Duck and Cover! An American Spinoff of Protect and Survive.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]DUCK AND COVER[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Part IX: Black Gold[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gasoline is the Ichor of the American titan. The superpower was twice brought to its knees by counties and organizations that by no other means could. Gas lines stretched for miles, people sitting in the hot sun waiting for their turn to buy some overpriced gasoline. Our military could not walk, let alone run without out gas. Our houses were made livable by its application in heating. Medical miracles were brought about by the application of crude oil into plastics. Our farms were run on oil. Oil is the lifeblood of America.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And in America there is no bigger oil culture than that in Texas. Based out of the Midland-Odessa area, massive drilling rigs and platforms exploded since the discovery of oil in the early late 1800’s. Americans pioneered many techniques including off shore drilling and massive refineries. The most powerful company in the world was Standard Oil, an American oil monopoly. For decades, America was the world leader in oil production. However, competition from other countries with more oil and newer equipment quickly overtook the early American lead. By the 1980’s, America had lost its dominance in the world oil market.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yet in Texas the drilling culture remained strong. Most ranches had pumpjacks in their fields, and local refineries were scattered across the state. Texaco remained a major local employer and hundreds of new pumps were still erected every year. New pipelines were still being built and in the Gulf of Mexico oil rigs were built and run by Americans. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oil fields in Texas are divided into two main groups, East and West. The East field is centered in Tyler and the West centered around Midland and Odessa respectively. Out of the two, the West is far larger and far more famous than the East.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But with nuclear strikes after The War it was unclear what kind of condition the drilling fields were in. Had the Soviets turned the fields into glass, in an attempt to cripple our industry? The dual bombings on both Odessa and Midland had rendered communications with the fields sporadic if not non-existent. Every once and a while scratchy radio pleas for help were heard, but besides a few preliminary flights early after the war was over, very little contact had been made.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]However luckily for the oil industry, only one strike materialized in East Texas, Texarkana, and it was out of the way of many major drilling sites and pipelines. Also the only major local refinery remained intact, the Delek Refinery in Tyler. While the East Texas oil field was nowhere as large as its western sister, it remained operational. At least for Texas oil and natural gas would be abundant enough for limited civilian uses.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]But even if the Western oil fields were intact, how would the oil be transported? It was assumed that many pipelines were hit by Soviet bombs, and if there were some intact where were the leaks? Could the oil be rerouted? If so how easily? Thousands of questions surrounded the western oil field. Cleaning and repairing a pipeline was dangerous as it was, but combined with the danger of radiation the work could be suicidal.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A massive flyover was decided upon. Two weeks before OPERATION BLACK GOLD the Tyler refinery was converted to producing thousands of gallons of Aviation grade gasoline. It was then shipped to evey surviving air field, air base, and crop dusing cooperative’s home field. Every plane and pilot was being conscripted for the mission. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But most would have volunteered for the mission anyway. For weeks all flights of any kind had been grounded due to the lack of fuel and the spotty radio coverage. Most of the pilots were itching to get back into the flight seat. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]OPERATION BLACK GOLD was the largest aerial survey of the oil fields since WII. The remainder of the Texas Air National Guard and CAP would lead the operation. For two weeks the flights flew over the Western Oil Field. Thousands of photographs were taken, not just of the fields, but of every inch of pipeline in the state. Ironically this thorough of a survey would have been impossible in the pre-strike world. Too much civilian air traffic would have gotten in the way.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When the photos were developed, the map created and marked with damage, the situation looked grim. The question now was whether the oil was worth months of work and the resources. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]*The Lieutenant sat in the passenger’s seat of the pickup truck leading the convoy north. There had been an attack on the Tyler Refinery. A note was left proclaiming a holy war was being waged by the forces of Zion. The Lieutenant knew who did it. The “Wakos from Waco” were gaining force.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]*Perhaps smartly they had fled Waco after the battle. The Convert remembered the frantic packing, taking the pills and all the rushing. Within days they had set up shop in another community. Paris, Texas. It was frantic after the dramatic first week. They needed a place to lay their heads. Paris needed men with guns. They had guns.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Eventually a compromise was worked out. The Forces of Zion would patrol the area around Paris, gather food and help refugees. Paris would survive.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The compromise was mostly in the Temple’s favor. It even included an abandoned building to base their religious services and administration out of. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]No doubt it had to do with the Charisma of the Preacher. Same with the hundreds of new converts. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]They were growing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]*The truck rattled past a sign, “Welcome to Rowlett.” The Lieutenant looked over to his driver.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Private where exactly are we?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Rowlett, sir. A little way’s north of Dallas. My Uncle lives… lived here.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Silence filled the cabin for a moment. The convoy rolled down the empty main street. A handful of military pickup trucks, jeeps, and a single outdated Patton 1 tank were supposed to reinforce the local forces against the Davidians.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The convoy was to hook up with State Troopers, Texas Rangers, and local police near the town of McKinney. It was only a short ways up the road.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]*The Convert was on guard duty. The Temple had been under attack by vandals again. Across the front of the building some female volunteers furiously scrubbed the spray painted phrase in the hopes of it coming off. The paint only faded slowly. They would have to paint over the slur.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For now the writing on the wall would have to stay.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“WAKOS FROM WACO! GO HOME!” [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]*The Convoy was stopping for the night. They had stopped at a small neighborhood on the outskirts of a town called Wylie. Seis Lagos or Six Lakes it was called. More like “Six Mud Puddles” the Lieutenant thought. The neighborhood had turned into a little city state. They were receiving some support from the College Station government however the Lieutenant’s team was the first military support they had ever seen.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Where you from?” a local asked that night as they set up camp on the undeveloped half of the neighborhood. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“College Station. We’re from the new government there.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“You an Aggie?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“I was Corps of Cadets before all of this…” the Lieutenant waved his hand.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Now I’m in charge of 30 something volunteers and a tank. I’m only 19, I shouldn’t be doing this. Good God I sound like a bitch.” He shook his head sadly.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“But we all have to do what we have to do. Were you an Aggie?” he asked the old man.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The old man smiled and raised his right hand in a kind of salute, pointer and pinky extended.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Hook Em! But seeing how Austin took it on the chin, we’re all Aggies now.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Lieutenant laughed “I guess.”[/FONT]

