Retrospective US Presidential Election: 1848

Vote in the 1848 Retrospective US Presidential Election!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was possibly the only time that Martin Van Buren was the right choice. I voted for Martin Van Buren.

Not really any good choices here.

Cass is corrupt and super-imperialistic, even for a 1840's Democrat (and probably a racist, too.)

Taylor was an alright president (I'd rank him pretty much exactly in the middle of US presidents) but he's gonna die and hand the reigns over to Filmore, easily one of this nation's worst and a future Know-Nothing.

Smith is a good man, but financially supported an armed raid on an arsenal owned by the US Federal Government. In legal terms I'd call that treason and even morally it is a bit hard to justify - especially since this raid actually cost people their lives. Also, he spent two months 2 months in an asylum in Utica. The theories about this say that either he was faking to avoid prosecution (not a trait I want in a US President) or that he suffered a genuine mental breakdown - still not a trait I want in a US President.

That leaves Van Buren. As President in reality (he was never VP or President in this TL) he did very little other than take the blame for policies enacted under Jackson, but he is a mostly decent person running under the banner of a sensible and reasonable political party. Also, his running mate was an Adams: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Francis_Adams,_Sr.

Free Soil, Free Speech, Free Labor and Free Men! Vote for Van Buren/Adams and the Free Soil Party in '48!

Charles Franis Adams unfortunately is only a pale shadow of his dad an grandpa.

And to Wolfpaw, i support taking any land an adding it the the us, especialy if its mostly empty or possessed by a incompetant group of people.

Charles Franis Adams unfortunately is only a pale shadow of his dad an grandpa.

And to Wolfpaw, i support taking any land an adding it the the us, especialy if its mostly empty or possessed by a incompetant group of people.

I voted for Polk in '44, but I didn't know my ancestors were incompetent.

Seriously, Mexico should be deeply ashamed of Texas managing to break away. It was a matchup even more offset than the one between the US an the south. They dont have any excuse either than having one of the least functioning federal governments staffed by some of the crappiest politicians an borderline thugs, in all of history.

Ive nothing against its people, i just think theyd be better off in the long run as US citizens.

Many of them agree with me.

Last edited:
Both elections this week have proven rather surprising so far. Here I thought it would be a race between Van Buren and Taylor for first, not for second. Let's see some more votes.

That leaves Van Buren. As President in reality (he was never VP or President in this TL) he did very little other than take the blame for policies enacted under Jackson, but he is a mostly decent person running under the banner of a sensible and reasonable political party.
Hmmm, when you phrase it that way, you know i probably wouldnt mind voting for Van Buren.

Not really any good choices here.

That leaves Van Buren. As President in reality (he was never VP or President in this TL) he did very little other than take the blame for policies enacted under Jackson, but he is a mostly decent person running under the banner of a sensible and reasonable political party. Also, his running mate was an Adams: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Francis_Adams,_Sr.

Free Soil, Free Speech, Free Labor and Free Men! Vote for Van Buren/Adams and the Free Soil Party in '48!
He's also got the Van Buren Boys behind him.

Seriously, Mexico should be deeply ashamed of Texas managing to break away. It was a matchup even more offset than the one between the US an the south. They dont have any excuse either than having one of the least functioning federal governments staffed by some of the crappiest politicians an borderline thugs, in all of history.

It is not surprising considering Mexico suffered near constant civil war, racial tensions, and a population not large enough to populate Alta Mexico including Texas which is why the Americans were allowed into Texas in the first place

I've always had my doubts that Mexico should be a country. Or at least the Country it is today. Say give the US the half north of where the Rio Grande meets the gulf, let the Maya have their country in the Yucatan, as well as 2 or 3 of the other largest indigenous groups in their respective areas, and your left with a functioning country centered on Mexico City, where most of the power in Mexico has always flowed.

Come on, let's keep out Smith. The guy was in an asylum! It's all about the Van Buren Boys!

I've always had my doubts that Mexico should be a country. Or at least the Country it is today. Say give the US the half north of where the Rio Grande meets the gulf, let the Maya have their country in the Yucatan, as well as 2 or 3 of the other largest indigenous groups in their respective areas, and your left with a functioning country centered on Mexico City, where most of the power in Mexico has always flowed.
...You are as ignorant as the real imperialists were.

Come on, let's keep out Smith. The guy was in an asylum! It's all about the Van Buren Boys!

Seconded. Vote Free Soil, for a sane and reasonable restriction of slavery. Keep the radical imperialists, militant abolitionists (abolition is fine but notwith bloodshed) and Milliard Filmore out of the White House!

This would never happen. Trust me read some books about post-independence Mexico and you will understand that it doesn't make much sense to do such things. If anything Alta Mexico would remain Spanish rather then American if such a plan was carried out after independence

Seconded. Vote Free Soil, for a sane and reasonable restriction of slavery. Keep the radical imperialists, militant abolitionists (abolition is fine but notwith bloodshed) and Milliard Filmore out of the White House!
Or in other words, vote Free Soil to leave slavery strictly in place where it is and maybe eventually abolish it by year 2000. If you actually want to help the people currently being enslaved, vote Liberty!

Vote Garrett Smith with all deliberate speed!

Or in other words, vote Free Soil to leave slavery strictly in place where it is and maybe eventually abolish it by year 2000. If you actually want to help the people currently being enslaved, vote Liberty!

Vote Garrett Smith with all deliberate speed!

It's retrospective, slavery will be gone come 1865. Might as well try to avoid putting a naive idealist (who, as has been mentioned, funded a raid on a US federal arsenal) in the White House and focus on limiting slavery until its inevitable collapse.

Old John Brown’s body lies moldering in the grave,
While weep the sons of bondage whom he ventured all to save;
But tho he lost his life while struggling for the slave,
His soul is marching on.

John Brown was a hero, undaunted, true and brave,

And Kansas knows his valor when he fought her rights to save;
Now, tho the grass grows green above his grave,
His soul is marching on.

He captured Harper’s Ferry, with his nineteen men so few,

And frightened "Old Virginny" till she trembled thru and thru;
They hung him for a traitor, they themselves the traitor crew,
But his soul is marching on.

John Brown was John the Baptist of the Christ we are to see,

Christ who of the bondmen shall the Liberator be,
And soon thruout the Sunny South the slaves shall all be free,
For his soul is marching on.

The conflict that he heralded he looks from heaven to view,

On the army of the Union with its flag red, white and blue.
And heaven shall ring with anthems o’er the deed they mean to do,
For his soul is marching on.

Ye soldiers of Freedom, then strike, while strike ye may,

The death blow of oppression in a better time and way,
For the dawn of old John Brown has brightened into day,
And his soul is marching on

The part about the north of the rio grande was more a joke than anything else. Still think Mexico should be smaller. Or bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.