WI: Elisabeth II and his family die in 1947

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of the recent death of prince Phillip, a lot of stories about their marriage has been in the media.

One of this stories is that Phillip propose Elisabeth in 1946, but Georg V said to Elisabeth wait until after the travel of the family to South Africa to give time to her thinking about this decision because of his little age (she was only 21 at the time).

As anyone know, she married him after this travel, but what if the airplane that transport the future queen, her sister and parents fall during the fly to London, killing all the four? How would this accident change the history of England and the world?

So, King George VI and his two daughters both die?

The crown goes to Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester. He'd be popular enough given the tragedy, his ties to the Commonwealth, and his military past in the postwar era. But as in OTL he's probably in very poor health by the late 1960s and dead in the 70s. You miss out on the unusually long reign of Elizabeth.

So, King George VI and his two daughters both die?

The crown goes to Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester. He'd be popular enough given the tragedy, his ties to the Commonwealth, and his military past in the postwar era. But as in OTL he's probably in very poor health by the late 1960s and dead in the 70s. You miss out on the unusually long reign of Elizabeth.
And if his eldest son dies before him like OTL, then his second son, Prince Richard, would be King currently. Wonder if he could restore the shine to name King Richard as King Richard IV

And if his eldest son dies before him like OTL, then his second son, Prince Richard, would be King currently. Wonder if he could restore the shine to name King Richard as King Richard IV
If he ascended the throne he would probably be King George VII . George is one of his names and Richard does have a bad press.
On a side note I think that Charles will become George VII rather than Charles III to mark a break between being Prince of Wales and being King.

If he ascended the throne he would probably be King George VII . George is one of his names and Richard does have a bad press.
On a side note I think that Charles will become George VII rather than Charles III to mark a break between being Prince of Wales and being King.
I wonder if Prince Phillips death will lead to the Queen stepping aside and giving us at the answer to Charles regal name here sooner than anticipated?

If she makes it for another 3 and a half years she will be the longest reigning monarch in history. At least among sovereign states where the rates of reign can be easily verified.

I wonder if Prince Phillips death will lead to the Queen stepping aside and giving us at the answer to Charles regal name here sooner than anticipated?

Why? The reason why she ploughs on has nothing to do with Prince Philip, so why would his death change that?
She will reign until she dies because that is the basis of her Coronation oath.

Why? The reason why she ploughs on has nothing to do with Prince Philip, so why would his death change that?
She will reign until she dies because that is the basis of her Coronation oath.
Because she's a human and may not feel the need to keep going with her duties without her companion of the last 70+ years. Does that really need to be spelled out? It's not like her stepping aside is without precedent, it has been done by other royal families in Europe within the last decade.

Because she's a human and may not feel the need to keep going with her duties without her companion of the last 70+ years. Does that really need to be spelled out? It's not like her stepping aside is without precedent, it has been done by other royal families in Europe within the last decade.

The Queen places her Duty above everything, it's the basis of her life and what she was taught basically from birth. She'll keep on until she's carried out in a box (or until her mental faculties completely disintegrate) because that's how she was raised.

The Queen places her Duty above everything, it's the basis of her life and what she was taught basically from birth. She'll keep on until she's carried out in a box (or until her mental faculties completely disintegrate) because that's how she was raised.
I think this not only overlooks human nature but the fact she has already in the last few years shifted some duties over to Charles, so they idea that she simply would not do it under any circumstance other than mental deficiency creeping in is a weak argument.

I think this not only overlooks human nature but the fact she has already in the last few years shifted some duties over to Charles, so they idea that she simply would not do it under any circumstance other than mental deficiency creeping in is a weak argument.

She's handed some duties over as she's physically incapable of the work rate she's kept up for the last 70 odd years. It is still her Duty to carry out her role though and I honestly don't see any way of stopping her from thinking that other than total physical or mental disability.

Pigs will fly first but as I say I am not sure why the death of Prince Philip is the catalyst you are seeking for this.

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh largely lived separately since 2017 (aside from holidays) when the Duke retired to Sandringham and set up his own household. They were brought back together by Covid. Their bond was were undoubtedly close and unbreakable but I consider if the Queen was driven by human nature she would have retired in 2017 to allow herself to enjoy some period of retirement with her husband, not retire now that he is dead.

I come back to this point time and again on these board but QEII is a deeply religious woman who is bound by her Coronation Oath to God (unlike any other European monarch you refer to). Everyone genuinely close to her who has ever spoken to the press (the Mountbatten sisters, the Hon. Margaret Rhodes) has been absolutely clear about this. I have no reason to doubt them compared to the never ending so called royal journalists with their supposed "sources" who have been saying an abdication is imminent since the Queen Mother died 20 years ago.

You aren't looking for a change in human nature but a fundamental shift in religious beliefs and personality in a woman who's destiny and life was entirely shaped by abdication.

Covid has shown the Monarchy can adapt effectively to being conducted remotely, in reality the Queen never has to leave her study ever again and she will be an effective Head of State. As it is, she is a woman turning 95 years old this month and who still rides everyday, so I don't think she is ready for the knackers yard just yet and is probably itching to get out in public again. If her mental facilities decline, there will be a regency.

His son William dying is unlikely; in OTL he died in a plane crash, so that is definitely butterflied away. Especially since the royals in this timeline have had such bad luck with planes...

So William probably becomes regent in his late 20s and King around age 30. So in theory he'd have a nice long reign. But William was diagnosed with porphyria, the same disease that drove George III mad. So that could cause future complications in future decades.

His son William dying is unlikely; in OTL he died in a plane crash, so that is definitely butterflied away. Especially since the royals in this timeline have had such bad luck with planes...

So William probably becomes regent in his late 20s and King around age 30. So in theory he'd have a nice long reign. But William was diagnosed with porphyria, the same disease that drove George III mad. So that could cause future complications in future decades.

It would have been better for William to die and Richard to succeed. The latter is much more stable and William had too much of the Edward VIII about him, well in terms of his personal life anyway.

I am not sure you are right about royal use of planes . The current King of Sweden's father died in a plane crash in 1940s. Prince Philip's sister and her entire family were wiped out in a plane crash in 1937 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Cecilie_of_Greece_and_Denmark) but it never impacted on the British or Swedish royal houses using planes afterwards. The policy would simply be that William and Richard would never travel in the same plane.

The original poster's scenario was mistaken in any event as the Royal Family travelled to and from South Africa by ship.

It would have been better for William to die and Richard to succeed. The latter is much more stable and William had too much of the Edward VIII about him, well in terms of his personal life anyway.

I am not sure you are right about royal use of planes . The current King of Sweden's father died in a plane crash in 1940s. Prince Philip's sister and her entire family were wiped out in a plane crash in 1937 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Cecilie_of_Greece_and_Denmark) but it never impacted on the British or Swedish royal houses using planes afterwards. The policy would simply be that William and Richard would never travel in the same plane.

The original poster's scenario was mistaken in any event as the Royal Family travelled to and from South Africa by ship.
The Prince of Wales would not be allowed race light planes if the previous King and heirs had died in a plane crash.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Thought the Royal Party travelled to & from South Africa on HMS Vanguard with internal transport by South African Railways. No planes?

Status
Not open for further replies.