Heihachiro Goes East

14 March 1836

The man in the ornate uniform looked across the room at his bloodied and beaten prisoner, one of eight taken alive following the destruction of the old mission building blockading the way to the rebellious capital of the breakaway province known as Tejas. He had only just returned from burying his brother Jose Maria, also known as 'Gregorio', and with sadness in his heart was tasked by his commanding officer to interrogate the unusual looking prisoner in the ornate garb. Francisco Esperanza remembered stories of people similar to this man's description having traded with the former Spanish colony of New Spain hundreds of years ago but no one had been able to make him speak yet. It took a few days, largely because the death of Antonio Lopez de Santa Ana confused the situation as did the disproportionate casualties among the victors, but only to Francisco would he speak. "I am sorry for your loss", he stated in rather clear Spanish.

Francisco sat at a small desk in the room with a quill, inkwell, and black sheet of paper. He still felt the numbness and sadness of his brother's death along with anger at his betrayal, but the real anger would take another day or two to set in. "I must ask you questions regarding what happened here. Please answer honestly as you are still technically a citizen of the United States of Mexico and subject to her laws".

At that the mysterious man bound with wrists behind his back spit on the floor and stated, "Ordinarily I would not, but the story of what happened here should be told, so I will oblige. Ask what you will".

His accent was thick, but not undecipherable. "What is your name"?

"Oshio Chusai"

"Where were you born"?

"You would call it Japan"

"How old are you"?

"By your calendar about 35 years old"

Francisco wrote these down and did not lift his eyes from the paper. "What is your occupation"?

"Yoriki - you might call it a junior officer - and police inspector"

"How long have you been in the United States of Mexico"?

"I arrived in Acupulco on 05 February 1834 after being exiled from Japan and catching a passing ship to the Philippines about a year prior. I sought a place to call home and finding none headed north until I arrived here, a new nation just being born where the people seem to share my values". He did not mention either letter he had written, one to his friends asking to publish his Spanish-language version of Taikyo and Makoto, a neo-Confucianism philosophy he developed while in Japan, per the requests of some of his neighbors.

Francisco continued to write. "Where were you trained in swordsmanship"?

"Japan. Until I was exiled I spent my entire life there".

"Why were you exiled"?

"I crossed the wrong man who decided his corruption outweighed the people's justice. Unfortunately the man had friends in high places who passed along a few commands from an ill-informed province governor and off I went. I believe the choice was a wooden ship or a wooden box"

Francisco continued writing. "Were your blades also native to Japan"?

"Yes, the Daisho I carry are family heirlooms and were the swords I trained with as a samurai".

"A 'samurai'? Is that a policeman"?

Oshio thought quickly. "I believe the Spanish word would be 'caballero' though it is not an exact translation. Think of a 'samurai' as a knight and local administrator tied in service to his lord, someone higher in rank but also a member of the 'samurai' class. As I am without a current master I am technically called a 'ronin' though it may be a trivial point to you".

"Can you make more of the blades"?

"No, I am not a swordsmith nor am I knowledgeable of how to make the 'jewel steel' used in their construction".

"You said 'Jewel Steel', is there something special to the metal in its construction? Is that why there is a wavy line down the middle of the larger blade"?

"I am uncertain. That wavy line is called a 'hamon' but it has something to do with how the blade is treated at the very end of the smithing. I do not now more beyond that in how they were made, only their maintenance"

Francisco marveled at the mirror-like polish on the back and center of the metal in those areas not soaked in blood. He set the swords down handle-up next to one of the legs of the table he now used to write down the information at hand. This man had finished many of the Mexican soldiers sent into the breached walls of the former mission itself, his swords having cut like a whirlwind through more than could be easily counted. Fifty was likely an underestimate, ironically the close-quarter fighting made large knives and these swords more effective than the bayonets so many Mexican troops tried to use. "Do you have any family we should notify or any final requests"?

"You could not reach my family if you tried. Japan is closed to outsiders, besides, I was exiled so they will not wish to hear from me. I am likely dead in their eyes even if the crime I am convicted of is a lie. As for final requests - you would kill me without a weapon in hand despite honorable combat"?

Francisco continued writing and lifted his eyes. "Our commanding officer insists as you are technically a traitor by rebelling against the government. I will ask if something may be done as you have neither family nor a home to defend here...which begs the question, what are you fighting for then"?

