The Death of Russia - TL

I guess that blond hair will give stronger implications to anime character design ITTL, which - as opposed to being randomly-decided as their aesthetic - will signal either being this, or being a boisterous or even promiscuous gyaru.
I'd think that gyarus would still pop up in anime because the style was influenced by American fashion and it's connotations will still be present ittl. It's just that there'll be more blonde archetypes.

I'd think that gyarus would still pop up in anime because the style was influenced by American fashion and it's connotations will still be present ittl. It's just that there'll be more blonde archetypes.
Yeah, that's exactly why I've thrown that in; I'm claiming that as opposed to being a random, aesthetic choice beyond the gyarus, blonde hair will be much more meaningful in many of TTL's anime character design as another "major character archetype" is added in.

While far from being universal, silver hair has been a popular choice for Russian characters IOTL, after all.

That's why I am really left wondering what is the exact series that introduced the archetype, and its genre as well; is it from a crude shōnen comedy as a personality quirk, or a shōjo series as one of the FL's rival?

I can also see titles like One Piece introducing new characters that feature that archetype.
Speaking of anime, I can’t imagine what hetalia would be like ITTL (if it even existed).
Speak about the show being unfunny ITTL, specifically for the topic of the Eastern Front.

Honestly, what I'm really excited to see would be Lebed's forces dealing with the bratva up north in Norilsk and other cities and where Siberian and FEK forces shake hands/meet.

Oh god, remember how popular Billy Joel was in Russia? His song Leningrad will probably be seen as far harsher in hindsight as Victor’s country tears itself apart.

Last edited:
That's why I am really left wondering what is the exact series that introduced the archetype, and its genre as well; is it from a crude shōnen comedy as a personality quirk, or a shōjo series as one of the FL's rival?

For completeness, I'll say the series was Love Hina.

This line and the other stuff that was mentioned makes me seriously wonder why any Russians are supporting the communist in this civil war beyond a mix of nostalgia and terror, I get the fascist who basically sells the usual racist narrative and as such would gain support from Russian who might gain something at the expense of minorities, but it seems like the commies are just making everyone miserable, majorities and minorities alike.

It's 90% nostalgia and terror, and another 10% revulsion to the idea of fairly naked Fascism due to WW2. If you are ethnically Russian, you will have an easier life (albeit still terrifying) under the Fascists than Anpilov.

Last edited:
Oh god, remember how popular Billy Joel was in Russia? His song Leningrad will probably be seen as far harsher in hindsight as Victor’s country tears itself apart.

In general, a lot of the small tastes of democracy, and Western culture, namely the massive pro-democracy crowds in the lead up to 1991 to Metallica's first concert in Moscow respectively for instance, are gonna be way harsher in hindsight. A look into what could've been and the tragedy nobody saw coming until it was already happening. Even Gorby's Pizza Hut commercial will probably be seen more somberly rather than just a punchline.

Speaking of Gorby if he's not trying to promote charity work in Russia, I imagine he's just completely retreated into his private life out of sorrow. Dude just saw his proudest achievement quite literally burst into flames, I'd be depressed to.

For completeness, I'll say the series was Love Hina.

And another RomCom recommendation straight into my ever growing watchlist.

How would Rutskoy and Khasbulatov be seen ITTL with how they led the Parliament during the 1993 Crisis and all that? I imagine they'd be seen as figures who unwittingly unleashed a monster on both Russia and the world, a monster that ended up devouring them with how the former died when the plane he was on was bombed and the latter was made to join a "Honorary Russian Battalion" and was killed when he stepped on a land mine.

How would Rutskoy and Khasbulatov be seen ITTL with how they led the Parliament during the 1993 Crisis and all that? I imagine they'd be seen as figures who unwittingly unleashed a monster on both Russia and the world, a monster that ended up devouring them with how the former died when the plane he was on was bombed and the latter was made to join a "Honorary Russian Battalion" and was killed when he stepped on a land mine.

