Alternate names for real world cities?

The problem is that England and the Dutch Republic were enemies at the time, so the English were happy to change the name.

Perhaps if England/UK could acquire the colony peacefully, it would be possible.
What if England acquired it during/after William&Mary's reign? Would be less likely to be named after a duke of York when there isn't one?

What if England acquired it during/after William&Mary's reign? Would be less likely to be named after a duke of York when there isn't one?
After all, Britain generally didn't rename towns if there was really no reason to (Quebec, St. Augustine, Cape Town etc pretty much just had their names or pronunciations Anglicized)

There is an interesting example from Italy. There is a small town in Basilicata (southern Italy) who changed name from Salvia to Savoia di Lucania in 1878. The reason was that a guy from that town, Giovanni Passannante, tried to kill King Umberto I of Savoi without success, so the populace wanted to make a "conciliatory" move towards the dynasty and changed the name. The name could have been restored at any time after the fall of the Monarchy. Now that I think about that, in southern Italy the city of Benevento (Campania) had its name changed from the original Maleventum by the Romans after they won a battle against Pyrrhus in the surroundings of the city. Maybe they lose there, but eventually still win, and the city gets its unlucky original name.

Last edited:
According to local legend, the founders of St Petersburg, Florida flipped a coin to pick the name of the city. Peter Demens (nee Pyotr A Dementyev) won and named it after the his home town in Russia. Had the other contestant, John Williams, won, the city would have been named for his hometown: Detroit.

Same legend exists for Portland, OR.

After all, Britain generally didn't rename towns if there was really no reason to (Quebec, St. Augustine, Cape Town etc pretty much just had their names or pronunciations Anglicized)

Generally true, but I do ponder since it was within formally-claimed English territory and Yankees were moving into New Netherland since it was almost created, so there was always an English cultural element to it. Quebec and St. Augustine at least have the luxury of being outside of and on the edge of originally-English settlement in the New World. The Plymouth colonists originally sought to settle New York City's site before being blown off-wind to their real-world site. It'd be a deep and fun irony if they did settle, or the name New Plymouth applied anyway to *New York as THE port metropolis of the colonies.

I've seen in historical texts Quebec anglicized as Cabeck, and of course Montreal as Mount Royal. If these cities were conquered earlier when less Canadians were around and/or thus had more time for more Anglo-Americans to move in and truly anglicize the colony, perhaps it could eventually change to those.

Last edited:
On the other hand the London merchant class had a strong, century-long grudge against Amsterdam at the time.
A successful Plymouth Colony at the mouth of the Hudson would make for fascinating timeline though...

In Michigan, if the Grand River retained a derivation of its indigenous name (Owashtinong) as Kalamazoo did... Grand Haven (at it's entry into Lake Michigan) and Grand Rapids would likely have different names. For Grand Haven, potentially Ferrysburg after the first settler in the region. Grand Rapids could also have easily been called Kent Rapids, like the county, for the New York jurist.

i'm half-asleep so i'm not going to cite stuff right now, but i at least looked through the thread first to see if this had already been mentioned:

Albany as Beverwick instead, from an anglicization of its original Dutch name

The French did built a large number of forts and trading posts throughout the present-day Canada and the U.S. Many of the towns would probably simply drop the "Fort" word. For instance, Duquesne instead of Fort Duquesne. Below are a few examples.

Detroit = Fort Ponchartrain/Détroit
Erie, PA = Fort Presque Isle
Fort Wayne = Fort Miami
Jacksonville = Fort Caroline
Memphis = Fort L'Assomption
Mobile = Fort Conde de la Mobile
Peoria = Fort Pimiteoui
Pittsburgh = Fort Dusquene
Ticonderoga = Fort Carillon
Toronto = Fort Douville/Fort Rouillé
Utica, NY = Fort Saint-Louis-le-Rocher
Winnipeg = Fort Rouge
Here are place names from a 1524 map by Marcel Trudel, they are based on the discoveries by Verrazano.

approx Atlantic City = Cap Bonnivet
Boston = Côte-de-Saint-George
Cape May, NJ = Cap d'Alençon
Connecticut (Southern) = Norembegué
Delaware River = Fleuve Vendôme
Fox Islands, ME = Les Trois Filles de Navarre
Georgetown, SC (approx) = Honfleur
Hudson Bay = Golfe-de-Sainte-Marguerite
Hudson River = Fleuve Angoulême
Martha's Vineyard = Île-Louise
Maryland & Virginia/Cheasapeake Bay = Arcadie
Mount Pleasant, SC (approx) = Dieppe