Cessa o Nevoeiro: O Surgir do Quinto Império - A Portuguese Timeline

This Drax the Destroyer seems far too aggressive for what I think of Henrique and laughs a lot. Henrique is more akin to a Stannis Baratheon with Robert Baratheon's strength.
Regardless, I'm expecting many a faux pas at ballrooms and royal dinners across Europe on Henrique's unwitting part.

Lusitania

Donor
Regardless, I'm expecting many a faux pas at ballrooms and royal dinners across Europe on Henrique's unwitting part.
Depends on his education. A lot of kids and adults with autism can learn how to behave and act. With proper help and “assistance,” he can navigate. That is coming from a parent of a child with autism.

Last edited:
Depends on his education. A lot of kids and adults with autism can learn how to behave and act. With proper help and “assistance,” he can navigate. That is coming from a parent of a child with autism.
Even with the 17th Century equivalent of social skills training faux pas and gaffes are still bound to happen, Lord knows they still do with me (diagnosed autist).

Lusitania

Donor
Even with the 17th Century equivalent of social skills training faux pas and gaffes are still bound to happen, Lord knows they still do with me (diagnosed autist).
Yes, it will; it happened with those not autistic. What I meant was that depending on the severity of it, many can learn to navigate many different circumstances instead of being institutionalized.

Yes, it will; it happened with those not autistic. What I meant was that depending on the severity of it, many can learn to navigate many different circumstances instead of being institutionalized.
Henrique will not have an easy life, especially with his half-brother there to make everything harder. I had multiple ideas that I came up with long ago for him and his friends and some intrigue as well. That said, I hope no one takes offence regarding Henrique's personality and autism as it seems that some of the readers seem to be well acquainted with it or know someone who does. I myself have not been diagnosed with autism but I do have some traits such as fixation on things, social ineptitude and a few others so I too understand the situation and it's not like Henrique will be the first or the last with autism.

Lusitania

Donor
Henrique will not have an easy life, especially with his half-brother there to make everything harder. I had multiple ideas that I came up with long ago for him and his friends and some intrigue as well. That said, I hope no one takes offence regarding Henrique's personality and autism as it seems that some of the readers seem to be well acquainted with it or know someone who does. I myself have not been diagnosed with autism but I do have some traits such as fixation on things, social ineptitude and a few others so I too understand the situation and it's not like Henrique will be the first or the last with autism.
Yes, you are correct. It will add intrigue to TL. We have clear examples in our history of what happens to those who are "deemed" unfit to rule. At best is to be locked up in a "institution" more like a prison. Or they could be manipulated/tricked to give power to those who wish to control them and country.

I think you need to be at least a little bit on the spectrum to spend all your free time on an alternate history forum. On another note, are we going to get a future Portuguese (or otherwise Lusophone) TV show called O Bom Monarca about Henrique (or another future autistic Portuguese king) where the most famous scene is him repeatedly shouting EU SOU UM MONARCA! at another nobleman (presumably his half brother)?

Last edited:
I think you need to be at least a little bit on the spectrum to spend all your free time on an alternate history forum. On another note, are we going to get a future Portuguese (or otherwise Lusophone) TV show called O Bom Monarca about Henrique (or another future autistic Portuguese king) where the most famous scene is him repeatedly shouting EU SOU UM MONARCA! at another nobleman (presumably his half brother)?
I think that if Henrique does become the King, perhaps with someone's help to invalidate João de Elvas' schemes, and rules for half a dozen decades, then it's likely to have TV Shows about him akin to the Tudors that would lead to multiple TLs about him in Alternate History Forums, in which a variety of memes emerge, maybe there will be a scene where he indeed shouts "Eu sou o Rei!" It's a shame I lost interest in Good Doctor after season 3, it was a good show.

I think that if Henrique does become the King, perhaps with someone's help to invalidate João de Elvas' schemes, and rules for half a dozen decades, then it's likely to have TV Shows about him akin to the Tudors that would lead to multiple TLs about him in Alternate History Forums, in which a variety of memes emerge, maybe there will be a scene where he indeed shouts "Eu sou o Rei!" It's a shame I lost interest in Good Doctor after season 3, it was a good show.
You know, if Henrique manages to keep the Portuguese from wearing stupid wigs and says "Sou um homem Português, não uma menina francesa", I will gladly watch that show.

