Remnants of Rome

It was an amazing update and I commend you for the effort. Once you go further into what would be considered in our time-line as the Dark Ages, maybe a bit more information can be given on the kingdom of Hermundia and its successor kingdoms spread through northern Italy. I can see one of them Ravenia taking the spot that the Venetians had in trying to establish the role of middleman between the intra-Mediterranean maritime trade; colonies can be established on the Hunnic coast which I believe are consisted of clear majority Romance-speaking populations who would want protection from the Huns deeper inland. They can also snag Crete from the Rhomanians who look like they are about to be conquered by the Shapurids.

Great update as usual :)

Im wondering are the Turks still in central asia, and if they are are they gonna move anywhere? Would be neat to have turkish baltic or east europe etc :D

Great update as usual :)

Im wondering are the Turks still in central asia, and if they are are they gonna move anywhere? Would be neat to have turkish baltic or east europe etc :D

A Turkic invasion of the Russian steppes would be incredibly nice and for the win. That way they can at least maintain their religion more or less intact for a little while more than if they invaded a place like Persia which the author mentioned is the one of the core areas for Zoharist activities. I can see a slave trade of Slavic and Germanic peoples developing between the Taurigoths, Shapurids and the Turks and maybe even another party like Ravenia as I mentioned before for a potential maritime imperial power or even the Huns since they're pretty much living on the Dalmatian coast.

I'm thinking itd be awesome if the allemanians (since they're the new powerhouse) moved into n.italy and stayed out of breton/burgundian/lombard gaul. i kinda like a divided gaul. also curious about how a still predominanty angle and jute juteland peninsula will affect the nordic nations. no denmark? i'm still sitting on my seat about the magyars considering the cliffhanger response i got when i last asked about them. itd be strange if they went to war with the huns considering the magyars formed hungary (oh, irony). if shapurid empire is predominantly greek, why not a rhomanian expansion or something. it seems odd that they stayed out of and didnt do more to damage the crumbling zoharist state. are the taurigoths gonna duke it out with khazar? hows the papacy doing?aaaaaaahhhh, so many unanswered questions. this tl is like lost; i love it, but i hate that i have to wait to figure out what the heck is happening only to discover half of my questions wont be answered.

awesome stuff amigo

I think Gaul or rather Alemannia looks rather nice on the map and it seems that the remaining Bretons and assimilated Franks are not as strong as in this time-line as they are in our time-line since there's a lot more greater stability in Britannia mean lesser migration of Celts across the Strait to Alemannia. And Rhomania consists of only Constantinople and Crete, not very much if you want to expand.

Hmm, I wonder what 'Taurigoth' would be, transliterated to into Oghuz or Kypchak Turkic...

It was an amazing update and I commend you for the effort. Once you go further into what would be considered in our time-line as the Dark Ages, maybe a bit more information can be given on the kingdom of Hermundia and its successor kingdoms spread through northern Italy. I can see one of them Ravenia taking the spot that the Venetians had in trying to establish the role of middleman between the intra-Mediterranean maritime trade; colonies can be established on the Hunnic coast which I believe are consisted of clear majority Romance-speaking populations who would want protection from the Huns deeper inland. They can also snag Crete from the Rhomanians who look like they are about to be conquered by the Shapurids.
Someone's going to take over the role of Venice, but it isn't going to be Ravenia.

Last edited:

Nomad

Banned
Nice update.I wonder,anyway,what about creating Christian kingdoms in the Levant?I don't think Zoharism imposed so much itself there.Also,I don't think that Christians and Jews there are happy to pay taxes just because they aren't Zoharists,so why not?About Italia,why not to make it arm itself and make a war against the Slavic states in Hellas and resettle many greeks there,so to have once again a Greek Greece?

Nice update.I wonder,anyway,what about creating Christian kingdoms in the Levant?I don't think Zoharism imposed so much itself there.Also,I don't think that Christians and Jews there are happy to pay taxes just because they aren't Zoharists,so why not?About Italia,why not to make it arm itself and make a war against the Slavic states in Hellas and resettle many greeks there,so to have once again a Greek Greece?

