Map Thread XXII

Republics of the FPR Yugoslavia
  • People's Republic of Serbia
  • People's Republic of Montenegro
  • People's Republic of Macedonia
  • People's Republic of Kosovo
  • People's Republic of Petrovgrad
Why is Petrovgrad not called Banat? Also, if this rump Yugoslavia is Serb-led, which it looks to be, why not call Serbia something like Central Serbia or Pomoravlje to reduce the hurt Serbs would feel at having Kosovo and what's left of Vojvodina become distinct republics by not directly implying that the remaining Serbia is all of Serbia.

Why is Petrovgrad not called Banat? Also, if this rump Yugoslavia is Serb-led, which it looks to be, why not call Serbia something like Central Serbia or Pomoravlje to reduce the hurt Serbs would feel at having Kosovo and what's left of Vojvodina become distinct republics by not directly implying that the remaining Serbia is all of Serbia.
Petrovgrad is not called Banat because of pressure from the People's Republic of Romania, as that name was already taken by the Romanian Region of Banat.

I reiterate that I know basically nothing about post-war Balkan history. Blame the naming of the rest on the Soviets or something in-universe.

Petrovgrad is not called Banat because of pressure from the People's Republic of Romania, as that name was already taken by the Romanian Region of Banat.

I reiterate that I know basically nothing about post-war Balkan history. Blame the naming of the rest on the Soviets or something in-universe.

All sufficiently sensible explanations. Cool map btw, love the colours, I hope I didn't come off too negative with my questions.

I was originally working on an other map that showed the same concept but it had the entirety of North America at a later date. I couldn't quite decide on where I was going with it so I decided to go back further in time on work out from there how they could expand past the Mississippi. I quite like the result, so it may become it's own thing in a series or TL if I find the time for it.

xrqiBNNC_o.jpg
The Connecticut Western Reserve being there is such a win

I was originally working on an other map that showed the same concept but it had the entirety of North America at a later date. I couldn't quite decide on where I was going with it so I decided to go back further in time on work out from there how they could expand past the Mississippi. I quite like the result, so it may become it's own thing in a series or TL if I find the time for it.

xrqiBNNC_o.jpg
I'm so jealous of your maps - the shading is so perfect and the borders all look so clean 😭

Phenomenal work!

Crownlands of the Illyrian Realm
  • Duchy of Carniola, with the Princely County of Gorizia and Gradisca, the Margraviate in Istria, and Lordships of Trieste and on the Windic March
  • Kingdom of Croatia
  • Kingdom of Slavonia
  • Kingdom of Dalmatia, with the Duchies of Ragusa and Zara, and the Lordship of Cattaro
  • Voivodeship of Serbia

What about Bosnia?

Stretch

Donor

xrqiBNNC_o.jpg
I had to open the image in another tab just to let it load properly. Great map, just maybe find a less laggier image host in the future?

Very good map - only quibble is, given a situation like this, I’m surprised Spain is so pacific about Florida and the Trans-Appalachians - does the breakdown of the USA in 1789 affect the efforts by Wilkinson at precisely that point to convince Kentucky to make itself subject to Spain, in exchange for free trade down the Mississippi?
I haven't yet set a clear date for when the US fall apart, I took 1789 as a sort of start date, since this will be after a sort of ratification crisis. The states themselves will favor regional cooperation and eventually will stop sending people to the Congress all together. I think I read about that proposal somewhere, It would be interesting. One of the main tactics that Spain and also Britain will try to implement here is to play the various states off of each other. However the Napoleonic wars are still on track to happen so the nascent republic of Cumberland would'nt be under the Spanish for long.

I'm so jealous of your maps - the shading is so perfect and the borders all look so clean 😭

Phenomenal work!
Thanks for the kind words! many details I had to figure out over the years to make it look right.

I had to open the image in another tab just to let it load properly. Great map, just maybe find a less laggier image host in the future?
There doesn't seem to be a problem on my end, it could be related to the file size perhaps. I'll try to link it form somewhere else maybe.

