Ministry of Space, or Briiiiiits iiiiin Spaaaaace!

Pax Britannia said:
A good post war relationship between US and France is possible but the US would have to intervene in a big way to keep the French Empire going and I dont see that happening.

Oh, it was just a thought, Pax! But, I think that some financial backing, no threath to recall loans, more support in Indochina (airsupport moslty) would turn the US-French relationship into a very close one... But never mind that! This an Anglophile-thread! :)

I've posted some bits on the Commonwealth and the political leadership in Britain!

Hope to post a new MoS part one of the next days! Destintaion; the Moon!

Best regards!

- B.

Pax Britannia said:
Once again a fantastic read!
Thanks yet again! :)

A few notes, points and questions!

1) Regarding the US-French relationship. I think we need the French firmly in the US camp as historically the British sought French and Continental support for fx their space programme. I think only an isolated Britain would go to the great lenghts they do in MoS TL to recreat the Commonwealth etc etc! Would that work?

2) I see the MoS TL British Commonwealth of Nations as a mix of OTL's European Union and NATO, only with the Commonwealth nations as members. Is this plausible? The Brits would have to give up a lot of their precious political freedom and independence, but it kinda stays in the family and they do gain security and prosperity from it, so...

3) The list of PM's might seem a bit odd, but I really wanted a Thatcher in the '80's. Without Heath and Douglas-Home I don't think the chain of event will occur that's need for Thatcher to emerge. I also wanted a typical and very British society in this TL, so I tried to think of a way to get that - and that would be by ensuring that the Conservatives rule supreme.

Any other comments? Ideas? Cries of agony? :)

Best regards and all!

- Mr.B.

General Election nit-pick

Mr.Bluenote said:
Thanks yet again! :)
3) The list of PM's might seem a bit odd, but I really wanted a Thatcher in the '80's. Without Heath and Douglas-Home I don't think the chain of event will occur that's need for Thatcher to emerge. I also wanted a typical and very British society in this TL, so I tried to think of a way to get that - and that would be by ensuring that the Conservatives rule supreme.
General Elections must be held at least every 5 years in the UK- you seem to have most PMs serving 6 years. Small point but it will affect the succession you posted.

Paulo the Limey said:
General Elections must be held at least every 5 years in the UK- you seem to have most PMs serving 6 years. Small point but it will affect the succession you posted.

Yes, I was pretty certain of that, but I saw Atlee apparently served from 1945 untill 1951 and MacMillian 1957-63, so I thought I might be wrong. I found the listing of PM's on Spartacus.

Anyway, thanks for the correction, Paulo! Any other comments?

Regards and all!

- B.

Very interesting read, but I find it very hard to believe that such a wide gap is possible, with neither the US nor the Soviets doing anything in missile weapons OR space while the British have a monopoly in both... Doesn't spying exist in this timeline? The Soviets were able to ferret out the US nuclear secret in four years; I doubt they would have no wind of the British missiles and space flights into the 1960s. And the Americans should have an even easier time about it (Britain did require quite a bit of US aid after the war, AFAIK, and I doubt it would have been able to rebuild so fast, even with the Commonwealth, without any US assistance, not to mention the debt it had already accrued).

Knight Of Armenia said:
Very interesting read, but I find it very hard to believe that such a wide gap is possible, with neither the US nor the Soviets doing anything in missile weapons OR space while the British have a monopoly in both...
Thanks, Knight! Well, to be completely honest, I don't think things could have turned out as in the MoS TL myself, but being an unrelenting anglophile I'm having great fun with it! :)

Hmm, my idea was to have the US and USSR concentrate on heavy bombers. They no doubt do have some missile research being done, but the main reason for missiles to exist in the 50's is to carry nukes. Without the Germans, it's possible, I think, that the focus would remain on bombers. Instead of a space race, we have a bomber race between the US and USSR. Oh, and the British don't have a monopoly, they're just far ahead. As they actually were in OTL - don't make the mistake of underestimating the Brits space related endavours in the time after the war. Much of what I've used is real (Blue Streak, Black Knight and Black Prince. The ideas floated by Cleaver, Turing and Clarke are real too). Mjolnir and the Shadow-planes are my own invention, though.

