Most important military or naval victory by country?

TFSmith121

Banned
This is just sort of a "solicit the opinion of the board" sort of question, but in the period before 1900, what do our correspondents from various countries see as the most important military or naval victory in their nation's history?

As an example, for the US, I would suggest:

18th Century - Saratoga, given its status both as the defeat of the most threatening British offensive during the Revolutionary War, with all of its impact on American independence and the following centuries of US history;

19th Century - Gettysburg, for its role as the high tide of the rebellion, and all of its impact on the US as a unified nation and the following century of US history;

Thoughts?

Valmy for France, for a certainty; I would go so far as to the argue that single victory completely defined France for the next two hundred years to come.

The rest, is a bit harder, since most countries don't have such an obvious almost all-encompassing formative moment.

TFSmith121

Banned
So Valmy for the Eighteenth Century?

Valmy for France, for a certainty; I would go so far as to the argue that single victory completely defined France for the next two hundred years to come. The rest, is a bit harder.

How about the Nineteenth?

Best,

19th...hm, I'd need to think on that. Gimme a bit.
19th Century? Sedan definitely. From then on France's international politics were no longer about trying to conquer Europe, but merely trying to stop Germany from doing so.

19th Century? Sedan definitely. From then on France's international politics were no longer about trying to conquer Europe, but merely trying to stop Germany from doing so.

Definitely as influential as you put it, but the most serious issue, I think, is that it was a defeat, rather than a victory.

Mercenarius

Banned
Battle of Trafalgar for Britain. It solidify its position as the world's premier naval power in the next 50 or so years.

Almost every major battle won by Prussia in the 7 Years War may count as such.

China's a bit difficult, given its long history, but...

I think by far the most important battle in Chinese history was the Siege of Xiangyang from 1268 to 1273, but that ended in the Sung Dynasty getting defeated by Mongols so I guess it doesn't count.

Land battle - Changping in 271BC removed the last obstacle to Qin dominance in China and so in a sense fostered the creation of the first Chinese Dynasty.

Naval battle - Poyang in 1363 ensured Zhu Yuanzhang's control over China under the Ming Dynasty, and given the immense changes that Zhu Yuanzhang made to the Chinese government (imho not for the better), this is probably the important.

This is just sort of a "solicit the opinion of the board" sort of question, but in the period before 1900, what do our correspondents from various countries see as the most important military or naval victory in their nation's history?

As an example, for the US, I would suggest:

18th Century - Saratoga, given its status both as the defeat of the most threatening British offensive during the Revolutionary War, with all of its impact on American independence and the following centuries of US history;

19th Century - Gettysburg, for its role as the high tide of the rebellion, and all of its impact on the US as a unified nation and the following century of US history;

Thoughts?

Honorable Mentions:

18th Century -

Lexington/Concord, set off London to launch a policy of violent repression, ending any hope for peaceful negotiation. Basically, the war was on.

Trenton/Princeton, convinced the French the Americans were not about to collapse, kept the $$$ coming

Oriskany/Bennington, set up Saratoga

Cowpens, only open battlefield victory against the British Regulars, helped to set up the British losing the South outside of Savannah and Charleston

Virginia Capes, French Victory, greatest strategic victory in French naval history, worst strategic defeat in British naval history, set up Yorktown

19th century - (ALL Civil War)

Antietam, allowed Lincoln to issue the Emancipation Proclamation

Vicksburg, second whammy after Gettysburg, divided the South in two

Missionary Ridge, broke the Confederate Army of the Tennessee and opened the Deep South to invasion

Definitely as influential as you put it, but the most serious issue, I think, is that it was a defeat, rather than a victory.
Its still a victory. Just not for the French. The Germans certainly considered it a type of victory.

Last edited:

TFSmith121

Banned
Yes, Quebec 1763 (Plains of Abraham) struck me as the obvious choice for

Plains of Abraham or Vimy Ridge for Canada.

Yes, Quebec 1759 (Plains of Abraham) struck me as the obvious choice for Anglophone Canada for the Eighteenth Century; little different for Francophone Canada, of course.

Vimy, certainly, but that would be for post-1900.

The Nineteenth Century question is interesting, for all sorts of reasons...I'd suggest Chateauguay (1813) but others may disagree.

Ridgeway (1866) is another one; tactical defeat, but strategic victory, I'd argue.

Best,

TFSmith121

Banned
How about Second Taku Forts?

China's a bit difficult, given its long history, but...

I think by far the most important battle in Chinese history was the Siege of Xiangyang from 1268 to 1273, but that ended in the Sung Dynasty getting defeated by Mongols so I guess it doesn't count.

Land battle - Changping in 271BC removed the last obstacle to Qin dominance in China and so in a sense fostered the creation of the first Chinese Dynasty.

Naval battle - Poyang in 1363 ensured Zhu Yuanzhang's control over China under the Ming Dynasty, and given the immense changes that Zhu Yuanzhang made to the Chinese government (imho not for the better), this is probably the important.

I'm thinking we'll see Dàgū Pàotái show up as the name of a PRC warship at some point, if it isn't already...come on, how many countries can say they drove off the RN in a combined arms attack in the Nineteenth Century?

Okay, the Russians at Petropavlovsk, and the Americans at Fort McHenry/Hampstead Hill and Lake Champlain/Plattsburgh, but still...

Best,
progress.gif

Riain

Banned
Napoleon gave orders to the Governor of Mauritius to capture the fledgling Colony of New South Wales, but this fell over after Trafalgar. So the most important pre 1900 victory for Australia was Trafalgar.

I'm thinking we'll see Dàgū Pàotái show up as the name of a PRC warship at some point, if it isn't already...come on, how many countries can say they drove off the RN in a combined arms attack in the Nineteenth Century?

Well in terms of historical importance for China I'm not sure it meant anything... since they still got defeated in the next Anglo-French attempt, and so lost the Second Opium War.

If we are to judge the importance of Chinese battles vs. how they performed against the West I'd say some of the battles in the Sino-French War (indeed, the entire Sino-French War) should be seen as more important.

So far the PLAN seems happy on naming ships after geographical features, but if they ever change their naming conventions I bet anything related to the 'Century of Humiliation' will be the first ones to be chosen.

Napoleon gave orders to the Governor of Mauritius to capture the fledgling Colony of New South Wales, but this fell over after Trafalgar. So the most important pre 1900 victory for Australia was Trafalgar.
Considering the distance and time period, no. Decisive for Britain, Europe , Mediterranean, Atlantic and Canada, but not so for the Pacific and Indian oceans in the Napoleonic Wars.