View attachment 893963
Map of the former Yugoslavia on May 19, 1987 AD, three decades after the Austrian Restoration, one decade after the Collapse of Czechoslovakia, and 24 hours prior to the Fall of the USSR and the Collapse of the Warsaw Pact. I am not particularly well versed in post-WWII Balkan history so I have no idea if this scenario is even remotely plausible, but they say that reality is often stranger than fiction. The basic gist of it is that Yugoslavia is a willing Axis member ITTL, but the war ends aroud the same time as OTL and the country gets partitioned into occupation zones like Germany post-war. A different war around the Balkans and southern Germany/northern Italy means that Austria ends up firmly in the Western Bloc and the Allied occupation zones in Yugoslavia are in the north of the country while the Soviet zone is in the south. In 1951, Soviet Occupation Zone in Yugoslavia is reconstituted as the Federal People's Republic of Yugoslavia, a full member of the Warsaw Pact. Meanwhile, the (Western) Allied Occupations of Yugoslavia in the north are reorganised as the Provisional Government of Northern Yugoslavia, which comes to be dominated by Croat and Slovene monarchists who restore Otto to the throne and form the Habsburg Realm of Illyria, abandoing pretensions to being the legitimate Yugoslavian government.
Honestly if Yugoslavia had been a willing Axis member i doubt it will be rewarded with the entire Istria plus Trieste, expecially if all Tyrol has been given to Austria (OTL partition plan of the zone were lot less generous due to the fear that with the big territoriall loss towards Jugoslavia, being too harsh will have given to the PCI too much ammunition)

Honestly if Yugoslavia had been a willing Axis member i doubt it will be rewarded with the entire Istria plus Trieste, expecially if all Tyrol has been given to Austria (OTL partition plan of the zone were lot less generous due to the fear that with the big territoriall loss towards Jugoslavia, being too harsh will have given to the PCI too much ammunition)
The Italian Civil War goes differently ITTL and Umberto II's decidely anti-communist government is in full control of Italy except those territories by the end of the war, but his government all has some continuity with the fascist government, so those territories are the Allies' price for recognising the new Italian government. Also, Illyria ITTL is painted by the Allies as "unwilling parts of a Serb-dominated Yugoslavia", just as Austria was considered to be "the first victim of Nazi aggression in Europe."

The Italian Civil War goes differently ITTL and Umberto II's decidely anti-communist government is in full control of Italy except those territories by the end of the war, but his government all has some continuity with the fascist government, so those territories are the Allies' price for recognising the new Italian government. Also, Illyria ITTL is painted by the Allies as "unwilling parts of a Serb-dominated Yugoslavia", just as Austria was considered to be "the first victim of Nazi aggression in Europe."
Price for recognizing the government?
First any government that do that will last a picosecond regardless of who is in charge, Umberto do that and can get for him, his family and the entire governmetn a ticket for any country that's not Italy.
Second the Allied already recognized the new italian government by being a cobelligerant post surrender,
Third why so generous with a willing Axis nation, because well Illirya is hardly more strategically important than Italy, quite the contrary? OTL it was a mix of faith accomplit by Tito that basically occupied all the territory included Trieste (from where he was evicted by the allies) and attempt to conquer favor from him by the American after his breack up with Stalin, here the
Fourth the Italian civil war was a limited sideshow of the italian front in WW2 aka the allied already controlled the entire place and any communist revolt don't have any chance and they know it (violence a lot but anyone in charge knows that a full attempt of revolution was a suicide), ITTL even more if the occupation of the westernallied force go further in Yugoslavia
Fifth as i said, there were enough worries that punish too much Italy will have created an hostile political enviroment, for this reason not only it was decided to not make it give up South Tyrol but all the partition plan hardly give Austria all that territory. Same reasoning go for Istria

But why wouldn't it be directly be part of the US after? I just don't see there being a reason for America to give up control of Alaska as they've bought it from Russia.
I know I'm not the original author of the map, but it is important to note that most of the French and British colonies are also territories. It's possible that part of the federation process was giving up any colonies.

