The Die Is Cast--OR--How A Single Birth Changed History

I would rather say because it was the case for any promising young man of the highest families. There are other examples.

And Publius had actually proven himself very good on the military field. Like Cassius did after Carrhae.

I would rather say because it was the case for any promising young man of the highest families. There are other examples.

And Publius had actually proven himself very good on the military field. Like Cassius did after Carrhae.
I believe Cicero also liked him, mainly because Publius was one of his biggest fans (god, Cicero was so vain). From what I understand, he was mainly responsible for reconciling Crassus to Cicero after the whole Catiline thing.

I do wonder if this could potentially prevent the OTL civil war from happening, and whatever would take it's place...

Alea Iacta Est

Syria, 701 AVC Part II
D4uGfbz.jpg

Lucius Tremellius was, by this point, near exhaustion. It was near dusk on the third day, and he was now going over a day and a half without sleep. Everything had gone wrong since their retreat to Carrhae. The Parthian treachery, the botched overnight escape from the city, and now they were were divided into numerous pockets of a a couple hundred men that could easily be picked off. Publius Crassus had gone off to lead the main army back to safety, but somehow Tremellius doubted his force was in one piece either. It was pretty damn hard to remain optimistic given the situation.

And then there was Marcus Licinius Crassus. The military tribune Octavius, whose group Tremellius had the misfortune of being in, had decided on attempting to find their imperator and return him to safety. It was a fools errand and, in Quintus Ennius' estimation (which, for once, Tremellius agreed with), only liable to get them killed along with Crassus. He could be anywhere in the desert, or, even more likely, already dead, and the chances of them finding him were slim to none in his estimation. And yet...

“I've found the imperator!” Marcus Pedarius came galloping back on his horse. His was the only one to still be alive, at least in their group (even Octavius was on foot now), and so he had been the unlucky sod who was tasked with moving ahead and scowering the landscape for Crassus. So it was much to everyone's surprise when he came back having actually discovered where Crassus was located.

“Where is he?” Octavius was barely able to shout, exhaustion too filling his voice.

“He's besieged on a small hill, not too far from here. From the looks of it, there's only a few cohorts with him. I doubt he can last long on his own”

At this, Octavius and a few others began at full sprint to follow Pedarius' lead. The rest of the men looked around at each other. Tremellius let out a sigh and turned his head towards Ennius. Ennius nodded to him. With their imperator so close, they could not, in good conscience, leave him behind.

“Well, what the hell are we waiting for? Are we Romans or are we cowards?” Tremellius rallied the men. There were scarcely 200 of them he guessed—the remnants of 3 cohorts, now so depleted there were not even enough of them to form half a cohort—but they could not condemn their comrades to death while they escaped quietly. “Let's move!”

Tremellius led the men down from their perch and onto Crassus' besieged hill, falling upon the unprepared Parthians besieging him and forcing them back.

“Form shields around the imperator!” Tremellius ordered. Octavius was near collapse, and Crassus seemed to be in another world, so it fell to Tremellius to organize the defense.

“There's not an arrow in Parthia that will touch the imperator, so long as one of us is left alive to fight in his defense!” one of the soldiers shouted.

“If we can just survive until darkness...” Ennius muttered to himself.

Just then an arrow pierced through Tremellius' shield, just above his arm. Realizing the next one could very well pin it to his shield, he removed his arm and grabbed his sword in his sheathe, using the handle to hammer his shield into the sand. Others, understanding what he was doing, began to do the same, while still others lifted their shield at an angle to deflect arrows from above. Then the arrows stopped, and Tremellius heard a voice travelling across the battlefield.

“My dear Roman friends,” the voice shouted to them. Tremellius risked peaking his head over his shield, and saw the soldier—presumably an officer, perhaps Surena himself?--unstring his bow and hold out his hand. Tremellius glanced at Ennius, who was equally perplexed by the gesture.

“It is against the king's wishes,” he said in accented Greek. Tremellius had picked up a little Greek over his year and a half in Syria, but he was barely able to follow what was being said. The officer continued, saying, “that we have been testing the courage and power of your soldiers.” Tremellius translated what was being said to Ennius and the others—well, at least what he thought was being said—while he continued his plea. “In reality, he has no harsh feelings towards you and wants, of his own accord, to prove his friendship by offering a truce if you with withdraw, and by allowing you to go away in safety.”

Cheers erupted from the Roman soldiers as a Latin translator near the officer re-iterated what was said in Latin. They urged Crassus to accept, sensing, finally, a way to get out of this nightmare alive. Crassus however, was unconvinced.

“It's a bloody trap” he insisted. “If the barbarian king was eager for peace, he would have gave it when we accepted his so-called truce back in Carrhae.” Tremellius, although overjoyed at the news as well, was inclined to agree with Crassus. Why should they trust the treacherous barbarians now, when they had lied to them before? The rest of the soldiers, however, were less rational, and began hurling abuse at Crassus.

“What a cowardly thing it is, for you to force us to fight in battle with an enemy whom you yourself appear to be afraid to meet even for the purpose of conversation, and when they clearly have no arms in their hands!” one shouted.

“Idiots!” Crassus lashed back. “If only we could hold out until darkness, we can reach the mountains and the rough country during the night,” he entreated, pointing in the direction towards safety. He pleaded with them, saying, “Please, comrades, I implore you to not give up hope when we are so close to escape and safety.”

As Tremellius witnessed plainly, the soldiers were hardly even listening, and would not be denied what they saw as their once chance at safety. They continued to hurl abuse on him, some even threatening him, and despite Tremellius and Octavius' attempts to calm them down, they were insistent on accepting Surena's offer to parley.

Terror could be seen plainly across Crassus' face, as he resigned himself to the soldiers' will, and started in the direction of Surena.

“Octavius, and Petronius, and all you other Roman officers present, you see that I am being forced to go this way. You are witnesses of the shameful and violent treatment which I have received. But if you escape and get safely home, tell them all there that Marcus Crassus died because he was deceived by the enemy, not because he was handed over to the enemy by his own countrymen.”

With those words, Crassus continued on towards the Parthians. Tremellius sighed, and once more looked over at Ennius who again nodded his agreement. The two walked forward and joined Crassus, and soon Octavius, Petronius, and their friends followed. His five lictors joined them, as did around 50 other soldiers, ashamed of the treatment of their imperator. They stayed with him despite Crassus' orders for them to stay back.

As they reached Surena's party, two of the Parthians rode up and dismounted from their horses, bowing in front of Crassus. They both stood up, and one of them spoke in Greek, “Please, send your party forward so that Surena may show them that he and his own party are coming to the meeting without armor or swords.”

“If I had considered the question of my own life,” Crassus replied, “I would have never put myself in your hands at all,” He nevertheless turned towards two men and ordered them to go inspect the Parthians.

Surena arrived shortly, having the two men bound and kept as hostages. He approached on horseback, commenting, “What is this? The Roman imperator on foot and we mounted?”

“We are both merely following our people's custom,” Crassus responded.

“Nonsense. Ardashir, bring the Roman imperator a horse,” Ardashir left to obtain a horse, and Surena started the proceedings with, “I believe that from now on, a state of peace exists between King Orodes and the Romans.” Some of the men cheered and patted each other on the back before Surena continued, saying, “It is necessary, however, to go forward as far as the river and have the terms of the agreement put formally into writing. This is because we find,” he continued, “that you Romans do not have very good memories about the terms of treaties.” Surena held out his hand, which Crassus took. Right then, Ardashir arrived with the horse, decked in a gold briddle.

“The king makes you a gift of this horse,”

The grooms hastily lifted Crassus up on into the saddle and then ran along beside him, dragging the horse and Crassus over to Surena and the Parthians. It immediately dawned on Tremellius what was going on and lunged for the horse, grabbing the brittle and trying to pull Crassus back.

“They're pulling him away!” he shouted, and Ennius was the first to join Tremellius in grabbing hold of the briddle, followed by Octavius and Petronius, while the others finally shook themselves out of their shock and followed suit. Ennius, having enough of the pulling, drew his sword and struck down one of the grooms. Tremellius saw another one about to strike him from behind, and drew his sword.

“Duck!” he yelled to Ennius, who duly obliged, allowing Tremellius to bring his sword the body of the groom, who then crumpled to the ground.

