Remnants of Rome

They didn't get killed off. They just got conquered.

Well Alemannia won't survive long enough as a united entity for it to be torn apart forcefully. It will split apart though, and the resulting realms will face some rebellions.

Sacrapedes are only against heathens (like the Crusades were supposed to be, until the whole Latin Empire thing). There will, eventually, be religious war (that isn't considered a Sacrapede) against polities on the Continent, but that's sort-of far-off. Also the Britannic Pope is the Bishop of Londinium. So he's in Londinium.

Well I'd like to refrain from mentioning things not shown on the map--I prefer to introduce them when they interact with 'the civilized world'. India... I'll try to describe some of that, not in the next update but just occasionally as an addition to other updates. But I'm really unfamiliar with Indian history.

Well not expulsion. Just a population explosion and settlement of neighboring lands. But yeah, Nubians replacing Arabs in the resettlement of North Africa and the Middle East would be pretty interesting.

Likes the idea of a Nubian state after more than a thousand years conquering Egypt again -even if it's temporarily. Nubian expansionism!

it is sad to see the Picts be vazals to the H.R.E., but it surley was inevitable

I personaly think a early norse invasion would be interesting: considdering the frankish kingdom was invaded by Hygelac, king of the Geats. this could realy mess up the current ballance of power

(excuse me for my english. I live in the north-eastern part of the Netherlands, and although english (besides History) is my best class, I realy suck at writing:p)

it is sad to see the Picts be vazals to the H.R.E., but it surley was inevitable

I personaly think a early norse invasion would be interesting: considdering the frankish kingdom was invaded by Hygelac, king of the Geats. this could realy mess up the current ballance of power

(excuse me for my english. I live in the north-eastern part of the Netherlands, and although english (besides History) is my best class, I realy suck at writing:p)

I know how you feel my penmineship is horrible!:(

This isn’t an update.
This is for me, mostly; these are ATL names and words, or OTL ones that would be hard to re-find again, or fell out of use and are still used ITTL (that would also possibly be hard to re-find).

Place names:
Tiranamaxima: Capital of SPQR. NW of Toledo.
Composita Tella: Santiago de Compostela.
Roma Nova: Along the coast of Asturiae.
Iuliopolis: Former fort, now walled city, in southern Gallaecia.
Roman provinces in Iberia: Post #41.
Khodasahr: Also called Khodasahrestan. The city of Jerusalem.
Al-Maqdis: Huge kelisa in Khodasahr.
Isca Silurum: Isca Augusta.
Ardrecken: Arbeia.
Grand General Commander of the Faithful: Military title of Rahbars.
Lucky Arabia: Yemen and southern west-coast of the Arabian peninsula.
Gibidoijaz: Former Gepid capital, formerly called Gibidaz.
Parici, Lutetia, Lutetia Parisorium, and Parisorium: Four names for the same city.
Remorica: The Breizh peninsula plus a bit of Normandy.
Fhreinca: Most of the Breizh peninsula.
New Korsun: Noviodunum.
Buw: A city on the Southern Bug.
Hus: A city on the Dneiper/Nistru. Upriver, but not near Gibidoijaz.
Graecia Parva: Roman name for old Rome. Means ‘Little Greece’.
Nuubi-Sahr: City in Maqedunya with a primarily Nuubi population.
Kindasahr: City founded by the Yehudahids after the Zoharist conquest of Arabia. Lies on the lands of the former Badawi tribe of the Kindah.
Gymburg: Former capital of Frysklan.
Vlevo See: Zuiderzee/Lacus Flevo
Ninuecivitas: Alemannian name for the Frysk city of Nymwegen.
Sērēs: China
Eblana Coloniae: Holy Roman city. Built on the ruins of Eblana (Dublin).
Colonia Fidei: Holy Roman city in northeast Hibernia.
Colonia Zynoae: Holy Roman city in southwest Hibernia.
Dokkum: Frysk city.

