Map Thread XXII

This is the first of two related maps I'm working on; the second map will be obvious, but I'm gonna see if anyone can guess what it's from.

Not gonna include many notes since I included so much info on the map itself but;
1. The political and cultural boundaries of the world have changed over time, so what we consider to be say Central Asia today is not what is considered Central Asia in the map.
2. This is the first population map using an expanded color scheme, I'll likely adopt a slightly modified version for all my future population maps.
3. The entirety of Asia (which does not include the Middle-East) accounts for just under half of the entire world population; ten years ago ITTL it was just over half.
4. India's population has recently peaked, but it will most likely hold the title of most populous country in history for a very, very long time.
5. That's a USSR, not Mega-Russia.

View attachment 888153
I do have to wonder, did the British lose or give up Gibraltar here and are the Cayman Islands also annexed by the Bahamas like the Turk and Caicos? While I was going to assume that it was just a Crown Dependencies or Overseas Territory sort of thing (if not for the Bahamas) it looks as though the British went against Chile and Argentina to annex a bit of Antarctica and have it and the Falklands count as part of the metropole. Also, would Northern Ireland/Ulster be a member-state in this European Federation? Hopefully so, if only to balance out them out numerically with the French and German speaking members.

image.png

This was supposed to be modern-day Europe I think, there's very little lore or reason aside from making it look anachronistic to the modern eye tho so idk why anything is the way it is
Here are my guesses:
- Knights of Malta ended up in Gotland (this almost happened IOTL IIRC)
- The French revolutionaries won, but not to the margins of OTL Napoleon, and the Pope got Avignon back at the peace table in exchange for... something.
- Either France never took over Corsica, or it's a Bourbon remnant.
- Sweden allied with France in the Revolutionary Wars, losing half of Finland and gaining Rugen
- That's the Republic of Liege, the Helvetic Republic, and Italian and Venetian client states in OTL Belgium, Switzerland, and northern Italy.
- The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies took over some other Venetian possessions.
- The grey area is a WIP German union, stemming from something like 1848. Schelswig-Holstein could be another Pan-German state which couldn't join up because Hannover was in the way.
- Other German states: Bayern, Saxony, Oldenberg, Hannover, Mecklenburg, non-wanked Prussia-Brandenburg.
- The Ottoman Empire split down the middle at some point. I'm not sure if the one on the left is a Yugoslavia which made concessions to the Greeks and Albanians, an orthodox Christian state (perhaps the Albanians weren't converted?).
- I have no good explanation for what's going on in and around Romania, other than maybe that we're looking at half a dozen Ottoman vassals that were recently granted independence.
- I'm guessing that Ruthenia and Livonia were carved out of Russia during a war after the revolutionary wars, perhaps during an alt-Russian Revolution.
- Crimean Tatar khanate
- Abkhazia
- Georgia
- Kumyk Shamkhalate(?) stronk!
- Probably an Armenian or Kurdish principality carved out of Iran at some point

I like the concept of a CP victory German nuclear project, I'm just not sure Einstein would willingly work on such a thing even though he'd still be in Germany ITTL.
Originally I was going to have him defect to the British precisely because of his views. But ended up not mentioning it. I had Einstein take the place of Szilard because of my thinking that because of his Hungarian ties he might be seen as a liability on the super secret project thor. If this world was completely real then probably the best option for the leader of the theoretical side of the project would likely be Max Planck. But my thought was that Einstein is so much more fun to stick on the map, and it is possible but less likely that he might see the nuclear weapon as a peacetime weapon designed to prevent another great war. If he did think that then him working on the project could be reasonable.

Or maybe someone like Max Born or Friedrich Hund? Edward Teller studied under Friedrich Hund, for example...
Oh yeah Friedrich Hund would be a good choice. Im thinking that Fermi likely led the Italian project and Edward Teller went to the UK. Planck is of course very old in the 40s but elder scientist leading the theoretical side and helping the youngin's doing the experimentation is pretty fun.

The Lordship of Valencia
the personal lordship of El Cid Campeador (for those who don't know, a pretty famous figure of the Reconquista).​
Basically, this man was a mercenary leader with amazing skills, who fought for the Christian and Muslim kingdoms alike. By the end of his career, he managed to conquer and carve a state of its own in the Mediterranean region of Balansiya (today's Valencia), until his death in late 1099.
Disclaimer: the map is in Spanish, mainly because it was made for the Wikipedia article of the matter, but it's not hard to understand.

Se%C3%B1or%C3%ADo_de_Valencia_1099.png

I do have to wonder, did the British lose or give up Gibraltar here
Without going into to much detail, England is in many ways a pariah state by the time of the map and the (federal) EU at some point offered Gíbraltar a better deal.

and are the Cayman Islands also annexed by the Bahamas like the Turk and Caicos?

No, they're an independent republic.

While I was going to assume that it was just a Crown Dependencies or Overseas Territory sort of thing (if not for the Bahamas) it looks as though the British went against Chile and Argentina to annex a bit of Antarctica and have it and the Falklands count as part of the metropole.

England basically decided to ignore international agreements (which admittedly don't mean as much anymore) on Antarctic and has set-up a permanent settlement and began resource extraction.
Also, would Northern Ireland/Ulster be a member-state in this European Federation? Hopefully so, if only to balance out them out numerically with the French and German speaking members.

It rejoined Ireland prior to Federalization, so it's not a state, however the Irish government treats both parts equally so it's not a problem for them.

It rejoined Ireland prior to Federalization, so it's not a state, however the Irish government treats both parts equally so it's not a problem for them.
Ahhh yes, you mentoined this map is based on something. Could not guess what, so the second map will tell a lot more. I am curious about if the Channel Islands and Isle of Man will be basically neutral here, but I guess that depends if there is still a Kingdom of Britain or England. Possibly they still use the name United Kingdom of a Great Britain to refer to the union between England and Wales, but for a region like Europe a pariah state needs a snappy name. Guessing something communist. Anyways, Greenland independent here? Seems strange to that way when the Nordic countries all unified, but perhaps with the Americans, Canadians, and British breaking up they... Hmmm, o. Still cannot see why they would go indendent. Must be the Scandinavian in me. Still, if it was your decision to add that to the map I would say it was a good choice. Splits up the monotony of the color between the Nordic and Canadians.

Ahhh yes, you mentoined this map is based on something. Could not guess what, so the second map will tell a lot more.

Yeah the second one will be have information as well as a bunch of lore I came up with that I'll add with it as well.

I am curious about if the Channel Islands and Isle of Man will be basically neutral here

Neutrality basically does not exist in this world, the only times anyone ever claims to be neutral it's to give themselves more time to prepare.

The Channels Islands are a Euro Protectorate while the Isle of Mann (it uses two N's ITTL) is an independent republic that generally retains good relations with England and Europe, but also has several international backers that wouldn't have an issue kidnapping MPs families to get them to back down if it came down to it.

but I guess that depends if there is still a Kingdom of Britain or England.

Possibly they still use the name United Kingdom of a Great Britain to refer to the union between England and Wales, but for a region like Europe a pariah state needs a snappy name.

It's the Kingdom of England; the official name change was one of the last changes before things went to crap in England and it was retained as the new government is based on English Nationalism, which unfortunately also means that Wales is no longer autonomous and the Welsh language was declared extinct as a first language in 2067.

Anyways, Greenland independent here? Seems strange to that way when the Nordic countries all unified, but perhaps with the Americans, Canadians, and British breaking up they... Hmmm, o. Still cannot see why they would go indendent. Must be the Scandinavian in me. Still, if it was your decision to add that to the map I would say it was a good choice. Splits up the monotony of the color between the Nordic and Canadians.