Sorry, but I have to barge into this thread with another stupid question. Now, I've alway been interested in what in Portuguese is called uniformologia - which is to say, I like to look and marvel at military uniforms. That being said, the subject of uniforms is also frustrating, as many European nations gave uniforms that only differed from each other in color and little else. Now I've already ranted and raved about Gallic influences on Portuguese fashion (I'm sure I'll do the same with regards to English influence), but this is because I really wished that Portuguese soldiers would have a more distinct and unique appearance. Alas, history is harsh. That being said, amidst my mental gymnastics regarding this subject, I came across this video:

It got me thinking of these images:

anadel-mor.jpg
typical degredados.jpg
14179346_450_450_676_0_fit_0_b0bbe48413ff4c825eef5e7fbd36bcfe.jpg
barretas-3.png

Anyhow, is there anyway that the 18th century Portuguese army from this timeline could adopt something similar to the helmets shown in the images above, but also resembling the later pith helmets of the British Raj (perhaps made of cork and pressed felt with some metal reinforcements), instead of the cocked hats that were actually worn in our timeline? Distinctive headgear would help the Portugese look distinct from the soldiers of other countries.
Of course, I understand the difficulties - presumably, the pith helmet comes from the Spanish Philipines and an adoption of such headgear by Portuguese soldiers would require a lot of mental gymnastics; but it would be nice if we could rip the Spanish off and look distinctive as a result.

Lusitania

Donor

The BBC post on Facebook talks about the large non-European population in Lisbon during the 1500s. Including black knights.

The BBC post on Facebook talks about the large non-European population in Lisbon during the 1500s. Including black knights.
I assume you're referring to this painting and to João de Sá Panasco. Unfortunately some people, instead of realizing that this made Lisbon different and distinct from other European cities, assume that this means that other cities were as exciting and interesting. They were not. Lisbon was the cool kid - no one else was.

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
I assume you're referring to this painting and to João de Sá Panasco. Unfortunately some people, instead of realizing that this made Lisbon different and distinct from other European cities, assume that this means that other cities were as exciting and interesting. They were not. Lisbon was the cool kid - no one else was.
Yes, that picture; BBC had a good post on Facebook about the picture. I tried to post the BBC report here because I think that is the kind of Lisbon and Portugal that would result from a TL like this. One not contaminated by Spanish union.

Sorry, but I have to barge into this thread with another stupid question. Now, I've alway been interested in what in Portuguese is called uniformologia - which is to say, I like to look and marvel at military uniforms. That being said, the subject of uniforms is also frustrating, as many European nations gave uniforms that only differed from each other in color and little else. Now I've already ranted and raved about Gallic influences on Portuguese fashion (I'm sure I'll do the same with regards to English influence), but this is because I really wished that Portuguese soldiers would have a more distinct and unique appearance. Alas, history is harsh. That being said, amidst my mental gymnastics regarding this subject, I came across this video:

It got me thinking of these images:

View attachment 902705View attachment 902706 View attachment 902707 View attachment 902708

Anyhow, is there anyway that the 18th century Portuguese army from this timeline could adopt something similar to the helmets shown in the images above, but also resembling the later pith helmets of the British Raj (perhaps made of cork and pressed felt with some metal reinforcements), instead of the cocked hats that were actually worn in our timeline? Distinctive headgear would help the Portugese look distinct from the soldiers of other countries.
Of course, I understand the difficulties - presumably, the pith helmet comes from the Spanish Philipines and an adoption of such headgear by Portuguese soldiers would require a lot of mental gymnastics; but it would be nice if we could rip the Spanish off and look distinctive as a result.
18th Century is likely a few decades away from being posted here...:coldsweat: Regarding the military uniforms, one of the things I like the most in the Napoleonic Wars is to see the colours of the uniforms of each country though I admit it's pretty annoying when Portugal, France and Prussia have the same colours and thus make me wonder how they told each other apart when in battle...I could indeed make Portugal have slightly different uniforms then the norm but we will see.

Yes, that picture; BBC had a good post on Facebook about the picture. I tried to post the BBC report here because I think that is the kind of Lisbon and Portugal that would result from a TL like this. One not contaminated by Spanish union.
Lisboa will definitely be a cosmopolitan city. I think if you were to go to this world's 1630 Lisboa you would find Europeans of different confessions, Jews, Muslims, Black People the occasional Indians, Chinese and Japanese and others. Who knows if at some point another Asian Prince will come there...