Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
An ASB-ish slideshow, from 1945 to 1949 (when the war ends). I guess the main changes are no atom bomb developments, Barbarossa and Pearl Harbor don't occur until 1943, and logistics have been a priority in Axis research. Oh, Spain is also in the Axis, along with a much more capable Italy. I also guess some wacky Russo-Sino-Japanese war happened before, resulting in what east Asia looks like.

Week 5

EU forces reach the Hudson River Tributary while eastern Long Island is occupied. NEA successfully manages to destroy all bridges and tunnels between New York City and the mainland.
Texan counterattack continues in southern Louisiana while the Confederacy gains ground to the north.
Pacifica makes hard-won gains in Utah.
USPACOM notes a continued buildup of military forces in the Russian Far East . . .

SU_6.PNG

Week 5

EU forces reach the Hudson River Tributary while eastern Long Island is occupied. NEA successfully manages to destroy all bridges and tunnels between New York City and the mainland.
Texan counterattack continues in southern Louisiana while the Confederacy gains ground to the north.
Pacifica makes hard-won gains in Utah.
USPACOM notes a continued buildup of military forces in the Russian Far East . . .
Can I make a small recommendation? Make the changes in fronts a little larger and more noticeable. Your series is kind of hard to notice changes because it's only a small gain in the front.

Here's some maps of an alt-Canada based on a suggestion by Dan1988 of a Canada with a 42nd parallel north western border.

-snip-

Nugax, I like those maps a lot. :) Now, I wonder how the economy of this alt-Canada would look like with all that additional territory.

A five minute quickie. Same universe as James Cameron's Avatar (in my imagination, at least), though two decades before Jake Sully is transferred to Pandora.

work.png

Here's some maps of an alt-Canada based on a suggestion by Dan1988 of a Canada with a 42nd parallel north western border.

There are far to many political maps in this thread that ignore physical and demographic history, so I thought I'd rectify that.

POPULATION
Here's the population density and large cities map, this Canada has 70 or so million people by 2010. The strong corridor in the west follows the Missouri river, as the first transpacific railroad was built just north of its banks (for security reasons), and thus you got a strong settlement along there.

For the city names look at the next map.

TRANSPORTATION
Here's a transport and city map (Capitalised cities are the Provincal capitals). Also showing the early transcontinental railroads (which later become high speed rail corridors).

Also shown are the Statistics Canada 'Megapolitain zones', connected polycentric urban regions that are the focus of public transport systems (the idea being you get the train to travel around Megas and fly between them). I got this from the 10 zones defined in the OTL US by an interesting paper (the ATL US has only 8 ;)).

The city names probably give a clue about what was different in British directed settlement ;).

REPORTED ANCESTRY AND ACCENT
Here's the map of self reported ancestry, as well as the Statistics Canada accent groups.
Its quite hard to see the Magrebi and Italian zones, but they're small districts in Toronto and Minneborough.
Note, 'Canadian' in the ATL generally means an English speaker with a high degree of french ancestry.

Description of accents for speaking English:
Quebec - as the OTL
Valley - large numbers of French loan words and many Irish inflections
Old UE - The earlier surge in immigration had the old loyalists keeping a seperate identity in some places and a seperate accent, similar to OTL Anglo-american and New England accents.
Maritimer - as the OTL
Lower Peninsula - the 'Typical Canadian', similar to midland American but softened by a great mix of immigrants.
Toronto - similar to the Lower Penninsula influx of slang terminology originating from Toronto's many immigrant communities.
Bridger - due to recieveing media from all directions, can have a blending of dialects. Generally strong Canadian raising.
Superior - Very similar to Laker but does feature the Canadian raising and has many Finnish loanwords and the general dropping of "to the".
Arrowhead - Due to a large number of Yorkshire miners in the 1840s, Arrowhead features standard Wisconsin modified by many Tyke-isms (particularly owt, nowt, an summat), as well as featuring influcence from the Superior accent. Now in decline due to influence from the major urban centres that surround it.
Wisconsin - directly settled by South and South-west English and Irish, the Wisconsin accent is of greater similarity to Canadian and American accents than furthern Western accents (which are generally non-rhotic), but is still distinct, especially in vocabulary (sterotypically 'hark', and 'Scag').
Lakeside - influenced by the large number of African-American and Caribbean immigrants, as well as the old Shawnee regions, lake side resembles a simplified 'urban' version of Canadian.
Laker - What in the OTL would be North Central American English (see Fargo), but both intensived by isolation and greater Scandinavian proportion and gentled by the influnce of the Wisconsin english. Does not feature the Canadian raising
South-Western - What in the OTL would be called the Inland North/General American accent of the US caused by the mixing and closeness to the border. Generally very clear and understandable. Ironically in the ATL not spoken much in the US (which has had much more Hispanic and other influcence, and the lack of the New Englanders into the mix), so its perceived as a 'Canadian' accent.
Rockies - The blending of the Pacific and Canadian on the praries, high transit population prevents much vocabulary diversification. Often used by newsreaders.
Pacific - Similar to what in the OTL would have been the New Zealand accent, a mix of Southern English and Scottish with some American and Canadian influence. Remains quite flat and with the rising intonation, chinook and south asian loanwords often used.
Sound - Similar to pacific but with greater density of Scottish loanwords
Welsh Coast - due to numerious welsh families and the isolation of the small bays many here speak with a very lyrical version of the pacific accent.
Northern - Pacific, Canadian and First nation mix.
The details on the map are great, Nugax!:)

