Remnants of Rome

You sick fuck :(

Oh well, when do we expect an update? :D

I never said they wouldn't become part of an officially Greek empire again--just that it wouldn't be called the Eastern Roman Empire (Or that lame thing called Byzantium).

Of course that doesn't assure that Greece would become Greek-speaking again either...

Today or tomorrow.

I never said they wouldn't become part of an officially Greek empire again--just that it wouldn't be called the Eastern Roman Empire (Or that lame thing called Byzantium).

Of course that doesn't assure that Greece would become Greek-speaking again either...

Today or tomorrow.

I joke.

I see the implications of the Rhomanians falling apart.

Today or tomorrow.
Wait so maybe it could encompass all of the balkans too perhaps?

Wait so maybe it could encompass all of the balkans too perhaps?
Maybe, maybe...

(I'm going to refrain from answering questions that deal with far-off or somewhat-far-off things, so that people don't get disappointed if that's not what happens, so that I'm not constrained by what I said earlier (outside of an update, anyway), and so that there's a reason to read the TL Or if I do, I will be unclear.)

Maybe, maybe...

(I'm going to refrain from answering questions that deal with far-off or somewhat-far-off things, so that people don't get disappointed if that's not what happens, so that I'm not constrained by what I said earlier (outside of an update, anyway), and so that there's a reason to read the TL Or if I do, I will be unclear.)

Well I think about the two empires since at the age of constanine he bounded serfs to there land so could there eventually be a reform to perhaps abolish serfdom or is that too asb and far off?:eek:

Well I think about the two empires since at the age of constanine he bounded serfs to there land so could there eventually be a reform to perhaps abolish serfdom or is that too asb and far off?:eek:

Considering there's not much land in Rhomanian hands, this is an non issue

Nomad

Banned
Saw all the TL.Nice one.Zoharist seem like Zoroastrist or something,but got universalist crap extended to all and Islamic-like ways.Nice combination :p
Damn,when is the next update?I'd like to see Jewish Goths and the Zoharists falling aparts,really :D

Saw all the TL.Nice one.Zoharist seem like Zoroastrist or something,but got universalist crap extended to all and Islamic-like ways.Nice combination :p
Damn,when is the next update?I'd like to see Jewish Goths and the Zoharists falling aparts,really :D

And some stuff mixed with Judaism and Christianity.

Soon I just have to make the map now

FISSURA

The Kingdom of Alemannia, after the collapse of Langobardia, was the largest and most powerful nation in Gaul. This, combined with the fact that it had been largely at peace for decades, allowing it to consolidate, put the kingdom in a ripe position for expansion. And expand it did.

Faramondus, they called him. He ascended to the throne of Alemannia in 516. Immediately he demanded 90,000 mostly horse-mounted troops. Faramondus commenced an invasion of Remorica in 517 with these troops and sizable portion preexisting forces, about 15,000 troops of the standing army. The Remoricans were unable to hold back invasion soon after their peak, and now, with most of their old empire gone, they were helpless. 18,000 troops were no match for 105,000, and the Alemannians surged into Remorica--at first. The ways of Francian warfare and the Celtic warband had not been forgotten. At least 30,000 troops were raised to fight back the Alemannians. That was still not enough to hold back the Alemannian forces, but it was enough to convince Faramondus to call off the attack, too many losses for too little gain. Due to this Remorica managed to retain its Celtic core. Now the kingdom was mostly Brythonic, and due to this the names Fhreinca and Areimorca now became the most common.

The invasion of Remorica was not as simple as Faramondus thought it would be, but in the end it was successful. Faramondus appointed his son, also named Faramondus, as a general. Both led armies of about 50,000 Alemannians and 10,000 Remorican mercenaries each. Like father like son, Faramondus I and Faramondus II attacked Burgundia, Faramondus I from the west and Faramondus II from the south. Burgundia was more prepared for the initial attack than Remorica, but Alemannia was now more powerful. After two years of fighting, the Burgundians were forced to cede all but a small region north of and including the Alps.

Aganaric II converted to the Jewish faith in 518. So did his sons, and his wife. In 519, Aganaric II made Judaism the official religion of the Taurigothic Kingdom, beginning a slow but steady spread of the religion throughout the Kingdom. By the end 526, about 20% of Taurigoths were Jews. These Jewish communities were spread about the entire Kingdom, but mostly concentrated along the coasts, delltas, and the Crimean peninsula itself.

Italia was not as Roman as the rest of the Empire-Consulate. Its inhabitants knew this and so did the people of the rest of the Empire-Consulate. Not even the city of Rome was Roman--in Iberia, it was called Graecia Parva, or Little Greece. Velusius was elected as one of the Flavitirani in 521, along with another patrician from Italia, Archeos, though he was Greek. The people of Italia were more difficult to tax, revolting when tax rates were raised to match that of most of the other provinces, and they were opposed to being conscripted into or volunteering to join the army. Quite un-Roman! Combined with the fact that the province of Italia was nearly independent anyway, and that Italians were the two Flavitirani, Italia was allowed independence in 522, on the conditions that it would assist the Empire-Consulate militarily if needed, and Roman merchants would be allowed in all of its ports.

Zarin I Yehudahid felt comfortable on the throne. His position was sanctioned by Ahura himself. But not all felt as if he was the rightful Rahbar. Ever since Zohar died, some claimed to be his rightful successor. Khodadad II Yehudahid succeeded to the throne after Khodadad I, but he was a bastard--and after that, the amount of claimants and pretenders increased, but they were never a large problem. However a man named Abas-Mashid Shapur, who always distrusted Zarin I, though never showed it, was one of these people. He claimed to be descended from Khodadad-Abd-Abas Yehudah (who was also son of Khodadad I, but according to Abas, not illegitimate).