Oshio scoffed. "I was a man without a home, without a family, without a destiny, without a past, and now apparently without a future. I found a place to call home and a people who welcomed me, I spent two years building a farm near this place and hoped to open a general store. I married a local rancher's daughter whose husband died just before I arrived, she already had three children but is now pregnant with mine and quite safe. When your man Cos came here and took over the things his soldiers did...disturbed my sense...and the rest of her family live near a river called Sabin while I stayed to defend our lands. Over 1000 acres by the river - I had hoped to terrace the land to plant rice and other things while tending to cattle, maybe start anew - but your mention of 'last request' means I am a dead man anyway, yes"?

With that Francisco noted his commander step into the room. "This is the man with the fancy swords and weird armor, right"? The lacquered plate armor remained in the corner, untouched, unclean, and unbroken from the recent fight.

"He has a young wife heavy with child and fought honorably. Maybe he can teach us about his swordsmanship"?

Oshio's eyes changed upon seeing Martin Perfecto de Cos enter the room. "Perhaps if he answers question - who fired the fatal shot against our dear leader Santa Ana"?

Oshio simply looked at the man with apparent rage - unadulterated rage - as Francisco stated, "You should answer his question"

"Davy Crockett with a rifle shot from the top of the gate"...Oshio's eyes continued to grow more vengeful as he spoke.

Cos nodded as Francisco wrote the statement down, "You are a traitor to the people of the United States of Mexico, your death will be by hanging tomorrow morning. When I catch up to your daughter this time, she will not escape". Francisco continued to write and noted Oshio was moving his hands...

Francisco turned to his commander, "Sir, you had best watch..."

"Ay, Sangre De Dios"!, came the shout as Oshio crossed the room in one step, picked up the smaller of the two swords, and rapidly unsheathed it in one fluid movement, taking the head of the Mexican general in a single slash.

Francisco watched him pick up the other sword and adjust it neatly into his belt, almost too scared to speak. "There are hundreds of men here, you have no chance to leave alive..."

Oshio smirked as the soldiers began to appear in nearby doorways. "According to you I am already dead, friend. Pass my swords to my wife and children, please. Today I have something to fight for - maybe one day you will too". With that Oshio quietly moved out of the doorway and began applying his hard-won skills in the art of ken-jutsu.

06 May 1836, San Jacinto, Texas

"Corro is what"?, the visible shock and expression on a seated Sam Houston's face a stark contrast to his normal reserved demeanor.

"President Corro is dead. He was cursing the foolish bravado of Santa Anna and made deplorable comments apparently not aware of Colonel Salas' affection for the man. Salas had him arrested, Corro told the soldiers not to obey the 'rebellious' Colonel but they reportedly did not slow down or flinch from their duties. He reached in his pocket at an unfortunate time apparently to produce an ink pen, but was thought to have a pistol, resulting in his untimely death. Salas is in control of the core of Mexico, but Mexico City is reportedly in chaos and at least four other states are now in open rebellion. We are in de facto control of all territory of Texas province and Nuevo Mexico province, from the Rio Grande to the Sabine, sir, with our new neighbor the Republic of the Rio Grande in control of Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, Coahuila, and now Zacatecas as well".

Houston moved his head slightly considered the map laying on his desk. The current territory, at least in theory, meant Texican control of everything east of the Colorado River. He turned to the young messenger in his office and spoke briefly in force, "Dispatch three scouting units to define a southern border west of the Rio Grande and south of the mouth of the Colorado River, tell them they will be gone for some time and need to give us rights to waterfront property on the Gulf of California or Pacific Ocean, please".

"How long is a long time, sir"?

"At least a year, and tell them to each build a fort near the water to reinforce the claim".

"Yes, sir. Also, an official of the new Republic of the Rio Grande named Antonio Rosillo is here to see you".

"Please send him in"

Antonio Canales Rosillo was a Justice of the Peace who had taken advantage of the moment upon hearing of Santa Anna's death and rapidly organized the new Republic across the river, initially pondering a restoration of the 1824 Mexican constitution but instead opting to move northern Mexico to independence with the possible reconquest of their (former) southern countrymen at a later time. His fluidity in combat and focus on maneuver warfare earned him the nickname, 'The Fox', leaving an impression of what might happen if the two Republics came into conflict. That was not the concern of today, however. "Mr. Houston, always a pleasure". Antonio reached out a large meaty hand, received and grasped by Houston with a smile across both men's faces.

