Duck and Cover! An American Spinoff of Protect and Survive.

PART X: FROM ASHES

[FONT=&quot]DUCK AND COVER

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PART X: From Ashes

[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Recommended Listening:

[/FONT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr-BYVeCv6U&feature=related

[FONT=&quot]Beneath the Greenbrier hotel in West Virginia is a secret bunker, which houses the United States congress in case of Emergency. These are their stories.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]*The Congressman woke up to the sound of a stretcher being opened. He looked over with mute dismay as a handful of medical personnel rolled the body off of its bunk, and an Army Chaplain muttered prayers. They orderlies left the darkened room a limp arm trailing behind them.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The Congressman walked over to the empty bunk. The blanket lay half open on the bed, a green coarse shapeless mass. It was a pity that such a man had to die enveloped by it. He folded the blanket back and straightened up the bunk, fluffed the pillow, and only then noticed the small crowd behind him.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“That makes three, right?” someone asked, a shapeless voice in the darkness.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“So far three, a fourth doesn’t look too far off.” A silhouette of a doctor answered from the doorway, his long shadow filling the light that leaked into the room.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]*The Aide was making his way through the breakfast line. The cramped cafeteria was quickly filling with other staff and a few early rising representatives, or ones who hadn’t slept at all. The murmuring and small quiet and secret conversations all relayed the same message; three representatives had died in the night. Two had died of heart trouble, and the third. “Was an apparent suicide, hung himself right in the middle of the room. Hanged himself off of one of the lamps with his belt.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“I heard the one that killed himself was from Rhode Island.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“No, he was a Rep from Florida, I was assigned the same room.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Well Florida did take the first hit, a missile from Cuba apparently.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Good god, I thought there weren’t any there since ’62.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Well they had one…”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The Aide grabbed a plastic tray, and picked the cheep silverware out of its buckets. He wandered past more worried voices, surrounded only by rumors.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]*The Signalman sat by the Telex machine and watched as the ticker of paper rapidly spat out. It was a message from NORAD at Cheyenne Mountain. The last accurate list of targets compiled as Arctic radars tracked the Soviet bombs as they made their arcs across the stratosphere. He watched in horror as the writer clicked faster and faster, the paper flying out foot by foot, coming to a messy pile on the floor.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]He sat there for nearly an hour transfixed. Names of States, cities, and military bases all blurred together:

ALABAMA…

BRONX (CTY)…

FT DRUM (MB)…

It was horrifying and hypnotizing at the same time.

State…

City…

Military Base…

City…

Military Base…Military Base…State. Again and again, and again.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The writer was still clicking, the tape was still spewing. But the paper was blank. It yelled at him in the quiet, empty room.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] Nothing!

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Nothing!

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Nothing!

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]*The Congressman was making his way down the halls to the cafeteria, when out of nowhere a series of gunshots rang out. Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Immediately the Signal Corps guards rushed past him, shotguns and pistols at the ready. He quickly followed them, and as they lined up by the closed door, the Congressman shoved the door open and strode confidently in.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Mr. Congressman! Don’t!” one of the soldiers shouted, belatedly flinging his arm out to stop the Congressman.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The Congressman stood, struck still, in the middle of the room. There sitting on a wooden chair in front of a Telex machine was a soldier his pistol sat in his quivering hands, the slide back, and an empty expression on his face.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]*“What was that?” the Kid asked, rolling over in the bed.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Mmmmh” the girl said, wrapping her arms around him.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“No seriously, I think I heard gunshots.” Pulling on his jeans, he stumbled into his shoes and threw on a shirt.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Pulling the blackout curtains back, he wondered, had he really heard gunshots. He studied the “back lawn” it didn’t look like the end of the world, just… overcast. The Kid ran his head through his hair, he must be hearing things.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Something was wrong he knew it. Not knowing the hotel too well, the Kid made his way toward the front hall.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“What the hell?”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]*“The Telex machine is ruined, and look here,” the technician pointed to a jumble of broken wires, “I think he took out the main power to the room.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Who the fuck designed this room?” the captain asked.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Probably some guy in the 50’s, the lowest bidder.” The technician murmered.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“So if I understand you correctly, all the communications are dead, at least in this room?”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Yeah.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Can’t we move these?”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Maybe, would you like to haul nearly an 800 lb radio captain?”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Well figure it out.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Yes sir.”