Like the Islamic jizya, the tax is probably very low so they won't really mind. Plus I assume they get all the perks of Islamic civilization in the Zoharist Rahbarates.

It would be centuries before that could be feasible, the Rahbarate may have split in two but both are still very powerful.

It's a small tax, and they don't risk being conscripted (though they can't join the army voluntarily, either).

Italia... Well, first off, if they resettled Greeks in Greece, then Latins would become the majority in actual Italia again. That could be a problem. Second, the reason so many Greeks escaped Greece was to escape some crazy barbarian savages who were possibly cannibals--there's no one to escape from now and Italia has better land than Greece, so Greek settlers would either be small in number, or they would be forced to go there--which, again, would lead to Latins not Greeks being the majority..
Plus they have plenty of people they could attack in their own peninsula.

I am wondering on the Romance-speaking populations in the Balkans at this point, the core group that would be the seeds to the likes of the Aromanians and Romanians of our time-line, are they living in co-existence with the Slavs that have taken the Balkans?

Very impressive Timeline Xwarq, I love the ideas you've created here. The way you're portraying the various migrations and their ramifications is very true to life, and I think it holds up pretty well. I love the maps!

Very impressive Timeline Xwarq, I love the ideas you've created here. The way you're portraying the various migrations and their ramifications is very true to life, and I think it holds up pretty well. I love the maps!

Reason why it deserves a Turtledove!

I am wondering on the Romance-speaking populations in the Balkans at this point, the core group that would be the seeds to the likes of the Aromanians and Romanians of our time-line, are they living in co-existence with the Slavs that have taken the Balkans?
Regarding the Romanians, some are in Gibidoijaz, some are in the Taurigoth lands, and some are in Mozja.
A moderate majority (say... 60%) of the ones in Gibidoijaz and Mozja are slaves. The rest coexist with the Slavs and are not slaves. The nonslaves are either the ones who joined the horde, or ones who hid in the countryside (As is actually the case with all the other absorbed ethnicities too, which I forgot to mention--some of them hid in the mountains, in caves, in forests... If I recall correctly the Ottoman Empire never took full control of some mountains in Hungary because attacking them wasn't worth it).

Most of them know Venedi Slavic though. Except the descendants of the ones who hid.

The Taurigothic Romanian Romans are mostly secluded farmers, or their opposite, merchants profiting from the Taurigoths' presence in the area.

Regarding the Aromanians... basically the same fate, though they're mostly all in Slavic lands.

Great update Xwarq. :)

Though one question, why was Sicily separated from the rest of Italia? I would imagine the island would be highly disputed with it's wealthy and value, however like the rest of Italian it's probably a Greek majority.

Who knows, maybe this is the something that could start tensions between the two most powerful states in the Mediterranean?

Great update Xwarq. :)

Though one question, why was Sicily separated from the rest of Italia? I would imagine the island would be highly disputed with it's wealthy and value, however like the rest of Italian it's probably a Greek majority.

Who knows, maybe this is the something that could start tensions between the two most powerful states in the Mediterranean?
Well the independence of Italia was done completely by Roman hand, there was no rebellion or anything, just people knowing that Italia was not as Roman as the rest of the empire. I don't see why they wouldn't take Sicily if they could.

Greek culture in Italia--well, them being a majority is an average. However there are, somewhat, clear-cut regions of Latin and Greek culture. The territory of former Magna Graecia, with a little bit less in Sicily and extending much farther inland, most of the coast of Italia, especially the southern west coast and entire east coast, and the City of Rome itself, are on average 65% or so Greek. The inland, and northern west Coast except the city of Rome, is mostly Latin. And the big cities even in these Greek areas--they have large Latin minorities or small majorities.

BIOHAEMICA RUPTIO

Christianity was largely united. In the 520s, the vast majority of Christians were Catholics or Britannic Christians, and Britannic Christians were relatively isolated from the Catholics. However, small rifts had opened up from time to time between Catholics in different regions. Relations between Western and Eastern Catholicism were sabotaged by the two wars between the Roman Empires, the first leading to the Western seizure of Sardina and the province of Africa, the second leading to the seizure of Italy; however, both involved the Western Roman Empire attacking the Eastern Roman Empire while it was not only weak, but also fighting heathens in defense of Christianity.