"Indeed, Antonio, indeed. May I offer whiskey or bourbon? Perhaps some steak to go with it"?

"No, no, my friend, I am here on business. Word has it Zacatecas has seceded and Tabasco, along with the Yucatan and even Chiapas, have applied to join the USCA. California is pondering her future as British and American warships continue to greedily eye her fine central harbor. I also hear that the United States has taken an interest in Texas, yes"?

Houston laughed, but said nothing for a moment. Yes, the United States had already noted an interest in the Texas rebellion, now effectively the Republic of Texas, but annexation was a topic of discordance whose side effects the neophyte Republic could ill endure and ill afford. "If they are interested I will welcome whomever they send, but no representatives have come to us as yet, sir".

Antonio smiled and reached into a jacket pocket with a rolled up document, flattening it against the table. "Excellent. We are new players on the world stage just making our way in the world, why not work together to ensure each other's safety, no"?

Before Houston was a tentative non-aggression pact with a caveat of each Republic getting permission to use the other's ports in case of protracted warfare. Rosillo was expecting a fight. "Are you expecting trouble, my friend"?, said Houston without looking up as he read the rest of the document.

"Not today, not tomorrow, but eventually, yes. It is best to be prepared, so I figure we start strong and stay that way. Of course you can take this to your Congress and debate the matter, my people are already in accordance". Houston knew that Rosillo effectively was the strongman for the new southern Republic but did not appreciate the totalitarianism involved. Still, the document also released Rio Grande claims on Texas and set a boundary of 30 degrees from the Rio Grande to the Gulf of California as a demarcation line for 'spheres of influence and future expansion'.

"I will bring this to my people for further review and get back to you in the very near future. How are your people holding up in the face of the civil conflict"?

"A fair question, we are well, thank you, but tales of your Asian swordsman abound and grow more emphatic every time the story is told. Is it true he was made a Colonel before he died"?

Houston knew the propaganda value of a ghost but also when to reign in the exaggerations. "No, he was a Captain, I will endeavor to write more clearly next time".

"I hear his wife is rather pregnant and returning home with the children and her family"

"Yes, many suspect she carries twins as her belly is quite large, and as a Captain the man gained a land grant near Brownwood. Apparently she has titled her 1500 acre spread 'Little Nara' and had a message from him sent overseas via the Dutch East India Company. She was very specific about *them* being the deliverers for some reason, and he wrote a book that will be published when we get a working printing press up and running"

"May I have a copy when the first run is completed"?

That was at least the sixth time Houston could remember being asked that same question. "Certainly, I see no problem with that".

Rosillo smiled warmly, a genuine respect and friendship beaming from his face and not the earlier political smile that could hide opportunism of genuine cooperation. "I look forward to reading it. Please let me know what your Congress thinks in a month or two, until then I will take my leave and wish you God's graces".

Houston returned the warm smile. Few men could ever claim to be a father to their country, maybe that common ground spoke more than the other similarities the men had, but allies were always welcome and cooperation always appreciated. "To you as well my friend, to you as well".

Houston saw Rosillo out of the tent and again pondered the map as the troops of men were readying camp supplies and food for a prolonged expedition. He took out a small string and laid it out in three different patterns, directing his men to proceed to San Fernandino de Guaymas, San Diego, and a smaller village with a really long name he simply remembered as 'Ladytown' just north of San Diego. A Texas with Pacific ports would fare much better than one without, especially if the whole of California could be brought into Texan governance as distinct states. Houston also noted the presence of a Mexican batallion at Aguascalientes but they had not moved in over a week, regardless they would need to be watched closely...

02 August 1837

The ranch of the Chusai family began as 1500 acres, but settlers from several regions were moving into the area along the Colorado River near the mills and fort set up by Anna Chusai and her growing children. Widowed at 34, she had only recently borne the twin sons of her now-late husband who died valiantly at the Alamo. His boys were growing rapidly, two of her other three children were just old enough to participate in farmwork while her daughter was old enough to start thinking about her own marriage prospects. She knew there was interest in her lands with the discovery of iron ore, possibly enough to make considerable quantities of high-grade steel if properly developed, but the unexpected arrival of a large Texas Ranger patrol brought unintended consequences. As they approached a crude wooden gate for the palisade surrounding 'Little Nara', as the community was called per the sign above the gate, the patrol came to a halt. Two rivers each formed the side of a triangle here and behind the gate was the only place to cross the river for at least 25 miles in either direction. "That's far enough, gentlemen", came the cry from the fair-haired but taller woman behind the other side. "What brings you by"?

"Comanche raiders, ma'am, at least two dozen, armed and dangerous. We count four homesteads burned in the last day from the last twenty miles alone"

"What's your name, sir"?

"Corbin. Kenneth Corbin"

"Mr. Corbin I respect that you have your duty but ask that you recognize that we are quite safe here. We know the Comanche and have no quarrel with them, nor does anyone within the walls of this town".

Corbin spoke briefly to his ten or so troops, two of whom spat on the ground and looked angered. "My men are hoping to quell the rebellious natives in the area, I ask that you respect our duty and not impede it".

"We've had no raiding or burning here, but you are free to stay the night if you like"

Corbin and his men laughed. "Ma'am we would like that very much but given our authority as Rangers under the Texas Congress we could simply requisition what we need and be on our way. Obviously we would provide information for fair compensation"

Anna knew this game. More often than not, a handful of these men were 'reformed' or 'former' criminals who were still quite active but carrying legal paperwork instead of being part of a criminal mob. They could deny requisitioning the supplies or worse simply say that they got them from somewhere else, making one of their friends a little richer at state expense. "I think you are well-provisioned as it is from the looks of things, none of you are sallow, three of you are a bit fat, and the rest look well-rested and well fed. We're doing well here, and thank you for your concern, so is there anything else I can help you with in the execution of your duties"?

Corbin smiled and nodded, "Yes ma'am, we'll be coming inside your wooden walls to discuss just that".

"Mind if I see some paperwork first"?

Wrong question. "Excuse me"?

"If you're the real deal you've got paperwork identifying you as a Ranger and signed by Congress, and given your story and its inconsistency I'd like to see that paperwork before you come inside".

The men on horseback laughed as two began readying their pistols. "You have no reason to disbelieve us, and besides you can see the smoke from the homesteads from here". Sure enough, from the east three thick clouds of smoke hung low over the horizon.

"Never heard of a Ranger coming so quickly to signs of burning homesteads when the nearest Ranger station is over 50 miles away. Also never heard of Rangers without paperwork to share or who didn't offer to pay in coin up front. So I've got questions, but do you have answers"?

Corbin smiled wryly. "We've got the firepower to bring down this little wall of yours, we don't want trouble but can give as good as we get. We want food and supplies, maybe a few other things, so just open the gate and no one gets hurt"

Anna briefly imagined the rapes and violence to follow their idea of 'no one (of their men) gets hurt'. She quickly came back to the moment, "I don't think so, Corbin. Move along"

Corbin and his men began a slow gallop to the gate. "You have until I get to the palisade to open the gate, otherwise my men and I will burn down the..."

In rapid succession three shots rang out from the rock edge of the river bank and three of Corbin's men died. Twelve more appeared quietly in front and at least four more behind. Anna smiled briefly, "See, these Comanche were hungry and came in under peaceful terms for food and council. You and yours are liars, and as likely as not murderers and thieves".

"What about the homesteads east of here"?

"Considering the Comanche have been here for a solid week and your smoke is likely a day or two old, you tell me"

The blaze of gunfire that erupted immediately afterwards left three of the Comanche and eight of the white men dead and the other two on the ground, another white man was screaming after his opponents descended on him. The ripping and tearing that followed left no illusions as to the scalping the man received in the heat of the moment. Corbin saw the man in his late 30s or early 40s step up from the rocky river bank and approach with wicked-looking blade in hand. He looked at Anna, "You traitor whore! Betrayed our own people and your own blood to lay down with these bastards! See you in hell"!

"Frontier Justice is tough, if you don't like the consequences maybe you should have behaved more". At this the man with the large steel blade looked up to Anna as she nodded her head in approval, setting the man on his way to the side of Kenneth Corbin as his destiny became all the more certain. As if in a final act of defiance, he looked the Comanche straight in the eye only to ask, "At least let me know the name of my murderer".

The toothy smile and foul old-meat-breath of the Comanche was almost enough to make Corbin cough, but his response was even more disconcerting. "You may call me Santa Anna...while you still can"