Abas-Mashid Shapur was formerly a general and at this point was now the governor of Maqedunya. He had served in the war with the Eastern Romans and the war with the Caucasian kingdoms. He made little impact on the former war and was the chief general of the latter war, although the latter war was quick and largely insignificant. The last combat he saw as a general was putting down a revolt in the province of which he would then become governor. Abas-Mashid Shapur did, however, manage to garner the support of many Kehsi [1] whose beliefs did not align with those in the East. He also knew many adherents to western Zoharism and other claimants as well--who he conspired with.

Most Kehsi in predominantly non-Zoharist lands were ones whose beliefs did not align with those in the East. The Zoharist faith is considered to have officialy split in 519, into the eastern Yehud Zoharism and western Qanun Zoharism [2]. However the split was much more gradual and can be considered to have started as early as the coronation of Khodadad II in 480. In 520, Abas-Mashid Shapur declared himself the Rahbar of a new Shapurid Rahbarate.

Abas-Mashid Shapur initiated a revolt in Maqedunya immediately after the declaration. Soon, other Qunan Zoharist communities began revolting. The Rahbarate was thrown into chaos. Though in the West most Kehsi, and Zoharists in general, followed Qanun Zoharism, some were loyalists. And in the East, too, some were not Yehud Zoharists. Lastly, of course, there were large populations of Zoroastrians, Christians, and some Jews throughout the Rahbarate.

For the first year after the war, the western half of the Rahbarate was a battlefield between Qanun Zoharists, Yehud Zoharists, and small amounts of revolting Christians, Jews, and Zoroastrians. Only one actual movement of armies occurred, a Yehudahid army pushing to Ctesiphon, which was surrounded by Qanuns. By mid 521, Qanuns had established hegemony in the west.

The Rahbarate had, since its inception, practiced a system of occasionally enslaving the children of revolting heathens, or heathens who had committed a crime, or conquered people during a war, training them to be skilled soldiers, and they were encouraged to become Zoharists. Abas-Mashid Shapur, during the war, expanded this system, doing it not just occasionally, but whenever possible--although the war did not last long enough for most of these soldiers, called Slakhalivas, meaning Slavs (even though most were Greeks or Copts), to compose a majority of the army.

Abas-Mashid Shapur gathered an army of 25,000 Slakhalivas and 30,000 conscripts and charged east to conquer Ctesiphon. Two other armies of 35,000 each defended northern Mesopotamia and Armenia, and one army of 10,000 defended western Arabia. The Yehudahid Rahbarate had numerical superiority almost everywhere. The attempt to conquer Ctesiphon failed and nearly all of Mesopotamia was conquered by the Yehudahids. The Yehudahids even pushed to Damascus. However the Shapurid Rahbarate, with 40,000 mercenaries from Makuria and Aksum, and 45,000 troops from the remnants of Abas’ army and the Mesopotamian army, broke the siege of Damascus. For two years fighting was rare and the war was a stalemate.

In November 525, peace was established between the Shapurid and Yehudahid Rehbarates. In the aftermath of the war, hundreds of thousands of Yehuds and Qanuns fled Shapurid and Yehudahid land respectively. 17,000 of the surviving mercenaries from Makuria and Aksum were given Greek and Persian slaves and allowed to settle in the new city of Sahr-Nuubi, built in a rather empty part of Maqedunya, as long as they converted to Qanun Zoharism. This is seen as the birth of the Nuubi ethnic group. Lastly, the inland Arab tribes, which were mostly solitary and not affected by the Rahbar’s decisions anyway, became mostly independent, not by any decree--control was simply lost.

Zoharism was split at the seams, though it would not be the only faith to undergo such a change.

[1] Kehsi are religious and communal leaders in Zoharism.
[2] Qanun referred to ‘law’. Qanun Zoharists called themselves many names at first, among them Shapurs and Dins (meaning religion). Later Kafar was used; ironically, it referred to a nonbeliever, and was a derogatory term used by Yehud Zoharists. It fell out of use because of this.

Last edited:
Map is separate.

remnants of rome16 - Copy.png

remnants of rome16 - Copy.png

Last edited:
A small hope for Greece. OTL most of Greece was overrun by invaders and effectively ceased to exist as anything remotely Greek/Byzantine but was later reconquered and resettled so if the remnant Byzantines can recover to a limited degree over time...I might add that most of those resettled did NOT consider Greece a place they wanted to move to.

Perhaps if the permission/support of the Shapurids could be gained vis a vis Akaja or Atinija first?

Greek is now the majority language of the Shapurid Rahbarate.

The Greeks are, arguably, at their best right now. They are now a slight majority in Italy, and most of Bulgaria, Macedonia, Anatolia, Syria, and small communities in the Levant and Egypt are Greek. Comparatively, Greece itself is small and too mountainous.

I guess I understand the reasoning behind granting Italia independence, but there is absolutely no reason they would give up Sicilia. It wouldn't matter how un-roman they were, Sicilia a) has never been a part of the province of Italia and b) is simply too rich a province to give up. There is too much grain, too many mines, and too many ports to give it up. Its importance really can't be understated.

tjvuse

Banned
Great update Xwarq and well done for keeping this time line interesting.

Some really great artistic balkanization at work in the Middle East:D.I am happy that the butter fly time line hasn't turned too wankish with any of the major Empires yet.

P.S i CANT wait too see the the butter fly effects on China and the rest of South Asia.