The technicians figured he’d give it a go and then give up. No way were these machines moving. And anyway the cable to the discreet antenna was severed and ONLY in this room. The Bunker was alone.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]*The Congress had assembled in their assigned room. Cleanly by party lines, the representatives sat shock still in their assigned seats, the empty spot glaring in the harsh light of the fluorescent lamps.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The speaker stood at the podium at the front of the cramped room. To the Congressman it seemed more intimate and more disconcerting at the same time. The representatives were practically rubbing elbows.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“I would like to bring today to an open.” The Speaker started.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Second.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Just quit with the stinking formalities.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Clashing and assenting murmurs flooded across the room.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The echo of the gavel and the room quieted.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Alright no formalities today due to emergency circumstances. Now on to the important things, Representative Pepper died last night. Unknown causes as of right now. One of his aides will fill in his seat tomorrow.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Mr. Speaker! Mr. Speaker!” all semblance of formality was now thrown out the window.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Yes.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“I propose that all bills in session before February 21st, 1984 be tabled.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]From the back, a handful of voices in near unison.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Second!”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Motion has passed.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Someone else piped up.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Sir, I propose a bill to suspend habeas corpus due to the emergency.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Do you want to declare a State of Emergency?”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Uh well yes.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Mr. Speaker, What does that define?” A third voice.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“You mean what?”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“What does State of Emergency mean?”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Dozens of people were now near yelling trying to get their say in.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Congress was back in session.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]*The Senate was much more sedate the Aide thought, leaving the House and making his way down the hall, he stopped in and listened to the discussion going on inside. Nearly 100 clear headed voices were discussing the Nebraska Problem.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“I propose that we have them vote in absentee, and if they cannot be reached, I am sure some of the aides from other Midwestern states will be willing to fill in.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“I would like to second that Mr. President.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Motion passed, someone will have to tell the House. After they get quieted down in there.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The joke did not go over well, the room remained silent.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Mr. President, is there an accurate map of the strikes compiled yet?”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“No, as of right now our Signalmen friends are currently working on one based on NORAD’s last Telex. It may take them a while to get every strike mapped, give them time, it should be done by tomorrow at the latest.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Thank you sir.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]*The Kid quietly entered the front hall. There a woman’s body was draped with a blanket, surrounded by a small crowd, her feet just poked out from under the blanket. The Girl ran up behind him and with a start grabbed his hand.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Murdered.” Someone murmured.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Oh my god.” she whispered.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]A Sergeant walked in and immediately looked from the body to the knot of people.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Who did this?”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Not me,” the Businessman replied. “I just walked in this morning and saw the body there.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Mother came quickly down the stairs. “WHERE WERE YOU LAST NIGHT?”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The Kid blushed and dropped the Girl’s hand. The Girl looked down ashamed.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Oh!” and with dawning understanding Mother fainted.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]One of the women detached herself from the knot. “I’m a Doctor. Someone get a pillow.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The Sergeant ran off to get a pillow.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Good god a murder! The first at the Greenbrier.” a Maid piped up.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The Sergeant returned with a pillow.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“How many people are in the Hotel?” the Businessman asked.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Besides my men, about 12 guests.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“That’s all of the civilians you got out of DC!” The Businessman was fuming.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The Sergeant was indignant “This was the overflow site for the families most are in safe houses closer to DC. You few were unlucky enough to get shuttled down here.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“That’s no fucking excuse, those people who were left near DC are dead and you know it!”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The Doctor looked up “Shut up the both of you. Sergeant could you please have your men make sure that no one leaves the hotel, we do have a murder on our hands.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Gladly, but it wouldn’t do too good.” He spoke quickly into his microphone.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Code Black.” The sound of dozens of pairs of boots running through the hotel, started almost instantly.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Why?” The Girl asked. The Kid looked over astonished.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Why what?” The Sergeant asked.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Why won’t it do too good?” The Girl asked impatiently.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Why won’t it do too good? The killer could have fled and be out in the Exclusion zone by now. That’s why.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Give me a break,” the Girl shot back “no way I would be running out there in the middle of a nuclear war, are you fucking stupid? They’re still here."

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Well I can vouch for the house staff. We were all in out quarters all night. I know, I couldn’t sleep.” The Maid said. “Can’t we call the police?”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Do you know what EXCLUSION ZONE means?” the Sergeant sarcastically spat. “It means no people outside of the hotel for nearly 20 miles. That means no police.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The Businessman folded the blanket off and back onto the deceased’s face. He looked around the group with a determined look on his face.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Call every guest down for breakfast. We have to figure out who killed this woman.”

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]*The Congressmen and women made their way into the cafeteria, with the tables stowed, it was the only room big enough fit all of the representatives at once.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Posted on the wall opposite of the chow line was a map of the United States, huge if covered most of the wall. Thousands of red dots were posted across the continent.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]One of the congressmen from Rhode Island began to cry, Ted Kennedy walked up and placed his hand on the younger man’s shoulder and guided him to a seat.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The world was over.