I always wondered about the East Texas Oil Field in this TL, so I'm glad to see you included this.

We are entering my home territory, most recently I come from a small town north of Dallas. So I know what is most important about this territory. The McKinney Airport, the communities outside of Paris, the refinery in Tyler (along with UT Tyler.)

And onto a completely different topic...
--------------------------------------------------

So I've had some time to think about our earlier conversation discussing state borders after he 1986 convention.

They will obviously have to change. Perhaps only for a little while, perhaps forever.

There are some basic laws that govern statehood in the United States.

Lets start with the Basics:

• The Constitution
  • The Northwest Ordinance
The Constitution lays the basic groundwork for admission of new states. New States can not be carved out of former states without the Original state's permission.

All states have to be proposed and ratified by congress.

The Northwest Ordinance states basically that states can be admitted after they have 60,00 people.

But what does this mean for the survivors of the War?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We've established that congress survives, the judicial branch survived, and some form of the Executive branch has survived.

So things have to go through congress and the "normal way."

Now this causes some wrinkles.

Rhode Island and Maryland are practically depopulated. There is no state legislature to decide to be absorbed in a state. Congress can not go through the normal channels already established to absorb states. Also without accurate census data there is no way of knowing which states have over 60,000 people. An emergency census can be declared however, clearing up that hurdle.

Most hurdles can be jumped by issuing new laws as well as amending the constitution. It depends on how much the Congressmen (and women) will be willing to carve up their own country.

-Gen_Patton

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
With a surviving Congress, would they not have proclaimed a 'Special State of Emergency' for the duration?

As part of this they declare areas 'National Emergency Zones', subject to Federal Authority (and Martial Law), until such time as 'legitimate' Civilian Authority can be re-established (or confirmed).

Those areas with effective Civilian Authority can rapidly transition to 'National Recovery Zones' (as some legal cover for requisition and suspension of Habeas Corpus, among other things, might be handy).

