AHC on utility frequency

The first thread I started on this site was on the war of currents, where I explored the idea on what might/would have been if rectifiers had appeared during the war of currents. I wondered if perhaps it would have ended differently if rectifiers had become available at that time.

So this time, let's look at utility frequency. At the time a number of utility frequencies were in use. But as A.C won, mains frequencies began to be standardised. Most of the Americas and parts of Asia (including Korea and West Japan) standardised on the same number of cycles per second as the number of seconds in a minute. That's actually one cycle per tierce, better known as 60Hz.
Yet the rest of the world standardised on a lower frequency, 50Hz, but eight times this frequency, 400Hz is used on-board aeroplanes and some ships. But suppose that 60Hz had become the standard for large power grids covering wide areas instead of any country using 50Hz instead, the number of cycles per second of the mains, everywhere in the world being the same as the number of seconds in a minute and minutes in an hour.
But before going into that, does anyone else here from a 50Hz country know how complicated, costly and disruptive it would be to change our mains frequency to 60Hz? I know that many appliances in my country and most others would need to be modified or simply replaced. I also imagine that many appliances with A.C motors, unless simply replaced, would need to be heavily modified. Not quite sure what would be done about substations, and not sure whether the power stations generators would simply spin faster, be modified or simply replaced.

SwampTiger

Banned
Well, my poor understanding of electrical transmission keeps me from knowledgeably commenting. However, costs of converssion will be huge, to the point of bankrupting power companies and governments. The vast number of electrical systems rendered obsolete and needing replacement would entail a decade long period of conversion. The social effects would be disruptive as the 'haves' quickly accomodate the switch, while the 'have nots' are left in darkness, often literally.

Only the third post
So if the number of cycles per second in North America and parts of Asia and South America is the same as the number of seconds in a minute and minutes in an hour, why has the rest of the world standardised on a frequency 10Hz less?

So if the number of cycles per second in North America and parts of Asia and South America is the same as the number of seconds in a minute and minutes in an hour, why has the rest of the world standardised on a frequency 10Hz less?
My reading of the Wikipedia page is that AEG (in Germany) and Westinghouse (in the United States) simply prioritized different things when they set their standards: AEG took a low frequency suitable for electric machinery and nudged it up until the flickers when powering lighting were tolerable, while Westinghouse opted for a steadier light by choosing a higher frequency (with, I assume, small sacrifices in the ease of constructing compatible engines). Then these companies' standards were the most copied within their respective hemispheres.