*"When will we tell them that we can't contact the outside world?" The Speaker asked. He, the President Pro Tem and the signal corps Captain were alone in the room.

"We can't let them know too soon, there will be a riot. But if we tell them too late there will be a riot." said the Captain wryly.

[/FONT]

Last edited:
good update. Im wondering why the aides were being allowed to step in?

like the new font size. better for reading on a screen. ive got twenty-twenty vision but i probably wont have much longer if i keep reading about the 84 war

Good update. I really enjoyed it.

Good Ideas! While the Western Reserve is an absolutely brilliant idea and I too can't see the Ohio representatives & senators agreeing to it. It be taking too much of their power away, as Cleveland is where the US will restart.

But the rest of the surviving congress would be keen to get the city in federal hands, perhaps they create the Western Reserve as a federal district?

The Puerto Rico idea is cool, but seeing as we don't have contact with Alaska and Hawaii yet, it may be awhile before they are reached. And even then it is iffy if they would be happy with coming back to the US fold.

Wouldn't creating it as a Federal District mean no representation in Congress for them? Hardly a pleasant solution.

I could see the federal government trying to force Ohio to let go of the Western Reserve, under the logic that the state would overwhelm every other in Presidential and House elections. How the state would respond depends on who is at the helm. Congress really does not need Ohio questioning its authority right now or trying to obstruct its rulings.

Then again, you could take a page from Jackson during the Toledo War and refuse the state aid until they submit.

Also, here's a suggestion on Military Districts for the northeastern segment of the country. I wasn't really sure what to do with Maine.

a2spH.png

good update. Im wondering why the aides were being allowed to step in?

like the new font size. better for reading on a screen. ive got twenty-twenty vision but i probably wont have much longer if i keep reading about the 84 war

A State of Emergency probably allows them to bend the rules. Seeing as how the constitution states that only the constitutents in the district can vote a new congressman into the House, perhaps they could say "well the only constituents they can reach are you, you and you. Vote for the new congressman. Him! Him! Me!" Settled.

Also I also like the new font size, scrolling is silly, but reading it is so much easier.

Good update. I really enjoyed it.

Wouldn't creating it as a Federal District mean no representation in Congress for them? Hardly a pleasant solution.

I could see the federal government trying to force Ohio to let go of the Western Reserve, under the logic that the state would overwhelm every other in Presidential and House elections. How the state would respond depends on who is at the helm. Congress really does not need Ohio questioning its authority right now or trying to obstruct its rulings.

Then again, you could take a page from Jackson during the Toledo War and refuse the state aid until they submit.

Also, here's a suggestion on Military Districts for the northeastern segment of the country. I wasn't really sure what to do with Maine.

a2spH.png

I like the theory about Ohio and Cleveland. While they may fight, cry, and perhaps rebel, Cleveland will not be able to survive in its current state for very long. The rest of Congress, the fugees, and any NG troops that can get to Cleveland could solve that problem. Might be a logistical nightmare though. Invading Cleveland.

I like your federal district map. It cuts the NE into manageable chunks, and I assume the parts of the states that you left grey are indeed areas of continuous state government. They should be able to govern with some degree of autonomy and security.

As to the representation in Congress, I believe the solution will be this. No, sorry but no representation. There are no people to represent, no elections to be held. Letting those people keep power would be the equivalent of having consuls for life. Not a good prospect for post-strike normalicy.

Perhaps Ted Kennedy can convince some Rhode Islanders and Conneticutians to create a super New England state comprising of Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and perhaps to spice things up Long Island? Could lead quicker admittance to the union, as 60,000 people could grow much faster across all the territory combined as opposed as trying to get 60k people in Rhode Island. Probably not happening for decades if not centuries.

Any other comments, questions, ideas or concerns?

-Gen_Patton

Might be a logistical nightmare though. Invading Cleveland.
The idea of 'The Siege of Cleveland' is something so thoroughly bizarre to me that I have no idea how to respond. It could happen though if the city government pushes the feds too hard. They've got the high ground now, but not for long.

The culture there after the emergency is going to be so ridiculously weird. It gives me a headache to even think about it.

The idea of 'The Siege of Cleveland' is something so thoroughly bizarre to me that I have no idea how to respond. It could happen though if the city government pushes the feds too hard. They've got the high ground now, but not for long.

The culture there after the emergency is going to be so ridiculously weird. It gives me a headache to even think about it.

To me the siege will be less of an external thing, the NG reference was an ASB like suggestion (definitely looked stupid after I typed it), but an internal revolt. Almost a million starving fugees outside of the wall an those inside acting like massive bandits, stealing enough to replicate a shadow of the pre war world. Class warfare of the Marxian kind will turn real bad during the winter. It's the only plausible outcome. Funny how this happened after the fall of the only Communist countries.

Culture on the on the other hand is quite interesting. A combination of 1990's pessimism with pure depression is most likley. Ripe time for everyone's favorite grunge band from Aberdeen WA to take the stand! (I kid, I kid, don't kill me!) However on a more serious note, culture will take years to develop, for a long time we will resemble the lost generation after WWI, unsure of where we were or where we will be going. Interesting to see if Steven King survives (he lives in Maine does he not?)

A large backlash against the harsher measures of the governments (especially the not so smart ones) will happen with 20-20 hindsight, however things will normalize in a decade or two, but The War will probably be scarred in our collective memories forever.

Of course the main question is how many people can actually know a national state of emergency is in effect.You would need some kind of system to transmit to the whole country this statement.Considering the fact that many regions at this point are wiped out and many others are trying to put themselves back together.Plus you cannot declare something like this without some kind of enforcement.What do they have at this point when it comes to army,police, national guard how do you move them from point to point,how do you establish who gets priority over who.Do you abandon for example Missouri residents to die because for all intents and purposes there is little if anything that can be done for them and concentrate on Oregon residents who have a better chance.In practical terms yes but are the representatives from Missouri willing to abandon their constituents same for other states like Missouri.

As to the representation in Congress, I believe the solution will be this. No, sorry but no representation. There are no people to represent, no elections to be held. Letting those people keep power would be the equivalent of having consuls for life. Not a good prospect for post-strike normalicy.

-Gen_Patton
I'm not a legal expert, but it would be necessary to reapportion the seats until a new census was made, unless this was done with the pre-war values (discounting for the population of the destroyed areas), to avoid having empty seats and quorum problems.
The representatives of the nuked areas could be kept for the duration of the legislature (or until new elections are held), unless constitutional amendments are made to make the congress elected by the state legislatures (but this would be hard to pull).

Keep it up, Gen_Patton!:)

Beneath the Greenbrier hotel in West Virginia is a secret bunker, which houses the United States congress in case of Emergency. These are their stories.

Rather reminiscent of the opening narration of the various iterations of Law and Order. :D
The chapter reminds us all that even for Congressmen life after the Bomb will not be easy. Plus you've got a murder mystery (where was Ted Kennedy at the time? :p).

Good update Patton!

The Congress has a huge mess on its hands if communication can't be reestablished soon enough.

On a somewhat unrelated note what do you think happened to Samantha Smith.For those of you not up to date she was a 12 year old girl who became famous for her anti-war activism in the early 80's.She died in 1985 in an airplane crash.In this timeline she was already famous by 1983.Any guesses about what she did during the build-up to war and whether she survived the exchange or not.

On a somewhat unrelated note what do you think happened to Samantha Smith.For those of you not up to date she was a 12 year old girl who became famous for her anti-war activism in the early 80's.She died in 1985 in an airplane crash.In this timeline she was already famous by 1983.Any guesses about what she did during the build-up to war and whether she survived the exchange or not.

"Samantha's Story", if done by someone who does their research and is familiar w/this alt-1984 universe, would make for an interesting story.

No way I can cover such a personal story so well, Chipperback is your best bet, but seeing how out TL's are such a work as of now... it may never get done.

However her chances of surviving (didn't she live in Massachusetts?) are pretty slim. As she would still be a young girl, she will be susceptible to diseases, and starvation will be much more severe on her than an adult. Sadly I have a feeling that she will become one of the nameless casualties in the war.

for what it's worth, Baltimore is very, very close to Washington DC, barely an hour drive.

High-value targets in Maryland, not including Washington, D.C.:

Andrews Air Force Base, Camp Springs. Bye bye Prince George's County.

Fort Meade, Maryland (headquarters of the National Security Agency)

Baltimore-Washington International Airport (may have been Friendship Airport then; I can't remember)

Harbor of Baltimore: major port with capacity to load and unload troops and cargo

Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Aberdeen, Maryland

Camp David, Maryland

Patuxent Naval Air Station, in southern Maryland.

Annapolis might be spared, but it will get loads of radiation from the north and west.

Fredrick: same situation.

In addition, Site R, Mount Weather, the Pentagon, DC, National Airport, Quantico, Fort Belvoir, and perhaps Richmond will contribute to the radiation.

