AHC: successful wars for independence by Siberia, India, Australia, Canada or South Africa

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
pretty much what it says on the tin.

PoDs can be pre-1900, even if more of the consequences play out post-1900.

Siberia: Probably not going to happen by an independence revolt unless China, Japan or Britain gets involved, and even then it's unlikely. The population is low and majority ethnically Russian, so there's no real nationalism. I suppose you could have an earlier revolution where the rebels end up ruling over Siberia only while the monarchy remains in power in the west but that's still pretty damn unlikely.

India: Sepoy Rebellion. Not that hard.

Australia, Canada: Not exactly sure why they'd revolt, from what I understand they were treated pretty well. I suppose Canada could get help from the US. But for Australia all Britain would need to do is occupy the coasts and let the rebels flee to the outback to die of dehydration, spiders or emu attacks.

South Africa: I suppose the Boers could try to pull something here if they're integrated sooner, but there's little chance of them holding out against British forces and no one has the naval power to help them.

If the province of Québec rebelled with the USA during the independence war, Canada could be said to have win a war of independence.

Siberia: Probably not going to happen by an independence revolt unless China, Japan or Britain gets involved, and even then it's unlikely. The population is low and majority ethnically Russian, so there's no real nationalism. I suppose you could have an earlier revolution where the rebels end up ruling over Siberia only while the monarchy remains in power in the west but that's still pretty damn unlikely.

India: Sepoy Rebellion. Not that hard.

Australia, Canada: Not exactly sure why they'd revolt, from what I understand they were treated pretty well. I suppose Canada could get help from the US. But for Australia all Britain would need to do is occupy the coasts and let the rebels flee to the outback to die of dehydration, spiders or emu attacks.

South Africa: I suppose the Boers could try to pull something here if they're integrated sooner, but there's little chance of them holding out against British forces and no one has the naval power to help them.

Well, for Siberia, it could be stronger case for Far Eastern people who don't feel that they were supported by Russia. A form of Steppe revolution of sorts or something.

Austrailia: For some reason, I keep seeing Ned Kelly as a potential starter for this. Maybe if he bonded with the plight of the Aborigines and something could happen from there.

South Africa: Not sure for this one, though maybe something with the Zulu, especially if the rebels were armmed better or such

Well, for Siberia, it could be stronger case for Far Eastern people who don't feel that they were supported by Russia. A form of Steppe revolution of sorts or something.

The problem is that even in their homeland the Siberian natives are mostly a minority. The only real way I could see it happening is if a devastating revolt at the start of Russia's eastward push convinces Ivan that going east isn't worth it, but even that only buys them a few generations. They just don't have the population to resist Russia on their own.

Had the Californian rangers intercepted the colonial garrison on its way to the Eureka stockade in 1854, I think it would have galvanised the Australian miners to storm Melbourne where they had strong public support.
Once the capital falls, I think it likely that the rebellion would spread accross Australia as it was essentially the same 'taxation without representation' cause which motivated the US war of independence.

Siberia: well if the Whites somehow are able to hold on to Siberia in the Civil War we could have a White Russia and a Red Russia, and thus an independent state in Siberia. Hard to see it happen though.

Sort of - but Australia had responsible self government and so could do what it wanted. What would they be rebelling against?

Well the alternate history part is to make them want to rebel, I suppose by removing responsible self government somehow. Fascist regimes are typically not into self-government as a rule, so if you got a fascist or otherwise totalitarian UK somehow you could get a lot of tensions in the colonies.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Had the Californian rangers intercepted the colonial garrison on its way to the Eureka stockade in 1854, I think it would have galvanised the Australian miners to storm Melbourne where they had strong public support.
Once the capital falls, I think it likely that the rebellion would spread accross Australia as it was essentially the same 'taxation without representation' cause which motivated the US war of independence.

This was a real event in Australian history?

What were these guys doing in Australia?

Had the Californian rangers intercepted the colonial garrison on its way to the Eureka stockade in 1854,

This was a real event in Australian history?

What were these guys doing in Australia?

It was real, the Eureka stockade was a miners strike over licences and voting rights during the height of the Australian gold rush. At its peak it had ~10000 supporters who fractured over the degree of separation from Britain and the treatment of the Irish.

As for the rangers, I can't be sure of why they were there, though many contemporary sources name them as a definitively American mounted brigade. Their leader was one James McGill who claimed to have attended West Point.
I can only assume they had missed out on the rush in California but wanted to replicate those successes in Australia.

For Canada, a British revolution which leads to Canada violently severing ties to the revolutionary state, perhaps?

India’s extremely easy.

Australia has the issue that most Australians weren’t even born there until into the late nineteenth century. Presumably more Irish prisoners would resolve this issue.