In 527, Rhomaion was attacked by the Shapurids. The Bishop of Constantinopolis, and the Eastern Roman Emperor, begged the Roman Empire-Consulate for assistance against the heathens. No such help was given. The Bishop of Rome commented on the issue that the East was being punished for their sins. That was it, the East had had enough. The Bishop of Constantinopolis excommunicated the Bishop of Rome, and when the Bishop of Rome heard of this, he, in turn, excommunicated the Bishop of Constantinopolis.

Christianity was now split into three (major, with more minor) divisions. Britannic Christianity was led by the Pope, or Papa, of Londinium. Catholic Christianity was led by the Pope, or Papa, of Rome. Lastly, the Nomitrope [1] Church (which called itself the Nomitrope Catholic Church) was led by the Pater [2] of Constantinople. The Huns, Christians in the Slavic states, Christians in the Taurigothic Kingdom, Eastern Romans, and Christians throughout the Shapurid Rahbarate adhered to the Pater, while the rest of the Catholic states adhered to the Pope.

Shapurid troops advanced from the west, easily conquering small towns, until they reached Constantinopolis itself and began a siege. Shapurid ships blockaded the Strait to East Roman ships, and supplied the troops around Constantinopolis. Meanwhile, the Huns showed the first sign that they would become a power once again, by invading Crete with a fleet of warships and an army of Hun cavalry and Germanic mercenaries. Prior to the invasion, Akariyar of the Huns made a deal with Abas-Mashid Shapur. The Shapurids eyed Crete as well as Constantinopolis, but with a small, quick, and tidy payment, Abas-Mashid would give up that claim. The Huns, after all, could afford it--a sizable class of Hunnic merchantry had emerged ever since the breakup of their great Horde, leading to an equally sizable increase in prosperity.

Shapurid troops and ships invaded various Aegan islands. By 529, Crete was entirely under Hunnic control and all of the Eastern Roman Aegan islands were occupied by the Shapurids. Constantinopolis had been under siege for a year and a half. Abas-Mashid was content with waiting for the city to surrender from starvation; the entire rest of their nation had fallen, so waiting inferred no risk--and the walls were nigh-impossible to penetrate anyway, they had been fully repaired since the last siege. Half a year later, after a total of two years of siege, slaves managed to open one of the gates and Shapurid troops poured in. Intense fighting occurred for an hour, a sizable portion of the city caught fire, and one hour after the breach of the gates, the city surrendered. It was February 3rd, 530, and the Eastern Roman Empire had fallen.

After the conquest of the Aegan Islands and Constantinopolis, the Shapurid Rahbarate entered a new era--the entire Mediterranean World entered a new era. Indeed, modern historians mark February 3rd, 530 as the end of the Classical Age and the beginning of the Mediatempene [3] Age. Two days after the surrender of Constantinopolis, Abas-Mashid Shapur renamed the moderately-damaged but significantly-crippled city, which now only harbored 200,000 people, after many poor souls were lost to battle or starvation. The new name was Shahrestan, or, in Greek, Xorapolis [4], and it was designated as the capital, and the construction of a Royal District and a palace was commissioned in the destroyed area of the city. Zoharist officials from across the Rahbarate settled in this district, and so did Abas-Mashid, his Greek but Zoharist consort Zoe, as well as his only son. However, just two days after moving into his new palace after construction had finished, he died, on July 2nd, 538, to be succeeded by his son, Abd-Xanthipos Shapurid [5]. The greatest change to the Shapurid Rahbarate after the conquest of Rhomaion was incited by Abd-Xanthipos--he established Greek as the new state language, not only because it was now the most-spoken language, but also, and actually mostly, for trading purposes--the Yehuds in the Yehudahid Rahbarate were now reluctant to trade with the Western heretics, and the Shapurids would have to look north, west, and south for trading partners.