Zones could cover either parts, or the entirety, of States and would provide a structure through which the Federal Government could re-exert National Authority.

Falkenburg

Hell a lot of Congressmen are their only constituents at this point, like say the ones from New York or LA.

And what about DC's non-voting rep, who doesn't have a constituency anymore either?

With a surviving Congress, would they not have proclaimed a 'Special State of Emergency' for the duration?

As part of this they declare areas 'National Emergency Zones', subject to Federal Authority (and Martial Law), until such time as 'legitimate' Civilian Authority can be re-established (or confirmed).

Those areas with effective Civilian Authority can rapidly transition to 'National Recovery Zones' (as some legal cover for requisition and suspension of Habeas Corpus, among other things, might be handy).

Zones could cover either parts, or the entirety, of States and would provide a structure through which the Federal Government could re-exert National Authority.

Falkenburg

Probably a good idea. I can see the declaration of some provisions of the Blank (as it was rushed through with out a name) Act of 1984 being furiously debated. What does martial law actually mean? Is it legal according to the constitution? How do we define zones, and who should have charge, the largest city? The most organized local government? The feds? And how do they ensure that the Blank Act will be lifted? An expiration date? If it does have an expiration date can it be extended?

This bill will probably take a month to go through Congress, even if it is the only thing they work on. Perfect!

The more I like and explore your idea, the more questions pop up. I like that, the more complicated the question the more realistic the solution. This should be fun :).

Some ideas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Emergencies_Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurrection_Act

Hell a lot of Congressmen are their only constituents at this point, like say the ones from New York or LA.

And what about DC's non-voting rep, who doesn't have a constituency anymore either?

New York has some survivors, especially in upper state. However Rhode Island is probably depopulated, as is Washington DC. They would probably fold to pressures from other Congressman to be absorbed into another or a new state.

I can see much of New England (NH, Maine, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont) all being folded into a New England mega-state. (Name Ideas anyone?). However to keep things "normal" I assume that they will try to keep 50 states in the union in some form. Perhaps splitting off part of N. California to create Jefferson? Could be a way to separate the Colonel and his people from "real" California.

Any other state ideas out there, remember remain realistic and if you can incorporate some form of historical precedence!

I just came across (thanks to a guy who posted a decal in the Chat section) a cool website on Civil Defense in Michigan.
http://www.michigancivildefense.com/index.html

Thanks for the link, I've taken a look at it. Its got a ton of good resources, and their summaries are thorough. However remember that "Civil Defence" as and organization was decommissioned in the Carter administration and was shifted into two areas CERTs and FEMA. While some of the information is intersting and pertininet, many of the armbands, licence plates, etc will not be seen or if so will serve in unofficial capacity.

Thanks,

Gen_Patton

Last edited:
Any other state ideas out there, remember remain realistic and if you can incorporate some form of historical precedence!

How about the Western Reserve? You might want to expand it to Toledo for nicer borders. Cleveland's inner city, without even counting in the refugees, already has the population necessary to form a state.

What remains of Ohio's state government would probably resist that though. It would mean losing a massive source of revenue and population. Clevelanders themselves might like it though as it would free them from supporting the rest of the state.

You could also admit Puerto Rico to help maintain the same number of stars.

Alongside Rhode Island and Maryland Missouri,Kentucky and Illinois are also gone.Missouri with ICBM fields in the western part of the state and its proximity to the probable fallout pattern from Nebraska would be pretty much wiped out.Kentucky and Illinois alongside targets hit in these states would suffer badly because of fallout from Missouri so we can pretty much put these as collateral damage.It practical terms there is no solution for these places except for making them something like a no-man's land.There are too few survivors in these states to make anything viable and most likely these would flee to other places that still exist.Residents from these states that happened to be someplace else are unlikely to go back.Most likely they would be abandoned except for a few diehards.I don't think anyone will inhabit these places in significant numbers until post 1990.Anyway there aren't that many americans left to begin with and the population will not rebound for decades in the least affected regions and the worst probably never.