A little map for DCInsider, from a TL where the Chinese revolution was earlier and produced a more stable successor government, the Russian civil war was inconclusive, and the Poles behaved like major dicks.

Bruce

LilGiftMap3.png

QJYBS.png

A map of the world I am creating for my NationStates accounts and the other members of my region.

And No the giant red nation isn't communist

A little map for DCInsider, from a TL where the Chinese revolution was earlier and produced a more stable successor government, the Russian civil war was inconclusive, and the Poles behaved like major dicks.

Bruce

For those who are interested, this is the description that inspired this map - thank you, Bruce!:

There are so many maps on many discussion threads that show China at a disavantage from every major power from the 1840s through the 1950s. These maps show China losing all or parts of Manchuria, Mongolia, Xinkiang and Tibet, as well as some core lands along the Yellow and Yangze river. But what about an alternate China - where the POD is the Chinese Revolution that takes place much eralier than 1911 - say, around 1902 or 1905. That way, when the Russian Civil War takes place, China decides to direct the energies of its growing, divided and restless population outward - to conquer and settle parts of the Russian Far East, Siberia and Central Asia(which were once parts of Qing Empire).

This presents a whole different course of events - with the chaos of civil war, Russian anti-communist forces are unable to stem the tide of Chinese soldiers and millions of settlers. As a result, the White Armies are forced into an uneasy alliance with the Red Communits forces, which see Chinese advance as a threat to Russian territorial integrity. To Russia's west, an agressive Poland, which in OTL ended hostilities with Russia by 1920, presses its advantage against Moscow, as Russia tries to disengage from a now-unnecessary war with Warsaw. Poland gets present-day western Ukraine and most of present-day Belarus. Seeing a much stronger Poland emerge in the east, Germany and Austria unify into a German Union - and UK and France do not object, wanting some kind of a buffer against chaotic "eastern Slavs". Russian Communist and anti-Communist forces are unable to square away their differences, as China takes over much of present-day Siberia, Far East and parts of Central Asia. Japan is taken by surprise by the Chinese actions, though its unable to adequately respond with its military as in OTL. Tokyo does send its armies to fight with China, but Japanese get bogged down in present-day Vladisvostok region and are eventually pushed back across Yalu into Japanese Korea.

US stands aside, musing over the "Eurasian Mess"- instead of peace, the world now faces a German Union, a much larger and agressive Poland, a Communist Russia, a Monarchist Russian remnant, a now-massive China and an agigated and nervous Japanese Empire. Through it all, UK, France, Italy, Netherlands and Belgium still hope to use their influence to make sure all these new powers are too busy with each other to pose a credible threat.

Can I make a small recommendation? Make the changes in fronts a little larger and more noticeable. Your series is kind of hard to notice changes because it's only a small gain in the front.

The reason why the front changes are usually so small is because all of the factions (except Europe) are fighting with infantry, small artillery (90mm shells) and converted civilian aircraft, so front expansions will be small from week to week.

But don't worry; I have a plan that will address your problem.

Last edited:

Glen

There are far to many political maps in this thread that ignore physical and demographic history, so I thought I'd rectify that.

They are beautiful! I could cry.....

A Small Preview

Sadly, due to a deluge of issues, I'll need to shelve An African Century for a while. But fear not! I'll instead give a short preview to my new concoction, The Fifty-First State, which I should finish preliminary work on early next year. While it is an ASB time line, I think it shall be a rather enjoyable read when I'm finished polishing it.

Behold the world of Tomorrow! (That is, when view from the POD in 1992.)

FFS_Preview_AD2000.png

FFS_Preview_AD2000.png

Status
Not open for further replies.