Anglo-American Split post Cold War?

What are some plausible way for United Kingdom to end the Special Relationship with the USA after Cold War, the relationship between the two nations after the split can be either be friendly or hostile.

If the relationship is hostile UK must not be the reason because in many of the UK-US Split thread usually have UK be the bad guy, and it would make asking this question pointless because I already have the answer.(even if they are about during Cold War)

Any P.O.D has to be after the WW2

Bonus if UK somehow became a Neutral nations like Switzerland, Commonwealth can either be dissolved or reformed.

Thanks 👍

Hmmm... I think you are going to need a chain of events, as any single incident could and probably would be shrugged off. A single incident of the required magnitude would need to be seen as monstrous by one side and perfectly acceptable by the other and such a gulf in perception seems unlikely to me if WW2 & prior are as historical.

There hasn't really been anything dramatic enough in Anglo-American relations to have caused a split in the post-Cold War era, without some radically different UK or US. France has had some disputes with the US post-Cold War, notably its opposition to the US invasion of Iraq, but even that did not come anywhere close to causing a split. So if it was hard to get a break between Washington and Paris, it is going to be even harder for Washington and London.

only thing i can think of is the UK going 'nope' to getting involved in the 2003 Iraq invasion, and then relations going downhill from there

I think I could do one around President Trump's Scottish golf course, but I am pretty sure it would be current politics and need to go into Chat.

Well, there was something of a falling-out over nukes and spy-intel.

The nukes stuff was sad, as the UK had contributed a lot of the basic science which the Manhattan Project then weaponised. So, UK had to home-brew 'civilian' reactors as a me-too rather than direct copies...

I put 'civilian' in quotes as a large part of the work was brewing plutonium for UK's home-grown nukes...

The spy-intel concerns, IIRC based on surmise that London 'leaked' to Moscow faster than a coarse sieve were, eventually, proven horribly correct...

What are some plausible way for United Kingdom to end the Special Relationship with the USA after Cold War, the relationship between the two nations after the split can be either be friendly or hostile.

If the relationship is hostile UK must not be the reason because in many of the UK-US Split thread usually have UK be the bad guy, and it would make asking this question pointless because I already have the answer.(even if they are about during Cold War)

Any P.O.D has to be after the WW2

Bonus if UK somehow became a Neutral nations like Switzerland, Commonwealth can either be dissolved or reformed.

Thanks 👍

A right old failing out at the Nassau Conference regarding Skybolt and the US not allowing the UK leasing of their Polaris missiles thus forcing the UK to co-develop a SLBM with France?

or

The UK not going into Vietnam as requested by POTUS Johnson thus he has another one of his dick waving fits and threatening to devalue the £ if we didn't contribute thus forcing the UK to say "fuck it then" and leave NATO and thus become 'neutral' like the Swiss?

Would these work?