Alemannia seemed unstoppable. Faramondus’s army grew after the conquest of Burgundians, as many Burgundians offered to join his army; they either had no opportunities other than farming, or they had no opportunities at all (because the Alemannians had burned down their farms). Faramondus, now known as Faramondus the Great, invaded Langobardia in 528. 80,000 Alemannians, 25,000 various mercenaries, and 30,000 former Burgundians attacked Langobardia from all sides. Much in the same way that Remorica, with its Francian warfare and Celtic military traditions, had been a formidable foe, Langobardia was also a formidable foe, inheriting the barbaric Hunnic style of warfare (which, ironically, the actual Huns now lacked). Langobardia defended itself with more than 70,000 horse-mounted troops. It took 2 years and 50,000 deaths merely for the Alemannians to reach Parici, and another year and 30,000 deaths to siege it--the Langobardians were, in retrospect, extremely lucky. After the Alemannian army was reinforced, however, it took a mere month to conquer the rest of Langobardia, as all organization was destroyed with the capture of Parici, and all of their greatest generals died defending the city.

In 531, by the end of November, the Langobardian lands were firmly under Alemannian control. Faramondus the Great set up a vassal state and headed northeast to attack Frysklan. The 80,000 or so surviving veterans of the war with Langobardia, and 15,000 more troops, invaded. The Frysklan troops had nowhere near the numbers and were nowhere near as effective in battle...they may have been skilled hunters, and there may have been infrequent disputes within Frysklan, but the Alemannians picked up on many military techniques their recent enemies had used. A little bit less than a year passed, most of the land up to the Rhine was conquered and annexed into the Langobardian satellite state, and peace was made.

Faramondus headed southeast into Niedrhein. A little bit more than a year passed, and Niedrhein became yet another satellite state of the Alemannian empire--however, not without Faramondus’s death. As Faramondus II succeeded to the throne in January 534, Langobardia, Niedrhein, Burgundia, and Fhreinca entered their Post-Faramondian period, sometimes called the Puppet Years, because the nations were dominated by Alemannia.

Biohaemia was a multiethnic empire. In the south lived Latin-speaking peoples who considered themselves Romans. The rest of the kingdom was filled with Germanic peoples, such as the Doringians in the northwest, the Juthungians in the center of the nation, and the Rygians in the northeast. Throughout the entire empire were officials who considered themselves Biohaemian, and spoke Hunnic, Germanic Biohaemian, Latin, or any combination of the three. In 534, the king of Biohaemia, Ayarizich, died. Throughout his entire life, his right to the throne was questioned, as he was accused of being a bastard, though this accusation was probably false. All of Ayarizich’s heirs were also accused of being illegitimate, although these claims were probably also untrue. His heir apparent, however, Ayarizich II, was known, without a doubt, to be illegitimate. Even though Biohaemian succession law permitted illegitimate heirs to become the King, a succession war broke out within the Kingdom after Ayarizich succeeded to the throne, and by 536, the kingdoms of Doringen, Rygaland, and Jutheland had emerged, with a small remnant of former Biohaemia. The Huns to the south also invaded, siezing a large area east and southeast of the Alps.

While Central Europe was ravaged, fractures began to emerge in the Yehudahid Rahbarate...

[1] ‘Nomitrope’ and ‘Nomitropo’ are from Greek ‘νόμιμο τρόπο’, or ‘nómimo trópo’, literally ‘legal way’.
[2] ‘Pater’ being from both Latin ‘pater’ and Greek ‘πατέρας’, or ‘patéras’.
[3] ‘Mediatempene’ derives from Latin ‘media tempestas’.
[4] ‘Shahrestan’ is Persian for ‘large city’ or literally, ‘place of city’, and is composed of the word for city (‘shahr’) and the word for a place of something (stan). ‘Xorapolis’ is the Greek version of this name, composed of ‘xora’ or ‘chora’ for ‘land’, and ‘polis’ for ‘city’.
[5] Abas-Mashid’s Greek wife insisted on giving their son and only heir an at least partly-Greek name.

Last edited:
Map added.

remnants of rome17 - Copy.png

remnants of rome17 - Copy.png

Last edited: