fascist police forces still enforce everything, all borders are closed, and the 'economy' is closely controlled.

Shown is Grossdeutschland a year after the end of WW2. WW2 was ended when the Nazi's super long range weaponry of several kinds, including biologic missiles and kamikaze planes which could reach as far as Northern
Scotland from France, where all trained on various cities in Britain; the UK being the only major ally left, except perhaps Canada or the Free French. Being faced with such a possibility as having the entire government and the airforce destroyed, the UK surrendered. Now, a year later, WW2 is over in the west. However, Bulgaria and Turkey, not being Allies, are still being ransacked, while Italy, Germany, Spain, and Portugal still wish to remove the occupation in their colonies. South Africa is also still at war with various British colonies and protectorates.

The US had only recently declared war on Japan, and this was after the Japanese had been removed from the Axis after attacking the USSR. Japan still thinks itself invincible, but the US is waking up. Things are bound to come to a possibly nuclear head there, but how could the Axis care? After all, they are at war with Japan, if in name only for all but the Soviets.
The above is just certain unorganized thoughts, not the actual storyline... I'm going to finish the bits which need finishing on the map, post that, and then maybe a map series...? No, I'm not sure why I posted this little clipping...
*=So, therefore, not shown here.

12.png

I did, the ASBness of the scenario is what is confusing/annoying me.

It's already an ASB scenario, based on an existing work of fiction. Since the spiral was deliberately part of the concept, and implemented with reference to actual geography, it's hardly fucked-up or retarded. You should read the post in future.

After reading through a devastating critique of the book with an eye to trying to improve the gender politics/character realism of my own stuff, I felt like slapping together a map of Panem from The Hunger Games, mostly based on this version. Panem is the successor state to the USA following global catastrophe, absurd sea level rises, earthquakes out the wazoo, etc. The capitol by all accounts is Denver, with the Districts (sparsely inhabited - the major cities seem to have been largely abandoned) spiralling around it like the Incan Empire. In canon, District 13 was supposedly wiped out by capitol forces after a rebellion and left desolate, however in reality a covert agreement was made to allow the survivors to live mostly free of the tenuously revived federal government. I've seen DC and Philadelphia suggested as the site of the rebel capitol, mostly for the irony value, but given the sea level rises Syracuse seemed the best bet (the location also works well for the nuclear connection).

Other than the first 3 Districts around Denver it looks nice.

It's already an ASB scenario, based on an existing work of fiction. Since the spiral was deliberately part of the concept, and implemented with reference to actual geography, it's hardly fucked-up or retarded. You should read the post in future.

I did.

I realise that the scenario is ASB fiction, but I think that the creator of that fiction is a complete fuckwit for deciding on the spiral shape, which is just completely retarded IMO.

I'm not criticising SReagan, just the concept.

Inspired by the German map a few posts above, I wanted to do a ridiculous German-wank. An early Germany (1848, perhaps) that manages to interfere in Anglo-French relations enough to cause a permanent schism between the two nations throughout the 19th Century, and is able to appease British naval supremacy while at the same time acquiring a massive colonial empire.

During the century they managed to absorb Denmark (alt. Holstein War, mayhaps), but not Greenland or Iceland (Iceland governs Greenland under British protection), Belgium (duchies of Antwerp, Wallonia and Luxembourg), the United Baltic Duchy, Poland, Austria and Bohemia-Moravia. The German royal family currently sits on the thrones of Rumania, Hungary, Lithuania and Greece.

As for colonies a recent war with France allowed the Reich to gobble up Morocco and Malagasy, but they conquered Indochina all on their own. The Philippines were grabbed from Spain during a crisis in Madrid, wherein a meteor of Tunguska proportions destroyed the Spanish capital city.

ASB, yes, but just a bit of fun with a backstory and a not-bad-looking map. I decided not to touch the Pacific but rest assured Germany is doing business there too. It's too difficult to represent that area on a map without showing just a bunch of grey and black dots. Anyway, here it is!

Edit: Some notes:
- 1st Tier autonomy is basic autonomy, where the Kasier is head of state and government.
- 2nd Tier autonomy is where the Kasier is head of state, but local monarchs/parliaments/whatever control the government.
- Special autonomy refers to places where the culture is not German enough. Basically, too difficult to keep quiet if they're on too tight a leash.
- Asia and Africa are controlled by two separate colonial offices.

Greater Germany.png

Last edited:
So... I have a fairly almost finished map of a Axis-win scenario.

Basically, the Allies end up helping Finland against the Soviets, alienating the USSR further and forcing them into more treaties with the Nazis. The Nazis have a somewhat different que of high up officials, which means Hitler is talked out of invading the USSR. So, soon the Nazis have taken most of Europe, with allies and or puppets in Hungary, Romania, Italy, Croatia, Spain, Portugal, and France. The untermensch work camps have all by now been removed from play; The majority of the remaining lesser people have been sent to Lappland in order to work on mass producing minerals and from those weaponry. Interestingly, this area has been allowed some freedom, not quite a puppet but also not part of Grossdeutschland*. They have their own leaders and a much better quality of life over the work camps, but various Fascist police forces still enforce everything, all borders are closed, and the 'economy' is closely controlled.