I know I'm not the original author of the map, but it is important to note that most of the French and British colonies are also territories. It's possible that part of the federation process was giving up any colonies.
true, but I don't think Alaska would count as a colony? I just find it weird since most of the people there would see themselves as American.

Iron Curtain Fall Year 2013 by Fratsup.png

This is a map for the year 2013 for the map game Iron Curtain Call: A 1992 Map Game by @Breme13 .

As a whole the world is currently stuck into a cold war between the Indo-Chinese Block and the rest of the world. South America is dominated by authoritative nations. The Algeria-Libya block dominate North Africa and have become major powers in their own right. Iran is under the Shaw again and is becoming increasingly Zoroastrian, while Indonesia/Nusantar is committing a mass genocide against several members of the nation including their conquests of Papua New Guinea. Mexico fell to the cartels after fighting a decades long war with the Zapatista and a worse economic situation leading to the creation of the Union of Development and Progress a alliance of minarchist or at least business oriented nations.

And so much more.

Timeline191ModernDay.png

The Second Great War was the deadliest war in Human history. Millions of people were killed in the conflict, with several major cities destroyed (some of them by superbombs), famines across the world and the world economy bankrupt. The worst atrocities of the war were seen in the Americas, where the Fetherson Confederacy launched its “population reductions”, genociding millions of African-Americans and other people viewed as “undesirables”. This would go on to profoundly scar the American psyche, leading to several changes in the country such as the outlawing of segregation. In Europe, the Germans have once again solidified their dominance over Europe and ensured the total defeat of the British, French and Russians. The French and British empires were essentially dissolved by the war, with most of their colonies either being annexed or declaring independence. In the Pacific, the Japanese would take over most of the European colonies there, ensuring their domination in East Asia. Although US and German relations started off positively in the early post-war years, by 1950, the two countries were locked in a cold war against each other, wanting to expand their influence in each other backyards. This Cold War would soon involve Japan, hoping to expand their influence into Africa, Asia and South America. In the former Confederacy, the US would set up a military occupation in hopes of integrating them back into the union. Through this, they removed the planter class from political power and replaced them with labour unions who were sympathetic to their cause of integration. The border states (such as Virginia, Tennessee and North Carolina) would successfully assimilate and become states again. The Deep South was much more hostile to American forces, with guerrilla fighters launching attacks against US troops. By the 1960s, many Americans grew tired of the occupation, resulting in the US beginning to withdraw from the Deep South. This caused issues with the African Americans living there, as they believed that an independent South would discriminate against them. It was decided that the Deep South would be partitioned, with the Freedman Republic being for the black population, the Peoples Republic of Dixieland for the White population (with autonomy for the majority black regions) and the Free State of Louisiana for the Creole population. In Canada, the majority of Canadians born after the First Great War would largely assimilate into American culture, having never grown up in an independent Canada. The only exception was Ontario, where Canadian nationalism raged on, leading to the US separating the province as its own independent nation. In Europe, Germany would come to dominate most of the continent, with Britain, Portugal and Russia being the exception. France would be divided between the Pro-German north and the Pro-American south, and the country would become one of the most tense regions in the entire Cold War. German control in Africa was a lot more shaky. Having annexed most of France and Britain's colonies there, MittleAfrika became bloated as the Germans were unable to run it all. This allowed the African independent movement to grow, leading to the decolonization of the continent from the 1950s to 1970s. Ottoman-German relations by the 1960s would grow more strained, as the Germans attempted to spread their influence into the Middle East, Caucasia and North Africa much to the annoyance of the Ottomans, who essentially switched sides and became allies of the Japanese. The Japanese power on the world stage would decline after its heavy loss in the Second Sino-Japanese War, where China was able to resist the Japanese after nearly two decades of gruelling conflict. By the 1980s and 1990s, the Cold War would begin to cool down. Germany and Japan would lose control over Europe and East Asia, while the US was able to secure its position in the Americas. In 2010, a summit between American and German ambassadors was launched in Berlin, in hopes of finally ending the Cold War, with Japan proposing a similar summit.