What if someone other than McClellan leads the AoP?

Like all alternate histories it depends on who and when. Pope was clearly willing to fight, but overly aggressive, Hooker was willing to fight, but he made his plan too complex and lost confidence at the head of his army, Meade was more cautious, but when push came to shove he was willing to duke it out with Lee.

So really you could do what TheKnightIrish did and kill McClellan in 1862 and try and fit someone else in, and you have a whole different war to look forward to. Personally I've always wondered what would happen had they put Rosencrans in charge.

In the Kanawha Valley in Autumn 1861, William Rosecrans held his own and then some against Lee. Now facing Lee with subordinates like Floyd, Wise, and Loring is an easy thing, but facing Lee in 1862 with Jackson and Longstreet will be an interesting showdown, which could go either way.

If Rosecrans runs a campaign in Virginia like he did the Tullahoma Campaign, it'll be tough going for the AoNV.

Last edited:
Assuming you mean a different general is appointed instead of McClellan, the alternate general would have several advantages over McClellan. An alternate general probably wouldn't undermine general-in-chief Scott to get his position - not only was Scott a better general, the bad example this provided encouraged subordinate generals to undermine leaders of the Army of the Potomac. An alternate general wouldn't have shown the gross disrespect that McClellan showed towards Scott, Lincoln, and Stanton; undermining his own position. An alternate general would have had a more realistic view of enemy numbers, McClellan's fears affected much more than just his actions. Those fears communicated themselves to many in the Army of the Potomac's officer corps, who were afraid Lee was "suddenly going to turn a double somersault, and land in our rear and on both of our flanks at the same time", even after McClellan was gone. Those fears also communicated themselves to the Lincoln administration, convincing them that large numbers of soldiers were needed to guard the capitol, a fear that helped deprive McClellan of the number of troops he wanted in the Peninsula Campaign. An alternate general would probably move faster the McClellan, possibly much faster, which would also make for better relations between the alternative general and the Lincoln administration.

You would likely need to have the battles in Western Virginia against Lee be a failure. McCllean was deemed a national hero for the "minor battles" that he won on the state and he was put into the position due to him being the only commander to have won a battle so far. I doubt that Irvin McDowell would have been able to keep his command/be put into the position after Bull Run but maybe? Other then that you have Nathaniel Banks or Jospeh Manfield?

Md139115

Banned
I demand Kearny! He's from my home state! (And McClellan's too, but that's beside the point) And he rides into battle with guns in both hands while holding the reins in his teeth!

McClellan rejoined the Army at the start of the war. So in terms of seniority, what is the order of seniority for the Regular Army Officers that were generals at the beginning of the war (say to August 1, 1861). A lot of them are too infirm or are needed elsewhere (like Meigs), so who is physically capable, holds sufficient seniority by rank and date of rank, and likely to get Lincoln's attention.

Setting that aside, Scott wanted Halleck as I recall from recent reading, so he seems a likely suspect

I always wanted to have some way to have George Thomas get the job. Best General on either side.
While I personally wouldn't call him the best, Thomas was a very talented commander. His main problems were being a bit slow to get moving at times ("Old Slow-Trot" and such), being a Virginian, and not enjoying any particular closeness with Grant. I'd say the latter two (despite being out of his control) had something to do with keeping from command.

Japhy

Banned
Rosecrans and Halleck as mentioned are options. I'd toss in a Nathaniel Lyons who survives Wilson's Creek as another. For an old Regular Army option. John Wool might be able to be brought in theoretically. Ben Butler at least is a non option. After that things get sort of More hazy, there's plenty of ways to have someone get a more senior State Command like McClellan which shoots them up of course, it's just a matter of who you think can get the job and the press adoration.

Edit: I forgot Buell. You can swing Don Carlos Buell.

Japhy

Banned
I demand Kearny! He's from my home state! (And McClellan's too, but that's beside the point) And he rides into battle with guns in both hands while holding the reins in his teeth!
While the site has a really great Kearney TL, there's really not much of a case of him being suitable for senior command.

Rosecrans and Halleck as mentioned are options. I'd toss in a Nathaniel Lyons who survives Wilson's Creek as another. For an old Regular Army option. John Wool might be able to be brought in theoretically. Ben Butler at least is a non option. After that things get sort of More hazy, there's plenty of ways to have someone get a more senior State Command like McClellan which shoots them up of course, it's just a matter of who you think can get the job and the press adoration.

If Lyon survives Wilson's Creek and his ambitious battle plan had been successful, yeah I can see him winning the adoration of the press.

Japhy

Banned
If Lyon survives Wilson's Creek and his ambitious battle plan had been successful, yeah I can see him winning the adoration of the press.
He already was getting Press attention and his whole performance in the Missouri Crisis really shows a political skill and a willingness to push for Glory. Its pretty damn likely he'd at the very least make a play for command in the perceived big league of the East. But it is a matter of getting his plan to work.

Make someone else instead of McClellan be in charge of the West Virginia campaign, that's a golden opportunity for resume burnishing.