Map Thread XXII

Iran not controlled by Europeans until ww1

apologize to him
Alexander_the_Great_mosaic_(cropped).jpg

The only lands free of European touch are:
  1. Less desirable lands in the Americas (Alaska, inner US, Amazon, Patagonia)
  2. Liberia (was an American colony)
  3. Rub-al-Khali (empty desert)
  4. Parts of China that I guess Europe just didn't want
  5. Parts of Japan and Korea that were occupied by non-Europeans after WWII
What do you mean Liberia was an American colony? While African-Americans colonized it, and American companies controlled a strong degree of the country. It was self-governing and had its own foreign policy.

What do you mean Liberia was an American colony? While African-Americans colonized it, and American companies controlled a strong degree of the country. It was self-governing and had its own foreign policy.
That's an American colony in my book. Actually, I'd call it paleoneocolonialism.

Can we post fantasy maps?

054f3bz.png

I recently did some worldbuilding for fun and decided to use Japan as a base for the structure of the map. The lettering, colours, etc are all based on the old map of Middle Earth. The basic concept is a pocket dimension created by gods to be a prison, but as some of the gods went astray, the prison filled with more and more people. People spread out and eventually formed gangs, tribes, and eventually kingdoms. All water in the world comes down from the purple, cloudless sky in the central Source Ocean. The world, a perfect square plane, loses water as it pours out over the edge into a black void. There are magical tides and a sun and moon orbit the world in a circular motion in a circular path. As the water pouring in from the sky is coming from a void, it is the coldest and thus the "Sors" (Northern) coast is cold, while the Antisors (southern) coast is generally warm. The outer sea names reference the relative temperature of the water.

As the world is flat with a clear centre, traditional compass directions are dependent where one is. "North" is "Sourceway" or "Sors" - "South" is "Antisourceway" or "Antisors" - East and West remain the same (based on coming/going of the sun) but are dependent on where one is.

Names are very much phoned in, with the west being based on slavic names and eastern places based on germanic words.

Last edited:
Yeah, especially if we’re counting the Ottomans as a European power.

Because throughout most of its history it controlled a sizable chunk of Southeast Europe and at various times considered itself a successor to Rome, plus ya know being based in Anatolia, one of the ancient homelands of the Greeks.

I'm sure there's other things here, but notably the UK claimed and in practice governed much of what is now the US states of Washington and Oregon.
The UK claimed the Oregon Territory, but apart from a few outposts (which are marked in the map btw) didn’t control much of the land, it was later the US who “properly” colonised these lands.

Can we post fantasy maps?

054f3bz.png

I recently did some worldbuilding for fun and decided to use Japan as a base for the structure of the map. The lettering, colours, etc are all based on the old map of Middle Earth. The basic concept is a pocket dimension created by gods to be a prison, but as some of the gods went astray, the prison filled with more and more people. People spread out and eventually formed gangs, tribes, and eventually kingdoms. All water in the world comes down from the purple, cloudless sky in the central Source Ocean. The world, a perfect square plane, loses water as it pours out over the edge into a black void. There are magical tides and a sun and moon orbit the world in a circular motion in a circular path. As the water pouring in from the sky is coming from a void, it is the coldest and thus the "Sors" (Northern) coast is cold, while the Antisors (southern) coast is generally warm. The outer sea names reference the relative temperature of the water.

As the world is flat with a clear centre, traditional compass directions are dependent where one is. "North" is "Sourceway" or "Sors" - "South" is "Antisourceway" or "Antisors" - East and West remain the same (based on coming/going of the sun) but are dependent on where one is.

Names are very much phoned in, with the west being based on slavic names and eastern places based on germanic words.
Very pretty. The idea of the water pouring off the edges and getting restored by rain, and the directions being based off this.

I would consider them European for sure. The only reasons they're not considered so is that they're Muslim (even though there's not much difference between medieval Catholicism and Orthodoxy than Islam) and/or they're not Indo-European in which case most of the Americas should be considered as European or European ruled.

I would consider them European for sure. The only reasons they're not considered so is that they're Muslim (even though there's not much difference between medieval Catholicism and Orthodoxy than Islam) and/or they're not Indo-European in which case most of the Americas should be considered as European or European ruled.
I do think they are European to some extent, they did proclaim themselves a successor to Rome at one point.

The only exceptions I’d say to most of the Americas would be Haiti, Lesser Antilles, and Jamaica. Majority of the Americas if they’re not ruled directly by European descended population, follow its culture even if the population is a mixed majority (such as Paraguay, Bolivia, and Ecuador). Heck even those populations have at least some blood connection to Europe, even if they’re not purely European.

Last edited:
Would Latin American overseas colonies like a Mexican Philippines or Brazilian Congo be counted as part of Western influence?
They would see it as “Western” influence as said influence is not ethnic-based but a culture almost any could have. Korea and Japan are politically (sometimes culturally) considered part of the “West” even though a hundred years ago that would be laughable. Western means different things in different places, times, cultures, and people. Oversimplified there’s two wests: the Global cultural west like most of the Americas, and the Political/Military/Economic west like NATO. Nations can stop being western depending on the changes of the culture, events, or beliefs.

In the context of the Philippines: even though Mexico would likely treat the country (at the point not fully a country) nicer than the U.S. and Spain did. The locals will still see their Mexicans overlords as “Western” even with the greater diversity (culturally, ethnically, religiously) than their ex-Spanish ones, as they would stop them from being independent. Almost no one in Asia would see much political difference in the transition, Mexico would be seen as part of the Western imperialist camp.

In the Congo: even if the locals did recognize the greater political, social, religious diversity and differences of the Brazilians from the Portuguese. They would still be seen as “White” (even if the ground troops are diverse), and not see them as anything more than another “Western” oppressor to fight. Most African nations would agree with this sentiment.

Joining the colonial wars would bring either nation closer to the other political/military west (think the U.S in the Philippines before WW1). While directly involving themselves in the European continent, will draw them fully economically/politically/military into the West (think the U.S Marshall Plan after WW2).

Even if they were still ambivalent about being fully Western during these wars (these conflicts would make it less ambiguous). They’d have to public assist other members of “Western civilisation” to get support from the Europeans to retain their colonies. After these wars (whether win or lose) even if they tried to distance them from the “Western” nations, in the eyes of Africa/Asia/Europe they would still be in the Western camp. Unless they change in someway.

Last edited:
T
View attachment 885396
View attachment 885397
A few years back Palladium Books collaborated with Savage Worlds to create Savage Rifts. The book included these maps of Rifts North America and Atlantis. I found them online and thought I’d share as they are rather cool.

Rifts is owned and published by Palladium Books. Savage Worlds is owned and published by Pi

View attachment 885396
View attachment 885397
A few years back Palladium Books collaborated with Savage Worlds to create Savage Rifts. The book included these maps of Rifts North America and Atlantis. I found them online and thought I’d share as they are rather cool.

Rifts is owned and published by Palladium Books. Savage Worlds is owned and published by Pinnacle.
The Game is awfull, both editions. The lore is cool. A bit too much things inside if you ask me...