Regarding the economy. The British in the MoS TL are still poor, but things are a bit different from OTL. First, there is no Atlee, which would mean some focus on domistic consumers (thus creating a more modern economy, I think). Two, with greater co-operation among the Commonwealth ala present day EU and being in the lead regarding advanced technology, the Brits would be better off. Three, yes, you're right, KoA, Marshall aid and some loans are still being handed out from the US - everybody in OTL, even the Soviets, I believe, owed the US money in some way... Four, the Brits are somewhat isolationistic, which means that they don't spend money fighting Commies and rebels around the would (the US were in Greece instead fx), they focus on the core nations of the Commonwealth.

Still, it might not be that plausible, but as long as it's not ASB-territory, I can live with it! :)

Best regards!

- Mr.B.

MoS, part VII

Part VII
Black Knight was developed from nothing to its full stature for approximately £5,000,000. A printers error in an early report caused that figure to appear as £50,000,000, and I understand it was stated in America that if Black Knight proved itself to be successful and had cost no more than the £50,000,000 quoted, Britain had bought itself a bargain!
- Ivan Southall, Woomera, 1962.

The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is inefficiency. An efficient bureaucracy is the greatest threat to liberty.
- Eugene McCarthy, Time magazine, Febuary 12, 1979.

In 1964 the MoS sent three Commonwealth astronauts on a four day trip around the globe in high orbit, thus proving that man could survive in space for real. The capsule landed in the Indian Ocean were the Indian Navy’s flagship, the carrier, HMIS Viraat, picked them up some 30 minutes after their landing. The only British astronaut on the trip was Dr. Anthony Llewllyn, but he was celebrated as the greatest hero since Nelson in Britain. Dr. Llewllyn is famous for his stoic quote, standing a little ruffled on the HMIS Viraat’s fighter deck surrounded by jubilant Indian sailors: “It's the first time I've had a chance to relax since last December!†His colleagues on the first Wellington flight halied from Australia and South Africa.
The next Wellington flight would have a Indian, a Canadian and a Kenyan astronaut on board. Harold Omnagu performed the first true space walk, or extra-vehicular activity (EVA), as he exited the capsule and was photographed by his colleagues while peering into the capsule from the port hole. The presence of a black man in space caused quite a stirr in the world at the time and would boost both cultural and political conciousness among many Africans and, not to forget, Americans of African decent. When the Wellington programme was finally cancelled prior to Malcolm Davis and Ceepak Basheer Saheb’s Moon landing, every Commonwealth nation had had a man in space. The original Wellington capsule is exibited at the Commonwealth Science Museum in Nairobi, Kenya.

After the successful orbital flight of the Commonwealth astronauts in their Wellington capsule, the Ministry of Space in co-operation with the United Commonwealth Command began to plan a true orbital aircraft or spaceplane. Two systems were proposed be respectively BAE and BAC. BAE’s being the more conventional one with two stages, where the first stage would accelerate the craft to hypersonic speed using air-breathing engines, at which point the second stage would be released and would then use rockets to navigate the craft into orbit. BAC’s design was much more unorthodox and usually just went by its acronym; MUSTARD (Multi Unit Space Transport And Recovery Device). BAC’s MUSTARD consisted of three reusable delta-shaped craft that would be sandwiched together. The two outer layers would act as boosters for the third central stage, which was meant to go into orbital. The boosters could then be flown back either by remote control or by a pilot. Fuel could be transferred from the boosters into the orbiter, allowing the orbiter to reach Earth orbit with a full fuel load. BAC postulated that their orbiter would have been capable of reaching the moon.

The project decided upon, however, was the Canadian AVRO Sparhawk. The Sparhawk was a single-pilot manned reusable delta-shaped spaceplane. It partially evolved from yet another German wartime design, the Sänger-Bredt Silverbird. Walter Dornberger, former head of German Rocket programme at Peenemünde, had been employed by AVRO together with Dr.Eugen Sänger from 1952 and had among other things worked on perfecting the principles of the lifting body. The lifting body hypothesis had arisen from the idea of a spacecraft re-entering the atmosphere and landing much like a regular aircraft. Wings would have to be built that could withstand stresses and temperatures at hypersonic speeds. A proposed answer was to eliminate wings altogether, so that the craft’s body itself produced the necessary lift. In the end AVRO began to experiment with a combination of the lifting body principles and Saunders-Roe’s Alexander Lippisch’s delta wing concept. Thus was born the AVRO Sparhawk. Since the Sparhawk was a joint Military-MoS project it was not surprisingly that the United Commonwealth Command in Johannesburg pushed hard for a MOWS (Manned Orbital Weapons System) version, while the Ministry of Space and its Commonwealth equivalents wanted a designt that could perform multiple mission-types like orbital supply, satellite rendezvous and inspection, reconnaissance, research, and, finally as demanded by the Military, orbital combat and bombing. In the end, the Military was pressured by the MacMillan government to accept a junior-partnership with the Ministry of Space and thus their proposal.

The AVRO Sparhawk would be a full-fledged manned, hypersonic, strategic bombardment, reconnaissance and combat system.

Since the MoS saw no need to develop yet another new orbital launch system, the Sparhawk was designed so that the new Black Duke-rockets could lift the space-plane into orbit. The Black Duke was about to be tested and would therefor do nicely. The giant new rocket would be needed by the late 1960's for launch of the new nearly 10 tons heavy reconnaissance and communications satellites into low orbit and the ELINT and early warning satellites into high orbit.

The Sparhawk’s first test-flight was in March, 1966, followed by the first all-up boosted spaceflight in late 1967. The Sparhawk would become operational in mid-1969. The same time as the Americans placed their first spy-satellite in orbit…

Last edited:
Iran in the MoS TL

Iran in the MoS TL
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free!
- Ronald Reagan.

The bravest thing you can do when you are not brave is to profess courage and act accordingly!
- Corra Harris.

Ever since the discovery of oil in the early 1900s Britain had held a keen interest in Iran. For a long time they fought first Russians, then Germans and finally Russo-Americans for power and influence over the oil-rich Gulf-nation. In 1919, Iran made a trade agreement with Britain in which Britain formally reaffirmed Iran's independence, but actually attempted to establish a complete protectorate over it. After Iranian recognition of the USSR in a treaty of 1921, the Soviet Union renounced czarist imperialistic policies toward Iran, canceled all debts and concessions, and withdrew occupation forces from Iranian territory. In 1921, Reza Khan, an army officer, effected a coup and established a military dictatorship.

Reza Khan was subsequently elected hereditary Shah in 1925, and thereby founded the new Pahlevi Dynasty. The new Shah abolished the British treaty, reorganized the army, introduced many reforms and encouraged the development of industry and education. In August, 1941, two months after the German invasion of the USSR, British and Soviet forces occupied Iran. In September, the Shah abdicated in favor of his son, Mohammed Reza Shah Pahlevi . American troops later entered Iran to handle the delivery of war supplies to the USSR.

At the Teheran Conference in 1943 a declaration was signed by the USA, USSR and Britain that guaranteed the territorial integrity and independence of Iran. However, the USSR soon forstered a revolt in northern Iran, which led to the establishment of the Soviet controlled People's Republic of Azerbaijan and the Kurdish People's Republic in December 1945. When Soviet troops remained in Iran following the expiration of the wartime treaty, Iran protested to the the Americans and British, who still had troops in the area. The Americans were busy pulling their troops home from nearly everywhere, but Churchill saw Iran as being of vital interest for his post-war reconstruction of both Britain itself and the Commonwealth, and therefore sent his Foreign Minister, Anthony Eden, to Teheran to calm the Shah and put some pressure on the Soviets. After intense British and some American pressure, the Soviets finally withdrew in late 1946. The fact that the USA at the time were the only nuclear-armed power had no doubt its effect on the Soviets leadership. In London, this was noted, and both the British nuclear and missile programmes were accelerated further. The Soviet-established governments in the north, lacking any true popular support, were deposed by a joint British-Iranian military operation in early 1947. In the spring of 1949 the last British troops left Iran, for the time being.