Sort of an inverse to Ireland, Greenland became independent before the Nordica unified; without going into it, the reason for the Nordics unifying is that this is a much more dangerous world and the EU, being one of the last bastions of idealism, was not willing to militarize to the extent that the Nords knew was needed (though that stopped when Paris was hit) so they went there own way, which was easier since ITTL Finland never joined and Sweden was a case of Member In Name Only towards the end.

vHBgWoZ.png

cp victory continues
Following the victory of Japan in the Great War, they grew confident, they had not lost a war to a foreign power in their meteoric rise since 1863. It was the popular belief among the Japanese that they were superior to the European powers. After the war Japan was eager to exploit her position, they had defeated the Germans, the French were a husk barely holding on to a dying empire, the Americans hadn't even bothered to lift a finger to help Europe. As far as Japan was concerned, they only had the British to be concerned with.

Japan

In 1931 Japan would launch an invasion of Manchuria and establish a puppet government easily taking it from the fledging Republic of China.
In 1931 Japan would issue an ultimatum to the French republic, sell us Indochina or we will take it. The French were forced to accept after the British prime minister told the french president they would be unable to support them in a war with Japan.

In 1935 the Japanese would launch a full scale invasion of China. Quickly overwhelming the entire Eastern coast of China pushing deep into China. However the war had no strategic goal other than destroy China. Unlike Japan's previous wars which were quick things that exploited distracted or unprepared enemies, the war in China turned into an endless quagmire with no possible victory for them. By 1940 the war had dragged to a standstill, running low on supplies due to sanctions from western powers Japan was very near to a crisis. The navy wanted to expand the war by attacking Dutch Indonesia for oil while the army wanted to expand the war by invading Siberia to regain some pride. However the Japanese would be partially saved after the Dutch, British and Americans expanded the sanctions to an oil embargo by the Ottomans who refused to recognize the oil embargo. Forced with no option but to allow the Ottomans to sell oil or to attack their tankers and risk war with Germany the British allowed the Ottomans to sell oil to the Japanese.

In early 1941 as the navy continued to push the emperor to approve an invasion of English and American holdings the army launched a coup, not to protect Japan from starting an unwinnable war, but simply to preserve their own power as the favored military branch. The emperor would be confined to the palace as the army sent evermore resources and young men into the maw of central China.

Over the next 4 years the Japanese would grind themselves into dust, until the unthinkable happened and the Chinese began to push themback. As they lost their gains Japan erupted into near civil war once again, the emperor and his allies would despose the Army government and re-establish civilian control. A negotiated peace would occur in china in early 1945. That saw them able to keep much of northern china while they were forced to withdraw from the south.

Over the last 15 years Japan has slowly begun to rebuild and the military industrial complex of the Japanese empire has in many ways been neutered. However the situation would change once again as on January 3rd 1960 the Japanese would test their first nuclear bomb in northern Manchuria, a weapon of war that no country had so far dared to use, and one of such great power that the weak Republic of China could hope to overcome. The drums of war began to beat once again in Tokyo as the flames of war once again reignited.

India:

In the Aftermath of the Great War the British hung onto India tightly, the crown jewel of the empire. Their 'loss' to the Germans showed the British that their position of hegemons of the world were not unassailable. Defeatism plagued Britain throughout the 1920s as the prevailing thought was that had they not sought peace when they did in 1918 the Germans could have even invaded the home isles (of course in reality the German government very nearly collapsed and was only saved by the war ending when it did, The Prussian war machine may have not survived another 6 months of war even just in France.). But this defeatism led the British to clutching their empire tightly but the more tightly they held onto the jewel of India the more it seemed to slip from their grasp.
News of British oppression and massacres of protestors enraged the Indians as several decades of peaceful protest and demonstration went unheard by London.
As Indian independence movement grew the British increasingly resisted giving any sort of autonomy to India. Finally in 1954 the British would agree to form the dominion of India and allow them a semblance of independence. But it was too late, many of the states refused to recognize the authority of the dominion government and the Republic of India was declared, less than 6 months later a second independence movement declared its own government, The Caliphate of Industan. And in 1957 the communist portion of the Republic of India would separate forming the Revolutionary Army of India.

Now India finds itself embroiled in full scale civil war as they clash against the British and amongst themselves.

This is the first of two related maps I'm working on; the second map will be obvious, but I'm gonna see if anyone can guess what it's from.

Not gonna include many notes since I included so much info on the map itself but;
1. The political and cultural boundaries of the world have changed over time, so what we consider to be say Central Asia today is not what is considered Central Asia in the map.
2. This is the first population map using an expanded color scheme, I'll likely adopt a slightly modified version for all my future population maps.
3. The entirety of Asia (which does not include the Middle-East) accounts for just under half of the entire world population; ten years ago ITTL it was just over half.
4. India's population has recently peaked, but it will most likely hold the title of most populous country in history for a very, very long time.
5. That's a USSR, not Mega-Russia.

Not sure where this is from/what it's based on ... but am I right in seeing the Antarctic Peninsula coloured as if its population is in the high tens of millions?!

Not sure where this is from/what it's based on ... but am I right in seeing the Antarctic Peninsula coloured as if its population is in the high tens of millions?!

Yes and no; the map is only showing the populations of countries overall, not differentiating between parts; that part of Antarctica has been directly incorporated into England, which has a population in the high tens of millions, the actual area itself is only in the tens of thousands.

Crossposting from my DeviantArt account.

dgw9jmh-068e91e1-b74e-4c9f-83ab-866a8fa226d2.png

This is my personal interpretation of the Mass Relay network in Mass Effect. The galactic map provided in the game serves primarily as a gameplay tool rather than an accurate representation of the vastness of space and scale of the galaxy. It is kind of hard to believe that only a few dozen settled star systems exist within the expansive universe of Mass Effect. Thus, I crafted my own vision of the Mass Relay network, showing a sprawling network that spans across numerous sectors and encompasses a multitude of galactic regions. I tried to capture what such a colossal galactic network could plausibly look like.

In the context of the Galactic Mass Relay Network, the administrative definition of a Cluster diverges from its astronomical counterpart. While in astronomy, clusters denote groups of stars bound by self-gravitation; within the Mass Effect universe, a Cluster signifies a 3D region centered around a Star System that possesses at least one Mass Relay. These Clusters are not individually depicted on the map; rather, each hexagon represents an entire sector, comprising 21 Clusters each, meaning there are a total of 86,436 clusters across the galaxy, each with at least a dozen garden worlds. Sectors, on the other hand, serve as each of the hexagons visible on the map, they constitute regions of space composed of numerous Clusters linked to the same Hub System, with 4,116 sectors in total. Supersectors emerge as collections of seven Sectors, with one Sector serving as the core linked to six other Sectors. There are a total of 588 Supersectors in the galaxy. And then, Regions, generally encompass seven Supersectors, with each Region possessing a core Supersector connected to the 2nd Lvl Primary Relay System, with a unique link to the 1st Lvl Primary Relay System. Regions may have fewer supersectors at the galaxy's edge. Finally, the Trine divisions of the galaxy resemble slicing it like a pizza into three equal segments, each boasting a Trine hub with six 1st Lvl Primary Relay Connections, serving as convergence points for circumgalactic highways. The galaxy's three Trine hubs include the Widow System, the Omega System, and the Antares System. Acting as the primary hub, the Citadel not only serves as a Trine Hub but also features Grand Connections, the longest relay connections in the galaxy.

There are seven types of Star Systems in the Mass Relay Network:

Star System
- Just an ordinary star system. There are billions throughout the galaxy.

Relay System - A star system with at least one Mass Relay. The most common type of a Relay System is a star system with one Secondary Relay, an example of which is the Sol System. There are 86,436 Relay Systems in the galaxy. They serve as the central star system of Clusters.

Hub System (or Sector Hub) - A Relay System, but this time with at least one Primary Relay. Other than being the central star system of their Clusters, they also serve as the central star system of their Sectors. 4,116 of the 86,436 Relay Systems in the galaxy are Hub Systems.

Supersector Hub - A Hub System, but this time with at least one 2nd Level - Primary Relay. Other than being the central star system of their Clusters and Sectors, they also serve as the central star system of their Supersectors. 588 of the 4,116 Hub Systems in the galaxy are Supersector Hubs.

Regional Hub - A Supersector Hub, but this time with at one 1st Level - Primary Relay, making them connected to the Galactic Ring Roads. Other than being the central star system of their Clusters, Sectors, and Supersectors, they also serve as the central star system of their Regions. 84 of the 588 Supersector Hubs in the galaxy are Regional Hubs.

Trine Hub - A Regional Hub, but this time with six 1st Level - Primary Relays, being not just connected to the Galactic Ring Roads, but also being their nexuses. Other than being the central star system of their Clusters, Sectors, Supersectors, and Regions, they also serve as the central star system of their respective one-third slice of the galaxy, a Trine. Only three of the 84 Regional Hubs are Trine Hubs: Antares, Omega, and Widow.

Widow System (or Citadel System) - A Trine Hub, but this time sporting the Grand Relays, not only serving as a nexus of the Galactic Ring Roads, but also having direct Grand Relay connections to various parts of the galaxy, making the Citadel System a shortcut to anywhere in the galaxy. Of the 86,436 Relay Systems of the galaxy, the Citadel System is the hub of them all, sporting a total of twenty-five Mass Relays.

Yes and no; the map is only showing the populations of countries overall, not differentiating between parts; that part of Antarctica has been directly incorporated into England, which has a population in the high tens of millions, the actual area itself is only in the tens of thousands.
Ahh, thanks for clarifying.

vHBgWoZ.png

cp victory continues
Following the victory of Japan in the Great War, they grew confident, they had not lost a war to a foreign power in their meteoric rise since 1863. It was the popular belief among the Japanese that they were superior to the European powers. After the war Japan was eager to exploit her position, they had defeated the Germans, the French were a husk barely holding on to a dying empire, the Americans hadn't even bothered to lift a finger to help Europe. As far as Japan was concerned, they only had the British to be concerned with.

Japan

In 1931 Japan would launch an invasion of Manchuria and establish a puppet government easily taking it from the fledging Republic of China.
In 1931 Japan would issue an ultimatum to the French republic, sell us Indochina or we will take it. The French were forced to accept after the British prime minister told the french president they would be unable to support them in a war with Japan.

In 1935 the Japanese would launch a full scale invasion of China. Quickly overwhelming the entire Eastern coast of China pushing deep into China. However the war had no strategic goal other than destroy China. Unlike Japan's previous wars which were quick things that exploited distracted or unprepared enemies, the war in China turned into an endless quagmire with no possible victory for them. By 1940 the war had dragged to a standstill, running low on supplies due to sanctions from western powers Japan was very near to a crisis. The navy wanted to expand the war by attacking Dutch Indonesia for oil while the army wanted to expand the war by invading Siberia to regain some pride. However the Japanese would be partially saved after the Dutch, British and Americans expanded the sanctions to an oil embargo by the Ottomans who refused to recognize the oil embargo. Forced with no option but to allow the Ottomans to sell oil or to attack their tankers and risk war with Germany the British allowed the Ottomans to sell oil to the Japanese.

In early 1941 as the navy continued to push the emperor to approve an invasion of English and American holdings the army launched a coup, not to protect Japan from starting an unwinnable war, but simply to preserve their own power as the favored military branch. The emperor would be confined to the palace as the army sent evermore resources and young men into the maw of central China.

Over the next 4 years the Japanese would grind themselves into dust, until the unthinkable happened and the Chinese began to push themback. As they lost their gains Japan erupted into near civil war once again, the emperor and his allies would despose the Army government and re-establish civilian control. A negotiated peace would occur in china in early 1945. That saw them able to keep much of northern china while they were forced to withdraw from the south.