Tremellius turned to see Crassus run through with a sword and Octavius stabbed from behind. Petronius leaped from his horse and began joining the brawl, and Tremellius quickly realized he was going to have to be the one who exercised authority.

“Faustus!” he turned to the legionary next to him, one of the few men from his conturburnium still alive; “Get me Petronius' horse!”

“Ay, sir!” Faustus fought his way over to the horse while Tremellius made his way to Crassus, dragging his barely conscious imperator to the horse. “Help me get him up.” Together they lifted Crassus up onto the horse before Tremellius hopped on as well.

“Ennius, get Octavius! Lead the others back to the hill, they'll get slaughtered here!”

“Got it, sir!”

With an arrow whizzing past him, Tremellius kicked his horse and galloped off, not intending on stopping until he, hopefully, reached the main camp of Publius Crassus.

1st cohort: 89 confirmed dead, 104 wounded, and 3 missing. Fighting capacity, 284 head. Second cohort, 109 confirmed dead, 153 wounded, 5 missing. Fighting capacity, 213 head. 3rd cohort, 137 confirmed dead...”

Lucius Tremellius entered the command tent of Publius Crassus.

“Enough,” Crassus gestured for his aide to stop. “Yes, centurion?”

“Centurion Lucius Tremellius of the 1st cohort, 3rd legion, sir!” he saluted Crassus, thumping his chest and extending his arm.

“Ah, the one who saved me in battle a few days ago? What does me the honor of being able to stand in your presence?”

“Sir, the imperator...”

“My father...” Crassus interrupted him. “Is he okay?”

“Sir, he was ran through with a spear. I rode with him here as fast as I could, but he died along the way,” Crassus sat in silence, taking the information in.

“Well then, I...” he was interrupted by the entrance of Quintus Ennius. Tremellius was as surprised—and equally relieved, since it meant at least some of his group had made it back.

“Sir this is...”

“Quintus Ennius, Optio for Lucius Tremellius, sir!” Ennius finished the sentence, saluting Crassus.

“Ah, the other man who saved me. And why are you here?” he tried sounding professional and composed, in spite of his voice cracking and tears welling up in his eyes for his father.

“I left Ennius in command when I rode off with the imperator,” Tremellius explained.

Ennius added to it, explaining, “I led the men—well, most of them---back here. The tribune Octavius was wounded, but a soldier and I dragged him back with us. He's still alive. The other tribune, Petronius I believe his name is, was killed...sir.”Crassus sighed, wiping tears off his eyes.

“Who is this other soldier?” he asked Ennius.

“Faustus Rogelius, sir.”

“He also procured a horse for the imperator and helped him on,” Tremellius added.

“Well then,” Crassus tapped his fingers on his table, continuing, “I'd like to make you two and your friend an offer...I would like you three to join my bodyguard. You seem to have a knack for protecting important Romans, I think I'll be in good hands under your protection”

“Thank you sir,” Tremellius responded uneasily, “But I don't think we can accept.”

“And why would this be?”

“We...our place is in the legion sir.”

Crassus sighed once more, “Well at least you can accept this; I will return to Rome shortly. All three of you will be returning with me. Call it a vacation, time off. And then perhaps you'll come around to my proposal.”

“Yes, sir, thank you sir!” Tremellius and Ennius saluted and left the room.

“You'll come around,” Ennius patted him on the shoulder and split to go find Faustus.

Last edited:
I wonder if Pompey will perform a magical Parthian campaign down the line if he survives whatever tumult occurs at home...

Also:

iWUvwrX.jpg

Last edited:
Magical? *filler*
I jest. Nevertheless, Pompey will want to deal with this new adversary as in OTL eventually, especially if Crassus still lost his eagles. The question now is what happens to this Triumvirate since Marcus Crassus is dead but his son Publius is still alive? Does he take over his position? Will relations between Pompey and Caesar remain less sour? What are their views on client Kings BTW?

I jest. Nevertheless, Pompey will want to deal with this new adversary as in OTL eventually, especially if Crassus still lost his eagles. The question now is what happens to this Triumvirate since Marcus Crassus is dead but his son Publius is still alive? Does he take over his position? Will relations between Pompey and Caesar remain less sour? What are their views on client Kings BTW?
Publius has an independent public career of his own to stake out. As for everything else: A magician doesn't reveal his secrets.;)

Crassus had two sons :
- Publius (who was certainly the elder since Caesar have him important military responsibilities in the early 50's, which implies that Publius may have been quaestor in 58 and born around 89 or 88),
- and Marcus who was quaestor in 54 and was born around 85.

