AHC: Greek Carthage

An idea popped into my head today, and I thought I'd submit it here to see what thoughts people have.

Carthage was founded about 814 BC, and Greek colonization efforts would begin a few decades later when the Euboeans founded the first first colonies in Southern Italy and into Macedonia.

So: lets say that Tyre's colonization efforts get postponed by a few decades, or else the Greeks get a slightly earlier start. Either way, it's Greek settlers who found *Carthage. Carthage, obviously, has an great natural port and was well situated to become the economic power of the Western Med, and it seems likely that our Greek *Carthage is in a position to do likewise.

What would this look like?

Did you get this from my thread over a year back? Carthage was not the only Phoenician outpost in North Africa, there were plenty of others. You need to delay their colonization by a few hundred years.

Last edited:
Did you get this from my thread over a year back? Carthage was not the only Phoenician outpost in North Africa, there were plenty of others. You need to delay their colonization by a few hundred years.
I didn't, no, but I'll take a look. It was a random thought I had recently and figured there were people on this board who know far more of the history of Punic Africa and Greek colonization than I do :)