Over the last 15 years Japan has slowly begun to rebuild and the military industrial complex of the Japanese empire has in many ways been neutered. However the situation would change once again as on January 3rd 1960 the Japanese would test their first nuclear bomb in northern Manchuria, a weapon of war that no country had so far dared to use, and one of such great power that the weak Republic of China could hope to overcome. The drums of war began to beat once again in Tokyo as the flames of war once again reignited.

India:

In the Aftermath of the Great War the British hung onto India tightly, the crown jewel of the empire. Their 'loss' to the Germans showed the British that their position of hegemons of the world were not unassailable. Defeatism plagued Britain throughout the 1920s as the prevailing thought was that had they not sought peace when they did in 1918 the Germans could have even invaded the home isles (of course in reality the German government very nearly collapsed and was only saved by the war ending when it did, The Prussian war machine may have not survived another 6 months of war even just in France.). But this defeatism led the British to clutching their empire tightly but the more tightly they held onto the jewel of India the more it seemed to slip from their grasp.
News of British oppression and massacres of protestors enraged the Indians as several decades of peaceful protest and demonstration went unheard by London.
As Indian independence movement grew the British increasingly resisted giving any sort of autonomy to India. Finally in 1954 the British would agree to form the dominion of India and allow them a semblance of independence. But it was too late, many of the states refused to recognize the authority of the dominion government and the Republic of India was declared, less than 6 months later a second independence movement declared its own government, The Caliphate of Industan. And in 1957 the communist portion of the Republic of India would separate forming the Revolutionary Army of India.

Now India finds itself embroiled in full scale civil war as they clash against the British and amongst themselves.
At what point in history did the Philippines fall under the sway of the Japanese? I cannot really think of when there would be someone suitable for a setting up a Kingdom, with a Republic likely being just as easily swayable by the Japanese, due to business and military interests being able to threaten or bribe members of the cabinet or legislature. Or just be seen as supporting them, such as for claiming Sabah for the Philippines, even if it was based on the old claims of a Sultan. I am assuming that the Philippines used to be American here? As the post talked about invading American holdings, and I cannot see them having any outside of Hawaii (or the South Pacific) if they did not get the Philippines. Though I guess that would make having ports in China even more important, which they did not get IOTL (partially because they didn’t want official treaty ports, and partially because the Japanese prevented the Chinese from giving them one.). I see Midway has the same light shade of yellow as Imperial China, the Philippines, and Thailand. That an oversight or just meant to be with the Philippines since there was no war with the Americans? Are Hainan or the Spratley islands meant to be a part of Annam or the Japanese metropole?

Also curious about Burma. It have the same situation as Thailand in the modern day, with a Bhuddist monarch in top as a a symbol, while the Army runs everything? Presumably while also smashing any democrats, socialists, Muslims, Christians, minorities, like Myanmar currently does. Or did the British set up the Kingdom? My interest is partially because I noticed the Andaman and Nicobar Islands colored Burmese blue, though without being attached to their IOTL islands. They invaded and annexed them? Or did they just put them under a very long term occupation that nobody expects to ever actually end? I imagine the Royal Navy still wants at least the use there, though perhaps they are less needed for shipping or refueling at that point. Looking back at Thailand, I see they have not gained any land. Given them parts of Laos and Cambodia they had during WWII might be considered alright with the Cambodians and Vietnamese here, given how they are both under more Japanese control as well as how Annam got the rest of Laos, while Cambodia got Cochinchina. Also, any reason no Kazakh border is shown? I look forward to seeing what you end up doing with the Middle East and other regions.

Last edited:
This was originally going to be part of my earlier map, but since I couldn't figure out an aesthetic way to add it I didn't include it, but I figured I'd post it in case anyone's interested.

Pr80 Fed Pops.png