Calvin and Hobbes animated

IOTL? He's 61 years old. The average American white male expires at 76. https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa/life-expectancy-white-male

So, expect the estate to sell the rights in 2035.

I would not expect that to happen precisely in 2035 which is 16 years from now since Watterson could die either sooner or later but it's unpredictable and even then when he actually dies in the future could his estate if one ever does exist be even allowed to sell the rights (It depends on is specified in Watterson's will if one exists) as it would depend on who inherits the rights when he does die.

It is a possibility that the rights might never get sold or it could be his family selling the rights in the future.

The only comics that translate well to TV are, for lack of a better term, the easier-to-digest ones. Garfield wasn't especially deep and that works for TV. Dilbert and Baby Blues, even though they were built on simple, relatable premises, ended up drifting well away from their bases and they failed accordingly. C&H is probably too deep and esoteric to work as a regular TV show, but what would have had a better chance of succeeding are ones based on Calvin's alter-egos like Spaceman Spliff and Tracer Bullet, the noir detective.

The best analogue to a C&H is The Boondocks; even though it too presented a strong drift from the daily strip (much more emphasis on Uncle Ruckus, and no Caesar, Huey's best friend and more grounded, optimistic accomplice), I think it captured the spirit of the strip and even infused a bit of Peanuts personality into it (maybe that owes to the kids' precociousness and the piano jazz transitions). It hung around for a few seasons on [adult swim]. But a C&H show would not be able to fly under the radar like that; it would get a prominent network slot. And it'd probably be a let-down for a lot of fans with strong memories and expectations, no matter how good it is on its own merits.

MatthewB

Banned
I would not expect that to happen precisely in 2035 which is 16 years from now since Watterson could die either sooner or later but it's unpredictable and even then when he actually dies in the future could his estate if one ever does exist be even allowed to sell the rights (It depends on is specified in Watterson's will if one exists) as it would depend on who inherits the rights when he does die.

It is a possibility that the rights might never get sold or it could be his family selling the rights in the future.
Everything has its price.

Everything has its price.

Price doesn't matter all the time since it depends on the willingness of the individual or individuals to accept. It could end up resulting in no sale ever taking place due to who ends up with the rights deciding to intentionally forego the money that can be made for any reason regardless.

MatthewB

Banned
Price doesn't matter all the time since it depends on the willingness of the individual or individuals to accept. It could end up resulting in no sale ever taking place due to who ends up with the rights deciding to intentionally forego the money that can be made for any reason regardless.
I agree. But imagine you’re Watterson’s widow or adult kid and you own the rights to C&H. You know that regardless of what you so, C&H becomes public domain in the US 70 years after the death of the author. Why wouldn’t you cash out?

Last edited:
Why wouldn’t you cash out?
That reminds of the time Bobcat Goldthwait was asked why kept on making the Police Academy films, he said "The producers kept driving dump trucks full of money in his front yard.", There may come a point when the money is just too good to turn down and unlike The Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes are not generating a lot of revenue from merchandising rights and may take up an offer they think that gives them the most creative control.

C&H becomes public domain in the US 70 years after the death of the author.

The part of when Calvin and Hobbes would enter the public domain would only assume that no changes are made to the current copyright laws (That can either extend or shorten the copyright terms).

That reminds of the time Bobcat Goldthwait was asked why kept on making the Police Academy films, he said "The producers kept driving dump trucks full of money in his front yard.".

Money does motivate some people to do whatever and that is a example.

For the record, I like the 2015 Peanuts movie; I thought it was very true to Schulz's vision.

Anyway, there's another problem with an animated adaptation; Dave Sim (creator of Cerebus the Aardvark, the famed 300-issue independent comic book series) brought it up in an updated edition of the Cerebus Guide to Self-Publishing. If a movie or television adaptation fails, it can hurt the original work or even destroy it, leading to nobody buying, viewing/reading or even taking it seriously.

Impossible you say? Look at Howard the Duck. When I say that name, you probably don't recall the 1970s/1980s comic book - you'll most likely think up the box office bomb of 1986 tied to Howard.

If an animated special or mini-series flops in terms of bad ratings or critics' ravaging, that would have hurt C&H and Watterson a lot. C&H wouldn't be remembered as a groundbreaking comic strip full of beautiful art and heartfelt writing. It would be tied to a lousy TV special much like Howard the Duck is with the failed movie.

Maybe back then, but I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t be the case now. Heck, look Aquaman has changed in the eye of the public beyond his portrayal in Superfriends

MatthewB

Banned
The part of when Calvin and Hobbes would enter the public domain would only assume that no changes are made to the current copyright laws (That can either extend or shorten the copyright terms).
True. The US government under pressure from Disney and its ilk have done the American people a great disservice in this regard.

What if the creator decides to declare his work Public Domain (not that Watterson would do that, but other creators could)?

If you Think of it the background is really dark. Calvin do not have any friends(the few kids we can see on a regular basis is the bully and the next door girl that is in a lovehate relationships with Calvin. Hobbs is his only friend and thus he have made him able to talk. It can be made into a good Movie, but could also be a utter disaster.

If you Think of it the background is really dark. Calvin do not have any friends(the few kids we can see on a regular basis is the bully and the next door girl that is in a lovehate relationships with Calvin. Hobbs is his only friend and thus he have made him able to talk. It can be made into a good Movie, but could also be a utter disaster.

It’s true. Plus Calvin has massive trouble at school, yet is clearly highly intelligent and imaginative, which would really hit close to home for more than a few people.

Hell, I know it did for me. The one where he has to play baseball at recess and the other kids yell at him for being bad at it was way too close to parts of my own school years for comfort. It’s the only one I ever found hard to read.

I know making a TV show or movie might not have the vision of Watterson, but I don't see the problem with allowing C&H stuffed animals to be made.