Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Also I have to imagine that terrorism ITTL is significantly different than OTL simply because the best example of a successful terrorist campaign (The Irish War of Independence) simply didn't get the chance to happen, so any follow on campaigns are going to need to basically learn from scratch and make a lot of mistakes.
The OTL Irish War of Independence also was extremely fortunate in having not one but three men who (whatever one might think about the morality of some of their actions) were extremely talented at asymmetrical warfare -Michael Collins, Liam Lynch and Florence O'Donaghue plus two Grade A intelligence sources in Broy and Nelligan. It didn't just happen OTL -it was very competently, even brilliantly led and had first rate intelligence. TTL as Rinasoir has pointed out it isn't there as an example to learn from. Plus no Tito TTL, no Greek Resistance, no Italian partisans, no French resistance, no Stern and Irgun, no Haganah, no Viet Mihn.

The OTL Irish War of Independence also was extremely fortunate in having not one but three men who (whatever one might think about the morality of some of their actions) were extremely talented at asymmetrical warfare -Michael Collins, Liam Lynch and Florence O'Donaghue plus two Grade A intelligence sources in Broy and Nelligan. It didn't just happen OTL -it was very competently, even brilliantly led and had first rate intelligence. TTL as Rinasoir has pointed out it isn't there as an example to learn from. Plus no Tito TTL, no Greek Resistance, no Italian partisans, no French resistance, no Stern and Irgun, no Haganah, no Viet Mihn.

Not disagreeing, but was there no Tito TTL?

I just ask because I can't recall Yugoslavia showing up at all.

Not disagreeing, but was there no Tito TTL?

I just ask because I can't recall Yugoslavia showing up at all.
I will plead guilty to having made an assumption that without a German or Russian occupation of the Balkans, the Yugoslav partisans would never have got off the ground. Indeed, given that the war ended on more favourable terms for the Central Powers, Bulgaria might hold Macedonia and IMRO might not have ever got off the ground either.

I will plead guilty to having made an assumption that without a German or Russian occupation of the Balkans, the Yugoslav partisans would never have got off the ground. Indeed, given that the war ended on more favourable terms for the Central Powers, Bulgaria might hold Macedonia and IMRO might not have ever got off the ground either.

Oh it would make sense, just I'd have thought a Titoish action might have still happened, even if it was wildly less successful than OTL

Oh it would make sense, just I'd have thought a Titoish action might have still happened, even if it was wildly less successful than OTL
I don't think there would have been popular support for it without the German invasion. Yugoslavia was at least semi-democratic OTL so TTL's Serbia/Yugoslavia is even more likely to be the same with no Italian fascists or German Nazis. And, as a country, it didn't really have a lot of very rich bankers or industrialists or a landed aristocracy and did have a lot of small farmers (much like Ireland in that respect). And would have a functional local Army, Air Force and police force with no sympathy whatsoever with a Communist insurgency. Trade union organisation much more likely to be a thing than guerrilla warfare I imagine.

Tito told either Bill Deakin or Fitzroy Maclean (can't remember who offhand) that if establishing a Communist state in Yugoslavia had not been possible he would have gone to America and become a millionaire. So, maybe, TTL Joseph Bross is a big player in construction in Chicago or Cleveland.

WOW! I just caught up with this, and it's still amazing. So much for Kat even considering a retirement any time soon!!!!

I'm surprised that Kiki walked to the scene of the blast; a barge would have been perfect for removing casualties. Shooting her is going to make things a lot worse for the bad guys. All of the royals are doing good things for Germany, but shooting someone who is young, photogenic, and a girl--as well as being known for saving lives--will push all sorts of buttons.

There is bound to be conspiracy theories that whatever group did it, wasn't really the one that did...

(A note from a bit ago--if there's identical twins playing games, give one of them a black eye--my boxing coach mentioned that as a benefit when one of the gym twins got a nice shiner.)

...well someone just failed terrorist bombing 101.

Rule 1. "Do not be anywhere near the bomb when it goes off."
Rule 2. "Do not be armed when the bomb goes off."
Rule 3. "DO NOT BE ANYWHERE NEAR THE BOMB WHEN IT GOES OFF."

My thought is that that was quite purposeful. They might know enough about Kiki to know she'll come running. If they can gun her down, great. If not, I suspect a bomb will be placed on her barge.

My thought is that that was quite purposeful. They might know enough about Kiki to know she'll come running. If they can gun her down, great. If not, I suspect a bomb will be placed on her barge.

Eh.

If an operation like that was being done to target just one person, then they are even worse at it. If Kiki is the target, then just bumrushing the boat is more what I would expect from this group of amateurs than setting of a bomb to get her attention in the hopes that she would be a first responder.

Tito told either Bill Deakin or Fitzroy Maclean (can't remember who offhand) that if establishing a Communist state in Yugoslavia had not been possible he would have gone to America and become a millionaire. So, maybe, TTL Joseph Bross is a big player in construction in Chicago or Cleveland.

ITTL I'd suspect he'd have made his way to Germany or Poland, but given Pope John Paul II is a gangster ITTL then Josip Broz as a construction millionaire is very far from implausible.

As soon as the news of the terrorist attacks reach the world there will be of course words of "Hope and Prayers"from the world's leaders along with offers of any assistance asked for by the German government.
I doubt that any part of the United States government is in anyway involved but there may be some surprising connections between different student groups around the world, IOTL the Students for a Democratic Society was founded in 1962 and you don't need a Weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
One of the assets that the BND can call on in the United States is a high placed official in the FBI whose identity is only known by the head of the BND and his direct handler.

Thought Hoover was bought and paid for.
There was a young, bright American of German descent who wanted to join the German Army during the European War but Johannes Schultz recruited him to go in to the FBI instead.

Last edited: