Map Thread XXII

Except nowadays, China is the world's largest creditor and Africa is an increasing recipient of Chinese loans with Zambia being the first to default on debt mostly owed to China. China, UAE, and India are also the top three export destinations for Africa:
QAnH7eT.png
A lot of the loans being for roads, ports, mines, etc. that are to be manufactured using Chinese labor and equipment and then to export raw materials to China. It might vary, though.

I'm sympathetic to the view that western aid and economic entanglements, while perhaps abating suffering in the short term, may be holding these countries back from developing and ultimately doing more harm than good.

However - in the short term there would be a tremendous amount of upheaval, and it's unlikely that the exact boundaries of the post-colonial states would survive. The only change to colonial borders I can make out in sub-Saharan Africa is in Nigeria with its absorption of Cameroon, though Cameroon has just been absorbed wholesale within its boundaries.

EDIT: Also Mali absorbed Mauretania, but again it's just a 1:1 incorporation.
For sure, I was talking about the sentiment. Regarding the map itself or the accuracy of how it depicts potential events, the less said the better.

1707262601742.png

the British Isles in Looked Better in Gold, aka what if everything went wrong (or right, depending on your viewpoint) due to there being no ww1

Are Belfast and Gibraltar governments the only UKs or are there more? And what is the difference between them (Going by the flag UK Gibraltar seems to be run by the Royal Navy)?
- Belfast and Gibraltar are the only 2 UKs, with belfast being pro-russia, and Gibraltar being pro-argentina (long story)
- belfast is more orangeist and conservative, and Gibraltar is more liberal (and belfast committed treason while the government was trying to calm down ireland), with a strong farmer-labour offshoot mainly in Newfoundland and the Falklands
- Gibraltar is essentially a navy with a state, with them having the ~10th largest navy in the world

Prelude to World War Two Propaganda Map
Altera_WW2_Prelude_AH.jpg

For a higher resolution version, go to my Deviantart.

This is a the next feature map from the world of Atlas Altera where Zveiner and I try to tease out more of the lore for Altera's WW2 era. We're trying to make a series of WW2 maps to also help guide some of our fellow travellers who are trying to produce a HOI4 Altera mod..

If you're new to my project, you can check out AtlasAltera.com, and there's a Youtube/Podcast if you want to get lost... And you can always follow me for free or support me on my Patreon.

- Belfast and Gibraltar are the only 2 UKs, with belfast being pro-russia, and Gibraltar being pro-argentina (long story)
- belfast is more orangeist and conservative, and Gibraltar is more liberal (and belfast committed treason while the government was trying to calm down ireland), with a strong farmer-labour offshoot mainly in Newfoundland and the Falklands
- Gibraltar is essentially a navy with a state, with them having the ~10th largest navy in the world
Do either of them actually still have a monarchy? Is it the same monarch?

Do either of them actually still have a monarchy? Is it the same monarch?
both of them do still have a monarchy, although Belfast's is effectively a hostage (with him being the first one not to be a member of the Orange Order since the 1920s), and Gibraltar's more of a humanitarian than a leader
Someone cooked here. Is the POD earlier or Argentina manage to exploit its development to become a world power with a 1914 POD?
the pod's 1868, with Andrew Johnson's impeachment succeeding, leading to the democrats collapsing (although they last ran a candidate in '84, they only won arkansas) and the various republican factions becoming the political parties

image.png

Old map I found in my documents folder, premise was a US that never formed and a world stuck in a very long 19th century, the former Dukedom and current United Provinces of the Carolinas

image.png

Old map I found in my documents folder, premise was a US that never formed and a world stuck in a very long 19th century, the former Dukedom and current United Provinces of the Carolinas
For the Duke Jackson I Wyle is the letter in the middle an initial (though I suppose then it would have a dot after it, unless it is like with Harry S Truman) or is it saying he is the first Jackson Wyle? Then again, since this is an old map you probably would not remember it. Still, i find it interesting how they would either use the full name or a different numbering system for their monarch.

For the Duke Jackson I Wyle is the letter in the middle an initial (though I suppose then it would have a dot after it, unless it is like with Harry S Truman) or is it saying he is the first Jackson Wyle? Then again, since this is an old map you probably would not remember it. Still, i find it interesting how they would either use the full name or a different numbering system for their monarch.

It is quite normal?

Henry VIII Tudor or wording like that is a style I have seen before elsewhere.

50 Years after the 2nd Punic War
3DfDAoT.png

50 Years after the 2nd Punic War, or the 2nd Latin War as the Carthaginians call it, the Western Mediterranean is a Carthaginian Lake. The titular Republic of Rome burns in fury as its once capital is rebuilt in a new Carthaginian image and is hemmed in from the north by the Cisalpine Gauls and the south by the Carthaginian South Italian Satellite States. The days of Roman Glory are clearly over. The Iberian peninsula is almost entirely Carthaginian and even where their soldiers do not garrison Iberia, the tribes submit to the authority of Carthage. But all is not well. The very means with which Hannibal I ascended to the renewed throne of Carthage is controversial and whilst his son and successor Hannibal II has been a competent ruler, two new challengers rise from the east. As the Ptolemids crumble and a new native dynasty takes over in Egypt, this new dynasty watches Carthaginian influence in Cyrenaica with distrustful eyes and to the north the resurgent Kingdom of Macedonia has already been granted a foothold in Italy. To the east, in the land of the Shahanshah's rumors about a great new Empire ruled under the glory of a new Zoroastrian Shah who has thrown the Seleucid Rule away arise. The Persians are also clear in their ambitions to return all Achaemenid territory under their heel once more. A great confluence of Empires is beginning once again and as such a storm is brewing. The question remains, can Carthage weather the storm?

Thoughts?

I like it, the map is excellent and if the Carthaginians had better follow through and more consistently competent field commanders they had a chance and Romans losing the Punic Wars aren't explored enough these days. Reminds me of a one-off idea I had about it but I was mainly focused on resulting changes to religion and candy (plus the rise of reverse-hoteps) by the alternate present 😅

It is quite normal?

Henry VIII Tudor or wording like that is a style I have seen before elsewhere.
I am wondering where, as it does not seem like something that would go on either contemporary articles, serious historical books, or even children’s books, especially not for Henry VIII. Though perhaps if it was a chart or something showing various kings from multiple kingdoms, and translating ever Karl and Caroline and Charles etc to the same word (and Henrys and Heinrichs) then maybe it would work. And of course you have other unusual thighs, like sticking Cardinal between two names, so there is also always the possibility that the honors of naming order used to be different.