DBWI: What was your favourite part of the 90s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big fan of the Pokemon series. I think that they made a perfect call when they cast Christopher Walken to sing the Pokemon theme song.

Even to this day people watching the English version report that it has a certain Pizazz over the Japanese version

What did you think of the show? What is your favourite part of the 90s? Samuel L Jackson as the Joker?

Big fan of the Pokemon series. I think that they made a perfect call when they cast Christopher Walken to sing the Pokemon theme song.

Even to this day people watching the English version report that it has a certain Pizazz over the Japanese version

What did you think of the show? What is your favourite part of the 90s? Samuel L Jackson as the Joker?

Maybe Season 4 of Twin Peaks. Lynch wisely convinced the network executives to delay the revelation of Laura's killer until the very end of the show, and the result was a masterpiece of television.

Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit in 1997 was absolutely unforgettable. Jackson and Weta Workshop really set a new standard in special effects and story telling with that movie.

It’s only unfortunate that his over-ambitious Lord of the Rings duology in the 2000s didn’t live up to the hype. I don’t know if it was because two films weren’t enough, or if LOTR is just way too difficult to adapt for the screen. I certainly found the decision to film in 48 FPS quite eccentric.

I can only hope that Blockbuster can do Tolkien justice when they release their LOTR series to stream in 2020. Maybe - just for a moment - it can bring me back to my childhood in the 90s... :relievedface:

I have to admit that I'm one of the few who quite liked LOTR. Sure, there was an over-reliance on CGI and the pacing could've been better. But seeing Sean Connery back in action as Gandalf is always a treat and the battle sequences were breathtaking.

Yeah, yeah, Connery was great in LotR. But the best nerd casting of the 90's has got to be Matt Damon as Captain Kirk in the new series of Star Trek movies. Although Gary Sinese as McCoy steals every scene he's in, as does Billy Connolly as Scotty.

Yeah, yeah, Connery was great in LotR. But the best nerd casting of the 90's has got to be Matt Damon as Captain Kirk in the new series of Star Trek movies. Although Gary Sinese as McCoy steals every scene he's in, as does Billy Connolly as Scotty.

How about Leo DiCaprio as Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars Prequels? Thank God Lucas cast an actor that good in the leading role, otherwise those movies might've sucked bad. It's hard to believe that Lucas originally envisioned a young Darth Vader as nothing more than an angsty teenager...

The Pirates dynasty of the 1990s. The Bucs got wise and traded Bonilla in 1991 and Bonds and Drabek in 1992 rather than letting them walk in free agency. Bonds choked for the Braves in the NLCS just like he did for us in 1990 and 1991. Then we swept the Blue Jays in the Series.

Last edited:
No love for the Cowboys dynasty? There's a reason they called it "America's Dynasty"--with Troy Aikman, Barry Sanders, and Michael Irvin, they went on to win five straight Super Bowls from Super Bowl XXVII to XXXI, finally losing to Brett Favre and the Indianapolis Colts...

And another one is the classic San Francisco 49ers-Buffalo Bills matchup in Super Bowl XXV; with Joe Montana's career ending earlier, everyone expected the Bills to blow out the 49ers, but they rallied around new QB Steve Young and we got one of the all-time classic matchups, with Steve Young running it in to win 35-31 with 13 seconds left to win the third straight Super Bowl for the 49ers and their 5th overall (Young would be named MVP); the 49ers wouldn't win again until after they drafted Cam Newton...

Another moment is Selena Quintanilla-Perez's crossover album (she's from my hometown, so there might be bias here), Dreaming of You; it was the debut of Tejano music on the mainstream music market and jumpstarted the Latin music boom of the mid-to-late 1990s (and sent Selena's career into the stratosphere). The single "I Could Fall In Love" went to #1 for 2 weeks, and "Dreaming of You," the follow-up single, hit the top 10...

The Pirates dynasty of the 1990s. The Bucs got wise and traded Bonilla in 1991 and Binds and Drabek in 1992 rather than letting them walk in free agency. Bonds choked for the Braves in the NLCS just like he did for us in 1990 and 1991. Then we swept the Blue Jays in the Series.

Ugh, the fucking Pirates. My Yankees made it all the way to the Series in 1998 on the back of the greatest team in recent memory, and they blew it against the Pirates.

For me, my favorite memory was seeing Bo Jackson lace them up for the Yankees in the 1994 World Series, even if it was a losing effort against the mighty Expos. That and seeing him come through Columbus on a rehab stint.

My fav console from the 90's has to be the Nintendo Playstation, there's a reason why Sega isn't making consoles anymore.

Another part of the 90's I loved was the Monday Night Wars, shame WCW went out in 01 though. (Manly thanks to bad booking decisions and the loss of both Hogan and Savage to WWF)

Probably the beginning...I was ten years younger that I was at the end, and, in the scheme of things, younger is better.

Edit: I probably made this a bit too terse, as if I wasn't paying attention to the subject. My problem with the 90s was the overall timing...I came into the decade pushing 50 and wound up pushing 60 at the end, and somewhere in the last few years, the event of my existence went from being "life" to being "a life sentence" Those of us old enough know what I mean, those not can't know until they get there themselves.

Last edited:
The Marvel Animated Universe started off there. Damn, Iron Man is still the best superhero cartoon ever. The later Avengers (and Avengers Assemble!) spinoff in the early 2000s was epic, building off the earlier successes.

The DC cartoons during this era were also good (and boy were there a lot), but there wasn't really any connection between them.

I actually liked the music scene.
I remember going to see the Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana was the opening act.
For the most part today's music is rather bland. I blame that on the record companies being unwilling to take risks due to the loss of revenue they suffered from streaming music.

My fav console from the 90's has to be the Nintendo Playstation, there's a reason why Sega isn't making consoles anymore.

Another part of the 90's I loved was the Monday Night Wars, shame WCW went out in 01 though. (Manly thanks to bad booking decisions and the loss of both Hogan and Savage to WWF)

Nintendo PlayStation was awesome, but man did it just signal Sony’s problems down the line when they tried to be greedy with Nintendo. That and their attempts at screwing Napster, the first digital musical format, got the company chopped down into smaller companies at the end of it.

Like 1/3rd of the Sony PS folk went to Nintendo and the rest were hired by Samsung when they went into games

I have a couple but here are my two biggest ones

in second place is the successful introduction of the two biggest adaptations of tokusatsu shows in North America Masked Rider and Power rangers. it says something when masked rider decade almost a decade after the first masked rider was so good it crossed over with its original in kamen rider decade, and I still show my nephews power rangers dino thunder and explain the lore that started in the 90's

but the most important one was the "non cannon" destiny animated series that Bungie made, as part of a years long campaign to promote the Destiny game. admitingly it started as a joke with them but they really went all out with it. sure the characters and their relationships (particularly Crota and her romance with the Hunter good as it was both as a villain and later when she was revived as a guardian) were non cannon but so much of the world shown in the show turned out to be game accurate.

I apologize for the longer post but It was my childhood that I grew up on and I do miss some of that joy but hey so much of it has a long lasting legacy that even now we are still riding the 90's wave.

He was controversial at the times, but I thought the reforms brought in by the Perot Administration turned out to be badly needed.

Also on a serious note, the two Berlin Conferences, the first to wind up the Cold War and the Soviet Union, and the second to tackle environmental issues and overpopulation. The second is forgotten, but things would really have gotten out of hand without it.

The Russian Folk Metal scene really kicked off in the '90s. Sadly, it wasn't going to last, but it seems to be making a resurgence as of late...

Status
Not open for further replies.