Terms:
Târikh: Zoharist holy book...just to remember that the a has the little arrow above it.
Kelisa: A mosque in Zoharism.
Emperor-Consul: Also called the Flavitirani (singular Flavitiranus), these two people were the two most powerful elected officials in the SPQR.
Maqedunya: Zoharist name for the Zoharist-influenced areas in Europe. Completely separate from Makedonzja.
Kehsi: Religious and communal leader in Zoharism. Think ‘imam’.
Yehud Zoharism: Eastern Zoharism.
Qanun Zoharism: Western Zoharism. Sometimes called themselves Shapurs or Dins. Yehuds called them Kafars.
Slakhaliva: Zoharist slave-soldier. Means Slav, but most were Greeks or Copts.
Nuubi: An ethnic group. Descendants of the Makurian and Aksumite mercenaries who settled in Nuubi-Sahr and their intermingling with the local population.
Britannic Christianity: Led by a Papa/Pope who is the Bishop of Londinium. Practiced in the Holy Roman Empire.
Catholic Christianity: Led by a Papa/Pope who is the Bishop of Rome. Practiced throughout the Western Mediterranean and Europe.
Nomitrope Christianity: Also known as Nomitropo Christianity. Led by a Pater who is the Bishop of Constantinopolis (which is actually named Xorapolis and Shahrestan). Practiced throughout the Eastern Mediterranean and coexists with Zoharism. Calls itself the Nomitrope Catholic church.
Badw: Plural of Badawi, or Bedouin.
Vahshil: Leader of a Vahshilate.
Malka: Leader of a Malkadom.
Rahbar: Leader of a Rahbarate.
Mohammedan: Subject of the Mohammedan Vahshilate.
Qayan: Leader of a Qayanate.
Qahremân: Persian for ‘war hero’ or ‘champion’. It was a military award given to distinguished generals of Zoharist states. For most of the time it was granted, it was a golden helmet that looked similar to a Corinthian helmet.
Heilagkrig: Old Taurigothic for ‘holy war’. Its Hebrew form is Milkhemet Mitzvah.
Sacrapede: A crusade.
Bulgars: Khazartürük horsemen.
Duçue: Duke.
Patrickites: Small group of Goidel Christians that assimilated into Britannic Christianity.
Utigurs: Peoples related to the Khazartürüks.
Kutrigurs: Peoples related to the Khazartürüks.

Eras:
Classical Antiquity: Everything before February 3rd, 530.
The Mediatempene Period: From February 3rd, 530 to <undefined>

Widespread, personal names, some alternate, some not. Some surnames and Arab-name-parts:
Antoniuso: A North Italian name.
Kunedzi: A Slavic name.
Rozedazi: A Slavic name.
Vlucezi: A Slavic name.
Ruczeu: A Slavic name.
Vluku: A Slavic name.
Judocus: A Biohaemian name.
Azipar: A Langobard name.
Cryten: A Votadini name.
Gorteim: A Pict name.
Aganaric: A Taurigoth name.
Velusius: An Italiaion name.
Lusitanius: A Roman name.
Flavius ... Tiranus: New names that Emperor-Consuls/Flavitirani recieve.
Boikoz: A Slavic name.
Khodadad: A Persian name.
Zarin: A Zoharist name most common in Persia.
Faramondus: An Alemannian name.
Archeos: An Italaion name.
Xanthipos: A Greek-Zoharist name and Italaion name.
Akariyar: A Hunnic name.
Ayarizich: A Biohaemian name.
Toramana: A Toramanid name.
Parekhlal: An Ahirstani name.
Sa’id: An Arab name, but used mostly by Mohammedans.
Mohammed: An Arab name, but used mostly by Mohammedans. Can be a surname.
Yehudah: Jewish and Persian surname.
Abas-Mashid: Possible component of an Arab name.
Shapur: A Zoharist surname.
-varman: Suffix for Varman kings.
Abd-: In Arab surnames, a prefix meaning ‘servant of’. In Persian names, just a meaningless personal name.
Abdahura: An Arab name. Means ‘servant of Ahura’.
Kardar: Zoharist surname.
Mustafa: An Arab name.
Genobephius: A name used in the Holy Roman Empire.
Leo: A name used in the SPQR, Holy Roman Empire, and Alemannia. Especially prominent among Britannic Popes.
Rek: A Taurigothic name.
Aimilio: A Holy Roman name.
Belut: An Arab name.
Estemi: A Türükic name.
Mergül: A Türükic name.
Abuğil: A Türükic name.
Zynno: A Holy Roman name.

Misc:
Khodi the Elephant: Character in Hunnic folklore.
SPQR system of government: Senators, generals, governors elect the Flavitirani. Senators are elected by the people, governors are elected by people of the provinces but the candidates are Senate-picked, and generals are appointed by their superiors. There are two types of legislative assembly, committees by any Roman citizens, councils by certain classes.
Arabian Zoharism: De jure Yehud, but worship of and belief in the old gods persists.

I just realized that I didn't even notice the huge mistake in the last map, heh.

I'll post this update then I'll fix the previous one.

FALL OF XIONG

Ever since the establishment of the Xiong Dynasty (熊朝) on the ruins of the collapsed Jin Dynasty (晉朝) in 422, it had absolutely dominated Sērēs. Ruled from the capital of Dongbeiziben (東北資本) [1], the Xiong Dynasty of Sērēs prospered. It commanded armies of hundreds of thousands of troops each due to its large population base. It possessed a vast interconnected trade network in addition to the lucrative trade with the west along the Silk Road. Not only was the nation powerful militarily, and prospering financially, but art and culture, too, thrived. The Xiong Dynasty was considered one of the high points of Seresian history, a parallel or successor to the Han dynasty many centuries before it, and the lands of Sērēs flourished for more than a century.

However, the Xiong Dynasty faced difficulties, though at first it was able to overcome these. From the 530s to the 550s, they were continuously attacked by Türükic hordes and related peoples, such as the Rourans, Eastern Qokürüks, Eastern Khazartürüks, and others. But the powerful central government and army of the Xiong Dynasty was able to fight them back. From the late 540s to the end of 568, the Xiong Dynasty even faced revolts from within Sērēs, of which certain rebellious generals were responsible. The Xiong were able to defeat these rebellions too. From December 568 to November 570, there was even a period called the Two Years’ Peace.

The Xiongs seemed insurmountable. But it was not so, as the Xiong had been gradually weakened by the difficulties faced previously, and the Two Years’ Peace was not enough time to fully recover. The Türükic tribes of the Qidan and Kyrghiz began a massive assault southward beginning late December 570. In January 571, the first battle of the war occurred, the Battle of Huaishibai (壞失敗), which was named not after any settlement, but out of the result of the battle. Huaishibai means ‘Bad Defeat’. Steppe cavalry devastated Seresian empires before the Xiong, and they again devastated the late Xiong. The Qayan of the Qidan, who is only known by the Seresians’ name for him, Burendao (不人道), meaning ‘inhuman’, reportedly said to the Xiong’s main general during the Battle of Huaishibai, Chen Peng (陳鵬), “You were lucky years prior. Now I am the Qayan, and we are the victors,” however, some say this is embellishment made several hundred years later by the Seresian historian Li Li (李李).

Challenges the Xiong could face previously would proceed to overcome them over the next decade. Several decades before, rebellious generals took advantage of the invasion of Türükic hordes General Kong Wei (孔偉) of the city Jiangling and General Fang Tao (方濤) of the city Nanhai declared the Kong and Fang dynasties respectively in central and southern Sērēs. Subsequently, 60,000 troops led by the Emperor, known as Xiong Chen Hao (熊陳浩), headed south to fight these rebels, attempting escape the terrible fate they would face if they fought the Wan Yeman Ren (萬野蠻人), or Million Barbarians (actually, there were only 150,000; of course, this was still a monstrous number). Xiong Chen Hao put the generals he disliked the most, Wu Zhuang (吳壯), Yang Ming (楊明), and Wang Dong (王東), in charge of fighting the northern invaders, while he fought Kong Wei and Fang Tao.

This turned out to be a quite disastrous measure. Not only did he dislike the three generals primarily because of their very incompetence as generals, but Emperor Xiong Chen Hao himself was a mediocre commander, to say the least. His collaborator, General Chen Peng, the best Xiong general, was shot in the heart with an arrow during the Battle of Wuchang, the first battle against the Kong, leaving the 60,000 troops under the command of Xiong Chen Hao and a general he picked from his troops, who was known as Lu (驢), which means ‘donkey’ in Seresian.

In July 579, the Qidan and Kyrghiz began to siege the capital Dongbeiziben. The Xiong Dynasty was crumbling...

[1] Dongbeiziben (東北資本) means ‘Northeast Capital’ in the Seresian languages. Dongbeiziben is located on the eastern coast of Sērēs, northeast of Jianye

MAPPITY MAPPITY MAP... mappa mapa map.

remnants of rome21 - Copy.png

remnants of rome21 - Copy.png

Last edited:
I demand that the Vars survive; they're the closest thing to the Gaugaz people! Or at least manage to survive the constant invasions.