Back in the early days of railroading across the British Empire, most railroads ran on separate gauges. However, efforts were eventually made to consolidate them all on one gauge. Typically the choice was between Cape (3ft 6in) and Standard (4ft 8.5in). But in all those cases where this was the case; South Africa, the Dutch East Indies, and New Zealand; the latter won out.

But what if Cape Gauge was chosen? How would it affect rail transport in these nations.

I actually do tend to think it would have been a better choice for Indonesia New Zealand. Distances are usually pretty short and the mountainous terrain makes it easier to build narrow gauge. There might be more railroads serving more areas. South Africa was probably right to go with Standard though. Besides being easier to build standard gauge there, you need something larger faster for fairly long intercity travel. Standard gauge is worth the cost there.

I actually do tend to think it would have been a better choice for Indonesia New Zealand. Distances are usually pretty short and the mountainous terrain makes it easier to build narrow gauge. There might be more railroads serving more areas. South Africa was probably right to go with Standard though. Besides being easier to build standard gauge there, you need something larger faster for fairly long intercity travel. Standard gauge is worth the cost there.
IIRC, New Zealand actually did built some 3ft 6in gauge lines to serve places where the terrain made 4ft 8.5 in gauge too expensive. There are plenty of photos of the 4-8-0s used on those lines
upload_2019-11-12_22-10-14.jpeg

This has been relatively adequate for Japan, save for the Shinkansen of course. It should have been more than adequate for New Zealand.
To be fair, there were still larger engines like the 4-8-2s and 4-8-4s.

But moving on to the subject of Africa, I actually found several photos of US-built 2-10-0s that ran all across British Africa after the war. The original versions of them look sort of like the Decapods built for Poland around the same time.

slplpkpTy246.jpg

South Africa later added different cabs, larger tenders, and other embellishments. I often see videos of them shunting across the system on youtube.

Last edited:
Here's another USATC engine that made its way to South Africa. Only then, the museum in Johannesburg modified it to look like an American engine; specifically an N&W engine.
2010080822533529539.jpg

I just realized we haven't talked about how Cape Gauge would have affected Japanese Railroads. Though I have a hunch they would be more like those of New Zealand.

iirc narrow gauge line can't carry as much load when compared to standard or broad gauge,
one rather unexpected butterfly is that tanks could be lighter up until ww2 as one of the design considerations was that they had to able to transport them by rail

In hindsight, I should have also bought up the subject of if railway in India chose the 5ft 6in gauge as the rule instead of the exception. Same goes to metre gauge lines in French Indochina, Malaya, Thailand, and East Africa.