I forgot three additional targets, one of which would make Annapolis a target: the transmitting towers for submarine communication at NAA in Annapolis, and the receiving towers in Cheltenham with the callsign NSS. Cheltenham might be destroyed by the same bombs that get Andrews. I also forgot about Fort Detrick and the biological warfare center there.

PART XI: THE HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN

[FONT=&quot]DUCK AND COVER[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]PART XI: THE HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The news found its way back to Georgia by a variety of means. Radio chatter first, followed by word of mouth. The rumors flew like wildfire. And out of the swirling rumors, a story emerged.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Farmer wasn’t returning. Killed by something, there was a crash. Some of the Brits were dead as well. President Reagan was also dead, natural causes, quietly in his sleep.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And so, with their greatest victory came their greatest defeat. The racists had fled back into the backwoods and swamps from which they had come, vowing to fight another day. Yet, the Farmer and the British delegation wouldn’t be returning to Georgia.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Three days after was the official speech.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“We must remember every loss is great! And every life is important! America cannot survive without emotion! We all have been through so much, surviving what we shouldn’t have. We like a phoenix will rise from the ashes! America will one day be great again! Lest we forget, today shall be a new holiday, Remembrance Day, a day to look back and cry. To weep. To come to terms with our grief. The Secretary was breaking into tears, his voice choking, his body rattling with pain. It is a day to remember.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Not a dry eye was seen that day. Grown men bawled in the streets. Weeks of pent up emotion erupted in a single day. Thousands of hands created a monument, thousands of white crosses in a soccer field, as others carried a black casket for the Farmer.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A large crowd followed the casket symbolically assigned to the Farmer. Marching nearly 20 miles in the hot sun, all of the citizens together carried the Casket to the site of the monument. Fugees marched aside locs, convicts, state troopers, 82nd boys. Each took a turn holding the weighted casket. Young children each took their turn. Their proud faces grimacing with pain as they too took their turn. This new world was for them.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A funeral was held. A mass kneeled down each next to a cross, their heads bowed in fervent prayer. A small group worked frantically, and a grave was dug. The casket was lowered. And the dirt was thrown in by hand. A still swelling crowd throwing in the dirt one handful at a time. Silently they marched past to pay their respects.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The grave was filled within minutes and every hour or so, was dug fresh again allowing most everyone to get a turn.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Farmer’s funeral was not a funeral for one man, but a million. A funeral for their friends and families. A funeral for strangers they had never met. It was a funeral for each survivor too, a funeral for the world that they had collectively destroyed.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The monument still stands as it did that day. 4,328 hastily constructed, crude white crosses, with a single grave in the middle. The headstone stands at midfield, and at either end, rusting goal posts still stand, their faded netting slowly fluttering in the breeze.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But the funeral wasn’t the only thing happening around Georgia. Contact had, since the beginning of the War been continuous with what remained of Alabama, and Tennessee. With a formal ceremony in Rome, the Alabama government based out of Tuscaloosa was recognized by the Roman government.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tennessee was a much more complicated situation. Like many of the Appalachian states, their curse would prove to be the savior of the Deep Southern states. Their mountainous terrain prevented many refugees from making their ways south. So they stayed.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The refugees in Kentucky, Tennessee, and West Virginia were some of the worst off. Too little land, not enough food, combined with most of the refugees heavily irradiated from the Mid-Western strikes. The fallout patterns lay heavily on the Appalachian states, which received some of the worst fallout in any state.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With the overflow of refugees, the lack of any remnant of government control, and the lethal levels of fallout rendered the states almost anarchy. While there were some county seats left, there was no organization. The problems with dealing with the refugees as well as the following massive food shortages rendered the creation of any statewide base of power or order nonexistent.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Georgia decided to pick up the slack. MOPP suited soldiers, followed by trucks and carts with food, began to cross the border and began reconstruction. The initial operations were small and slight. A handful of cans here, a board thrown across a creek there, but progress was being made. They were heading north.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*The Klan pulled his gas mask hood off and stared at the truck that they had just run across. It was fucking government. The fucktards in Rome thought them dead. Give us some time, he thought, give us some time.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]They were making their way south, toward more friendly country.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Toward a safe place, the swamps, the marshes, the worst parts of the state, were they could never be followed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There was something strange about this truck, he thought. The white van had government plates and across the side was painted “CDC.” Opening the back he found a weird stainless steel cylinder with the biohazard warning painted in orange paint on the side.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Picking up a clipboard off of the corpse’s hand he read the first word and threw his gas mask back on.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]SMALLPOX.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Someone! Get! The! BOSS! NOW!”[/FONT]