Shown is Grossdeutschland a year after the end of WW2. WW2 was ended when the Nazi's super long range weaponry of several kinds, including biologic missiles and kamikaze planes which could reach as far as Northern
Scotland from France, where all trained on various cities in Britain; the UK being the only major ally left, except perhaps Canada or the Free French. Being faced with such a possibility as having the entire government and the airforce destroyed, the UK surrendered. Now, a year later, WW2 is over in the west. However, Bulgaria and Turkey, not being Allies, are still being ransacked, while Italy, Germany, Spain, and Portugal still wish to remove the occupation in their colonies. South Africa is also still at war with various British colonies and protectorates.

The US had only recently declared war on Japan, and this was after the Japanese had been removed from the Axis after attacking the USSR. Japan still thinks itself invincible, but the US is waking up. Things are bound to come to a possibly nuclear head there, but how could the Axis care? After all, they are at war with Japan, if in name only for all but the Soviets.
The above is just certain unorganized thoughts, not the actual storyline... I'm going to finish the bits which need finishing on the map, post that, and then maybe a map series...? No, I'm not sure why I posted this little clipping...
*=So, therefore, not shown here.

So the Japanese, with nothing whatsoever to gain from it, attack the Soviets. Meanwhile the Germans, whose entire party program, ideology and philosophy supports an invasion of Russia, refrains from it.

Sounds good enough :p

Oh and, a Germany encompassing all continental Germanic lands would no longer be called Germany, but Germania. Großgermanisches Reich.

The capitol by all accounts is Denver, with the Districts (sparsely inhabited - the major cities seem to have been largely abandoned) spiralling around it like the Incan Empire.
I don't see how the Capital could be Denver. Didn't they get there from the east via a tunnel?

I only recently decided to try something else, specifically for that one ability. I like MSPaint because I can customize alt+4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 to eyetropper, spill tool, zoom, pencil, and eraser, respectively. I've gotten very fast at map editing.

Other programs also have hotkeys, but I haven't found one that lets me customize them like that. Also, I love being able to use shift+click to make straight lines with the pencil. If I could do that in Paint.net, I'd shit my pants with joy.

Also I find MSPaint much easier to use when I want to superimpose something over something else, but in many applications I need to use both (like putting the sub-national borders from the subnat map over the most recent USC map that doesn't have them). Simply delete every color off the map except the one used for sub-national borders, save, open in paint, copy, and paste over the USC map and move into place:
View attachment 172960
I still haven't decided what to do about the sub-national borders over the EU border...

I hate those kinds of maps, but they are useful

I just think the sub nat borders clutter it up too much.

So the Japanese, with nothing whatsoever to gain from it, attack the Soviets. Meanwhile the Germans, whose entire party program, ideology and philosophy supports an invasion of Russia, refrains from it.

Sounds good enough :p

Oh and, a Germany encompassing all continental Germanic lands would no longer be called Germany, but Germania. Großgermanisches Reich.

No, but finding Soviet weapons being used by one of your major headaches, namely Communist China, as well as claiming several small islands which are being held by said Soviets where just enough for war.

The aforementioned Nazi officials are thinking of strategies here, not of the ideology. This is not to say that they won't be invading, just not now. Once the various Wunderwaffe have been re-situated on the border, and various other matters, such as the fate of Syria and whether or not to push claims on Cameroon, have been wound up, they will most certainly invade. Might bite off some of Switzerland while they are at it, too.

Notice how I only said Germany once, slip of the tongue.

After reading through a devastating critique of the book with an eye to trying to improve the gender politics/character realism of my own stuff, I felt like slapping together a map of Panem from The Hunger Games, mostly based on this version. Panem is the successor state to the USA following global catastrophe, absurd sea level rises, earthquakes out the wazoo, etc. The capitol by all accounts is Denver, with the Districts (sparsely inhabited - the major cities seem to have been largely abandoned) spiralling around it like the Incan Empire. In canon, District 13 was supposedly wiped out by capitol forces after a rebellion and left desolate, however in reality a covert agreement was made to allow the survivors to live mostly free of the tenuously revived federal government. I've seen DC and Philadelphia suggested as the site of the rebel capitol, mostly for the irony value, but given the sea level rises Syracuse seemed the best bet (the location also works well for the nuclear connection).

Weird: is most of Greenland that high above sea level?

So - when will we be seeing that messed-up Axis victory world?

puppy_eyes-2.jpg

Inspired by the German map a few posts above, I wanted to do a ridiculous German-wank. An early Germany (1848, perhaps) that manages to interfere in Anglo-French relations enough to cause a permanent schism between the two nations throughout the 19th Century, and is able to appease British naval supremacy while at the same time acquiring a massive colonial empire.

During the century they managed to absorb Denmark (alt. Holstein War, mayhaps), but not Greenland or Iceland (Iceland governs Greenland under British protection), Belgium (duchies of Antwerp, Wallonia and Luxembourg), the United Baltic Duchy, Poland, Austria and Bohemia-Moravia. The German royal family currently sits on the thrones of Rumania, Hungary, Lithuania and Greece.

As for colonies a recent war with France allowed the Reich to gobble up Morocco and Malagasy, but they conquered Indochina all on their own. The Philippines were grabbed from Spain during a crisis in Madrid, wherein a meteor of Tunguska proportions destroyed the Spanish capital city.

ASB, yes, but just a bit of fun with a backstory and a not-bad-looking map. I decided not to touch the Pacific but rest assured Germany is doing business there too. It's too difficult to represent that area on a map without showing just a bunch of grey and black dots. Anyway, here it is!

Edit: Some notes:
- 1st Tier autonomy is basic autonomy, where the Kasier is head of state and government.
- 2nd Tier autonomy is where the Kasier is head of state, but local monarchs/parliaments/whatever control the government.
- Special autonomy refers to places where the culture is not German enough. Basically, too difficult to keep quiet if they're on too tight a leash.
- Asia and Africa are controlled by two separate colonial offices.

Very nice, makes me think of a half-decent history textbook.

The height of classical human civilization, before the Slow Death burst forth from Africa. The slow death was a sort of airborn HIV, so people could be contagious for long periods before showing symptoms. Overall death toll was upwards of 60% of humanity.

oursimempire.png

After a bit of a dry spell, maps are coming. Two more in the works, and then there's this one, which is another of my "covers", this time of an old map by, I think, Looseheadprop.

A Mongol cheiftan took his horde on a somewhat different route, certain germs were not transferred, and the timing of the black plague was disrupted. It still ravaged Eurasia, but some died which did not OTL, and other lived which OTL died. Butterflies ensued, including...

- The Ming keep sailing, and discover America
- The Ottomans don't have the run of first-rate rulers they did OTL, although crippled Constantinople still falls in the end
- The Portuguese are the first Europeans to America
- A different (and somewhat more long-lived) *Mughals

The Ming still ended being overrun by the Qing (advances in land warfare not having kept up with those in naval military tech), but a Ming heir and Ming loyalists a' plenty fled to the new world. Since their right to the Mandate of Heaven is challenged by a Ming realm in the Americas, the Qing have built navies of their own and tried to conquer the Empire of the Golden Dawn, but logistics have been against them in spite of superior numbers.

It's 1800 now, and the world's greatest powers are generally acknowledged to be the British (undergoing an industrial revolution as OTL), the Qing, and the Latter Ming. The Ming Empire is somewhat oligarchic, with the Emperor as King Log rather than stork, and the immigrant Chinese (and native Americans, and Europeans, and Japanese, and Russians...the Ming are always happy for new warm bodies to decrease the Qing's numerical advantage) have created a remarkeable new cultural flowering (indeed, some of their scholars, with the help of translated European documents, are getting rather dangerously close to a scientific revolution of their own, something the Europeans really should keep an eye on. The Qing are similar than OTL, but haven't let their gunpowder armies decay, and maintain a predominant naval presence in the Indian and west Pacific Oceans: they have a hands-off attitude towards foreign wars, as long as Chinese naval shipping and Chinese merchants are allowed to go about their business unmolested, but in practice have found themselves forced into the postion of local Sheriff more than once. Britain has managed to integrate the American colonies into their version (somewhat different than OTL) of parliamentary government without serious explosions, and is ahead in technological and industrial technique, but as yet numbers still count.

Generally, with the Sinosphere rather more involved in the greater world, technological technique if not hard science is generally a bit ahead of OTL: medical science is also more advanced, and a more developed tropical medicine is leading to an earlier European penetration of Africa and greater development if Spanish tropical America.

Second rank powers include the Spanish, the French, the Russians and the Muscati Union, an oligarchic mercantile, federal state (increasingly dominated by its African bits) which has been very skilled in keeping up with the Jonses technologically and in terms of political organization is in some ways more sophisticated than most European states. The Mughals might count as a first-rank power if more outward-looking, but they are mostly concerned with holding what they have, and holding the Chinese, British and Russians at bay. They have little naval power, largely subcontracting that to the Muscatis...

(The large, hyphenated Eastern European states are likewise rather regional and concerned with 1. holding together and 2. Keeping out the Russians. )

Unrest is on the rise. An earlier introduction of New World products has led to an earlier population boom in China, and famine and shortages are on the rise: the latest Qing emperor reluctantly put an end to the ban on immigration to the Dawn Empire to help reduce population pressures, in spite of the implications of the _other_ Chinese emperor being able to feed his people while he can't. In the Ming vassaldom of Mezic, the locals are unhappy with the floods of new Chinese immigrants, fearing that they will become outnumbered in their own lands and directly absorbed into the Empire proper. France, as always, plots against Spain. Russia looks to expand south against Persia. And the Mamluk empire of Egypt, which expanded hugely into inner Africa in the last century, is now suffering from internal unrest, plague, and an ineffectual sultan: several powers are now looking on it as a turkey to be carved up...

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.