We are entering my home territory, most recently I come from a small town north of Dallas. So I know what is most important about this territory. The McKinney Airport, the communities outside of Paris, the refinery in Tyler (along with UT Tyler.)

And onto a completely different topic...
--------------------------------------------------

So I've had some time to think about our earlier conversation discussing state borders after he 1986 convention.

They will obviously have to change. Perhaps only for a little while, perhaps forever.

There are some basic laws that govern statehood in the United States.

Lets start with the Basics:

• The Constitution
  • The Northwest Ordinance
The Constitution lays the basic groundwork for admission of new states. New States can not be carved out of former states without the Original state's permission.

All states have to be proposed and ratified by congress.

The Northwest Ordinance states basically that states can be admitted after they have 60,00 people.

But what does this mean for the survivors of the War?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We've established that congress survives, the judicial branch survived, and some form of the Executive branch has survived.

So things have to go through congress and the "normal way."

Now this causes some wrinkles.

Rhode Island and Maryland are practically depopulated. There is no state legislature to decide to be absorbed in a state. Congress can not go through the normal channels already established to absorb states. Also without accurate census data there is no way of knowing which states have over 60,000 people. An emergency census can be declared however, clearing up that hurdle.

Most hurdles can be jumped by issuing new laws as well as amending the constitution. It depends on how much the Congressmen (and women) will be willing to carve up their own country.

-Gen_Patton
Depopulated states can be turned into military districts (in one states or grouping several) with a federally appointed Governor, and local pre-existing structures, where they are still available. They could stay there until the population requirements are met again or the situation is more or less stabilised, in terms of law and order and transportation/feeding.

In the case of fusions or splittings of states, I would recommend that the capital becomes the city with the most infrastructures intact (regardless of the intra-state rank in terms of population), to ensure better governance. Personally, I would prefer small centrally located cities, but in this situation, it's better to save resources and time, and go for a city (of any size) with good communications, energy supply, etc, (at least whenever possible).
Large cities may pose security problems for the state governments in case there's food problems or other problems.

I can see much of New England (NH, Maine, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont) all being folded into a New England mega-state. (Name Ideas anyone?).

Umm.... "New England"? :p

An emergency census is unlikely for years to come with the country basically in ruins and survivors fleeing from one region to another.Carving up the country is not that hard considering many regions are for all intents and purposes gone.There is no point in talking about the state of Delaware if there is almost no one left there for example.The best solution is the easiest abandon the depopulated regions for now.Anyone stupid enough to live there is unlikely to be a threat in the long term.

for what it's worth, Baltimore is very, very close to Washington DC, barely an hour drive.

High-value targets in Maryland, not including Washington, D.C.:

Andrews Air Force Base, Camp Springs. Bye bye Prince George's County.

Fort Meade, Maryland (headquarters of the National Security Agency)

Baltimore-Washington International Airport (may have been Friendship Airport then; I can't remember)

Harbor of Baltimore: major port with capacity to load and unload troops and cargo

Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Aberdeen, Maryland

Camp David, Maryland

Patuxent Naval Air Station, in southern Maryland.

Annapolis might be spared, but it will get loads of radiation from the north and west.

Fredrick: same situation.

In addition, Site R, Mount Weather, the Pentagon, DC, National Airport, Quantico, Fort Belvoir, and perhaps Richmond will contribute to the radiation.

Falkenburg

There is a precedent during Reconstruction. Ten of the eleven Southern States became Military Districts before they were readmitted into the Union.

Once the radiation dies down, Baltimore is still a harbor and the Chesapeake Bay is still a seaway; Maryland may not have as many people as before, but Baltimore would still economically viable. The Bay would take a lot of radiation damage; but if left alone, could recover.

for what it's worth, Baltimore is very, very close to Washington DC, barely an hour drive.

Baltimore-Washington International Airport (may have been Friendship Airport then; I can't remember)

Harbor of Baltimore: major port with capacity to load and unload troops and cargo

Camp David, Maryland

Annapolis might be spared, but it will get loads of radiation from the north and west.

In addition, Site R, Mount Weather, the Pentagon, DC, National Airport, Quantico, Fort Belvoir, and perhaps Richmond will contribute to the radiation.

