Remnants of Rome

Death

Banned
What? He's nowhere near a million views. We don't even have nearly that many users, and even including guests I don't think any TL could get that many views (not even Look to the West, FaBR, Decades of Darkness etc.)

He is near 100000 views, but not 1000000.

EDIT: La page is mort, vive la page!

Thank you for correcting my mistake.

As hard as it is to believe, I've actually remembered this again :p, and will probably manage to post the last update tomorrow. And if not tomorrow, then the day after tomorrow.

In addition, though this timeline will be over with, I may start another timeline. I've probably enough time for it. Though I'll probably ignore the results of that one poll. And it may be an ASB timeline, or in the Alternate History Writers' forum and not actually be a timeline at all. And I probably won't post it until I've got quite a bit written. And andandandandand.

Also, I bet at least two people will facepalm at the last update.

and the suspense builds!

It now has to be posted today or tommorrow!!

I wish it would continue, maybe there is a small chance your suprising us with a regular update and plan to continue, but im not so sure thats gonna happen :(

This timeline was a good one, I enjoyed every single detail and the maps was brilliant. In your last update, I hope the Brythonics had repelled the Lombardigians.

What? He's nowhere near a million views. We don't even have nearly that many users, and even including guests I don't think any TL could get that many views (not even Look to the West, FaBR, Decades of Darkness etc.)

He is near 100000 views, but not 1000000.

EDIT: La page est mort, vive la page!

Yeah, no timeline is close to 1,000,000 views. Though to be honest the Blank Map Thread, Map Thread V, and Map Thread VI are already over a million views, which I did not expect.

Update almost done. I told y'all you'd facepalm.

EDIT: This time, do skip the update and just look at the map.

Last edited:
RESPICE FINEM

The Pope, the Hermundaromanian president, and the largely ceremonial Council of Duçues stood on a rectangular concrete platform in the very center of Hermundaroma. Around them stood at least two million people.

The year was 1820 AD, and it was the fifth of February. Throughout the preceding few decades, the world had undergone enormous change. The global population had recently ballooned to 5.8 billion. Massive innovation occurred in all sciences, but especially the emerging field of robotics. However, by the fifth of February in the year 1820, all of this mattered not. It was a significantly simpler invention, one invented about half a century ago in 1767, that would make all of these technologies, and all this progress, useless.

“My countrymen, citizens of Hermundaromania, one of the foremost nations in the world” announced the president, “as you most likely already know, Türükegutland and the rest of the ANCD have declared war on the League and Commonwealth of Roman Nations, of which we are a part. And both the SPQR and Türükegutland contain nuclear capability.” The president sighed. “There is little we can do now but wait in this plaza with our loved ones and with the rest of the people of Hermundaroma until the end comes,” he continued, “I will now permit the Pope, the Council, or anyone near this platform to come up and speak.”

Meanwhile, hundreds of nuclear warheads from the ANCD targeted various LCRN cities, including Hermundaroma. LCRN warheads, too, had been launched, and they headed to various ANCD cities--including Türükestatir.

A Polytheist Apocalypsist priest from the crowd stepped up to the podium. He exercised the right of freedom and religion and speech: “The END IS NEAR. EMBRACE THE BOMB. WE WILL BE TAKEN TO A GREATER PLACE! WE WILL MEET THE GODS!” The crowd, however, outcried against the Apocalypsist--they didn’t want to listen to this lunatic on the last day of their lives!

The head Duçue requested a chance to speak. “I believe that the Pope, the Bishop of Hermundaroma-and-Graecia-Parva himself, should lead a prayer in this dire time.” The crowd, except for trace Zoharists and Knights of Reason, agreed. But the Pope looked ill. He was very old, and had been for a decade, but today he looked far worse than normal. He did not answer.
Suddenly, the nuclear alarm blared. Its sound radiated throughout Hermundaroma. It became impossible to hear anything but its piercing wail.

Then it stopped.

The Pope stepped up to the podium.

Wistfully, he said, “...God... is dead.”

All was silent. For one second that is.

Hermundaroma was destroyed in a nuclear blast. Within five minutes, all major cities throughout the entire world were destroyed. Ash, smoke, and soot surrounded the Earth’s skies. A decades-long winter had begun, and the world was thrown back into the Mediatempene Age.

RARI·NANTES·IN·GVRGITE·VASTO

Map is here in separate post.

remnants of rome30 - Copy.png

remnants of rome30 - Copy.png

grim. very grim.

i guess you could say things turned out for the better that rome did not survive according to xwarq.

on the flip-side, would they really have had nukes? would the thought even have occurred to them? so many things were different... iunno.

very well written though