A setback for the British in Iran came with the election of Mussadegh as Iranian Premier in 1951. Mussadegh headed the National Front movement, a extremely militant grouping of nationalists. The new Iranian government soon began to nationalize the oil industry. Although a British blockade led to the virtual collapse of the oil industry and serious internal economic troubles, Mussadegh continued his nationalization policy. Openly opposed by the Shah, Mussadegh was ousted in 1952 but quickly regained power. The Shah fled Iran, but returned when Monarchist elements within the Iranian Army forced Premier Mussadegh from office in August 1953. Covert British activity was largely responsible for Mussadegh's ousting and the safe retutn of the Shah. One of the most well-remembered pictures from that time is of a just returned Shah standing misty eyed with his wife on the stairs of a BOAC de Havilland Comet C/III jet-liner in Teheran International Airport.

In 1954, Iran allowed an international consortium of oil companies from the Commowealth nations to operate its oil facilities, with profits shared equally between Iran and the consortium. After the British lead Coup d’Etat in 1953, a succession of Premiers restored a measure of order to Iran and in 1957 martial law was finally ended after 16 years in force. Iran established even closer relations with the Commonwealth, and received large amounts of military aid from the British in particular, but also from other Commonwealth nations. The Shah fx had a Rhodesian personal security detail from his return in ’53 til his death.

Starting in the late 1950s and continuing into the 1970s, the Iranian government, at the Shah's initiative, undertook a broad program designed to improve economic and social conditions. Land reform was a major priority. In an effort to transform the feudal agricultural system, the government purchased land and sold it to the peasants, while distributing large tracts of crown land. In several elections between 1957 and 1972, the Iranians overwhelmingly approved the Shah's extensive plan for further land redistribution, compulsory education, and profit sharing in the growing industry. Eventhough the Shah an absolute monarch, he nonetheless steadily moved towards democracy. A new government-backed political party, the Iran Novin party, was introduced at the first Iranian General Election in 1957 and won an overwhelming majority in the parliament and subsequent General Elections. Women received the right to vote in the General Elections in 1962. The many reform programmes were financed by selling government-owned factories to private, mostly Canadian and South African, investors and by the huge oil revenue generated by the consortium.

The Shah's various reform programmes alienated and angered religious leaders and some of the major political groups, notably the Soviet-backed Communists in the Tudeh-party. Riots occurred after the General Election of 1967. The political instability was reflected by the assassination attempt on the Shah himself (only prevented by the self-sacrifice of one of the Rhodesian bodyguards) and on Premier Hassan Ali Mansur from the Novin Party. Not wanting another Egypt, British Primeminister MacMilland sent Royal Marine Commandos to secure British interests in the country. The Marine Commandos soon got company from Canadian and South African military detachments. Iran's pro-Western policies continued into the 1970s, however, the Islamic clergy and the Communists was in strong opposition to the growing Westernization, secularization and the presence of foreign troops on Iranian soil.

In the 1960’s and ‘70’s relations with Iraq deteriorated. This was partly due to a simmering conflict over the Shatt al Arab waterway. A number of armed clashes took place along the entire length of the border. Up to the General Election in 1972, Iran scrapped the 1937-treaty with Iraq on control of the Shatt al Arab and demanded that the treaty, which had given Iraq virtual control of the river, be renegotiated in Iran’s favour. For along time Iraq had been a pro-Soviet state, so the Commonwealth decided to back the Iranians, and Commonwealth troops began to arrive in the region, together with numerous naval vessels, among them at least one Ballistic Dreadnought-submarine. The Soviets, not wanting a repeat of the Pakistani revolt, withdrew support from Iraq. A coup soon followed and a Monarchist took control after the pro-Soviet Baath Party in Iraq.

Troubles in Iran, however, soon arose when the Novin-Premier wanted to make good on the Iranian claims to Bahrain at election-time in 1977. Severe Commonwealth pressure got the Iranian to back off, but this course of action gave the Opposition new air!

The failed grap for Bahrain, together with religious agitation from the Islamic clergy and political ditto from Tudeh caused widespread unrest respectively among the still poor peasantry in the overcrowded urban areas. The religious-based rural protests were conservative in nature, directed against the Shah and his close relationship with the morally corrupt Commonwealth, where the Communist urban portests where directed more at the Shah’s economic policies, that had created a very wealthy upper-class. In the run up to the General Election, Ayathollah Khomeini, who had been in exile for nearly 12 years, called for the abdication of the shah. Martial Law was declared and the elections postponed. As governmental controls begun to falter, the Commonwealth reacted swiftly and the United Commonwealth Command got the go-ahead for an intervention in Iran. The British PM, Alec Douglas-Home, needed to boost his popularity and, besides orchestrating the intervention, ordered the SAS to liquidate Khomeini before he became a threath to British and Commonwealth interests! In the long run, however, the otherwise successful operation backfired, and Douglas-Home declined to run for another term, when the SAS’s participation in Khomeini ‘s death was leaked in late 1977. The assasination also caused a great amount of trouble with France, on whoes soil the Ayathollah was killed, and the pro-French US-government. Nonetheless, the intervention succeded, and Iran stayed in the Commonwealth’s sphere of influence. Later, in mid-1980, Iran became an associated member of the British Commonwealth of Nations, and is at present a respected and well-liked nation!

MoS, part VIII

Part VIII
I have already described the - shall we say - jockeying for position before take-off on the first flight to the moon. As it turned out, the American, Russian and British ships landed just about simultaneously...
- Arthur C. Clarke, Venture to the Moon, 1956.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return!
- Leonardo da Vinci.

When Blue Streak was scrapped and Black Prince proved to be far too small to be of any use other than to launch minor satellites, Mjolnirs and three-man capsules ala the Wellington into space, work began on a series of even bigger rockets. Eventhough the Mjolnirs had proven deadly in the Egyptian Civil war and the Wellinton space-capsules efficient and reliable, it was judged that there was, or would be, a great need for larger payloads to be sent into orbit. Especially with the Moon Mission being planned. While the Wellington was the first viable capsule for an extended stay in space, it was very cramped indeed and for a Moon landing a little bit more was needed. That little more would be helped on its way by the Black Duke…

The first A/I series of Back Dukes was able to put some 20 tons in Earth orbit, while the finaly version, the C/IV, could place nearly 80 tons in orbit. By comparison, the weight of the Wellington was around 3 tons. To further extend the Black Dukes usefulness, it was to be combined with a separately launched habitation module and a further launch module. Rendezvousing with a separate module would be very ambitious, though, as would any arrangements there had to involve docking with other objects in space, but the enormous know-how of the British Ministry of Space, the astronauts expirence and the Ministry’s access to advanced computers (the day-to-day name of Türing's Automatic Computing Engines) seemed to make this easily manageable.

The Black Duke and the later Black Duchess series of rockets would be the ultimate expression of the British, and German, rocket scientists dream exploring space, the Moon and in the end Mars. They were living Churchill’s dream!

There came, however, a great and unexpected blow to the British Ministry of Space, and the Douglas-Home government as such, when the Soviets successfully launched and operated Luna 18, a Lunakhod-lunar rover, which operated for nine months on the surface of the Moon before it ran out of power. The Luna 18-mission was immidiately follwoed up by the even more astonishing Luna 19-mission two months after. Luna 19 landed on the Moon, and furthermore returned to the Earth with a few grams of lunar soil from the Sea of Fertility. Of course it was knownt that both the Soviet Union and the United States had space programmes, and rather successful ones at that, but intelligence failed to estimate the true scope of especially the Soviet programme.

The history of Soviet space programme was predominantly the story of the Soviet military. Manned or scientific space missions would only be justified in the eyes of the Kremlin as part of a larger military project. It was estimated by British intelligence that less than 20% of Soviet launches were for national prestige purposes. The Soviet Union was a planned economy, and the space programme was closely co-ordinated with the Five Year-plans. Long range military forces plans were made for a ten year period, and implemented in two five-year phases. The first such plan was approved in 1963.

The head of the British secret intelligence service, also known as MI-6, Sir John Sinclaire, the hero of the Burgess-Philby spy-hunt, retired voluntarily and was replaced by Sir Maurice Oldfield. The Ministrer of Space himself, Sir R.V.Jones, stepped down in the wake of the Lunakhod-scandale and was replaced by the young energetic Douglas Richard Hurd, a promising Conservative from Marlborough, Wiltshire, who would become one of the best liked and most repected ministers in the history of the MoS. Hurd would end his formidable carrier as the first British Commonwealth general-secretary since Konni Zilliacus.