Khasbulatov is seen as a victim as he was killed in a genocide and Rutskoy gets seen as a Von Papen figure who may not be evil but remains compromised by his compromises.

American and Turkish boots on the ground - risky, but a good plan. Hope Bin Laden catches a missile.

Clinton got a nice bump there. Hope he keeps it in his pants this time.

Wonder how America takes having the FEK as neighbours across the Bering? Does Alaska send supplies?

Good that he FEK became the bridge between SE and Japan.

"This is what it was to be made in the USSR: the indifference to individual life." - very powerful line there.

"Make sure not to drop it, otherwise you’ll kill more people than just yourself.” - oh dear. Things are about to get really nasty aren't they.

Wishing Arkady Babchenko all the best in getting out.

Wonder if Moscow is ever rebuilt or will it remain a ruined memorial to this madness?

What a chapter @Sorairo

I'm relieved someone has finally noticed.
Everyone, quick - we need a bingo card for shout-outs!

Here are some guesses of mine (it does not need to be limited to anime, mind 'ya):

- the American tourist touring the Russian Warlords in TNO
- Balalaika
- Twilight
- Anna Nishikinomiya
- Betsy Beltoise

Last edited:
Considering that China has already invaded NK and that SK and Japan are allying together what will Taiwan and Hong Kong's policies be on China?

I'd think Hong Kong would be much more ambivalent on becoming a special administrative region even if it's been decided before the pod but I think we'd see more resistance towards the handover and more HK ppl would emigrate. Idk how that'd affect Chinese politics but I'd think China would be more subtle in dealing with Hong Kong for now because everyone knows if Hong Kong's rights are not respected China would lose a lot of opportunities.

On Taiwan similar movements may happen with less and less ppl being supportive of China since it basically occupied someone who's not part of their lands.

Wonder if Moscow is ever rebuilt or will it remain a ruined memorial to this madness?

I can't see Moscow ever re-built at least not completely. Perhaps some people will move there later but I doubt that. There is nothing left, nothing. And in Western Russia would be so few people left that there hardly would be enough of them moving there in masse anyway. At best I can see there being some small town in 2022 where population wouldn't be much higher than 10 000.

I can't see Moscow ever re-built at least not completely. Perhaps some people will move there later but I doubt that. There is nothing left, nothing. And in Western Russia would be so few people left that there hardly would be enough of them moving there in masse anyway. At best I can see there being some small town in 2022 where population wouldn't be much higher than 10 000.
Eh, we rebuilt Warsaw after WW2 even though the Germans levelled the city in 1944. And sure, the further out from the center you get the less historic it is, but all in all Warsaw has rebounded. Unless Moscow stays forever divided and Western Russia is never reunited by either faction, I reckon that whoever is in charge will rebuild the city, and people will return to it, just like they did to Warsaw after WW2

Eh, we rebuilt Warsaw after WW2 even though the Germans levelled the city in 1944. And sure, the further out from the center you get the less historic it is, but all in all Warsaw has rebounded. Unless Moscow stays forever divided and Western Russia is never reunited by either faction, I reckon that whoever is in charge will rebuild the city, and people will return to it, just like they did to Warsaw after WW2
I get the feeling that Moscow is about to get -more- than leveled if Vlad’s comments about needing a hazmat suit is any indication.

I get the feeling that Moscow is about to get -more- than leveled if Vlad’s comments about needing a hazmat suit is any indication.
I'm betting on tactical dirty bombs or some other sort of short-range hacked together WMDs in Moscow. At the end of this, there really may be no safe way to rebuild if they are throwing anthrax or suitcase nukes at each other.

Also, something more terrifying that I just realized - the USSR was the only other country to keep samples of smallpox when it was eradicated. I have no clue where OTL Russia/USSR kept their stock of the virus, but hopefully some good samaritan realized the danger of reintroducing smallpox and destroyed the samples, or they were otherwise destroyed. If they weren't and one of the former NSF factions weaponized it, smallpox could become to only disease to come back from the dead.