Map Thread XXII

Cross-Posting from MOTF: Demokratia

The Spread of Demoxratl in the Lands of the Maya

Following the coup of the aristocracy in Yaxchilan, a new form of government was established that would be revolutionary to the region and the world. What we now know as "Demokratia" was originally known as Demoxratl or "Rule of the Many". This radical form of government would spread via radical people's uprisings known as the Pulmerian Flower Revolutions. One of the most notable revolutionaries was Ixchel the Jaguar Throne Defiler, of whom there would be erected a multitude of statues and steles in his honour.
Unfortunately Demoxratl would not last in the Yucatan penninsula and the New World, by the time of the arrival of the Spanish and Portuguese all but a single state would keep the traditional form of government: Palenke. Though from this ember would grow a blaze that would ignite the world...

dgsx91b-cd5f8338-6f89-4cfd-8a82-d81b92a44f05.png

IMG_7663.jpeg

IMG_7664.jpeg

A few years back Palladium Books collaborated with Savage Worlds to create Savage Rifts. The book included these maps of Rifts North America and Atlantis. I found them online and thought I’d share as they are rather cool.

Rifts is owned and published by Palladium Books. Savage Worlds is owned and published by Pinnacle.

Europe all over the world!
Diachronic map of every territory ever controlled in any way by European powers (yes, the Ottomans are included):
c6kg57a.png

Last edited:
Are we really counting the raj as the first incarnation of European colonialism in India?
Also an accompanying chronological map excluding spheres of influence would fit

Last edited:
Europeans all over the world!
Diachronic map of every territory ever controlled in any way by European powers (yes, the Ottomans are included):
The only lands free of European touch are:
  1. Less desirable lands in the Americas (Alaska, inner US, Amazon, Patagonia)
  2. Liberia (was an American colony)
  3. Rub-al-Khali (empty desert)
  4. Parts of China that I guess Europe just didn't want
  5. Parts of Japan and Korea that were occupied by non-Europeans after WWII

Last edited:
It always feels weird to me to separate the United States (and other post-colonial states made up of mostly white people) from the other European powers. Yes, they weren't technically in Europe, but for all intents and purposes they might as well have been.

Europeans all over the world!
vtZBTgl.png
I'm sure there's other things here, but notably the UK claimed and in practice governed much of what is now the US states of Washington and Oregon.

Parts of China that I guess Europe just didn't want
It wasn't about "wanting" or "not wanting", China was (and is) a massive country, both in area and population, controlling it would have been extremely costly while it would have yielded little benefit (in fact it wasn't uncommon for African colonies to be unprofitable, so you can imagine what a money sink China would have been), which is why the Europeans only limited themselves to treaty ports, city concessions, and spheres of influence they could gain market exclusivity and such other benefits. The regions that you can see as "spared" in Dani's map would have had to send their products through the other regions in order to get to the outside of world, I imagine, so technically the Europeans already held influence over there through trade.

It wasn't about "wanting" or "not wanting", China was (and is) a massive country, both in area and population, controlling it would have been extremely costly while it would have yielded little benefit (in fact it wasn't uncommon for African colonies to be unprofitable, so you can imagine what a money sink China would have been), which is why the Europeans only limited themselves to treaty ports, city concessions, and spheres of influence they could gain market exclusivity and such other benefits. The regions that you can see as "spared" in Dani's map would have had to send their products through the other regions in order to get to the outside of world, I imagine, so technically the Europeans already held influence over there through trade.
Then why did they not influence Fujian? It's coastal and everything.

I wonder if Russia annexing Northern persia is plausible
Would a direct annexation be desirable to Russia though?, like how I am in constant confusion over whenever in a China screw TL, Russia directly annexes Xinjiang, or simply keeps it as a puppet/protectorate like Bukhara and Khiva.