The new Minister of Space was now under intense pressure to get men from the Commonwealth on the Moon, since the Conservative government needed something to boost voter confidence, so the Moon programme was rushed forth. A group of Commonwealth astronauts were picked and began to train.

MoS, part IX

Part IX
Flight out of the atmosphere is a simple thing to do and should have been available to the public twenty years ago. Ten years from now, we will have space tourism where you will be able to see the black sky and the curvature of the earth. It will be the most exciting roller coaster ride you can buy!
- Burt Rutan.

It has been said that he who controls the moon controls the earth. Our planners must carefully evaluate this statement for, if true - and I, for one, think it is - then the U.S. must control the moon!
- Homer A. Boushey, U.S. News & World Report, February 7, 1958.

In 1970’s Britain and the Commonwealth was at least ten years ahead of the rest of the world in developing space related technologies and, in the long run more importantly, computers, but the United States under the new energetic President and the Soviet Union was catching up, and catching up fast!

Nearly a quarter of a century of fighting Communist aggression, percieved as well as real, across the Globe, rebuilding Germany almost single handedly and upholding the colonial empire of their French allies had left the USA somewhat disspirited and in a slight economic depression. The stagnating Nixon Administration did not improve the moral of the Americans, nor the economy, on the contrary, but when President Nixon was hospitalized in the autumn of 1978 and later died, his VP did step up to the platter and begun to reestablish the American Spirit. Ronald Reagan did like Churchill decades before, he used the space programme and his personality to rally the American public to a single cause. Reagan ordered a draw back of the US commitment overseas and soon US troops stationed abroad began to return home. Reagan was no fool, and he made sure that nuclear weapons would be used to curtail any overt Soviet agression, and that the Soviets knew it – a new doctrine was thus born, the Reagan Assured Destruction Doctrine. The money saved was mostly distributed into the USAFSOA, US Air Force Space Operations Angency and their naval equivalent, USNARP, United States Navy Advanced Research Projects, and used to lower the taxes. 1980 would see the US-citizen, Commander James Wilcox, in space.

The Soviets however did not sit idly, while the US and the Commonwealth played their games. In 1978, while Reagan was still new in the Oval Office, the USSR launched an invasion of Afghanistan. The Kremlin-leadership announced to the world that they were aiding an allied and was there to put down a muslim revolt in the name of the Afghan People. In Washington President Reagan was annoyed, but saw Afghanistan as the Commonwealth’s problem. It is later said, that Reagan and his advisors, among them George Bush and Oliver North, saw the invasion as suicidal and was quite happy to let the Soviets bled their precious Red Army white in the mountains of Afghianistan. The Red Army soon overran most of the country, but advanced Commonwealth weaponry and military advisors began to find its way into Afghanistan. A bloody and long attritional war had begun…

In space the Soviets pushed harder than ever and several of their first generation space systems either became operational or was used as prototypes and test articles for the advanced second generation. From the first longe range military plan of 1963 til the second in 1973 three major research programs sprung to life. They were code-named Shchit for space systems, Osnova for space equipment) and finally Ediniy KIK for ground based systems. A Defence Ministry directive of November 1971 laid out the actions to be taken in the late 1970's and early 1980's. The objective was to integrate space forces into overall military planning, thus taking into account the most cost-effective use of resources. Methodical operations planning was completed in 1980 with Plans Prognoz and Sirius Phase I. From 1971-1981 14 new space systems entered military service, and 16 were in operation. So far all the Soviet space systems were mosly the work of only two men, Korolev and Chelomei.

Needless to say, the Soviet and American advances, and the rumors of a Franco-German space programme centered around a super-gun capable of lauching satellites led to a very hectic period for the MoS. The rush, however, resulted in a disaster, the so far greatest in space history, when a Black Duke rocket blew up on the launch pad at Woomera Space Center and killed the three-man crew and razed launch pad C.

The explosion forced the less than popular PM, Douglas-Home, to be replaced by Heath as the Conservative Party’s candidate for Primeminister. Heath just barely won the General Election in 1978 and used, as many before him, to space programme as a confidence booster.

Finally a Black Duke rocket was launched from Woomera’s secondary launch pad carrying three Commonwealth astronauts, Malcolm Davis, Gerd van der Bruel and Ceepak Basheer Saheb into orbit around the Moon. Davies and Saheb separated their lander from the orbiter and began their descent onto the surface of the Moon. Soon Davies’ voice could be heard through the static all over the Commonwealth; "Woomera control, we have touch down! The Victory has landed!" Following their successful landing both Davis and Saheb soon stepped onto the Moon surface and Saheb made the famous claim: "The heaven is hereby claimed for the Commonwealth – God bless the Queen!†After raising the Union Jack and the Commonwealth Colors and having made a conversation with the PM’s of Britain, India and the South African Federation on the radiotelephone, the two astronauts gathered samples of lunar soil and rocks. Davis and Saheb then reentered the Victory. Lifted off and rejoined van der Bruel in the orbiter, Shiva. The entire event had been televised to the Commonwealth and the rest of the world. Even to day, many people remember the Moon Landing with crystal clarity and think of it as one of history’s truly great moments!

Leej said:
Are the Brits 10 years ahead of our 1970 or is the rest of the world 10 years behind it?
The British are 10 years, more or less, ahead of everyone else in the ATL. I would say that space exploration in the MoS TL generally is behind what it is in OTL. Mostly because of the focus on heavy bombers instead of missiles and the fact that the British and the Commonwealth could not afford a really major programme ala the American one even in this TL.

Any other comments?

Best regards!

- Mr.Bluenote.

What about South Africa's Nationalist party? If they pop up, there's apartheid, and a source of division in the Commonwealth, this alternate one even more so than the historical one. Certainly no self-respecting Boer would step onto another world with a "coloured" person...:/

Chef Kyle said:
What about South Africa's Nationalist party? If they pop up, there's apartheid, and a source of division in the Commonwealth, this alternate one even more so than the historical one. Certainly no self-respecting Boer would step onto another world with a "coloured" person...:/
Good question Kyle! Hm, to make the MoS-thingy work, I suppose that racism must be kept to a minimum! Britain needs India and the African nations, especially Kenya and Uganda, and peace in both South Africa and Rhodesia.

So, what to do? Some kind of federation in SA? A federation of Homelands, that are split up after ethnic patterns? A crack-down on racism (a few SAS-style eliminations perhaps?) combined with refugees from Europe and more immigration from India to create a less Afrikaaner dominated white population etc etc? Could that create an enviroment whithout apartheid?

Does anyone know of South African history in the 40's and 50's?

The best of regards!

- B.

Commonwealth General-Secretaries in MoS TL

Commonwealth General-Secretaries
To accomplish great things, we must dream as well as act!
- Anatole France.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts!
- Bertrand Russell.

List of General-Secretaries of the British Commonwealth of Nations in the Ministry of Space TL.

Konni Zilliacus, Britain : 1947-54.
??: 1954-61.
??: 1961-68.
Robert Lorne Stanfield, Canada: 1968-75.
??: 1975-82.
??: 1982-89.
Douglas Richard Hurd, Britain: 1989-96.
??: 1996-03.

The General-Secretary is the governmental head of the British Commonwealth of Nations. The General-Secretay is appointed by the Commonwealth Parlianment in Wellington, New Zealand, and serve for maximum two consecutive 7-year terms. The appointment must be confirmed by the recognized Head of State, the British Monarch. The confirmations has thus far been automatic. The General-Secretary’s office is placed in Toronto, Canada.

Commonwealth General-Secretaries
Konni Zilliacus
Konni Zilliacus, was born on 13th of September, 1894. His father, Konni Zilliacus Senior, had been involved in the struggle to obtain the independence of Finnish struggle for independence. Zilliacus was educated in Sweden, Finland and the United States. During WW1 he served as an medical orderly in a military hospital in France.

Zilliacus was a stout supporter of the League of Nations and was not surprissingly devastated by the League's failure to prevent the Italian conquest of Ethiopia and the league’s failure to stop the Spanish Civil War. Zilliacus resigned from the League Secretariat, when the Germans partitioned and later occupied Czechoslovakia.

Zilliacus was also a member of the 1941 Committee and was among the driving forces behind the organization. Zilliacus held the belief that a much more coordinated effort would be needed, with stricter planning of the economy and greater use of scientific know-how, particularly in the field of war production, if the War was to be won. During that time Zilliacus caught Churchill’s eye.

Originally a Labour-man, Zilliacus was nonetheless headhunted by Churchill, who personally disliked the man, but saw his value, to head the new incarnation of the British Commonwealth as its first General-Secretay.

Zilliacus served as General-Secretaries from 1947 to 1954. He was the first General-Secreatary and did much to imbue the post with dignity and a non-nationalistic pro-Commonwealth outlook. Many times Zilliacus clashed openly with both Churchill and Bevin. This was perhaps the reason why he was immensely popular among the Indian, Canadian and African members of the Commonwealth.

Konni Zilliacus died of leukemia on the 6th of July, 1967, and recieved a full statefuneral. He is burried in Toronto, Canada

Robert Lorne Stanfield
Robert Stansfield was born on 11th of April, 1914.

Stanfield was born into a wealthy family and recieved the best education possible. He attended schools in both Canada and the US.

During his student days he became a Socialist, but soon reoriented himself and joined the Conservatives, although he never stopped being very conscious of the poor and needy.

In 1948 Stanfield was elected leader of Nova Scotia’s Progressive Conservative Party of Canada, and quickly began to revive it. Stanfield served several trems as Premier of Nova Scotia, ruling as a moderate and soon gained the nickname, the Red Tory. Stansfield was one of Canada's most distinguished and respected politicians throughout his entire life.

Stanfield left national politics due to a internal dispute in the PCPC and instead entered the Commonwealth Parliament. Much to his own surprise, he was elected as General-Secretary in 1968. He served a full term from his election to 1975.

Robert Stanfield became renowned as a gentleman-like and very civil man, and was extremely well-liked in all the Commonwealth nations. When he passed away after nearly three years illness on the 16th of December 16, 2003, he was truly mourned by Canadians and Commonwealthers alike. He is burried in Nova Scotia.

Douglas Richard Hurd
Douglas Richard Hurd was born in Marlborough, Wiltshire in 1930.

He attended both Eton and Cambridge. Hurd joined the British diplomacy in 1952 and served under both the Eden and MacMillan Governments. Hurd especially made himself a name during the Egyptian Uprising.

He joined the Conservative Party in 1966 and was elected to Parliament in the following General Election. He was handpicked by Primeminister Alec Douglas-Home to head the Ministry of Space after the Lunakhod-scandale.

Douglas Hurd became the most respected Minister of Space and would see Commonwealth astronauts on the Moon under his supervison. When he later resigned, he went into Commonwealth politics and got elected to the Parliament in Wellington.

In 1989 Hurd was elected as General-Secretary of the British Commonwealth of Nations as the first British Commonwealth General-Secretary since Konni Zilliacus.

When he stepped down in 1996, Hurd was created Baron Hurd of Westwell. He, however, still remains active, acting as an unofficial Commonwealth spokesman and a successful novelist.

I've posted a few General-Secretaries of the Commonwealth. Stanfield I noticed in another thread and found the man very likable, so I grabbed him for my MoS TL! :)

Any ideas for non-British General-Secretaties for 1954-61, 1961-68,1975-82, 1982-89 and 1996-03?

What about Ministers of Space? I have Solly Zuckerman as the first MoS, R.V.Jones in the 70's and there after Hurd in the late 70's and early, I think, 80's. Any other candidates?

Since Paulo drew my attention to the incorrectness of my list of PM's, I'm rewriting that too, so comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

Regards and all!

- Bluenote.

G.Bone said:
just exactly how many nations make up the commonwealth that aren't british colonies?
Sorry? Some of them are Dominions or what do you mean, G.Bone? Have I made some embarrassing mistake(s) somewhere? If its about the General-Secretaries, I meant people from either the colonies or the Dominions, not people from the British Isles.

Best regards!

- Bluenote.