Would Site R and Mount Weather be known to the Soviets at the time?

How about the Western Reserve? You might want to expand it to Toledo for nicer borders. Cleveland's inner city, without even counting in the refugees, already has the population necessary to form a state.

What remains of Ohio's state government would probably resist that though. It would mean losing a massive source of revenue and population. Clevelanders themselves might like it though as it would free them from supporting the rest of the state.

You could also admit Puerto Rico to help maintain the same number of stars.

Good Ideas! While the Western Reserve is an absolutely brilliant idea and I too can't see the Ohio representatives & senators agreeing to it. It be taking too much of their power away, as Cleveland is where the US will restart.

But the rest of the surviving congress would be keen to get the city in federal hands, perhaps they create the Western Reserve as a federal district?

The Puerto Rico idea is cool, but seeing as we don't have contact with Alaska and Hawaii yet, it may be awhile before they are reached. And even then it is iffy if they would be happy with coming back to the US fold.

Alongside Rhode Island and Maryland Missouri,Kentucky and Illinois are also gone.Missouri with ICBM fields in the western part of the state and its proximity to the probable fallout pattern from Nebraska would be pretty much wiped out.Kentucky and Illinois alongside targets hit in these states would suffer badly because of fallout from Missouri so we can pretty much put these as collateral damage.It practical terms there is no solution for these places except for making them something like a no-man's land.There are too few survivors in these states to make anything viable and most likely these would flee to other places that still exist.Residents from these states that happened to be someplace else are unlikely to go back.Most likely they would be abandoned except for a few diehards.I don't think anyone will inhabit these places in significant numbers until post 1990.Anyway there aren't that many americans left to begin with and the population will not rebound for decades in the least affected regions and the worst probably never.

Brilliant Ideas! You are absolutely in line with my thoughts on some states. Many of the smallest states will be devoid of population, and some of the largest ones may very well be depopulated due to radiation. With our population normalization slated for 1988 and our growth beginning in 1990, these area may become wilderness for decades. Just imagine recolonizing empty land. Would probably be surreal.

Depopulated states can be turned into military districts (in one states or grouping several) with a federally appointed Governor, and local pre-existing structures, where they are still available. They could stay there until the population requirements are met again or the situation is more or less stabilised, in terms of law and order and transportation/feeding.

In the case of fusions or splittings of states, I would recommend that the capital becomes the city with the most infrastructures intact (regardless of the intra-state rank in terms of population), to ensure better governance. Personally, I would prefer small centrally located cities, but in this situation, it's better to save resources and time, and go for a city (of any size) with good communications, energy supply, etc, (at least whenever possible).
Large cities may pose security problems for the state governments in case there's food problems or other problems.

I like the military district idea, as someone mentioned earlier, a similar idea was used in the Reconstruction. Many parallels can be drawn to the Reconstruction. Massive structural and economic damage to large swaths of the United States, lack of local control in many areas, large dissenting populations. Perhaps this period following The War could be called the "Second Reconstruction?"

I also like your idea of the best infrastructure should be the capital, however I have to see many of the congressmen opting for the largest city. If not because of the creature comforts they could be offered, but simply for the morale standpoint. We are still great no matter what happens.

Lastly, you are right with the "Large Citys=Bad" statement. As Cleveland will demonstrate, one must always count their blessings. Survival for the city will become a double edged sword.

I can see much of New England (NH, Maine, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont) all being folded into a New England mega-state. (Name Ideas anyone?).

Umm.... "New England"? :p

I was hoping for something more creative, though that is the most logical.

I could always go with "Military District 3" instead! ;)

An emergency census is unlikely for years to come with the country basically in ruins and survivors fleeing from one region to another.Carving up the country is not that hard considering many regions are for all intents and purposes gone.There is no point in talking about the state of Delaware if there is almost no one left there for example.The best solution is the easiest abandon the depopulated regions for now.Anyone stupid enough to live there is unlikely to be a threat in the long term.

You are a man of wisdom, couldn't have said it better my self:

Carving up the country is not that hard considering many regions are for all intents and purposes gone.There is no point in talking about the state of Delaware if there is almost no one left there for example.

Camp David, Maryland

Thanks for all of the target ideas, your list is better than mine, and it's quite obvious that Maryland is well gone.

I will try to update soon from the Bunker, and I will be including a partial list of strikes from some states. Remember, communication in the wake of the strikes will be sketchy! If you have any areas where I should mention strikes in your state, please PM me!

Would Site R and Mount Weather be known to the Soviets at the time?

However, we have decided that Mount Weather, and Sight R (Raven Rock for all of you Fallout fans) did survive. Many of those programs were not made relatively public until the 1990's after the disclosure of Greenbrier. Yes, I know that Mount Weather was partially revealed after a aircraft crash in the '70's, but we should probably consider (minor PoD here?) irrelevant. Mount Weather is where the FEMA team is initially from, and Site R will be important to reconstruction.

Seeing how Mount Weather survives, should Site R survive?

There is a precedent during Reconstruction. Ten of the eleven Southern States became Military Districts before they were readmitted into the Union.

Once the radiation dies down, Baltimore is still a harbor and the Chesapeake Bay is still a seaway; Maryland may not have as many people as before, but Baltimore would still economically viable. The Bay would take a lot of radiation damage; but if left alone, could recover.

Marylander? Yes all natural landmarks will be intact, it's just a matter of how long it will take people to move back there. With states as small and saturated as Rhode Island, Maryland, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Deleware, it may take centuries to return to any semblance of pre-war population.

On an aside, should I switch to a large size font? Size "3" allows me to fit most of my updates on a single screen (no scrolling) but I find it hard to read.

Should I change my size up to 4?

One thing about Puerto Rico is the possible seccession of it.In real life there was an active independence movement which in the early 50's organised the only uprising against US rule that I know of in the 20th century.In the 80's these movements where more or less gone and presumably any attempts to organise something where under the surveillance of the FBI.But once the nuclear phase was reached and the island received a few hits of its own,surviving authorities there might end up raising the flag of an independent Puerto Rico.Its pretty much established that no contact with Alaska or Hawaii exists so we can assume the same for Puerto Rico_Of course there is the possible attack from other surviving latin american countries.With the US gone as a superpower states here might be tempted to organise a land grab.Brazil even if hit in a few places would still be very much functioning as a state.To try and maintain control such a country would end up diverting national attention from internal problems to expansionist drives outside.Something like we need their oil to maintain our economy with the UN gone its a free for all.Some might even attack US soil.

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
On an aside, should I switch to a large size font? Size "3" allows me to fit most of my updates on a single screen (no scrolling) but I find it hard to read.

Should I change my size up to 4?

For myself, it can be a little straining reading "3".
However, IMO, you minimise this by clear use of punctuation and short snappy paragraphs.

It comes down to what You find most useful.
Ease of reading is important but having a single screen to view may outweigh that.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gasoline is the Ichor of the American titan. The superpower was twice brought to its knees by counties and organizations that by no other means could. Gas lines stretched for miles, people sitting in the hot sun waiting for their turn to buy some overpriced gasoline. Our military could not walk, let alone run without out gas. Our houses were made livable by its application in heating. Medical miracles were brought about by the application of crude oil into plastics. Our farms were run on oil. Oil is the lifeblood of America.[/FONT]

For comparison.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Having compared the two sizes, I'm leaning towards "4".
I didn't even notice the duplication of "Out" (above) until I increased the size. :eek:

"4" may require a little tweaking of paragraphs, for aesthetic reasons.

Falkenburg

Perhaps this period following The War could be called the "Second Reconstruction?"
Looks like a good name for me.:)

However, we have decided that Mount Weather, and Sight R (Raven Rock for all of you Fallout fans) did survive. Many of those programs were not made relatively public until the 1990's after the disclosure of Greenbrier. Yes, I know that Mount Weather was partially revealed after a aircraft crash in the '70's, but we should probably consider (minor PoD here?) irrelevant. Mount Weather is where the FEMA team is initially from, and Site R will be important to reconstruction.

Seeing how Mount Weather survives, should Site R survive?
I think that being secret, it'll probably survive.