So It is clear that the power inherited from their father will be diminished by their youth, by their being two brother, and by the breach to their father's prestige caused by Carrhae.

Alea Iacta Est

Rome, July 3rd-4th, 701 AVC
3v18xW5.jpg

“Ah, Cicero, glad you can join us on such short notice!” Pompeius Magnus greeted Cicero in his atrium and led him back into the tabularium. Cicero was not surprised to see C. Cato and the recently convicted Rabirius Postumus already seated.

“Yes, well I could not very well refuse to come given the urgency in your message” he turned to sit down, greeting Cato and Postumus as he did so. The energy was visibly drained from Cicero, as he knew he was here for Pompeius to request--more like demand--of him more political favors. His unsuccessful defense of Aulus Gabinius and Rabirius, men he had made it widely known he loathed while Gabinius was in Syria, had costed his credibility dearly. He feared what Pompeius demanded of him now.

"Cicero, it is pleasant to see you join us," Rabirius patted him on the shoulder, "I have not seen much of you since the trial. I am terribly sorry for the political cost it has brought to you, I sincerely thought you would carry me to acquittal," Pompeius was visibly irritated at the mention of his defeat--for it was him that the prosecutors were really after in the trial--and Cicero was just as eager to leave the topic.

“Yes, well, I did not have that much of a choice now did I?" he stole a glare at Pompeius who looked away, "So, what is this urgent business that brings me here at this hour?”

Cato sighed before allowing Pompeius to speak, “It is Crassus.”

“Word from the east, I presume?”

“Yes...his son, Publius. He writes from Syria,” Pompeius handed him the letter, continuing, “Marcus Crassus is dead, and most of his army is gone with him.”

“Is Syria being overrun?” Cicero questioned, military matters were not his strong suit, nor was it what was really on his mind. The political ramifications of Crassus' defeat and death were massive, and those preoccupied his thoughts, even as he asked the question.

“Thankfully, no,” Cato intervened.

“For the moment--as far as we know, at least--the Parthians seem to have no intention of following up their victory,” Pompeius added, “I presume Ateius Capito will be prosecuted for his execration soon enough...”
he referred to the execration carried out by the then tribune upon Crassus' departure to assure bad omens followed him.

“No, no,” Cicero shook his head, “There's little to go on for any prosecution and he's political small fry anyway. It wouldn't be worth the effort.”

“Very well.”

“But I suspect,” Cicero continued, “You didn't invite me here to discuss the political future of Capito.”

“No, you are correct, there's more to it than that,” Pompey admitted as a slave brought them wine. Taking a sip, he continued, “I've come to talk about the effects of such a defeat on politics here in the city. Marcus Cato"--he made a point of distinguishing him from the Gaius Cato in their presence-- "and his ilk will smell blood when this is read in the Senate tomorrow.”

“And what of it? Of far more importance to you, surely, is the elections being held in a few days time and those a few months from now. There is little Cato can do at this moment except posture,” Cicero attempted to convince Pompeius of this, though he himself knew it was a lie. The Catonians had slowly been chipping away at the triumvirate's power steadily for over 6 years now—with Cicero's tacit approval-- and Crassus' death could very well allow the loyalty of the back benchers slip away from Pompeius and Caesar.

“Nonsense,” Cato commented, “Without Crassus Marcus Cato has even more of a window to launch attacks on Pompeius. His men are already relentlessly prosecuting our amici, and now with Crassus gone, the alliance looks as weak as ever”

"He's right," Rabirius added, "Pompeius..." Pompeius un-intentionally cut him off.

“The elections are already lost, you already know that Cicero, the scandals have ensured it. Rather,” Pompeius took another sip of his wine, “Since I can not win in the elections, I require assistance in the Curia,” Cicero shifted in his seat uneasily, knowing where this was going,

“Perhaps,” he paused, trying to find the right words, “Perhaps you can take this as an opportunity to start fresh and move back towards the middle. There are many who are opposed to you and Caesar and no friends of Cato either. There is possibly no better time to rebuild your dreamed grand coalition”

“Men like Metellius Scipio, I presume? They will never accept my alliance to Caesar”

No, men like myself, Cicero thought, holding his tongue. “I am sure then,” Cicero smelled an opportunity and was not about to let it slip easily from his grasp, “continuing on this current trajectory of defeat after defeat and constantly being on the defensive is the wise course then? Surely Caesar will appreciate an effort at building a more durable political alliance in preparation for the showdown sure to come over the consulship he seeks so badly?”

“And what makes you think they'll be willing to suddenly jump into bed with their enemy,” Cato chimed in.

“Politics is a fickle matter my friend, never underestimate a man's willingness to switch allegiances if given enough incentives,” Cicero wily countered.

“Very well, Cicero, I shall consider your input. This does not answer my need for summoning you here however...I require your assistance in gathering your friends to oppose whatever trick Cato conjures up,” Pompeius steered them back on track.

“I assure you, Pompeius,” Cicero tried to wiggle his way out, “I do not have many friends in the Senate, anymore,” Thanks to you, Cicero thought but did not dare say out loud.

Pompeius was not to be fooled,“Nonsense, there are many on the bench whose opinion will be swayed merely by your stance. In addition, I need you to support my receiving command of an expedition against Parthia in revenge for Crassus' defeat when the time comes.”

Cicero knew he could not agree to this. Nor did he particularly want to, for it would threaten to make his and Caesar's positions unassailable, which Cicero was loathe to do right when a rift appeared to open in the triumvirate.

“I can make no promises,” Cicero half spoke half muttered, looking away from Pompeius.

Pompeius realized he was getting nowhere fast with the man whose career he had patronized early on, and responded with, “I do not wish to once more resort to less than palatable means to get my agenda through, Cicero, so you'd be wise to at least not oppose it.”

Cicero got the message. He replied, resignation in his voice, “Very well then, I will see what I can do.”

These are the consequences of illegal war and bullying of Rome's friends and allies,” Cato took the occasion to rip into Pompeius and Caesar in the Senate. He was sure to follow this up with a scathing contio on the Rostra later in the day.

“Crassus conducted this war against the will of the gods, and against the will of the Roman people, and so we have paid for his arrogance and flaunting of Roman law. The alliance of Crassus, Pompeius, and Caesar have done nothing but bring chaos and destruction on the Republic for their behavior and actions,”he paused to the sound of cheering and heckling, “And what of Caesar? His war has been no less illegal than Crassus'! His illegal war is over according to his latest report, and yet rather than lay down his command and return to Rome as a private citizen, he chooses to expand it to a distant island to make yet more enemies for Rome! How many miles from his province is this island? How many more miles is he willing to go to expand his own power?!”

“Enough, Cato!” Cicero stood up and seeked permission to speak. After being granted such, he waited for the cheering and jeering to die down before launching into his speech; “This is not a time for launching into attacks and tirades on Caesar. I do not care how many miles from his province Caesar is now, nor, do I find it relevant to the defeat and death of Crassus. Caesar's pro-consulship is not set to expire at least 2 more years, I am sure you'll have ample time to verbally assault him when the time for that comes,” Pompeius stood up to speak, but Cicero cut him off.

2cfxrE5.jpg

“I would like to get a few more words in before I sit down, please,” he gestured to Pompeius to hold on, “It is pointless, also, to discuss what to do in regards to Parthia until Publius Crassus can return and give his full assessment of the situation there. Rather, I find the continued postponement of consular elections that have been going on for almost a year now, be put to a stop. Rome has been without a head since Ahenobarbus and Claudius Pulcher laid down their office 7 months ago...Anyone in Rome can go to a butcher in subura--although I doubt any of you fine noblemen will ever be caught dead there-- and they will see that a chicken without a head merely runs around in circles until it eventually dies," he paused again for dramatic effect as his point sank in.

"Therefore, with that grim comparison in mind, I find it reckless and irresponsible that we fall into line behind Cato and enter his echo chamber and proceed to tear ourselves apart over his feud with Caesar and Pompeius, while our august Republic moves in circles like a chicken without its head. The personal feud can wait for a more appropriate time, but the issue of institutions so essential to the functioning of the state cannot. I therefore motion that we set the elections for the Ides, so the wheels of our Republic can move forward at their regular pace once more."

Like that, Cicero steered the discussion and debate away from the toxic topic of Caesar and had stolen Cato's thunder. It was a slick move, allowing him to avoid having to take a position on either side, while still fulfilling his obligation to Pompeius for the moment. The motion passed overwhelmingly,and Cicero was satisfied at his handiwork as the Senate adjourned for the day.

Last edited:
I expected Cicero's speech to be more awesome.
I like this TL, will be following
I'll try and edit it and spruce it up a bit. It's really hard for me to try and capture Cicero's oratorical prowess. I'm starting to read upon his speeches more, so I should get better at portraying him as time moves on. He has a big role to play ITTL.

EDIT: I added a lot of meat to Cicero's speech, so to anyone whose already read it, it's much better than before so I'd recommend re-reading it.

Last edited:
So a few things:
1. I wonder how this change will effect Caesar's campaigning in Brittania, and/or the rebellion of Vercingetorix.
2. Will this butterfly away the assassination of Clodius Pulcher?*
3. How old is Gabinius, do you think?*
4. Will the Surena still get his head chopped off by his King Orodes in an act of jealousy?
5. What laws shall be enacted in the next few years?
6. Am I asking too many questions?
7. What's the POD kids name?

So a few things:
1. I wonder how this change will effect Caesar's campaigning in Brittania, and/or the rebellion of Vercingetorix.
This I cannot say.
2. Will this butterfly away the assassination of Clodius Pulcher?*
See above.
3. How old is Gabinius, do you think?*
He was praetor in 61 and consul in 58. I am not sure if he was consul in "his year" (his first year of eligibility), but assuming he was praetor in his year, then it appears that was the case. Meaning, he was born at the earliest 100 BCE, so I'll just roll with that and say he's 47 in 701 AVC.
4. Will the Surena still get his head chopped off by his King Orodes in an act of jealousy?
I don't subscribe to Plutarch's theory that Orodes had Surena killed, and am of the opinion that Surena was instead the Monaesus described in our sources during Antony's campaigns. Given how Plutarch constantly refers to him as "The Surena" I'm not entirely sure Surena just wasn't a title of his.
5. What laws shall be enacted in the next few years?
You shall see.
6. Am I asking too many questions?
No, just questions I can't really answer.
7. What's the POD kids name?
When he's adopted, Caius Julius Caesar Pompeianus.

Just one problem in your update, Sly.

Gabinius was condemned and exiled at that time (summer of 53 BC). ;)

On his return from Syria and Egypt, many knights, publicans, and Crassus were terribly angry at him (because he conflicted their interests, which means that he was a very good proconsul). They harrassed him in a series of trials by which they finally got him condemned and forced him into exile until Caesar brought back Gabinius to political war during the civil war.

Just one problem in your update, Sly.

Gabinius was condemned and exiled at that time (summer of 53 BC). ;)

On his return from Syria and Egypt, many knights, publicans, and Crassus were terribly angry at him (because he conflicted their interests, which means that he was a very good proconsul). They harrassed him in a series of trials by which they finally got him condemned and forced him into exile until Caesar brought back Gabinius to political war during the civil war.
Funny that you mentioned this. I just discovered while in school and skimming through the criminal trials section in Gruen's work, and I came across this. I was just coming on here to amend it. Gabinius was aquitted on the maiestas trial, where Cicero appeared as a prosecution witness, but was indeed convicted on the extortion trial, where Cicero was compelled by Pompey to testify in his defense, which severely shot Cicero's credibility. I actually half expected that by the time I got on here to amend it, you would have already pointed out the error.
So it's deliberate to use Alia (other) rather than Alea (die/dice)?
Hmmm, interesting...

EDIT: I have amended the meeting to replace Aulus Gabinius and have instead inserted Gaius Cato and Rabirius Postumus, both triumvirate partisans at the time, into the meeting.
Well shit. See, this is where my lack of understanding of Latin hurts. It is indeed supposed to be Alea, "die/dice" not Alia, "other". Thanks for bringing attention to this.

Last edited: